New GM?

sekkes85

I am utterly disappointed and quite frankly pissed off at the firing of Hextall.  I'm sure there are some in the fan base that agree it is time but I'm sure that has been beaten to death on the main thread.

Darren Dreger is reporting that Ron Francis and Chuck Fletcher are among early candidates for the GM job.  What are your thoughts on them as potential candidates?  As mentioned I'm still in a sour mood about this so unless we somehow hire Yzerman I'm not going to like it.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sekkes85 said:

I am utterly disappointed and quite frankly pissed off at the firing of Hextall.  I'm sure there are some in the fan base that agree it is time but I'm sure that has been beaten to death on the main thread.

Darren Dreger is reporting that Ron Francis and Chuck Fletcher are among early candidates for the GM job.  What are your thoughts on them as potential candidates?  As mentioned I'm still in a sour mood about this so unless we somehow hire Yzerman I'm not going to like it.

Hell no on either of those two and Yzerman is waiting on Detroit to open up.

2 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

No to both.

In fact, I said on another thread --and I mean it--if they hire Chuck Fletcher, who was IMO an unmitigated failure in Minnesota, I will quit this team.  Seriously.  I'm already straddling the line of hating the organization as it is.  Everything from the clowns in senior management to Gritty to the broadcast crew to Taryn Hatcher's role to the Kate Smith video, etc.   The team is about as fun as a trip to the proctologist and all the other window dressing crap they do--well, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig (themaker03 did NOT look good with lipstick, anyway!).

I'm having a hard time thinking of a worse possible option than Fletcher, except maybe Francis.  Francis would be a continuation of Hextall, actually.   I could be wrong and have to go look it up, but I swear I remember reading when he was fired that he hadn't made a single player trade his entire tenure as GM.

Yeah, let's fire Hextall because he won't make a move and hire someone who never made a move.  Good lord.

I'm not yelling at you.  I heard the Dreger thing, too.

Between those two choices, I'd rather just stay with Lombardi and call it a day.  At least in LA he proved willing to trade Schenn and Simmonds, etc. for Richards and made the bold move for Carter.  I'm not advocating for him, but just saying he'd be better than what Dreger is talking about.

I find the idea of Pronger interesting.  I've also heard Scott Melanby and Danny Briere.   Because, you know we can't get someone that doesn't have a Flyers' connection.

I don't know. I can rattle off a list of potential coaches (and list why not, lol), but GM is a little harder.

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Between those two choices, I'd rather just stay with Lombardi and call it a day.  At least in LA he proved willing to trade Schenn and Simmonds, etc. for Richards and made the bold move for Carter.  I'm not advocating for him, but just saying he'd be better than what Dreger is talking about.

I agree he took what Taylor drafted in Brown, Quick and Kopitar and drafted complimentary pieces to it like Trevor Lewis, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Bernier, Voynov, Doughty, and Kyle Clifford.

Then added Justin Williams, Richie, Carter, Gagne, Penner, Matt Greene, Richardson, Scuderi, Stoll and Willie Mitchell.

So he did some good things as well as some good ones in San Jose.

So i would take him over Fletcher or Francis.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i would take him over Fletcher or Francis.

Yeah.  Absolutely.

Although I would also take a goat with significant head trauma over either Fletcher or Francis (huge respect for  Francis as a player, so it pains me to say that).

Honestly, I have no idea. Yzerman is the obvious choice, but I also fully expect him to be in Detroit in the near future. Beyond him, there really isn't a slam dunk kind of GM that I'm aware of who would be willing to take up the job. Most of the ones mentioned have been meh at best and blargh at worst. 

Maybe they should just keep Lombardi in for the time being to see how the seas part. I'm not saying that would be great either. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Coaching on the other hand:

image.png.e38958270eb66bb1db3fdd0c4b56c9cf.png

Severalli's article about this had Garth Snow in the list of candidates.

"Former Minnesota Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is believed to be a front-runner for the job, while the list of candidates potentially includes Ron Francis, Chris Pronger, Scott Mellanby and Garth Snow, among others."

https://www.tsn.ca/hextall-leaves-a-complicated-legacy-in-philadelphia-1.1216386

um, no.

If Fletcher is a deal breaker for some. Garth Snow is my red line. 

no fing way.

Myrteus is saying he expects Lombardi, which I may be okay with, I am of the opinion he pushed his chips into the middle at the right time and that team was a force for 5 years with 2 cup wins...even though when he was done the team was/is a dumpster fire. 

2 cups and a couple of near misses over a 5-8 year span is about as good as it gets in today's NHL with the cap and forced parity.

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Severalli's article about this had Garth Snow in the list of candidates.

"Former Minnesota Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is believed to be a front-runner for the job, while the list of candidates potentially includes Ron Francis, Chris Pronger, Scott Mellanby and Garth Snow, among others."

https://www.tsn.ca/hextall-leaves-a-complicated-legacy-in-philadelphia-1.1216386

um, no.

If Fletcher is a deal breaker for some. Garth Snow is my red line. 

no fing way.

Myrteus is saying he expects Lombardi, which I may be okay with, I am of the opinion he pushed his chips into the middle at the right time and that team was a force for 5 years with 2 cup wins...even though when he was done the team was/is a dumpster fire. 

2 cups and a couple of near misses over a 5-8 year span is about as good as it gets in today's NHL with the cap and forced parity.

How can anyone who has followed hockey whatsoever say Garth Snow is a candidate? The guy kept the Islanders crappy for over a decade. 

15 hours ago, sekkes85 said:

I've read most of the opinions on here over the past two days.   I've fallen into your camp except if it went down like this:   "You must fire Hak".   Hextall says no.  They say "fine we will do it."  Hextall says "If you do, I quit".    They have no choice but to fire Hextall.   

Unless it went down like this or something similar, I don't agree with firing Hextall right now.   I would have given him another trade-deadline and summer to finish what he started.  Then see what he iced as a team at the start of next year.   

As someone else said, the next GM walks into a great situation with great farm system and cap room.   

My fear is that we are going to witness a gutting of the farm in order to squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first or second round then miss out on a decent draft spot.

Maybe I'm wrong and will be pleasantly surprised if they finally move Jake and Simmonds before the deadline and not dismantle the farm.

Whoever it is, will not be new blood.  That is not how this organization works.  It will be someone with a tie to the organization.  I think they will not name a new GM this season and will instead say the duties of GM will be fulfilled by Holmgren and/or someone else currently in the org.  There have been some reports that Clarke has been more present recently as well, so maybe he factors in to a degree as well.   I'm not sure where Lombardi stands.  Not sure if he's too friendly to Hextall or if he's now aligned with Holmgren.  If the latter, then possibly he will take over the GM duties for this season.  I think Hakstol survives the season.  I think a permanent GM is hired in the offseason and it will be this new GM's decision whether he keeps Hakstol around.  Maybe they bring in someone (Briere, Pronger, etc.) during the season to groom as a new GM. 

I'm really not sure how I feel if Holmgren & Co. take this over.  Despite some of the contracts given out and moves made during his last tenure, he did have a good deal of success on ice.  Yes, the cap was a mess but Snider pushed a lot of the agenda back then.  I also have to believe that Holmgren knows the league has changed and that the old approach no longer works.  I do think they will make a roster move or two to improve the current team.  I just hope they don't overpay.  Teams know there is blood in the water here and can probably take full advantage.  

The stories coming out about Hextall being a control freak kind of comfort me.  Maybe with him gone, the culture around this team changes and loosens up a bit.  We talked about changes in NYR, NJ, Buffalo etc. and how those teams went through some culture changes and have surpassed the Flyers.  Maybe a change helps this team?  Maybe Hakstol was constrained by Hextall?

Given the timing, the other thing lurking in my mind is that December 1 is almost here and I wonder if firing Hextall paves the way for the Flyers to go after Nylander.  Maybe Hextall refused to part with assets to do so.  We know how Holmgren and Clarke loved depth down the middle and this team lacks it after the 2C.  

I also wonder if Giroux and/or others in the org want to put Giroux back at center and drop Couturier and Patrick down.  Giroux said recently that it was Hextall - not Hakstol - who approached him about the change.

Sorry for the babbling...

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I've seen a person claiming he has an inside source say that Pronger is the new GM. The info came from a private FB group. 

Take it for what it's worth... 

I heard they have a new playstation game coming out SIMs the Flyers version....

image.jpeg.9c617d5ea5c8b4e2a5cc9672afeab7fd.jpeg

...Pronger has been practice on GM mode with NHL19................rumor has it he is ready!!!!!

:beer:

Well the new guy with the 9.8 mill he has to work with could make a huge impact change to this team quickly i think.

I am just looking and guys mostly vets on the team (not the kids right now with this post i think it is obvious the kids could be moved) i would prefer to not look at the kids right now.

Guys i would make available:

Wayne Simmonds

James Van Riemsdyk 

Jake Voracek

Jordan Weal

Radko Gudas

Now not say you have to move all these guys but they could be quick moves to alter the team a lot.

The guys i would try but would need more maybe to move.

Dale Weise

Jori Lehtera

Andrew Macdonald

Michal Neuvirth

Cal Pickard

Alex Lyon 

These doesn't like i said include kids/prospects/draft picks as i would make these the last option.

However i am not naive enough to know some of the stuff i don't want to do i may have to do in order to get some stuff you want/need.

I would have to listen to each offer on it's individual merit.

Just some thoughts on it all.

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

How can anyone who has followed hockey whatsoever say Garth Snow is a candidate? The guy kept the Islanders crappy for over a decade.

I'd hire Bryzgalov over Snow for GM.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh dear lord...

He did an absolutely unmitigated crap job in Minnesota. I don't understand why they'd do that. 

I'm telling you, they hire him I'm out. I swear to God. 

Archived