New GM?

sekkes85

The Philadelphia Flyers interviewed former Minnesota GM Chuck Fletcher for their vacant GM position yesterday and he is considered by some as the front runner, but according to TSN's Pierre LeBrun, the club has asked and received permission to talk to Columbus Blue Jackets Asst GM Bill Zito.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me at least, there is an overarching feeling of dread about the future direction of this team now.

It is coming from a couple of factors.

1- is the guy whom I feel is mostly responsible for the quality kids we have in the system has been sent packing for no other reason than he was Ron's #1 guy. That would be Chris Pryor, I have long thought him to be a "good hockey man" and when he was unleashed he was able to make some really nice picks IMO. When I think back to the Holmgren years,  I think of Marc Anthony Bourdin, and Kevin Marshall and Jason Akeson, I don't know where Pryor "was" on those kids...but my feeling is there will be more of those players and less Morgan Frosts...coming , unless Neophyte and the Mad-Trader get the new GM pick right...

Which brings me to #2- I do not trust Holmgren and Scott not **** this team up for short term revenue.

Hextall had 4 goalies in camp, plus 3 really nice prospect a couple of years  out.  He has 4 guys that could have slotted into the 3C role in LV  Was there anyone available who would be worth the loss of a promising defender or a longed for large winger for a stop gap fix for either position ? Not to get too stepford here but, I don't know if trading for a Kevin Brassard type for a couple years is worth watching Phillipe Meyers step into the Breckgirl (letang) role in Pittsburgh or for some other team. 

There didn't appear to be any surefire upgrades worth that gamble. 

I don't trust Chuck Fletcher to be the guy to get us to the next level -- every indication is he's the leading candidate, he never got a good situation in Minnesota over the top. And now thanks to him their message boards are doom and gloom and full of mid-western cynicism (which is the worst kind because it is so earnest) because that team's out look is bleak.

The guy who caused the problem and the guy who thinks he knows because he's rich are going to try to "right the ship"...

Doomed, we are DOOMED

If you guys end up with Fletcher, sacrifice a goat and pray to the hockey gods that he won't sign a single long, expensive, silly, NMC-just-because-the-player-wants-it contract.

Especially to an old has-been.

A quote from Russo, who covers the Wild:

During Fletcher’s reign, the Wild were always in win-now mode, which meant they never bottomed out to earn high draft picks and blue-chip prospects,” Russo noted. “It also meant Fletcher typically used draft picks as currency rather than trading any of the core players he committed to. That resulted in building through free agency and a number of bold trades, some that worked, some that failed.

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I was going to post their concept for that video but it is sooooo, violent.

Felt like it would violate something here.

the last 45 seconds of Spirit Song are mind searingly heavy. I love it when they pull out the hossanah honks.

Their new song is on youtube.

"Mantra"

Check it out.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

For me at least, there is an overarching feeling of dread about the future direction of this team now.

Same here. 

1- is the guy whom I feel is mostly responsible for the quality kids we have in the system has been sent packing for no other reason than he was Ron's #1 guy.

I hear you, but they had to cut bait with him once they let Hextall go.  He had a big part in drafting the current prospects and likely has a bias for the kids.  If you want the org to take a fresh look at things, particularly from a prospects and go-forward vision, you have to cut Pryor loose.  Now, it does seem that he had a very good draft philosophy and I will likely miss their drafting prowess.

Which brings me to #2- I do not trust Holmgren and Scott not **** this team up for short term revenue.

Same here.  This is a scary combo because Scott is concerned about $$$ only and knows nothing about hockey and I am convinced Holmgren is nothing but a conduit for whoever is his boss at any given time.  I don't think Holmgren has the ability to dial Scott back if the message is to do whatever it takes to improve the team on the ice today for the sake of $$$.

Not that we know of, anyway.  The only thing that maybe makes sense is Nylander, imo.

I don't trust Chuck Fletcher to be the guy to get us to the next level -- every indication is he's the leading candidate, he never got a good situation in Minnesota over the top.

Yeah, not feeling good about him.  As mentioned elsewhere, he is close to Q and so maybe he can get Q to come with him.  Imagine if they call a PC for Monday to announce Fletcher as GM and Q as coach?

By the way, I'm not necessarily complaining that Hextall was fired.  But, if he was fired so that prospects and picks could be traded for 30-somethings, then I will not be happy.  The Flyers made the mistake of stopping a rebuild too early when the Legion of Doom was formed.  Let's not repeat that history.  And that's what I'm afraid of.

Tacking on to my post above, I do wonder if the fretting (including mine) about dumping prospects/picks for 30-somethings is overblown.  It's not that kind of league anymore.  It's become much more of a speed/young man's game.  I cannot imagine that even Holmgren and Fletcher can't see that now.  

I also think some of the hand-wringing (including mine) about Fletcher may be overblown.  His Minnesota teams ran into some better teams with more talent in the POs.  And, to my point above, I think the NHL changed from underneath him and he couldn't adjust his roster to account for the speed in the game now. 

2 minutes ago, vis said:

Tacking on to my post above, I do wonder if the fretting (including mine) about dumping prospects/picks for 30-somethings is overblown. 

In discussions in other threads, it's been noted that Holmgren didn't really do a whole lot of that as GM. It's more a PTSD from the Clarke years. The only real example from Holmgren was Pronger - which is a discussion into and of itself.

To that extent, it is overblown.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, hf101 said:

I'd hire Bryzgalov over Snow for GM.

I'd hire Bernie Madoff, (formerly of Enron Corp. for those who don't know) before I'd hire Garth Snow.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Tacking on to my post above, I do wonder if the fretting (including mine) about dumping prospects/picks for 30-somethings is overblown.  It's not that kind of league anymore.  It's become much more of a speed/young man's game.  I cannot imagine that even Holmgren and Fletcher can't see that now.  

I also think some of the hand-wringing (including mine) about Fletcher may be overblown.  His Minnesota teams ran into some better teams with more talent in the POs.  And, to my point above, I think the NHL changed from underneath him and he couldn't adjust his roster to account for the speed in the game now. 

i think it is, we are in nylander which he is 22 years old and drafted 8th overall, so it's not 30th win now strategy, it's more like getting top talented players who are in their prime not 30 and over, i could see them getting 30 and over vets in free agency but not trading for them, if anything it will probably be for lower round picks like 5th, 6th, and 7h.

8 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

It is coming from a couple of factors.

1- is the guy whom I feel is mostly responsible for the quality kids we have in the system has been sent packing for no other reason than he was Ron's #1 guy. That would be Chris Pryor, I have long thought him to be a "good hockey man" and when he was unleashed he was able to make some really nice picks IMO. When I think back to the Holmgren years,  I think of Marc Anthony Bourdin, and Kevin Marshall and Jason Akeson, I don't know where Pryor "was" on those kids...but my feeling is there will be more of those players and less Morgan Frosts...coming , unless Neophyte and the Mad-Trader get the new GM pick right...

Hextall had 4 goalies in camp, plus 3 really nice prospect a couple of years  out.  He has 4 guys that could have slotted into the 3C role in LV  Was there anyone available who would be worth the loss of a promising defender or a longed for large winger for a stop gap fix for either position ? Not to get too stepford here but, I don't know if trading for a Kevin Brassard type for a couple years is worth watching Phillipe Meyers step into the Breckgirl (letang) role in Pittsburgh or for some other team. 

I don't trust Chuck Fletcher to be the guy to get us to the next level -- every indication is he's the leading candidate, he never got a good situation in Minnesota over the top. And now thanks to him their message boards are doom and gloom and full of mid-western cynicism (which is the worst kind because it is so earnest) because that team's out look is bleak.

The guy who caused the problem and the guy who thinks he knows because he's rich are going to try to "right the ship"...

Doomed, we are DOOMED

I'm afraid this is close to how I feel, although in full disclosure, I was yammering for Hextall to be fired. 

I still don't like what he ignored (or was unable to fix) at the NHL level. 

I hadn't consider that they'd restrict the list of replacements to imbeciles. 

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, sweetshot said:

He's probably made more bad deals than good ones with the Wild. He likes to make trades for over-the-hill players who don't pan out--Mark Vanek and Danny Heatley are a couple that come to mind

Thomas Vanek--duh! Who Fletcher signed as a free agent I believe--bought him out after 2 years.

My worries about getting any GM are compounded by the words coming out of Homer's mouth. It seems clear to me he wants a two keys things from his next GM:

1) He wants to have more of a say in hockey decisions. While others may vary in their assessment of Homer's tenure in hindsight, I subscribe quite firmly to the homercoaster version of his tenure. I would much prefer he have less than zero to do with any hockey related decisions. That said, this new GM likely will not have that option. It sounds like Homer will insist on being involved, which is something I find extremely troubling.

2) While I don't think any sane GM will trade away a bunch of young developing guns for over the hill veterans, I do think whoever the next GM is will essentially have a gun to his head with regards to making the team better in the short term. What does that mean exactly? Well, I think it means the Homers and Scotts of the world will insist the new GM make changes to address the team's current shortcomings, even if it means overpayment. 

This combination of things spells almost inevitable disaster to me. More importantly, both elements above are likely to be a problem regardless of who is next to sit in the GM chair. It doesn't matter if it's Fletcher or Nonis or whoever. Homer will set these two things as non-negotiable expectations right from the onset.

this is what i believe what's happening, i think the gm and joel q are already decided after the Toronto game meaning it will probably be after christmas they will announce the changes because joel q wanted to coach after christmas meaning that they cant announce the gm now and then the coach a few weeks later, it makes more sense to have them both there at the same time.

so unfortunately, we have to deal with hak until the new year, that's why homer kept him on because it would make no sense to hire an intern and fire that one because you dont want the players to learn two different systems. it's not good on the players.

basically everything that homer is saying is just stall tactics until the new year. hopefully the team can play well until the new year but it's not looking like it.

Archived