Moves Starting?

vis

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

There is no way I am trading Farabee or O'Brien or Frost or a host of others for Doughty. I actually have zero interest. 

I would definitely trade one of them. They would have to be Giroux-level in their careers to make it seem like a bad trade. 

It's possible, but again, not likely. 

Really, the only prospect I wouldn't consider trading is Hart. 

Look at it this way - with Doughty and, say, Varlamov, this is a very different team. If we have the possibility of maximizing Giroux's value while he's still really good, that kind of shakeup is probably our best bet. 

I guess it depends on what your goal is. Are you adamant about not moving them for *Doughty*, or *anyone*?

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would definitely trade one of them. They would have to be Giroux-level in their careers to make it seem like a bad trade. 

It's possible, but again, not likely. 

Really, the only prospect I wouldn't consider trading is Hart. 

Look at it this way - with Doughty and, say, Varlamov, this is a very different team. If we have the possibility of maximizing Giroux's value while he's still really good, that kind of shakeup is probably our best bet. 

I guess it depends on what your goal is. Are you adamant about not moving them for *Doughty*, or *anyone*?

I'm not interested in Doughty. I think he's already not what he was, is nearly Rathje slow, and has a horrible term left. 

And, honestly, I'd have to be blown away to move all of the people I listed. We have a really good (and cap manageable) thing coming. I'm not blowing it up for an older guy on a down escalator and a horrible contract. 

But specifically not interested in Doughty. 5 years ago yes. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not interested in Doughty. I think he's already not what he was, is nearly Rathje slow, and has a horrible term left. 

And, honestly, I'd have to be blown away to move all of the people I listed. We have a really good (and cap manageable) thing coming. I'm not blowing it up for an older guy on a down escalator and a horrible contract. 

#harsh

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Is he really that slow? Every time I see him - which is admittedly not very often - he seems fine to me. Decent speed actually. 

Agreed about the contract. It's definitely yuge. LA might be amenable to retaining some salary.

He was too busy winning Stanley Cups. 

;)

38 minutes ago, brelic said:

Is he really that slow? Every time I see him - which is admittedly not very often - he seems fine to me. Decent speed actually. 

Agreed about the contract. It's definitely yuge. LA might be amenable to retaining some salary.

He was too busy winning Stanley Cups. 

;)

Disregard everything I said about speed.  The contract stuff is still relevant, though. 

You were saying Daughty, and I was TYPING Daughty, but my feeble little mind was thinking Keith. Good lord. 

I want to blame the migraine, but that's still pretty pathetic. 

Carry on. 

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Disregard everything I said about speed.  The contract stuff is still relevant, though. 

You were saying Daughty, and I was TYPING Daughty, but my feeble little mind was thinking Keith. Good lord. 

Carry on. 

@pilldoc can hook you up ;)

Or just come to Canada. We got the good stuff. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Carry on. 

Who the hell is Keith Daughty? 

2 hours ago, brelic said:

Possibly but highly doubtful. 

Even so, Sanheim is not a mentor. He's a mentee. And for all of Provorov's pedigree and early successes, he could use an experienced, talented mentor too. The whole defense could. 

To get a guy like Doughty, though, the Flyers would have to give up some pieces that probably most people don't want to see go. Honestly, though, there isn't much I'd put as 'untouchable' to get a guy like him. He's 29, not 35 like Pronger. His contract expires when he's 35, I believe, so not like Pronger or a Keith that run into their 40s. 

Of course, the $11M cap hit is significant. But honestly, there's no one currently in the Flyers organization that I see even being close to earning that kind of contract. Maybe Provorov, but that would be in his late 20s if he's proven himself as a true elite #1. No forward comes close to showing that kind of potential right now. 

I think getting Doughty would certainly mean the end of Jake. 

Well the best 3 pairs this year have involved Sanheim.

So it can't hurt to try him Ivan.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about but I don't see Keith anywhere in my post.

Keith's having nothing whatsoever to do with Brelic's posts didn't stop me from (bizarrely) talking about Keith (despite the fact I was typing someone else's name entirely!).  

It was just a reference to that.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the best 3 pairs this year have involved Sanheim.

So it can't hurt to try him Ivan.

Oh for sure. I’d love to see Sanheim with Provorov.

A guy like Doughty is on top of that, as an experienced (and talented) mentor. Pieterangelo could be the same. 

But not Parayko. I mean, sure, he would be good to have, but I don’t think he’s what this team is lacking on defense. 

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

A guy like Doughty is on top of that, as an experienced (and talented) mentor. Pieterangelo could be the same. 

But not Parayko. I mean, sure, he would be good to have, but I don’t think he’s what this team is lacking on defense. 

I'd be very much on board with Pieterangelo.  He'd give you the kind of good defense/mentoring you're looking for and a great term (through end of next season).  Depending on what would have to go the other way, I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Parayko would be great to have.  He'd get you a really good RD, but even at 25--and despite the fact he'd be older than everyone except Farmer Andrew and Folin--he doesn't get you the mentoring influence I agree with you we need.

Doughty's term and money really bother me.  It's the term more than the money, but definitely the money too.  Not that it changes the cap hit any, but I think the fact his contract is so back-loaded probably makes it unlikely the Flyers go for him (not that Fletcher has proven to be above that).

You know, I haven't seen this anywhere, so it's just me typing.  But the Wild currently sit out of a wildcard spot.  They have games in hand, but I'm not bullish.   With the connection, why would it be surprising to see the Flyers take a run at Dubnyk?  He's 32 and is signed at a reasonable cap hit for two more seasons.  It seems that window is perfect.   Granted, he's about the only thing that team has going for it, but Kahkonen, at 22, is now in the AHL and is doing well so he may be about ready.

13 hours ago, brelic said:

Parayko would add some toughness to the blueline. AP doesn't quit bring that, although brings other skills.

And let's be real AP and Doughty are going to take ALOT to acquire. Parayko not as much still won't be cheap.

So all are more in the fantasy realm type moves....ain't happening.

However if we are just looking at adding leadership i wouldn't mind a guy who won't be as costly.

I would take Jake Muzzin. The Kings are looking to move guys out as the rebuild. Kick the tires on him.

And if he can get Mcturd out the lineup i will take it.

for all of you out there that think trading Lethera, Weise, Macdonald, etc is gonna happen its not. And even if it does it will get the same back. You have to give up an asset to get one back. I also don't think its prudent to believe that all the middle of the round picks in LV and junior hockey are going to pan out. I am as hopeful as anyone that they do, but. If Fletch starts trading these assets for 30 year old 3rd liners and back up goalies just to blow smoke up Comcasts ass then shame on Holmgren and Scott. I am still on the blow it up bandwagon. Your best assets will return the greatest bounty. The team is a minimum 3 years away from scaring anyone in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

for all of you out there that think trading Lethera, Weise, Macdonald, etc is gonna happen its not. And even if it does it will get the same back.

There is a chance they could move these guys believe or not and when/if you move these guys it isn't about the return these guys would just be freeing up roster spots and adding some depth to team trying to make a playoff run.

Simmer, Lehtera, Laughton, Weal, Raffl, Folin who are only sign for the remainder of this season have the higher chance of being moved for depth at these runs because of no commitment beyond this year. 

And Simmer could be a nice weapon to add to a teams forward depth. The other are just bottom 6 depth guys and Folin's case a 6th 7th Dman nothing more.

Guys like Gudas, Weise and Macdonald too can be move as well for depth however since they are under contract for next year unless a team really likes them will be really hard to move. These 3 they are stuck with i' afraid unless they decide to buy them out this summer.

Yeah the Flyers have plenty of cap space and don't have to buy them out unless they just want to free up a contract.

At this point hard to say what will go down.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be very much on board with Pieterangelo.  He'd give you the kind of good defense/mentoring you're looking for and a great term (through end of next season).  Depending on what would have to go the other way, I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Parayko would be great to have.  He'd get you a really good RD, but even at 25--and despite the fact he'd be older than everyone except Farmer Andrew and Folin--he doesn't get you the mentoring influence I agree with you we need.

Doughty's term and money really bother me.  It's the term more than the money, but definitely the money too.  Not that it changes the cap hit any, but I think the fact his contract is so back-loaded probably makes it unlikely the Flyers go for him (not that Fletcher has proven to be above that).

You know, I haven't seen this anywhere, so it's just me typing.  But the Wild currently sit out of a wildcard spot.  They have games in hand, but I'm not bullish.   With the connection, why would it be surprising to see the Flyers take a run at Dubnyk?  He's 32 and is signed at a reasonable cap hit for two more seasons.  It seems that window is perfect.   Granted, he's about the only thing that team has going for it, but Kahkonen, at 22, is now in the AHL and is doing well so he may be about ready.

I'd love to see the Flyers get Pieterangelo but what would you have to give up to get the St.Louis captain, Ghost and picks?

10 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I'd love to see the Flyers get Pieterangelo but what would you have to give up to get the St.Louis captain, Ghost and picks?

Ghost is no longer off the table to me. I'd consider it. But nothing better than 3rd round if Ghost is involved. 

in all in fairness, does age have to matter on how fletch improves the team? i mean what teams are going to  give away 25 or 26 star players? i mean karlson was the only player, it's not like nhl 19 where you can trade all your assets for 25 and under elite players, that's very unrealistic and no dumb gms are going to do that and plus it's going to cost more to get them than getting vet players. im not against young or old players, im just saying whatever is out on the market young or old that can make this team better you do it.

it shouldnt have to be a certain age.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Ghost is no longer off the table to me. I'd consider it. But nothing better than 3rd round if Ghost is involved. 

I would pump the brakes on that especially with him maybe needing surgery on his stick hand. No. I pass.

I'm not the biggest fan of AP. And can see him in the Flyer fan doghouse real quick and he is about to turn 29.

I will keep the 25 year old Ghost.

2 hours ago, flyersfan35 said:

in all in fairness, does age have to matter on how fletch improves the team? i mean what teams are going to  give away 25 or 26 star players? i mean karlson was the only player, it's not like nhl 19 where you can trade all your assets for 25 and under elite players, that's very unrealistic and no dumb gms are going to do that and plus it's going to cost more to get them than getting vet players. im not against young or old players, im just saying whatever is out on the market young or old that can make this team better you do it.

it shouldnt have to be a certain age.

Of course age matters...trading picks/prospects for old guys with a year or two left in them just so we can have a 1st round playoff exit makes ZERO sense to me. I could even care a less if we make it TWO rounds. 

The goal, to me, is the cup. I don't care if it takes 5 or 8 years. That's the goal. A playoff round or two means diddly-squat to me.

Archived