Moves Starting?

vis

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh it's probably killing Homer to resist the urge to NOT send Travis Sanheim who is Hextall's 2nd cousin to Toronto for Nylander.

I think you meant Simmer, Sanheim, and our 2nd round picks for the next five years.

It’s amazing that we basically went 4+ years without hearing a peep about trades and rumours under Hextall. 

The floodgates have opened in the 3 days since. 

At at least people are talking about the Flyers again, right? Scott’s gotta like that. 

7 hours ago, brelic said:

It’s amazing that we basically went 4+ years without hearing a peep about trades and rumours under Hextall. 

The floodgates have opened in the 3 days since. 

At at least people are talking about the Flyers again, right? Scott’s gotta like that. 

I would rather stand pat right now let the new GM do his work.

Jack Hughes is sitting there for the taking at the end of the season.

And even if they don't get Hughes if they can get a top 5 pick to add to what they already have i would be happy with that.

It doesn't even have to be used. It could be a huge trade chip the GM could use to add a true starter in net that is sorely missed.

A new coaching staff. The lineup they have now. See what they can do before getting crazy with drafts.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 40 Jordan Weal - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 21 Scott Laughton- 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 26 Christian Folin
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

41 Anthony Stolarz / 30 Michal Neuvy

37 Brian Elliott

15 Jori Lehtera

47 Andrew Macdonald

That is a decent roster to work with. I without doubt needs to tweaks. It is in better shape than when Hextall took over.

Some great trade pieces to work with. The new GM has sometime to evaluate before the trade deadline.

I think they will hire a new defensive coach and give Hak the rest of the year.

Unless they find out Quenneville is ready to start now.

This is meant to draw Rick in but i would honestly kick the tires of Ryan Miller. I know report me!

I think he would be an upgrade over Elliott or Neuvy.

In fact i would love to trade one of those two for him.

I think they would have to sweeten the deal some no reason otherwise for the Ducks to move their solid backup.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would rather stand pat right now let the new GM do his work.

Jack Hughes is sitting there for the taking at the end of the season.

And even if they don't get Hughes if they can get a top 5 pick to add to what they already have i would be happy with that.

It doesn't even have to be used. It could be a huge trade chip the GM could use to add a true starter in net that is sorely missed.

A new coaching staff. The lineup they have now. See what they can do before getting crazy with drafts.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 40 Jordan Weal - 17 Wayne Simmonds
22 Dale Weise - 21 Scott Laughton- 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 26 Christian Folin
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

41 Anthony Stolarz / 30 Michal Neuvy

37 Brian Elliott

15 Jori Lehtera

47 Andrew Macdonald

That is a decent roster to work with. I without doubt needs to tweaks. It is in better shape than when Hextall took over.

Some great trade pieces to work with. The new GM has sometime to evaluate before the trade deadline.

I think they will hire a new defensive coach and give Hak the rest of the year.

Unless they find out Quenneville is ready to start now.

You're not wrong. It does appear to be a solid roster to work with. On paper, I think most would say it doesn't seem like a line up that should require very much to be very good.

And yet, it really hasn't been good. It was saved last year largely because of one guy, and so far this season the roster is floundering and showing itself largely incapable of stringing together more than one decent period a game at best. And that's despite the same one guy who is still playing very high caliber hockey.

I wouldn't have canned Hexy as a first step, but I can definitely understand why the brass ran out of patience. This is the second season in a row I can remember where the Flyers were considered under the radar contenders, primed and waiting for a major step forward. Instead, they're in the basement. 

It's also not like they're near the bottom three due to bad luck or injuries or what have you. They're playing poorly. This roster that seemed primed to take a major step forward is exactly where it should be right now based on their level of play.

Again, I would have definitely dropped the coaches first. I'm still baffled that didn't happen in fact. It seems entirely logical to assume that with a different system, maybe this chronically underperforming roster could finally take the step forward so many thought they would.

Was Hexy unwilling to make such a blatantly obvious change? That would explain at least in part why he was shown the door. We'll probably never know of course.

I really liked Hexy's methods. We have the best prospect pool we've ever had (on paper anyway). We have a bunch of money to work with to retain our upcoming youngsters. Hexy made some questionable signings in Voracek and now JVR, but I would consider both of them understandable signings at the time. He didn't find us a 3C in the offseason, but we have so many "almost there" players who could take that spot, I can understand this decision as well.

Did he do everything right? No, but it was definitely a refreshing tenure when compared to the pure chaos of the homercoaster. I'm going to be very sad to see many of Hexy's best decisions now go to waste in the name of sneaking into the playoffs and making more money. 

I dunno. Part of me can't stand his loyalty to the coaching staff, but he made so many other great decisions. It's a messy situation for sure.

14 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't think Nylander is a need. Honestly, I'd rather they go after someone like Corey Crawford instead. Get a goalie for the next couple of years, allow some time for Hart to be groomed. Crawford also won't cost much either. 

Is he better than Craig Anderson?

He his salary is 6 mill for this year and next.

Is slightly younger but still 34 ain't young.

Anderson salary is a little less at 4.7 mill.

I guess it depends on the asking price.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I see Wild are trying to move Charlie Coyle.

What about him for the 3rd line center spot.

Flip Simmer for Coyle and a 3rd?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't hate it, but I'm really not a fan of Coyle.  I think he's greatly overrated and has jumped the shark.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

And yet, it really hasn't been good. It was saved last year largely because of one guy, and so far this season the roster is floundering and showing itself largely incapable of stringing together more than one decent period a game at best. And that's despite the same one guy who is still playing very high caliber hockey.

That's because it honestly was not one guy.  I know we could legitimately give Giroux the credit for this, but Coots was very strong and Konecny.  And Ghost and Provorov played much better.   In the second half when we were actually doing well, Patrick was very good.

Giroux is really the only one on that list that has continued playing well.  

I know this wasn't the point of your post, which I thought was very good.  Just wanted to respond to this tidbit.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is he better than Craig Anderson?

He his salary is 6 mill for this year and next.

Is slightly younger but still 34 ain't young.

Anderson salary is a little less at 4.7 mill.

I guess it depends on the asking price.

I'd do either.   I'm not sure in what order and could probably argue either way.    Anderson's peripherals really aren't horrible considering the crap ton of shots he faces.  Yeah, I agree that it depends on the asking price.

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd do either.   I'm not sure in what order and could probably argue either way.    Anderson's peripherals really aren't horrible considering the crap ton of shots he faces.  Yeah, I agree that it depends on the asking price.

So, trade for a goalie who is having an "OK" season behind a questionable defense on teams roughly equivalent in the standings... 

Those are some lovely deck chairs but don't you think they'd look better like this?

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

So, trade for a goalie who is having an "OK" season behind a questionable defense on teams roughly equivalent in the standings... 

Those are some lovely deck chairs but don't you think they'd look better like this?

At this point I would be just happy slightly more comfy deck chair but DIFFERENT...that a leg don't break everytime someone sits in it....don't care what it looks like.

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yes.

The reasoning is that they're as high as they are because of the goaltending (and ability to score like crazy while playing no defense) while the Flyers are where they are largely because of no goaltending.   Again--the reasoning--the idea would be the Flyers could play "up" a little more if they had confidence every single mistake wouldn't end up in their net.

Try to express all the holes in that argument in just one post.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

At this point I would be just happy slightly more comfy deck chair but DIFFERENT...that a leg don't break everytime someone sits in it....don't care what it looks like.

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I'm becoming a little uncomfortable with the deck chair metaphor.

On 11/28/2018 at 12:36 PM, King Knut said:

Murphy being gone really makes it sound like something big is coming.  WHy would Homer of all people who was just clear that he wouldn't change the coach as that would be the new GM's job.  Firing a single Asst. coach is just weird at this stage in the game.  Especially when it's not Lappy.  

I read through this topic and didn't see the answer as stated by Dave Issac in his article this morning which I found rather interesting.   As others on this topic stated that Murphy was indeed a Hextall hire, but what wasn't mentioned was that Murphy reported to Hextall and not the head coach which I'll bet led to a lot of disconnect in practice and in games.  We saw this on the ice much too often between the defense and forwards.   We probably will never learn the whole story here, but going forward it makes a lot more sense as to why Holmgren wants to give Hakstol the reins here to coach the "whole" team.

19 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I read through this topic and didn't see the answer as stated by Dave Issac in his article this morning which I found rather interesting.   As others on this topic stated that Murphy was indeed a Hextall hire, but what wasn't mentioned was that Murphy reported to Hextall and not the head coach which I'll bet led to a lot of disconnect in practice and in games.  We saw this on the ice much too often between the defense and forwards.   We probably will never learn the whole story here, but going forward it makes a lot more sense as to why Holmgren wants to give Hakstol the reins here to coach the "whole" team.

Hak mentioned something along the lines that he suggested it and then turned around and said what a great guy Murphy was a yahdah yahdah and basically wanted him gone which I agree was a good move because these D men have regressed and that is on their coach.

I wish I could find the article.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:33 PM, ruxpin said:

Well speaking of a trade it got me to thinking about the Blues too who are struggling.

Now let me preface this by there is no rumor of sort I am just thinking aloud.

If you were to trade Simmer to them who would you want as part of the package?

Ivan Babashev?

Or Robert Thomas coming back?

Slow day why not right?

Archived