HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-relieve-ron-hextall--philadelphia-flyers/c-302307530

"The Flyers organization has decided to relieve Ron Hextall of his duties as Executive Vice President and General Manager. We thank Ron for his many significant contributions, but it has become clear that we no longer share the same philosophical approach concerning the direction of the team. In light of these differences, we feel it's in the organization's best interests to make a change, effective immediately. I have already begun a process to identify and select our next General Manager, which we hope to complete as soon as possible." 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, radoran said:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers-relieve-ron-hextall--philadelphia-flyers/c-302307530

"The Flyers organization has decided to relieve Ron Hextall of his duties as Executive Vice President and General Manager. We thank Ron for his many significant contributions, but it has become clear that we no longer share the same philosophical approach concerning the direction of the team. In light of these differences, we feel it's in the organization's best interests to make a change, effective immediately. I have already begun a process to identify and select our next General Manager, which we hope to complete as soon as possible." 

WTF is this a joke???

Hextall out before his coach???

Or will he follow??

1 minute ago, VanIsleFlyer said:

Wow, would have thought Hakstol would have been fired first, so I’m shocked, but I get the impatience from upper management! 

No doubt....unless that will follow after the GM is selected.

I'm just floored right now.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF is this a joke???

Hextall out before his coach???

Or will he follow??

That is odd, maybe they got them confused with each other due to the similar names?

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

No doubt....unless that will follow after the GM is selected.

I'm just floored right now.

Ya, I’m guessing new GM will take a look and probably bring in a new coaching team, but not sure when! Tough to do in season, like right now! 

Snider must have talked to Holmgren in a dream! Lol. 

5 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I'm guessing Hextall refused to fire Hakstol, so he fell on the sword.  Very disappointing.

I'm guessing you're 100% correct. He went to bat for Hakstol, and the brass decided they'd had enough.

Honestly, part of me definitely feels he had it coming for not gutting the coaching staff in the off season. He was too conservative and unwilling to shake the boat when things were very clearly going in the wrong direction. This is what you get imo.

I also have no doubt Hakstol will follow suit. My bigger question now is who they have in mind for GM replacement. I can't imagine they'd do this without having someone in their sights.

holy moly, well no goaltender, a dumbass coach, no upgrades to areas of need despite the cap space.

It's not entirely a surprise.

Something had to happen.

I think Hextall did some really good things, undoing the Holmgren years, the subsequent cap hell and paucity of prospects.

This team should be poised to take a step foward and that wasn't happening. 

he got about 70% right, his moves or lack there of in free agency and trades were probably his undoing.

tough to lose your job because of dale weise, dave hakstol and misha vorobyev

not sure I agree this was the right move at the right time... i think the whole coaching staff could have been tossed off the ship before Hexy, who hasn't been perfect himself. this to me smells of a classic Homer and Clarke "reload not rebuild" strategy. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

My bigger question now is who they have in mind for GM replacement. I can't imagine they'd do this without having someone in their sights.

Bob Clarke... tanned, rested, and ready...

😎

Just now, mkscrewy said:

not sure I agree this was the right move at the right time... i think the whole coaching staff could have been tossed off the ship before Hexy, who hasn't been perfect himself. this to me smells of a classic Homer and Clarke "reload not rebuild" strategy. 

I gotta believe what others have suggested - that he wouldn't pull the trigger on Hakstol - precipitated this.

To that end, I don't really know that they had anyone in mind to replace him. Although... Dean Lombardi is available...

1 minute ago, mkscrewy said:

I agree 100% that it is the wrong order, however as the press release and other posters have suggested he must have refused orders to do something (probably to fire Hak) which is likely what is meant by "it has become clear that we no longer share the same philosophical approach concerning the direction of the team."

18 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I'm guessing Hextall refused to fire Hakstol, so he fell on the sword.  Very disappointing.

Sounds like it to me....

Ron Hextall didn’t share "the same philosophical approach” as his bosses.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

And so the “new 5 year” process begins.... oh boy..:dizzysmiley-1:

Oh dear gawd....and that count down truly can't start ticking down to the new Gm arrives....and evaluates everything...

i think Homertold Ron to make a move or something....and when Hextall responded by sending NAK down and calling Goulbourne up he was probably pissed and told him that isn't what he meant!!!!!

Just saw on my mobile device . WOW. I think as always Flyers has no patient to wait for something better. Problem is not him problem is defense not playing well all games, all goalies are really bad !. that is his fault 100 % .   

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Again, still amazed that Paul Holmgren is employed by this organization.

Is anyone else sanguine that he will pick "the right guy" this time?

'cause I'm not...

you took the words right from my keyboard.

makes me wonder if the chairman were still alive would this have shaken out the same way ?

Archived