Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
vis

Moves Starting?

If true, nice to see the assistants starting to feel the heat at least.  Wonder when Lappy gets it.

Pickard being waived is a no brainer.  Stolarz is better.  Arguable Lyon is as well.

Goulbourne is a yo-yo.  Feel bad for the kid.  Would like to see him in the lineup again and utilized on the PK.

When do you think a GM will be hired? 

-- [I could see this lasting beyond mere weeks, especially if they are prying someone gainfully employed elsewhere]

Who do you think they will hire?  Who would you like them to hire? 

-- [Hextall seems to want a young buck with a focus on analytics.  That rules out Fletcher and Francis, imo.  I'm cool with that.]

Will Homer make a significant trade before the new GM is hired?

-- [If it takes too long to hire the GM, definitely.  I still think he's going after Nylander.]

Will Homer fire the coach before the new GM is hired? 

-- [No.]

Will Hakstol last the season?

-- [Tough one, but I am going to say "yes" unless Q is willing to take the job (I think the Flyers are talking to candidates).]

Do you foresee any other lineup changes in the near future (outside of trades)?

-- [I think some of the Phantoms players will get a better look.  I think Lehtera is done (btw, whatever happened to his drug deal?).  In a shocker, I bet Lindblom is sent to the AHL.]

Edited by vis

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Chris Pryor gets the axe too!!!!

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

#forreal

Lol.  Saw that as well.  

27 minutes ago, vis said:

If true, nice to see the assistants starting to feel the heat at least.  Wonder when Lappy gets it.

Pickard being waived is a no brainer.  Stolarz is better.  Arguable Lyon is as well.

Goulbourne is a yo-yo.  Feel bad for the kid.  Would like to see him in the lineup again and utilized on the PK.

When do you think a GM will be hired? 

-- [I could see this lasting beyond mere weeks, especially if they are prying someone gainfully employed elsewhere]

Who do you think they will hire?  Who would you like them to hire? 

-- [Hextall seems to want a young buck with a focus on analytics.  That rules out Fletcher and Francis, imo.  I'm cool with that.]

Will Homer make a significant trade before the new GM is hired?

-- [If it takes too long to hire the GM, definitely.  I still think he's going after Nylander.]

Will Homer fire the coach before the new GM is hired? 

-- [No.]

Will Hakstol last the season?

-- [Tough one, but I am going to say "yes" unless Q is willing to take the job (I think the Flyers are talking to candidates).]

Do you foresee any other lineup changes in the near future (outside of trades)?

-- [I think some of the Phantoms players will get a better look.  I think Lehtera is done (btw, whatever happened to his drug deal?).  In a shocker, I bet Lindblom is sent to the AHL.]

Goulbourne is gone because Raffl is back, not because a new winger is coming in necessarily. 

Pickard waived is a problem for me because I'd rather have him than Neuvirth at this point... and him being waived likely has to do with Neuvirth "being ready" to return... which means Neuvirth is just about ready to go back onto the IR... which makes waiving Pickard pointless.

Murphy being gone really makes it sound like something big is coming.  WHy would Homer of all people who was just clear that he wouldn't change the coach as that would be the new GM's job.  Firing a single Asst. coach is just weird at this stage in the game.  Especially when it's not Lappy.  

Makes me think Murphy must have unloaded on Homer.  

• Like 1

I am not going to cry over these moves whatsoever.  Thanks for your service boys and good luck in the future.  Yet, Lappy is still in the mix?  Why?  Based on the Flyers announcement it sounds like Hak had input on ol' Gordo's firing. 

"The Flyers organization has relieved Chris Pryor of his duties as Director of Player Personnel and Assistant General Manager. In addition, in close consultation with Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol, Gord Murphy has been relieved of his duties as assistant coach. I would like to thank Chris for his dedication to the franchise and contributions over the last 20 years. Likewise, we thank Gord Murphy for serving behind the bench for the last five seasons and helping grow and develop our young core of defensemen. We do not anticipate any further personnel moves in the near term."

Chris Pryor too?

Sheesh. Cleaning house.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Pickard waived is a problem for me because I'd rather have him than Neuvirth at this point.

I'm not Stolie is the new backup bank it.

Neuvy is gone as Elliott is healthy again.

Homer drafted Stolie, so they finally have someone who is showing they have faith in him and/or at least they are looking right under their nose before going further and looking around. Doing their due diligence before a trade comes down....which i think is coming as soon as a GM does his homework.

They are discussing all this right now on NHLnetwork right now if anyone cares.

• Like 1

They just dropped a name who should be at the top of the list.

And Bobby Clarke and Fletcher go back to Clarke's day at Florida....so now i know what his name was dropped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Homer drafted Stolie, so they finally have someone who is showing they have faith in him and/or at least they are looking right under their nose before going further and looking around. Doing their due diligence before a trade comes down....which i think is coming as soon as a GM does his homework.

I have a feeling you are right...

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh I definitely want Stolie for the new backup.  I've wanted that for two years.  I think Stolie is the perfect backup for this team.  Rough go at the end last night, but I still think he's the best option for many reasons.

I want Neuvy gone now.  I'd rather have Pickard and Stolie for the time being.  He's only going to get hurt again and he's not likely to tell anyone about it right away either.

Remember though, Homer drafted Stolie with the 2nd round pick he got for trading Bob... because he had to... because he couldn't manage the cap... because Bryz. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They just dropped a name who should be at the top of the list.

And Bobby Clarke and Fletcher go back to Clarke's day at Florida....so now i know what his name was dropped.

Fletcher is an idiot. He'll fit right in. 

Just now, ruxpin said:

He's not a good choice IMHO.  He's not a great assessor of talent.  

This team doesn't need a lot of work.  It needs a coach whose system isn't crap and who can make them believe in themselves (aka Laviolette) and a goalie. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All i am telling you now (you heard it here first)...........Mark Hunter!!!!

Check him out!!!

The new lead and i like this one.

Hidden Content

• Like 1

Meltzer....

Today on the Athletic, veteran hockey journalist Pierre Lebrun wrote that the Flyers list of potential general manager candidates has been whittled down to four. According to Lebrun, former longtime Minnesota Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher is the apparent front-runner. 

Lebrun said others in field of candidates may include current Buffalo Sabres assistant general manager Steve Greeley, current Columbus Blue Jackets assistant GM Bill Zito, former Toronto Maple Leafs executive Mark Hunter and former Carolina Hurricanes general manager and hockey operations manager (as well as Hockey Hall of Fame inductee as a player) Ron Francis.

Any of these men are viable candidates. Fletcher, the son of longtime hockey executive Cliff Fletcher, and Zito are two prospective names with a lot of similarities in their potential not only to direct hockey ops strategy and contractual interactions with agents but also to speak the language of the corporate side. That would, no doubt, be appealing to Comcast Spectacor.

Fletcher is a Harvard graduate. Zito is a Yale graduate. 

Fletcher is a former agent. Many years ago, he worked for Don Meehan's high-powered Newport Sports Management group. Zito is a former agent who headed his own agency; at the time he switched from the player representation side to the NHL team executive side, his group had the 6th-largest client base (include longtime Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen among other ex-Flyers). 

In the past, Fletcher worked for Hockey Canada as a 

Hidden Content

coordinator. More recently, Zito worked with USA Hockey, as an assistant GM of teams that won two bronze medals. Behind the scenes it was Zito who convinced Patrick Kane to play for Team USA at the 2018 World Championships; no small feat. Kane took tournament MVP honors for the bronze medalists.

Both Fletcher and Zito have experience in the amateur scouting/player development realm. Fletcher was Director of Hockey Operations, assistant general manager, and vice president of Amateur Scouting/Player Development for the Anaheim Ducks from 2002–06. Zito currently works heavily as the right hand man to Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekäläinen (who is widely regarded as as elite-caliber amateur scouting mind) among his duties.

Of the two, Fletcher has more extensive NHL front office experience. He was an assistant GM to Bob Clarke during the Florida Panthers' first season (1993-94) and stayed on in that post until 2002 when he went to Anaheim. Fletcher then spent three years as Pittsburgh Penguins assistant general manager Ray Shero. He finally got his opportunity to become an NHL general manager when he became the Wild's head GM (hired on May 21, 2009 and dismissed on April 23 of the same year).

Zito stayed on the agent side of the business for much longer than Fletcher but reportedly always had interest in eventually "changing sides" to the team executive side. He was handpicked by Columbus team president John Davidson and general manager Kekäläinen for the assistant GM role. Zito was involved in the process that brought Artemi Panarin to the Blue Jackets. He was also appointed general manager of the AHL's Cleveland Monsters, building the team that won the Calder Cup in 2015-16 and set a league record for playoff winning percentage that season. Many of the team's players and coaches are now in the NHL. 

The other candidates that Lebrun named all have their own pedigrees that would make them viable candidates. For example, Francis' name would carry the most instantly recognizable cache among even casual hockey followers. Greeley is another bright guy who is well versed on both the old-school and analytics-based approaches.

Appearing on Jason Myrtetus' podcast yesterday, Paul Holmgren said that he wants someone who will incorporate well-reasoned long-term strategy (which was certainly a strength of Ron Hextall) along with a boldness to make moves geared toward sparking the current team as well as embracing areas such as analytics. Those latter two areas were not strengths of Hexy's, or least not big parts of his focus. I do not know how strong Fletcher is on the analytics end, but I know that Zito is well-versed in that facet as is Greeley. 

Whomever the Flyers decide upon -- and all of these candidates are strong enough to deserve short-list consideration -- it needs to be done soon. It is untenable and unfair for Dave Hakstol to be left twisting in the wind and the struggling team to have to deal with the constant bombardment of GM-related questions if the process drags on for very long.

Lebrun is very well-connected, so if he says Fletcher is the apparent front-runner that is likely the case. However, before that decision gets finalized (if that is, indeed, how the Flyers are leaning), I would just hope that all of the names he listed get their opportunity to interview in person with Homer and David Scott to lay out their vision for taking the team forward as well as to highlight their credentials in a more personal way than the resume-like on-paper stuff I cited above. 

That's where things like passion, personality and likelihood of having strong working relations not only within hockey ops but also across the entire brand (C-levels, marketing, PR, sales, etc) as well as the public, the media, the Alumni, corporate sponsors and others come into a clearer light. If Fletcher is viewed as the front runner on the 

Hidden Content

side and checks all of these boxes as well, then it would be a wise choice. If someone else checks all or most of the boxes, go that way. Just don't have the outcome predetermined within two days of the decision to let Hexy go. 

Each and every candidate will take the team in a little bit of a different direction, according to his vision. So each and every vision should be discussed thoroughly and the one with the clearest vision that is specific to this current roster and farm 

Hidden Content

should get the job.

1 minute ago, intheslot said:

Mark Hunter

This is the guy they need right here.

Fletcher ugh just goes back to who Clarke brought in back when he was with the Florida Panthers. Pass on Fletcher.

Go get Mark Hunter....this is the guy they need to help turn this around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, intheslot said:

That's where things like passion, personality and likelihood of having strong working relations not only within hockey ops but also across the entire brand (C-levels, marketing, PR, sales, etc) as well as the public, the media, the Alumni, corporate sponsors and others come into a clearer light.

sounds like another shot at Hextall ...   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is the guy they need right here.

Fletcher ugh just goes back to who Clarke brought in back when he was with the Florida Panthers. Pass on Fletcher.

Go get Mark Hunter....this is the guy they need to help turn this around.

welp, you can bet Fletcher is the guy!    🙄

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Oh I definitely want Stolie for the new backup

Yes i think you and i lead his fan club.

He played well last night the team let him down.

I would have like to seen him get that flutter shot to take the lead but i understand what he was doing there.

At the rate of speed he was flying down with Gudas in his face he thought rightfully so the pass was going back out front for a shot on goal and it was except a fluky deflection that luckily went on net and in. I'm not mad at him the team let him down first to even put him in the that spot.

And then you go back earlier and when they were shot handed Coots had a easy goal in the open net and what did he do instead of shooting he passes it back to Giroux....jeeez how you pass up that easy goal is what is wrong with this team for years now.

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I want Neuvy gone now.

Me too but he is close to being ready.

So Elliott has been called week to week so my thinking if Stolie plays well when Elliott is ready i think Neuvy gets waived and then we know he won't be claimed he will be the new 3rd goalie with the Phantoms.

And Pickard can still backup Stolie since he has been waiver that was a paper transaction that had to happen once he passes through waivers he can still play for the Flyers.

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

welp, you can bet Fletcher is the guy!    🙄

I am thinking Mark Hunter will be the guy Clarke is really good friends with the Hunter brothers.

So now the AGM spot has opened up after Pryor got axed....Danny Briere??? Come on down????

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Goulbourne is gone because Raffl is back, not because a new winger is coming in necessarily. 

Pickard waived is a problem for me because I'd rather have him than Neuvirth at this point... and him being waived likely has to do with Neuvirth "being ready" to return... which means Neuvirth is just about ready to go back onto the IR... which makes waiving Pickard pointless.

Murphy being gone really makes it sound like something big is coming.  WHy would Homer of all people who was just clear that he wouldn't change the coach as that would be the new GM's job.  Firing a single Asst. coach is just weird at this stage in the game.  Especially when it's not Lappy.  

Makes me think Murphy must have unloaded on Homer.  

Murphy was Hextall's hire. Seems anyone that Hextall put in place is gone.