HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point-form thoughts:

-Hextall must have refused to fire the coach.

-An even bigger issue: he's been on the job for 5 or 6 years now and still doesn't have a goalie.

-He badly hosed the organization with the Schenn deal.

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

holy moly, well no goaltender, a dumbass coach, no upgrades to areas of need despite the cap space.

It's not entirely a surprise.

Something had to happen.

I think Hextall did some really good things, undoing the Holmgren years, the subsequent cap hell and paucity of prospects.

This team should be poised to take a step foward and that wasn't happening. 

he got about 70% right, his moves or lack there of in free agency and trades were probably his undoing.

tough to lose your job because of dale weise, dave hakstol and misha vorobyev

Hextall had the right philosophy but seemed to lack the ability to assemble a cohesive team. The team rarely played a full 60 minutes, they had no PK, and seemed unable to consistently play with fire and structure.

I am curious to see how this team plays when they also bring in a new coach. Was it Hakstol or was it the players? I suspect it was a lot of both.

I am not sure what the future holds, but if Holmgren takes over as GM, say goodbye to 2nd round draft picks and building through the draft. Which is a shame because I was hoping the team would commit to trading away assets (Voracek, Simmonds) to fortify its draft position as it is clear that the Flyers are not legit Cup contenders this year, coupled with the fact that the top 5 prospects in the draft are studs.

Also, whoever they bring in needs to have the ability to develop a goaltender. I honestly would have fired Hextall for his handling of Carter Hart. Hart is getting bombarded with high quality scoring chances on a nightly basis in the AHL; he is struggling as a result of it and his confidence cannot be buoyed playing on the Phantoms. I liken it to drafting a QB in the first round and starting him behind a terrible offensive line. Inevitably, the QB's confidence erodes and/or he gets hurt, no matter how talented he is.

1 hour ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I'm guessing Hextall refused to fire Hakstol, so he fell on the sword.  Very disappointing.

Definitely.  New GM will fire the coach and bring in his own guy.

I disagree with those who say this is not Ron's fault. Respectfully disagree.  Hakstol was his man so he is responsible for that hire. Hak may have been a good college coach but the NHL is another level that he is/was not prepared for.  Just look at the number of games the team seemed to be unprepared for and what in-game management  faults were obvious.  Give the man a chance but this is the forth year and as most have cited, we're still stuck in neutral.

Entire staff need a changing of the guard.  Why were  they not fired in the off season?

New GM will not "develop" a goalie and can only draft or trade for one.  We probably have a couple in the minors.  I agree with trading some players who will not be in their prime when this team is ready to contend.  I'm for coach Q if he'll have this bunch and definitely not Gordon.

16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Ok, enough with the what couldas and what wouldas, time to focus on a replacement GM:

In my mind, there's only one candidate with the chops: Gritty. Make it happen Holmes!

Dammit Pods! Get out of my head!  LOL  I was just going to type the very same thing! LOL

GRITTY!  ..... GRITTY! ...... GRITTY! .......

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Dammit Pods! Get out of my head!  LOL  I was just going to type the very same thing! LOL

GRITTY!  ..... GRITTY! ...... GRITTY! >>>>>>

Lol, I took a quick look, was surprised it wasn't there yet. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I'm guessing you're 100% correct. He went to bat for Hakstol, and the brass decided they'd had enough.

Honestly, part of me definitely feels he had it coming for not gutting the coaching staff in the off season. He was too conservative and unwilling to shake the boat when things were very clearly going in the wrong direction. This is what you get imo.

I also have no doubt Hakstol will follow suit. My bigger question now is who they have in mind for GM replacement. I can't imagine they'd do this without having someone in their sights.

Paul Holmgren has someone in mind, himself! Just kidding but I hope not.  On TSN website they were mentioning Chuck Fletcher and Ron Francis as possible replacements. But I do agree upper management told Hextall to get rid of Hakstol and he probably refused, so I won't be surprised in the next couple of days the Flyers will axe him also. I'm sure Clarkie and Holmgren weren't impressed of the 6-0 loss to the Leafs were there wasn't a single penalty in the game. With Clarke and Holmgren in charge, I'm sure an on slot of trades of the young players for veterans will be coming soon!

This is nuts.

Not gonna say Hextall was free n clear of ANY blame for the fortunes of the current team ( I wish MORE organizations would look at the GM before firing a coach), but man...IMO, Hextall had done LOTS to undo the tangled idiotic mess that was left to him when he took the job.

I get that the team by now should have been trending better, but sheesh...did ANYONE expect the Holmgren Administration mess to be cleared up overnight???
I mean...that's like asking Chernobyl to be tidied up before the weekend because the Sultan is visiting.... GTFOOH!!

Maybe Hextall gave Hakstol a bit too much leash.... or maybe there are still too many plugs on the team leftover (and unmovable) from the previous GM.... or maybe, slowly but surely, Hextall was trying to get pieces in place (he was slowly bringing in young players to play significant roles on the team) and the man just needed a bit more time than normal to get the team up to speed...again, remembering Holmgren's post apocalyptic mess...and keep in mind, Holmgren is STILL freakin employed by the Flyers...and in a higher capacity than Hextall!

So what does Philly do now?
Hire a GM who will be IMPATIENT....build off of what Hextall started, and if he does succeed (through some mixture of smoke, mirrors, witchcraft, blind squirrel magic, and dumb luck), people will say what a genius THAT guy is?

That's just wrong I tell you.
This organization stinks from Holmgren on down.

Hextall may have effed up a few times, but no more than some other GM's...and he had the added disadvantage of being asked to un-pretzel the steel rod mess the Flyers are in.

I am going to laugh my arse off if the next guy comes in, all gung ho, tries to "undo" what Hextall did, falls on his face, then claim "things will have to get worse before they get better".

And you best believe that whomever is put in place as new GM will likely want a whole new coaching staff. That's just how it is.
GM's want "their guys", and if NOT firing Hak in the first place was the first nail in Hextall's coffin, then you best believe that Hak is far from safe.... and he best be updating his smile (he does have one somewhere right?) and his resume and be ready to start answering some "interviewing for a new job" questions.

Nuts I tell you.... 

44 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-Hextall must have refused to fire the coach.

Sportsnet even alluded to that Ron wanted to fire the coach and maybe the front office didn't want that move to take place maybe another move was wanted...no proof just throwing that possibility out there.

There scary part was they also threw out that name Daniel Briere....gawd i hope not.

44 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-He badly hosed the organization with the Schenn deal.

He got two 1st round picks which were Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee...BOTH who look like very good prospects, for a good, certainly not great player. Can we at least wait and see how those two pan out before calling this trade a bust? One guy is 18, the other 19 FFS. Schenns loss certainly didn't have a huge effect on either team...other than St Louis seemed to do worse than expected.

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This is nuts.

Not gonna say Hextall was free n clear of ANY blame for the fortunes of the current team ( I wish MORE organizations would look at the GM before firing a coach), but man...IMO, Hextall had done LOTS to undo the tangled idiotic mess that was left to him when he took the job.

I get that the team by now should have been trending better, but sheesh...did ANYONE expect the Holmgren Administration mess to be cleared up overnight???
I mean...that's like asking Chernobyl to be tidied up before the weekend because the Sultan is visiting.... GTFOOH!!

Maybe Hextall gave Hakstol a bit too much leash.... or maybe there are still too many plugs on the team leftover (and unmovable) from the previous GM.... or maybe, slowly but surely, Hextall was trying to get pieces in place (he was slowly bringing in young players to play significant roles on the team) and the man just needed a bit more time than normal to get the team up to speed...again, remembering Holmgren's post apocalyptic mess...and keep in mind, Holmgren is STILL freakin employed by the Flyers...and in a higher capacity than Hextall!

So what does Philly do now?
Hire a GM who will be IMPATIENT....build off of what Hextall started, and if he does succeed (through some mixture of smoke, mirrors, witchcraft, blind squirrel magic, and dumb luck), people will say what a genius THAT guy is?

That's just wrong I tell you.

Hextall may have effed up a few times, but no more than some other GM's...and he had the added disadvantage of being asked to un-pretzel the steel rod mess the Flyers are in.

I am going to laugh my arse off if the next guy comes in, all gung ho, tries to "undo" what Hextall did, falls on his face, then claim "things will have to get worse before they get better".

And you best believe that whomever is put in place as new GM will likely want a whole new coaching staff. That's just how it is.
GM's want "their guys", and if NOT firing Hak in the first place was the first nail in Hextall's coffin, then you best believe that Hak is far from safe.... and he best be updating his smile (he does have one somewhere right?) and his resume and be ready to start answering some "interviewing for a new job" questions.

Nuts I tell you.... 

As usual...very well said TFG!

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

now you are thinking like a Flyer's fan ..... yup... most of us agree Homer is what got us into this mess...among many other things ..... just saying ...

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I just hope the new gm doesn't trade away all those prospects that Hextall was so patient collecting for the WIN NOW way. 

gawd  I hope not .... I will be pi$$$ed beyond belief ......  and like @TropicalFruitGirl26 mentioned ...that is a distinct possibility ....

1 minute ago, Lindbergh31 said:
8 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

is Yzerman available ..... ?????

That's who I was thinking, someone who has built a Stanley Cup contending team in Tampa Bay and someone who has no connection to the Flyers organization.

Question is...IF he is available ...would he even want to come here??????

Archived