Brady Tkachuk is the kind of winner our team lacks

RonJeremy

Tkachuk was a catalyst tonight. He is exactly the kind of player we don’t have. I said it last year before the draft and several times since , we should have tried to move up in the draft to get him . Instead we drafted 2 small guys , one who already had 2 concussions this season. Tkachuk plays with the fire that most of our players lack .He also has 9 goals and 8 assists.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Tkachuk was a catalyst tonight. He is exactly the kind of player we don’t have. I said it last year before the draft and several times since , we should have tried to move up in the draft to get him . Instead we drafted 2 small guys , one who already had 2 concussions this season. Tkachuk plays with the fire that most of our players lack .He also has 9 goals and 8 assists.

So what's he won? The Sens, with this winner, have exactly ONE more point than the Flyers who have a game in hand over them. Claude Giroux has 8 goals and 21 assists. Loser. Tkachuk sits tied for 108th in scoring. Winner.

I'd take Thomas Chabot on the Sens over him all day long. As a defenceman he's got 7 g 22 a. Top scoring dman in the league. 21 years old.

The grass is always greener when you're a Flyer fan.

He’s a winner compared to Farabee and the high school kid we drafted last year. He is already in the NHL and doing great .When I say winner , I mean in his approach to the game and his attitude , fire and desire . We had 2 first rounders and other assets , we could have tried to trade up. The grass clearly is a lot greener when comparing Tkachuk to the two guys we picked. Your argument makes no sense. Just because his team is bad , does not mean he is not a clutch player.

@RonJeremy

He didn't do diddly poo for 50 minutes.

He was super lucky in addition to being a clutch-game-changing-winner ZOMG ! one goal bounced off his ass. Off. his. ass.

whatever.

If my aunt had any balls she'd be my uncle, ya' know?

If he plays the way you like and our guys are all panty waste sissies...save yourself the agony and follow him and his team rather than pine away for a reality that doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

He’s a winner compared to Farabee and the high school kid we drafted last year. He is already in the NHL and doing great .When I say winner , I mean in his approach to the game and his attitude , fire and desire . We had 2 first rounders and other assets , we could have tried to trade up. The grass clearly is a lot greener when comparing Tkachuk to the two guys we picked. Your argument makes no sense. Just because his team is bad , does not mean he is not a clutch player.

Making it to the NHL faster doesn't necessarily make a player a better choice. Whoever has the best career does. Maybe Tkachuk has the better career...he should, he went 4th overall. He's also physically more mature than Farabee, which is probably the biggest factor (certainly not talent, or desire, or drive...Farabee has all that...along with the speed that Tkachuk wishes he had) as to why he's in the NHL. The guy is 6'3" 200 lbs. 

It's like the people who say the Schenn trade was horrible because it was for Lehtera. Meanwhile he was the throw in to make the cap work. Frost and Farabee (the pick anyway) were what Hextall wanted. You can't judge that trade until everyone involved has played out their careers. Tkachuk has played 12 NHL games. Can we at least see where Farabee and O'briens careers go before sending Keiths son into the HHOF?

And just because we had 2-1sts and whatever doesn't mean Ottawa had to trade 4th overall to us. Generally you would have to overpay to move up to a top 5 pick. I mean if we want a winner, I'll take Mcdavid. We had 2-1sts that year too. I'm pretty sure we would have been told to GFY.

And Chabot on D would help the Flyers out a lot more than a winger would IMO.

All that matters is the outcome of the game,  and the Flyers played great for 50 minutes and lost. A 19 year old rookie still has 17 points on a bad team. All I’m saying is we could use a character guy like Tkachuk. I’ve been a Flyer fan for for 45 years , and I’ve seen character players and I’ve seen guys who constantly say...yeah we need to be better prepared, yeah we need do this and that..and they don’t do it. The less talented  Flyers teams never lacked in effort and heart. Maybe it’s not the players maybe the coach just can’t motivate them, time will tell. All I can say is , The Flyers were much more exciting when we had guys like Hartnell, Richards and Pronger.

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

All that matters is the outcome of the game,  and the Flyers played great for 50 minutes and lost. A 19 year old rookie still has 17 points on a bad team. All I’m saying is we could use a character guy like Tkachuk. I’ve been a Flyer fan for for 45 years , and I’ve seen character players and I’ve seen guys who constantly say...yeah we need to be better prepared, yeah we need do this and that..and they don’t do it. The less talented  Flyers teams never lacked in effort and heart. Maybe it’s not the players maybe the coach just can’t motivate them, time will tell. All I can say is , The Flyers were much more exciting when we had guys like Hartnell, Richards and Pronger.

Ok that makes sense. But from everything I've seen and read of Farabee he's one of those character guys too.

@flyercanuck I’m not disagreeing with you on Chabot. Did we have an opportunity to draft him? We had 2 picks and other assets to possibly move up and get Tkachuk. Farabee and the other kid may end up just as good down the road, but at this time we certainly could use an abrasive,spark plug type of player like Tkachuk on this lifeless team.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

@flyercanuck I’m not disagreeing with you on Chabot. Did we have an opportunity to draft him? We had 2 picks and other assets to possibly move up and get Tkachuk. Farabee and the other kid may end up just as good down the road, but at this time we certainly could use an abrasive,spark plug type of player like Tkachuk on this lifeless team.

Sure.

We could also use a real #1 NHL goalie. But teams don't tend to trade those away too often. You have to have both teams willing to deal. Ottawa passed on Zadina, who had fallen to them at that point. I'm guessing they coveted Tkachuk.

And yes we could have drafted Chabot.

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

@flyercanuck, I guess I miss the days of the Flyers being tough . Farabee I’m sure will be good, but I miss the days of our team having some rugged skilled players.

It's not just the Flyers in this case. It really is a league-wide phenomenon. I would venture Tkachuk is getting lots of press not only because of his skill, but because his type of player is relatively rare in today's NHL.

How many young players like him are around? His brother? Tom Wilson (who isn't strictly young anymore anyway)? Again, it's not a Flyers thing. That whole style of player is largely non-existent in 2018. Milan Lucic isn't going to have a line up of suitors when his contract expires or he gets bought out.

I do get what you're saying though. I think most Flyers fans are Flyers fans because of abrasiveness and toughness. It very much is a defining characteristic of the team's history and appeal. It's just not the reality in today's NHL. The Flyers are not exceptions.

Tkachuk has the benefit of being a little pissant and also having skill. Most players seem to fall on one side or the other of that equation. And in 2018, hockey skill >>>> hurting people to get what you want.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

@flyercanuck. We drafted Provorov ahead of Chabot, so you like Chabot over Provorov.?

Tough call. Last year's Provorov was better. This year's Chabot is better. 

You know, when I see Chabot this year, I half wonder why Sanheim couldn't be that guy. I feel like he could be, but I'm not entirely sure he has that next level in him really. I think we would have seen it by now.

I do like Sanheim, but with Chabot running around like he is, I can't help but now see him as a sort of Chabot-light. That kind of sucks.

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

@flyercanuck. We drafted Provorov ahead of Chabot, so you like Chabot over Provorov.?

I'd like to have both.

We took Konecny just a few picks after Chabot went. Could we have traded up for Chabot? Hard to say, cause we traded up for Konecny...who I really like as a player. 

I think both Provorov and Chabot are going to be in the Norris conversation category at some point in their careers. Tkachuk is a good player. So is Konecny. I think Farabee will be too. 

Ghost and Provorov are having tough years...but I've heard plenty of Leaf fans over the last 2 seasons wishing they had them on their team. The same goes for Giroux. We tend to nitpick our own players...and only see the good in other teams guys.

10 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Tough call. Last year's Provorov was better. This year's Chabot is better. 

You know, when I see Chabot this year, I half wonder why Sanheim couldn't be that guy. I feel like he could be, but I'm not entirely sure he has that next level in him really. I think we would have seen it by now.

I do like Sanheim, but with Chabot running around like he is, I can't help but now see him as a sort of Chabot-light. That kind of sucks.

Not everyones development is on the same timeline. Sanheim has the skill to be that guy...whether he ever gets there only time will tell. I don't think he's quite that good. But he's definitely a talented player.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

@flyercanuck, I guess I miss the days of the Flyers being tough . Farabee I’m sure will be good, but I miss the days of our team having some rugged skilled players.

I mean, Konecny is our Tkachuk. He's only 21 and already a sparkplug with sandpaper to his game. Love his whole game and attitude. 

Apparently Allison has an edge to his game too. Strome as well. NAK. 

Sometimes it's hard to see the beautiful trees when you're just looking at it as a forest.

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I think Pryor's dismissal says we have some doubt about our recruits.  Maybe we should leave it at that.

I disagree, I think it was because he was Ron's #1 guy.

Pryor is collateral damage imo. 

The Flyers are rarely picking in the top 5 where the superstars are that make an impact right away... when they do it's always in a "down" year. I don't think he's missed very often.  

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I disagree, I think it was because he was Ron's #1 guy.

Pryor is collateral damage imo. 

The Flyers are rarely picking in the top 5 where the superstars are that make an impact right away... when they do it's always in a "down" year. I don't think he's missed very often.  

And let's be realistic here they still have games to play so they need a staff so i wouldn't be shocked when all is said and done they are all gone.

And that is what i wanted a complete reboot....and then will more than likely even include the goalie coaches Kim Dillabough too.

I think it might of been a small misstep by Hextall not letting Hak get his own staff together.

We'll never know but the slate will be wiped clean.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Not everyones development is on the same timeline. Sanheim has the skill to be that guy...whether he ever gets there only time will tell. I don't think he's quite that good. But he's definitely a talented player.

Thank god Gord Murphy is bo longer in charge of our defense. Maybe they can now develop properly. I think Pronger would be a great coach for our defense.

6 hours ago, brelic said:

I mean, Konecny is our Tkachuk. He's only 21 and already a sparkplug with sandpaper to his game. Love his whole game and attitude. 

Apparently Allison has an edge to his game too. Strome as well. NAK. 

Sometimes it's hard to see the beautiful trees when you're just looking at it as a forest.

Those guys have an edge but Tkachuk is an old school tough guy, I liked the days when teams hated and feared our players. I think Allison might be the closest guy to Tkachuk in terms of size and toughness

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And let's be realistic here they still have games to play so they need a staff so i wouldn't be shocked when all is said and done they are all gone.

And that is what i wanted a complete reboot....and then will more than likely even include the goalie coaches Kim Dillabough too.

I think it might of been a small misstep by Hextall not letting Hak get his own staff together.

We'll never know but the slate will be wiped clean.

This whole thing sheds more light on the Reese situation. The way he was dismissed never sat well with me. 

On 11/27/2018 at 11:39 PM, RonJeremy said:

To bad this kid isn't in this years draft it would be well worth tanking for...

...who leads the tanking charge next year?

Archived