HEXTALL FIRED

radoran

11 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

@Bakanekimiwa, back to the board, We Welcome You!!!  (Your brainchild thread from Philly.com lives on!)

hahaha.. thanks buddy. And to Ron Hextall... Retirement, We Welcome you~~~

7 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@Bakanekimiwa

the prodigal son returns home!

Long time no see buddy!  Glad to see you back :) 

thanks man... life has been busy, but I've kept one eye on the Flyers. Just super tired of waiting for a chance at the cup again. 2010's memory still casts a shadow. I guess Homer felt the same way. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really hoping they are looking to the outside with little or no Flyer ties for the GM position. There are two head coaches with 5 Stanley Cup titles out there that can be brought in. If they are truly about winning, and not about nepotism and keeping it "in the family", then this is the time to show it.

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

everyone is fair game

This.

Everyone under this new GM's umbrella....this could be a good thing.

One thing is for sure whom ever it is that comes in they will be taking over a very good situation.

A nice pool of prospects who have yet to even sign a entry level contract.

A nice group already on their entry level deal.

And very decently stacked NHL roster.

9 total draft picks to work with at the draft.

Right at 9.8 mill in cap space.

In my opinion with all that this could be a dream GM job to take.

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I am really hoping they are looking to the outside with little or no Flyer ties for the GM position. There are two head coaches with 5 Stanley Cup titles out there that can be brought in. If they are truly about winning, and not about nepotism and keeping it "in the family", then this is the time to show it.

So reuniting Lombardi and Sutter?

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I think Hextall wanted to continue to preach patience, and his bosses ran out of them. Simple as that. I think that applies to everything from the firing or not firing of Hakstol, to the bringing up of Carter Hart to the Flyers.

I think this is right.  I would also wager that the failure to address the PK and, maybe to a lesser extent, the goaltending weighed in the decision.  I wonder if the desire to bring up Lyon and Stolarz instead of Hart had anything to do with the decision.  Or the handling of Vorobyev, NAK and Goulbourne.

I think Hextall is a good guy and probably had a good vision.  But this is a results oriented business and the results haven't been there under his tenure, especially when other teams pass us by in the standings.  There should have been a big step forward this year, but that certainly hasn't been the case.  You can't keep waiting for the youth to come up.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

This.

Everyone under this new GM's umbrella....this could be a good thing.

One thing is for sure whom ever it is that comes in they will be taking over a very good situation.

A nice pool of prospects who have yet to even sign a entry level contract.

A nice group already on their entry level deal.

And very decently stacked NHL roster.

9 total draft picks to work with at the draft.

Right at 9.8 mill in cap space.

In my opinion with all that this could be a dream GM job to take.

Taking over a team with some decent talent already and a ton of prospects certainly should be enticing for someone...I just hope it's not a Homer clone.

Maybe we're overthinking it. Maybe Hextall got tired of dealing with Holmgren. For all we know (for anyone who has watched movies with their nieces and nephews like me), it might have been like dealing with the sloth at the DMV from "Zootopia". Holmgren doesn't seem that "quick on the draw".

48 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He got two 1st round picks which were Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee...BOTH who look like very good prospects, for a good, certainly not great player. Can we at least wait and see how those two pan out before calling this trade a bust? One guy is 18, the other 19 FFS. Schenns loss certainly didn't have a huge effect on either team...other than St Louis seemed to do worse than expected.

Granted, my description of the trade could fairly be called hyperbolic. I'm just not a fan of these types of deals, where you take the time, effort and expense and good luck to develop a good player and then trade him off for two more guys who will require time, effort, expense and good luck to develop.

I did overly sh|t on the trade, but I guess I'm just predisposed to not liking them after seeing so many not work out.

Lets see now, I got called pretty much every troll name in the book for saying this was the problem.........hmmm. You guys sit here in a circle convincing yourself that every bad move Hextall made is just part of some master plan. 

Hextall ruined this team, I told you, but because I saw it long before you guys did you couldnt accept it. If you actually welcomed different opinions, instead of just calling the person names, you might get actual intelligent comments from knowledgeable hockey fans who have played and coached at high levels,

like this guy, ME,

Posted October 28 by csummers

Sure change the coach because they are losing. I get it, I would be glad if they did, I am not a fan but I see it for what it is. He is far from the issue and doing that will do exactly nothing, when they are a worse team than they were last year, by far.

If they make the playoffs it will be a miracle. I don't care if Scotty Bowman was coaching you can't expect to win when you get worse over the offseason, and once again, that is what they did.

Out with the good, in with the bad. Out with the bad, in with the worse. Hextall has ruined the team and if you dont believe me, I guess you will soon enough when talk of "tanking" starts.

Of course, maybe a high lottery pick is what they want. Its possible, why else would a gm purposely ruin a team?

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Granted, my description of the trade could fairly be called hyperbolic. I'm just not a fan of these types of deals, where you take the time, effort and expense and good luck to develop a good player and then trade him off for two more guys who will require time, effort, expense and good luck to develop.

I did overly sh|t on the trade, but I guess I'm just predisposed to not liking them after seeing so many not work out.

Schenn does not come across to me as a very smart player. He's also not very fast. Hextall covets both those traits. 

Don't get me wrong, Schenn was a good player. But you can't write off that trade until we see what Hextall got for them.

And he certainly didn't fix the Blues goaltending problem.

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Maybe we're overthinking it. Maybe Hextall got tired of dealing with Holmgren. For all we know (for anyone who has watched movies with their nieces and nephews like me), it might have been like dealing with the sloth at the DMV from "Zootopia". Holmgren doesn't seem that "quick on the draw".

Hextall has always struck me as someone who didn't give a crap about what his "superiors" thought.  I mean that in a good way.

3 minutes ago, csummers said:

Lets see now, I got called pretty much every troll name in the book for saying this was the problem.........hmmm. You guys sit here in a circle convincing yourself that every bad move Hextall made is just part of some master plan. 

Hextall ruined this team, I told you, but because I saw it long before you guys did you couldnt accept it. If you actually welcomed different opinions, instead of just calling the person names, you might get actual intelligent comments from knowledgeable hockey fans who have played and coached at high levels,

like this guy, ME,

Posted October 28 by csummers

Dude...get over yourself.

I guess we'll find out how much of this lackadaisical, uninspiring, win one-lose one play was due to coaching and management or due to player (under)performance.  Sneaky suspicion it may have just as much, if not a little more - tipping the scales ever so slightly, with the latter as opposed to the former.  Players gotta play now.

26 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Very interesting suggestion OR. 

'Zinger certainly knows his hockey and can spot talent - he's the real story behind the Jets drafting players like Connor, Roslovic, Niku and others. I'm not sure he's interested in a GM position. He likes scouting and he likes having the time to fish. But his 4 boys are all grown up now so family life would support a move at this time I suppose.

But, if he was interested you could do a lot worse.

I have tons of respect for Zinger, but knowing how he feels about his home community, I think he'd whither and die if he left Winnipeg for more than 3 weeks.  I also think that Hextall's build through the draft (while drafting well) philosophy is almost identical to what the Jets have done in the last 5 years.  If the Flyers want to go in a different direction, they best look elsewhere.

I think Hakstol is as good as gone, but I think the fact that, like him or not, the fact that Lombardi was here made him the temp de facto GM for now...while maybe the Flyers organ-eye-zation is starting to wake up to the fact that hiring ex-Flyers and overmatched college coaches isn't the answer. I am hoping/praying that Lombardi calls Sutter or Quenneville. Sutter or Quenneville will teach the young players accountability as well as the veterans, without breaking them in 6 months like Hitch would have.

3 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

I have tons of respect for Zinger, but knowing how he feels about his home community, I think he'd whither and die if he left Winnipeg for more than 3 weeks. 

Exactly. His story - from stick-boy to VP of an NHL hockey team - would pretty much be ruined with a move to Philly as a (short lived) GM

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

The scariest part is Holmgren was relieved of his duties as GM because he'd basically left the organization in tatters...now he's responsible for hiring the new GM? 

Anyone else not feeling too confident in his choice?

Welcome to Fear and Loathing, the hockey fan version. I know it well. Kevin Lowe is STILL around, influencing hockey ops in Edmonton, after screwing up repeatedly. Fruit from the tainted tree.......

So, I actually think this was the right order. 

Hextall completely crapped the bed this summer. The product he was selling was atrocious. Simply mindnumbing negligence. I like what he did with drafts and prospects and picks. Really. But at some point he completely forgot he needs to put together an NHL team. At this point, the Cap is no longer an excuse, and he never pivoted. 

It's the right move and order, to me, because I think the head coach is part of the regime change. I think you go get your GM and let him (or her, if they're also thinking Condoleezza Rice) get his head coach and staff. 

If you're going to axe both GM and head coach, gotta do GM first. 

I like Hextall, and I like some of the things he did. Hopefully, whoever comes in doesn't gut our prospects. But something had to give. The team and the whole experience of watching the game is horrible. 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If you're going to axe both GM and head coach, gotta do GM first. 

Makes sense.

Homer and gang might have got real antsy with Quenneville just sitting there waiting...

...could they take their time due their due dillegence fiding their guy...or do they find the GM/puppet like a Lombardi who will go out and just get the coach....Q like they want?

Archived