Bad news is now spelled D-A-V-E-S-C-O...

mojo1917

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/ron-hextall-fired-flyers-dave-scott-ceo-future-general-manager-20181127.html

So Dave watched for a season or so, now wants to spend to the cap and run stuff.

I have never met a rich dude that didn't act like this. 

"Oh i know what needs to happen here because i was successful there" and those things are enough alike it should work...

I can't help but think this won't end well. 

Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, That Wang guy up on the Island a few years ago...pick a guy with a lot of money.

He has that rich douche smell all over him.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope he's a goddamned genius and has the magic touch. 

I'm not counting on any of those good things happening though.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

OMG that is funny, especially "their fucckin' shoes are so shiny"  -  thanks for that

5 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm so irritated by the whole situation that for way too many minutes I didn't realize that was a huge load of crap.

It's funny once I realized.  

I think I believed it way too long because of the idiot managing the Phillies.

• 1 month later...

Well New GM, Different coach, results are now worse.

I reckon stepping in with a bias for action and leveraging the synergies of the income streams has yielded the desired results- yes ?

I will stand by this statement: Dave Scott thought he could tell Ron Hextall to "do something" and Hextall told him to go away there's nothing to "do". 

Scott couldn't handle the insubordination and well, 4 wins and 12 losses later, here we are with the worst team in the hockey. 

How do we think this has been working out ?

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I will stand by this statement: Dave Scott thought he could tell Ron Hextall to "do something" and Hextall told him to go away there's nothing to "do". 

Scott couldn't handle the insubordination and well, 4 wins and 12 losses later, here we are with the worst team in the hockey. 

For sure.  I think all the other stories - although perhaps true and concerning - were just spin, especially since Boruk was the first to report it.  Also, the fact that there appears to have been no plan in place for what to do next really makes this all look like a knee-jerk reaction.

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Everything is going great!

5 hours ago, vis said:

For sure.  I think all the other stories - although perhaps true and concerning - were just spin, especially since Boruk was the first to report it.  Also, the fact that there appears to have been no plan in place for what to do next really makes this all look like a knee-jerk reaction.

Everything is going great!

Nothing will hurt Dips*it Dave more than empty seats. Nothing. He'll change just to save face as a "businessman".

On 11/28/2018 at 12:00 PM, mojo1917 said:

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/ron-hextall-fired-flyers-dave-scott-ceo-future-general-manager-20181127.html

So Dave watched for a season or so, now wants to spend to the cap and run stuff.

I have never met a rich dude that didn't act like this. 

"Oh i know what needs to happen here because i was successful there" and those things are enough alike it should work...

I can't help but think this won't end well. 

Complete agreement.  Mostly because he doesn't understand that in hockey, you can't automatically get good players just by spending (because good players are only available that way once in a while) and also in hockey, "good" players aren't usually the thing... it's the "right players" that matter.

As the season moves on, I look back with increasing anger at Hextall for not unloading Hakstol sooner.  It didn't look good when it was going on, but in hindsight, the way he was coaching these players away from their skill sets and to essentially slow and dumb down the game in order to try to control it (something that simply doesn't work inside the speed and unrivaled skill of today's NHL) has seriously damaged some of our best young skilled players.  

That said, I'm still mad at Homer and Scott for not seeing the problem either and throwing out the architect that did so much without having a clear direction in mind.  

Had they canned Hextall and Hakstol and replaced them immediately with men of vision who said, "Here's what we need to do now and here's how we're gonna do it!" that would have been one thing.  But they fired Hextall and shrugged, then hired Fletcher who shrugged, but eventually fired Hakstol, but shrugged on a replacement, shoving Gordon into the role who's shrugging, unable to institute his system, but unable to work with what Hakstol left in his wake.  

I don't have a particular problem with any of the firings.  I'm happy about Hakstol and probably Murphy the most.  I just don't think any of it was done in any remotely intelligent way and what we've been seeing since is the obvious aftermath of absolutely terrible management decisions that anyone in management of any kind of business is probably familiar with.    

It's adolescent and naive lack of leadership that confuses "doing anything" and "doing something" and only accidentally ever stumbles on "doing the right thing." to lead to success.

It's a serious shame that no one seems to understand that this directionless confusion and lack of communication and weak goals is what's turning fans off far more than the losing.  Fans have endured losing before.  It's the hopelessness from the lack of leadership within the organization (not just on the ice or behind the bench, but in the offices) that is leading to free ticket giveaways and empty seats.

This is still Hakstol's pathetic losing team IMHO, but the economic losses and empty seats are entirely on Homer and Scott IMHO due to a complete lack of goals or direction.  

I still think this could all have been avoided if Hextall had just fired Hakstol after last season when he thought it might be "go time." because obviously they weren't going anywhere with that philsophy behind the bench.  But the underlying problem of Homer and Scott having no idea how to manage anything, let alone a hockey team would still have remained.  

I fear nothing will improve except by random luck until that changes.  

On 1/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, mojo1917 said:

Well New GM, Different coach, results are now worse.

I reckon stepping in with a bias for action and leveraging the synergies of the income streams has yielded the desired results- yes ?

It's a nightmare without any end in sight.  Comcast will have to step in and remove Scott and Homer, but with whom will they replace them and will that manage to help and how bad will it have to get before that happens.  

We could be looking at a "Penguins to Kansas City" threat before the solution truly comes to this team and the league doesn't like anyone in this organization's history the way they liked (and thus bent over backwards for)  Mario.  

Archived