Moves Starting?

vis

15 minutes ago, brelic said:

If Ottawa gets rid of Anderson, they're doing the sensible thing and edging closer to a guy like Hughes.

I am sure the Avs would be just giddy if that happens since they have their 1st round pick...

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, brelic said:

But Holmgren just can't help himself. He's going to want to push for on-ice success *right now* and a playoff berth. There's no way he's going to get rid of established veterans for unproven rookies - that would be the complete opposite of what he and Scott were saying. That they need to see on-ice success now.

This just reeks of the "make the playoffs and anything can happen" mentality which crippled this franchise for decades.

Homer: "What we need this year is a 3C and a goalie and we can make the playoffs and anything can happen."

Skeptical fan: "How does that affect the team next year?"

Homer: "I said ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN."

This is how you trade away a 30-goal scorer for Luke Schenn. This is how you trade away a three time Cup winner and Conn Smythe winner for Danny Markov. This is how you sign the Ghost of Vinny Lecavalier for "veteran leadership".  This is how you turn Vinny Prospal and the pick that became Danny Briere into Adam Burt.

I'll place my bet right now: Wayne Simmonds, Carter Hart, and 2 2nds for Jonathan Quick.

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Prove me wrong, Homer. Please.

He's not his brain don't work like that he is going to do thing in his mind to help them turn it around...Scott is making sure of that i think.

I don't think Scott is smart enough or cares enough if they get a Matthews type play he wants $$$$$$$ right now.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I mean honestly no one i know likes to work...but when it gets like that where there are issues something needed to be done

I like to work.  Why I.....oh nevermind, I just can't pull this horsecrap off.

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'll place my bet right now: Wayne Simmonds, Carter Hart, and 2 2nds for Jonathan Quick.

The only thing that might stop this from being guaranteed to happen is that LA is looking pretty good in net depth with the reborn Campbell and Cal Petersen. 

51 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Three goalies I am hearing as possibilities are Jonathan Quick, Craig Anderson, and Mike Smith... Any of these keepers would bring a huge breath of fresh air to the team and would likely inspire the entire lineup...

I'm working under the assumption that this was sarcasm.

I think Quick could work as far as goaltending goes (maybe, let's see what he looks like post-injury first).  But as a contract we will hate him before he leaves Philly.  It's way too long a commitment unless they think they can get out of it when the league gets shut down again so the owners can, um, learn to control themselves (pauses for laughter)

Craig Anderson could actually be suitable for what we need.   He has a manageable cap hit and is only signed through the end of next season.  HIs peripheral stats aren't horrible, he just has no defense.  On the other hand, he won't here either, so...

Mike Smith:  No thank you.  He really has no excuse for his performance this year other than maybe Father Time has finally caught up.

36 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Craig Anderson could actually be suitable for what we need.

This is what i am thinking.

Hextall should have went out and try to sign Halak or even Khudobin after buying Neuvy out.....but he didn't.

**statusquo**

52 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm working under the assumption that this was sarcasm.

I think Quick could work as far as goaltending goes (maybe, let's see what he looks like post-injury first).  But as a contract we will hate him before he leaves Philly.  It's way too long a commitment unless they think they can get out of it when the league gets shut down again so the owners can, um, learn to control themselves (pauses for laughter)

Craig Anderson could actually be suitable for what we need.   He has a manageable cap hit and is only signed through the end of next season.  HIs peripheral stats aren't horrible, he just has no defense.  On the other hand, he won't here either, so...

Mike Smith:  No thank you.  He really has no excuse for his performance this year other than maybe Father Time has finally caught up.

One other who might make sense, and might be available: Crawford. Again, depends upon a clean bill of health, but he is 6 million against the cap this year and next, then is a UFA. 

I know Nylander is getting thrown around a lot, and the Leafs have what, 48 hours? Less? To make a decision on him, but he's played primarily wing for Toronto, and he's not known for his defense. Trading one of the young defensemen isn't good value for a winger, at least in my opinion. Wing just isn't a premium position like defense is. So if you trade Ghost for Nylander, and Nylander can only play wing in the NHL, you've overpaid (50pt defenseman > 60point winger), ditto if Sanheim turns into what he looks like he could be.  The only saving grace is that Nylander is still quite young, so he wouldn't be a typical Homer special, but I'm not sure he helps this team as much as some would hope. Especially when you factor in what it seems it might cost to acquire him. He would certainly make the top two lines very dynamic if he settled in on LW2. I just have a sinking feeling that a couple years from now we'd be lamenting the fact that we gave up one of the great young defensemen in the league when the Flyers traded for him.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

if he settled in on LW2

The problem is worse than that because he's a RW.

If...again if...they are keeping Voracek, then you'd have one of Konecny, Voracek, or Nylander at 3RW.   I don't know if that's a huge problem or not.   I'd try him at center first if the get him, but yeah, if C ends up being an issue then that could create a problem.

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

One other who might make sense, and might be available: Crawford

I'd be okay with that.   Bill of health and all.

We could probably get Jake Allen on a handshake.   I'm completely kidding, of course, but I also think Allen would be better than he's shown with a change of scenery.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

The problem is worse than that because he's a RW.

If...again if...they are keeping Voracek, then you'd have one of Konecny, Voracek, or Nylander at 3RW.   I don't know if that's a huge problem or not.   I'd try him at center first if the get him, but yeah, if C ends up being an issue then that could create a problem.

Is he though? I'm asking honestly... 

He took the 4th most faceoffs last year on the Leafs, only about 30 or so behind Matthews who was 3rd. Bozak and Kadri were 1 and 2.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

He took the 4th most faceoffs last year on the Leafs, only about 30 or so behind Matthews who was 3rd. Bozak and Kadri were 1 and 2.

Yes, he is. He alternates in on draws like Giroux/Couturier. He played wing except when Bozak was injured.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Yes, he is. He alternates in on draws like Giroux/Couturier. He played wing except when Bozak was injured.

Interesting. He's listed as a C on NHL.com, hockeydb.com, and hockey-reference.com.

Was he drafted as a C and then converted to wing in the NHL? 

In any case, he's got a C background, so would it be a stretch to play him as 2C here, and slide Patrick down to 3C?

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Interesting. He's listed as a C on NHL.com, hockeydb.com, and hockey-reference.com.

Was he drafted as a C and then converted to wing in the NHL? 

In any case, he's got a C background, so would it be a stretch to play him as 2C here, and slide Patrick down to 3C?

Drafted as a C. Not uncommon.

Patrick is more proven as a C in the NHL. It would make more sense to play him at 3c first, and move him up if he proves adept.

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

I meant as opposed to the suggested LW.

He's a C/RW.  I think he'll be decent at center.  He's played there in Toronto, though I don't think enough for his liking.  Actually, it's my understanding he took a bit of the faceoffs even when playing wing, but I don't know that.

Speaking of moves this is what i want and let them for a few games not 5 minutes STAY TOGETHER to develop some chemistry.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 15 Jori Lehterä - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 26 Christian Folin
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

41 Anthony Stolarz / 30 Michal Neuvirth

There is absolutely nothing to lose here sitting at 3rd worst in the NHL.

Stop with the constant line juggling give them some stability. 

Constant line juggling reeks of desperation so Hak says he doesn't worry about losing his job ok then damn it prove it.

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of moves this is what i want and let them for a few games not 5 minutes STAY TOGETHER to develop some chemistry.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 15 Jori Lehterä - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 26 Christian Folin
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

41 Anthony Stolarz / 30 Michal Neuvirth

There is absolutely nothing to lose here sitting at 3rd worst in the NHL.

Stop with the constant line juggling give them some stability. 

Constant line juggling reeks of desperation so Hak says he doesn't worry about losing his job ok then damn it prove it.

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I really enjoyed seeing Ghost and Provy together again, and they looked better together. 

Let’s make it a thing again. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

Scott Darling, anyone? He’s free on waivers. 

Waive Neuvirth. 

Not free by any means.

He has two more years left on his 4 year 16 mill deal.

Wow bad is he?

When you get beat out by Petr Mrazek you at the bottom looking up!

HELL TO THA NAH!

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not free by any means.

He has two more years left on his 4 year 16 mill deal.

Wow bad is he?

When you get beat out by Petr Mrazek you at the bottom looking up!

HELL TO THA NAH!

Yeah his stats in Carolina are just brutal. But his Chicago numbers were solid. Could be decent under a guy like Q?

Mainly, though, I like the idea that his contract is two years. Perfect length for a bridge guy, who maybe works in a tandem moreso than being a #1.

I think the cap hit is absorbable. We have contracts coming off, and already have a lot of cap space. 

Just spitballin’ lol.

Archived