Moves Starting?

vis

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They did try to get Hutton for AMac, but Buffalo said no. Darn.:ph34r:

Based on Buffalo's trade history, they really should try that. I'm actually willing to see how Stolarz goes though. 

All crapping aside...if Ryan Miller were a Flyer RIGHT NOW, he actually COULD help the team a bit THIS SEASON, provided he goes into a timeshare maximum with a guy like Elliot or Stolarz..... He is having a decent year, albeit playing very limited time in Anaheim behind a less than stellar defense there.

That said, Miller ISN'T a Flyer and he isn't GOING to be....and really shouldn't.

If he were in Philly, he likely would be asked to do more than he should (because really, Philly needs a full time starter who can stay healthy...NOT another backup), AND he is 38 years old, and even if someone in the front office got the hair brained scheme to get him in the off season, they would be looking at a 39 yr old who would be asked to play starter minutes behind a young defense...which would likely lead Fletcher to the unemployment line faster than you can say "Hextall laughing his arse off".

What I am saying is, Miller is fine where he is, for what he is doing, for the amount of time he is doing it.

Miller is NOT an answer for anyone needing goaltending help. He is fine as the Ducks' backup.
Philadelphia would have some options, albeit some stop gap ones, that would far exceed anything Miller could give them at this point in his career, until their young hopeful is ready for Prime Time.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Miller is NOT an answer for anyone needing goaltending help.

You’re walking a fine line TFG. Going to rile up a certain Western NY’er. Well done...lol

2 minutes ago, Samifan said:

You’re walking a fine line TFG. Going to rile up a certain Western NY’er. Well done...lol

You kidding me?
I rile up certain Western New Yorkers by telling them I think Buffalo is an up n coming team while leaving out the part about that same team being a true contender just yet.

It's a thankless job, I tell ya... :bigteeth:

39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

All crapping aside...if Ryan Miller were a Flyer RIGHT NOW, he actually COULD help the team a bit THIS SEASON, provided he goes into a timeshare maximum with a guy like Elliot or Stolarz..... He is having a decent year, albeit playing very limited time in Anaheim behind a less than stellar defense there.

That said, Miller ISN'T a Flyer and he isn't GOING to be....and really shouldn't.

If he were in Philly, he likely would be asked to do more than he should (because really, Philly needs a full time starter who can stay healthy...NOT another backup), AND he is 38 years old, and even if someone in the front office got the hair brained scheme to get him in the off season, they would be looking at a 39 yr old who would be asked to play starter minutes behind a young defense...which would likely lead Fletcher to the unemployment line faster than you can say "Hextall laughing his arse off".

What I am saying is, Miller is fine where he is, for what he is doing, for the amount of time he is doing it.

Miller is NOT an answer for anyone needing goaltending help. He is fine as the Ducks' backup.
Philadelphia would have some options, albeit some stop gap ones, that would far exceed anything Miller could give them at this point in his career, until their young hopeful is ready for Prime Time.

I would take Miller over Neuvy no doubt.

I'll leave this here...

From Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, who we recall broke the Braydon Coburn trade in 2015 at 1:48 a.m.:

The answer to the longest-running riddle in hockey may come from an unexpected place: As the Philadelphia Flyers ruminate on how to shore up their goaltending — at least until prospect Carter Hart is ready to take the wheel — there are whispers they will take a run at Sergei Bobrovsky on July 1.

...discuss...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/beyond-headlines-expect-trade-action-nhls-holiday-freeze/

PHILLY HOMECOMING?

The answer to the longest-running riddle in hockey may come from an unexpected place: As the Philadelphia Flyers ruminate on how to shore up their goaltending — at least until prospect Carter Hart is ready to take the wheel — there are whispers they will take a run at Sergei Bobrovsky on July 1.

Yes, that’s the same Sergei Bobrovsky the Flyers once signed as an undrafted free agent out of Russia. The same Sergei Bobrovsky they traded to Columbus for a second-, third- and fourth-round draft pick, only to see him win the Vezina Trophy twice.

Bobrovsky has posted the NHL’s second-best save percentage (.921) since being dealt to the Blue Jackets in 2012. It’s a strong track record that accounts for his struggles in the first third of this season — struggles that will probably be overlooked by the Flyers, Islanders and others should he hit the open market this summer, as expected.

Philadelphia has cycled through a couple different coaching staffs and front office setups since the Bobrovsky deal (Paul Holmgren, the GM at the time, is now team president), all while trying an alphabet-spanning list of goaltenders that ranges from Alex Lyon to Rob Zepp.

With none of their NHL options signed beyond this season, the Flyers will be looking for another answer this summer. It may just be Bobrovsky.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll leave this here...

From Sportsnet's Chris Johnston, who we recall broke the Braydon Coburn trade in 2015 at 1:48 a.m.:

...discuss...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/beyond-headlines-expect-trade-action-nhls-holiday-freeze/

PHILLY HOMECOMING?

Yes, that’s the same Sergei Bobrovsky the Flyers once signed as an undrafted free agent out of Russia. The same Sergei Bobrovsky they traded to Columbus for a second-, third- and fourth-round draft pick, only to see him win the Vezina Trophy twice.

Bobrovsky has posted the NHL’s second-best save percentage (.921) since being dealt to the Blue Jackets in 2012. It’s a strong track record that accounts for his struggles in the first third of this season — struggles that will probably be overlooked by the Flyers, Islanders and others should he hit the open market this summer, as expected.

Philadelphia has cycled through a couple different coaching staffs and front office setups since the Bobrovsky deal (Paul Holmgren, the GM at the time, is now team president), all while trying an alphabet-spanning list of goaltenders that ranges from Alex Lyon to Rob Zepp.

With none of their NHL options signed beyond this season, the Flyers will be looking for another answer this summer. It may just be Bobrovsky.

It wouldn't be among the first 100 times I was wrong, but I would be stunned.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'll leave this here...

...discuss...

PHILLY HOMECOMING?

I can see it now. Fletch signs Bob for 8 years (using the patented Homer Draft Pick For Pending UFA method) for at least, what, $6M-$7M / year?

In Year 3, when it's clear Hart will be second fiddle behind the prized UFA signing, Fletch trades him away.

I've seen this movie before, and I didn't like it the first time around.

The thing is, I would trust Hextall to sign Bob because I know he wouldn't if it would screw up the plans. 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

I can see it now. Fletch signs Bob for 8 years (using the patented Homer Draft Pick For Pending UFA method) for at least, what, $6M-$7M / year?

In Year 3, when it's clear Hart will be second fiddle behind the prized UFA signing, Fletch trades him away.

I've seen this movie before, and I didn't like it the first time around.

The thing is, I would trust Hextall to sign Bob because I know he wouldn't if it would screw up the plans. 

I can't see it happening really.

Rumor is he wants Price money and if Hart wasn't being groomed I could see maybe the Flyers pursuing him.

But with the prospects the Flyers even though they aren't ready they would be shear fools to sign him to a long term deal.

Now I can see maybe Bob getting Price money form someone else around the NHL like the Yotes maybe Flames...but there just are not a lot of suitors for him really unless a team trades away their starter.

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can't see it happening really.

Rumor is he wants Price money and if Hart wasn't being groomed I could see maybe the Flyers pursuing him.

But with the prospects the Flyers even though they aren't ready they would be shear fools to sign him to a long term deal.

Now I can see maybe Bob getting Price money form someone else around the NHL like the Yotes maybe Flames...but there just are not a lot of suitors for him really unless a team trades away their starter.

I know, I was (mostly) kidding. 

But in all honesty, Bob solves the goaltending problem in theory. There's no guarantee he actually plays like that here, but his career shows he's a top flight goalie.

So, do you go with Bob, a proven commodity, and enjoy some breathing room while the prospects sort themselves out, and hope someone emerges eventually as a successor? That could take anywhere from one year to never.

Or do you - once again - look for some kind of band-aid solution while all of your real eggs are in the Hart basket?

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

but his career shows he's a top flight goalie

In the regular season sure.

Playoffs come not so much.

And choking against the Pens as he has done would not endear him to the fans.

Career playoff numbers 5-14 3.49 gaa 891% is not very pretty.

More likely the reason the Blue Jackets are cutting bait.

41 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Just curious, would any of you be interested in Devan Dubnyk if he became available?

Uh no.

However he is the perfect-by-the-time-Flyers-get-them age of 32.

It would be close to doing Brian Elliott all over again except he is twice the price for 3 more years after this one.

However if you want to trade him for Andrew Macdonald we might can work something out.

Interested still?

Oh for ****s sake.  Stop with the god damn retreads.   

I'm so tired of traded someone away for the prime and then pulling them back after they were successful elsewhere.  

They should make a rule that if you are traded from a team you can't play for that team ever again.

This management needs to retire already.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh no.

However he is the perfect-by-the-time-Flyers-get-them age of 32.

It would be close to doing Brian Elliott all over again except he is twice the price for 3 more years after this one.

However if you want to trade him for Andrew Macdonald we might can work something out.

Interested still?

Didn't think so.

Some on the Wild board were floating the idea of Fletcher going after Dubnyk because the Wild have Kappo Kahkonen starting to make some noise in the AHL. So the Wild could trade Dubnyk to the Flyers for prospects and then anoint Kahkonen the starting goaltender because he was AHL Goalie of the Month for November.

Based on the responses I've seen here, you guys are less than thrilled with Fletcher and probably wouldn't have wanted him to trade prospects for Dubnyk.

And that's saying the Flyers aren't part of Dubnyk's "No Trade" clause...

This question was just to confirm what I pretty much figured... 

There have been rumors of the Flyers making a run at Bob this summer.

But myself i would prefer to try and make a run at Semyon Varlamov instead.

That is if the Avs let him go. Maybe the Avs got after Bob.

Bob is 6 months younger. They have similar numbers.

However i think Varlamov in more mentally tough for Philly.

Plus he has a better career save percentage in the playoffs. 915% vs 891%

And may come cheaper.

Go for Varly.

Archived