How soon before the new GM trades for a goalie, center and defense.

RonJeremy

OK, after the smoke clears and the whole coaching staff is terminated,  how soon before we trade for a goalie? With the firing of Hextall it's obvious that the build from the draft and wait till Hart is ready concept is out the window. No way is the new regime waiting 3 years for Hart and counting on the bums we have in the meantime. Unless Stolarz sets the world on fire, I would assume the first move is trading for a goalie. Fleury and Bob are both UFA as far as I know and are not re-signing. I dont see either guy being available until the deadline and we will be out of the playoff race by then, you can also expect other teams to  bid for these guys. I hope we dont give up too much, but the price will be especially high for Bob. Will the new gm also trade for a third line center and a veteran leader for the defense? I hope that tool Homer isn't the interim GM, he will destroy the team. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, GreyMan said:

Kiss a vast number of roster players (not letera) goodbye for multi year, no move clause 30 year olds

Usher in holmgren v2

Rinse, repeat same crap we have seen for the last decade

Just stop. No GM is going into the Flyers and ripping everything apart. It's just not happening. They're going to get an opportunity to assess what the organization has before making any sort of moves and no, guys like NAK, Rubstov, Allison, Frost, Ratcliffe, Hart, Meyers, etc....are being moved. They also aren't going to move their picks. 

Hextall had more than his fair share of chances to adequately fill the goaltending spot, 3C and defense and he stayed idle. His inactivity was part of his downfall. The Flyers have an embarrassment of riches in the pipeline to make moves. Nobody is trading a 20 year old for a 30 year old.

44 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

OK, after the smoke clears and the whole coaching staff is terminated,  how soon before we trade for a goalie? With the firing of Hextall it's obvious that the build from the draft and wait till Hart is ready concept is out the window. No way is the new regime waiting 3 years for Hart and counting on the bums we have in the meantime. Unless Stolarz sets the world on fire, I would assume the first move is trading for a goalie. Fleury and Bob are both UFA as far as I know and are not re-signing. I dont see either guy being available until the deadline and we will be out of the playoff race by then, you can also expect other teams to  bid for these guys. I hope we dont give up too much, but the price will be especially high for Bob. Will the new gm also trade for a third line center and a veteran leader for the defense? I hope that tool Homer isn't the interim GM, he will destroy the team. 

I doubt they're trading for anything major this year. If you look at the history of the Flyers, whenever a new GM has come onboard, they usually take an assessment of what players/prospects/picks are available and they'll build from there.

I don't think they acquire a starting goaltender or defenseman this season. I expect that once a new head coach is named, you'll see the fivesome of Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Gudas and Hagg all be given big ice time and fill roles that will work for their skill sets. I think the only thing you'll see is maybe MacDonald and/or Folin moved to open a spot for a young guy in Lehigh Valley (Meyers/Friedman).

As for goaltending, I think Brian Elliott will be back soon and fact is, his numbers have been decent this year - 2.59 GAA and a .911 save percentage. That's adequate. The good news is that Elliott's injury is only a groin pull, nothing structural like a sports hernia he had last year. He'll be fine. I expect Stolarz to be the back up for the rest of the year.

The off-season is when the goaltending will be addressed and I fully expect the Flyers to move on from Stolarz, Elliott, Neuvirth, Lyon and Pickard. I expect that Hart will be the back up and the starter will be someone like a Jimmy Howard. 

As for the 3C, I think it gets filled internally. I fully expect a new coaching staff to be hired and once the new coaching staff is in place, I expect either Vorobyov to come back up from Lehigh Valley and fill the role. 

No big moves are being made until the off season. Even then, I certainly don't expect a major overhaul. I expect more tinkering than anything.

If the Flyers planned on doing what you say, then Hextall would not have been fired. If they planned to basically stand pat, keep the same defense,   bring up a third line center,  bring up Hart next year and get another washed up goalie, Hextall would still have a job. Hart is nowhere near NHL ready, the defense needs a top minutes veteran leader, and no player on the Phantoms is looking like our next third line center.  Rubstov looked good but is out for the year. Hextall was fired, because management didnt believe in his approach , they were tired of waiting. Expect Simmonds to go at the deadline, also expect a trade or FA signing in the offseason for a goalie and  veteran center.  

9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think they will make a solid offer to land Nylander. It will cost them a d-man and a pick.  

Done.  I might be the only person on here that is really excited for what happened today.  We've been living in a world of umbergers, lehteras, and weises long enough!  Sanheim and a pick for a dynamic forward...where do I sign?  Maybe Nylander isn't the player I think he is, but I'm excited for the new GM to make ballsy moves like that.

30 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think they will make a solid offer to land Nylander. It will cost them a d-man and a pick.  

God i hope you're wrong....and if they wait till after December 1st to hire one it will be to late.

28 minutes ago, icehole said:

Done.  I might be the only person on here that is really excited for what happened today.  We've been living in a world of umbergers, lehteras, and weises long enough!  Sanheim and a pick for a dynamic forward...where do I sign?  Maybe Nylander isn't the player I think he is, but I'm excited for the new GM to make ballsy moves like that.

Count me in too ice... Not sure why everyone is so upset.... 

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nobody is trading a 20 year old for a 30 year old.

Because Holmgren nor Clarke ever did that.

If they bring in anyone, you're right.  If Holmgren takes over himself, I hope you already went to the bathroom because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Like a bicycle ride in Avalon.

44 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Count me in too ice... Not sure why everyone is so upset.... 

You know what I've been saying for weeks now, so you know I'm not terribly upset about what happened.  I'm concerned about what will just because of my zero lack of confidence in Holmgren or Clarke to make a good decision.

I think probably the board's upset is probably fairly even split between what happened and what will.  I imagine "what will" is actually a huge ingredient for the "happened" crowd whether they realize it or not.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Scares the sh it out of me...the unknown...of what they could do...gulp....like Mcdud the sequel...gulp...yeah scary as hell...

Yeah, "might."  Good correction.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You know what I've been saying for weeks now, so you know I'm not terribly upset about what happened.  I'm concerned about what will just because of my zero lack of confidence in Holmgren or Clarke to make a good decision.

I think probably the board's upset is probably fairly even split between what happened and what will.  I imagine "what will" is actually a huge ingredient for the "happened" crowd whether they realize it or not.

Me, I'm terrified of the unknown unknowns, the known unknowns, and especially the known knowns. 

I'd like to think that Comcast will damp down Holmgren's worst, short-term instincts.  That said, I would like to see someone with NO previous Flyers roots as the new GM.  I don't understand how bringing in Dean Lombardi--Hexy's mentor--is a positive.  What makes me hopeful is that Hexy's departure opens up a lot more turf than disposing the coach.  Offing Hakstol says execution was a problem.  Firing Hexy says there are perceived "root" problems.  That means drafting, training, and conditioning might be on the radar screen.  Saying team X is unprepared to meet team Y, which is what we've seen a lot of this year, entails a bleep load.  

14 hours ago, hf101 said:

Couturier

Nylander

Patrick

Laughton

down the middle. I like it.

It will probably cost Simmonds and Sanheim.

Trade Voracek for Keith and Crawford.

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Nylander/Lindblom

Laughton/Patrick/Kase

Weise/Lehtera/NAK

Weal

Provorov/Keith

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/Myers

Folin

Crawford

Elliott

I don't do Sanheim for Nylander. Sorry. 

6 has been the best player on our blue line this year, and he's only going to get better. 

Toronto will be getting the better player longterm IMO.

10 minutes ago, Digityman said:

That looks like a decent lineup @brelic.    I like moving Simmonds and Jake for pieces.

My concern is that giving up Sanheim for Nylander is risky given that Nylander isn't signed unless I'm missing something.   

Agreed - I wouldn't do it unless I had some guarantee of signing.

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

I think you're right.  I just said in another thread that the timing lends some credence to this theory.  It fixes the 3C issue (assuming Couturier moves down) and we know Holmgren & Co. love being strong down the middle.  I bet it turns their stomach seeing Weal out there night after night.

Archived