HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

48 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If you're going to axe both GM and head coach, gotta do GM first. 

Agree.  I just hope they (a) don't botch the new GM hire and (b) actually fire the coaching staff.  I'm sort of standing by to see what they do next.  As between Hextall and Hakstol, I preferred that Hakstol be fired.  I won't like it much if it turns out that Hextall is the only one to get fired.  I can't believe that will be the case, though.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, csummers said:

Lets see now, I got called pretty much every troll name in the book for saying this was the problem.........hmmm. You guys sit here in a circle convincing yourself that every bad move Hextall made is just part of some master plan. 

Hextall ruined this team, I told you, but because I saw it long before you guys did you couldnt accept it. If you actually welcomed different opinions, instead of just calling the person names, you might get actual intelligent comments from knowledgeable hockey fans who have played and coached at high levels,

like this guy, ME,

how about you crawl back under your rock ?

31 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I hear ya...but if he can bring Sutter here having had LA ties with him, that works for me. Then Lombardi can hit the road too, for all intents and purposes.

If the Flyers back up a truck full of money on to Sutter's farm it could happen, but he specifically mentioned anything out of the range of Alberta is not high on his list. He wants to be near his grandchildren.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

If the Flyers back up a truck full of money on to Sutter's farm it could happen, but he specifically mentioned anything out of the range of Alberta is not high on his list. He wants to be near his grandchildren.

Well, one thing is for sure. They have NEVER been shy about giving a truck full of money to anyone.

Sutter isn't coming here.  I'm not even sure I'd want him, honestly.

I just hope that Hakstol is canned.  It's a little weird to me that he was doing interviews today.  I would love to know if the org made him available.  Seems odd to me that the org would make him available if he's truly a dead man.  Maybe he was made available by strong request by the media, which I could understand.  It also seems odd that they didn't relieve both of them at the same time.  If you're firing the GM because the GM won't fire the coach, wouldn't you fire both at the same time?  What purpose does it serve to keep the coach around after firing the GM?

Watch them appoint Dean Lombardi as interim GM and keep Hakstol.

Edited to add: as a reminder, they canned Clarke and Hitchcock at the same time because Clarke wouldn't fire Hitch.  If Hextall was fired because he wouldn't fire Hakstol, stands to reason they would take the same approach.  Holmgren was on the scene back then.

Dean Lombardi was trying to maximize the kopitar, brown, doughty, quick, carter window.

We saw it with the Phillies and the Rollins Utley Howard core group.

I would push as many chips as I had into the middle on that group also. 

So yes the Kings are fuqued however they have two cup replicas in the trophy case and have had two parades.

I'd like to get to that point, where the cupboards are bare but its because lots of winning has happened.

For the last 20 years the Flyers have had the carnage without the winning. 

I hope whomever is next doesn't revert to the recent mean.

23 minutes ago, vis said:

If you're firing the GM because the GM won't fire the coach, wouldn't you fire both at the same time?  What purpose does it serve to keep the coach around after firing the GM?

I think there are a number of reasons why you would choose to fire them separately... 

1. You are ready to announce a new GM *tomorrow*, but new GM does not have a coaching staff ready to go until after tomorrow's game (when they have a 3 day break). No sense firing Hak and having Knob be interim for a few days. They have a game tomorrow. 

The eventual headline in a few days would be "Yzerman announced new GM; hires Quenneville as head coach," instead of "GM-less Flyers fire Hakstol too; Inmates running the asylum."

Much more positive spin :)

2. You are ready to announce a new GM, and have already had talks with a coach you want (e.g. Q) - but he either has not made a decision yet or wants to wait until the offseason.

3. You have no new GM yet, and will focus on that first. When that's done, the new GM will evaluate the coaching staff and do what he sees fit. 

4. #LoseforHughes

And probably a dozen more scenarios. 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think there are a number of reasons why you would choose to fire them separately... 

1. You are ready to announce a new GM *tomorrow*, but new GM does not have a coaching staff ready to go until after tomorrow's game (when they have a 3 day break). No sense firing Hak and having Knob be interim for a few days. They have a game tomorrow. 

The eventual headline in a few days would be "Yzerman announced new GM; hires Quenneville as head coach," instead of "GM-less Flyers fire Hakstol too; Inmates running the asylum."

2. You are ready to announce a new GM, and have already had talks with a coach you want (e.g. Q) - but he either has not made a decision yet or wants to wait until the offseason.

3. You have no new GM yet, and will focus on that first. When that's done, the new GM will evaluate the coaching staff and do what he sees fit. 

4. #LoseforHughes

All good possibilities.

With all i was think back when Clarke and Homer were GM's it always seemed like rumors of moves they were going to make or were thinking about making would somehow leak out from the loose lips sink ships method they had about their duties.

However when Rontook over all that ended and we never heard anything because he ran a tight ship and i wonder in order to maintain that did Ron keep his moves and ideas to himself and away from his bosses basically to insure that hey if i don't tell anyone what i am going to do no way can the tell it mentality maybe rub them the wrong way.

Anyways was just thinking about after all that has went down.

KYW News Radio coverage cited a philosophical difference between the GM and his superiors.  I don't know if that's the patience thing or broader principles of team building. 

The latter is more interesting. I guess we find out more at tomorrow's news conference.  Offing the coach may be only part of the puzzle if this moves beyond patience.  Then the questions turn to drafting, etc.  

Poile and Karkalinen (sp) would be the two mentors I'd seek in terms of breeding grounds (Nashville, Columbus).  Tampa Bay is another. 

Starting with the GM tells me Comcast was concerned about this team's spiral.  

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

4. #LoseforHughes

Fair points on all.  But then why also make him available to the media?  I just have an uneasy feeling about this.

I suppose if Hextall didn't want to fire Hakstol, then there has been no outreach to potential replacement coaches at this point.  So, given the game on Tuesday, they probably aren't in position to fire the coaches in case they need someone to actually coach against Ottawa.

10 minutes ago, vis said:

So, given the game on Tuesday, they probably aren't in position to fire the coaches in case they need someone to actually coach against Ottawa.

Do you think we'd notice?

Would the team?

😎

I am at work and haven’t read every post in this thread. I am not sure if this has been mentioned once or 10x already but I cannot believe Dave Hakstol was the hill Ron Hextall was willing to die over........

9 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I am at work and haven’t read every post in this thread. I am not sure if this has been mentioned once or 10x already but I cannot believe Dave Hakstol was the hill Ron Hextall was willing to die over........

I honestly don't buy the argument.    It comes down to the team being sideways for the past handful of years.   While Hexy did a good job digging us out of cap hell this team has not come any closer to being a contender while othe teams are competing at a higher level and rebuilding. 

If you believe the word that Homer was approached by Scott then you have to believe comcast finally saw the writing of the wall. You can literally buy a Flyers ticket on stubhub for a few bucks these days and the stands are half full.   

Hak is gone and it is a matter of time so everyone saying this was done in the wrong order is fooling themselves.    This is Hextall team and he ignored major issues for too long.    You can't take a step forward by signing just Jvr while you ignore the most glaring of issues... Goalie, C3 and defense. 

Not sure why folks are so perplexed over this move to be honest.    

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Probably a lot of factors led to his firing.  But hopefully the refusal to move on from the coach was the final straw.  GMs don't typically get fired in the middle of the season.  So, I kind of think this may have been in the works for a little while. 

I have to imagine the owners and upper management have not been pleased with the complaints about the product and the dwindling attendance.  The team has become irrelevant and the fanbase has become so apathetic toward the team that Gritty is the only thing that gets any sort of coverage or reaction.  When your mascot generates more excitement than your team, there are problems.  I could see Hextall wanting to stick to his plan and stand by Hakstol and be willing to die for his principals.  I just think that's the kind of guy he is.

I hate John Boruk but his words tonight seemed to be very straightforward.    He basically claimed that Hexy did not lean on any of his colleagues and compared him to Chip Kelly. 

Also claimed Hextall was the reason the Flyers changed the date of the Carnival.   Said he was basically involved in everything the team did including their diet and how they practiced. 

Maybe Hextall was too authoritarian in his approach and did not look to his counterparts for help.   Not saying this is right but interesting indeed.... 

40 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Not sure why folks are so perplexed over this move to be honest.    

Agree that Hextall's failures to address the team needs that you mentioned are probably reason enough to result in his firing.  However, he's also done a lot of good in terms of drafting talent (of course, having Nolan Patrick fall in your lap helps).  So, I thought that would give him some extra rope (which was then used to hang him).

I also think it's surprising since usually the coach is fired before the GM.  If a new coach can't get it done, then conventional thinking is that it's time to move on from the GM (with new coach also typically getting fired).  So, the timeline is a bit out of the ordinary.

42 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Man, when you put it that way, it really does look bad on Ronnie doesn't it?

I don't think so. He does gain my respect by saying f**k you i'm sticking by his principles.

Right or wrong.

I get it.

Just for perspective though...

So even though i think he did a great job moving bad contracts out and stacking picks and giving them true actual prospects his downfall was when it come to adding already in the NHL talent.

Or continuing to stick with guys like Weal.

So his head rolled and i can understand why.

And as @ruxpin put it and changed my mind he was right it was the right order.

They are going to find the next GM and let him decide on everything who stays and who goes from Hak on down.

However i do think if they lose to Ottawa they could ahead and relieve Hak and have for example Knoblauch take over till the GM is in place.

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I hate John Boruk but his words tonight seemed to be very straightforward.    He basically claimed that Hexy did not lean on any of his colleagues and compared him to Chip Kelly. 

Also claimed Hextall was the reason the Flyers changed the date of the Carnival.   Said he was basically involved in everything the team did including their diet and how they practiced. 

Maybe Hextall was too authoritarian in his approach and did not look to his counterparts for help.   Not saying this is right but interesting indeed.... 

Wow.  Strong words if true.  I usually don't put a lot of stock in what Boruk has to say, but that's very interesting. 

I'm not sure if I buy the idea that he doesn't lean on his colleagues.  He seemed to lean pretty heavily on Chris Pryor and the rest of the staff for the drafts.  I don't know how he's utilized Barry Hanrahan or Dean Lombardi.  Although, you have to imagine that Hextall did consult with Lombardi sometimes given their past relationship.  I do think Hextall and Hakstol had a close relationship and maybe Hextall was more involved in the day-to-day coaching and personnel decisions than other GMs might be (figuring that those two wanted to work together that way).  

Archived