Moves Starting?

vis

Personally, the Flyers need to keep away from long term deals right now. I like that Fletcher wants to see if the replacements can come from within the organization first before dealing. 

As for a trade for Jonathan Quick, I hope Fletcher avoids it like the plague. The injuries, the age, the amount of games played, it's going to catch up and I think we're seeing him on the downside now. 

I say ride out Stolarz to see what happens. Let Elliott work his way back to health and then re-assess the goaltending at the end of the year. I know the Flyers are expecting more, but the best course of action is to do nothing drastic until the season is over. Go into the off season with a boat load of money (there's going to be some big contracts coming off the books), lots of prospects and picks to work with. There's no need to deal a 20 year old for a 30 year old, but you could certainly deal a 20 year old for a 25/26 year old. More important, I think Fletcher should let teams come to him and not him chase teams. 

The good news is that it's not going to be an ugly and complicated fix. If Fletcher does the thinkable and fires Hakstol, getting a legit coach and coaching staff will be the biggest boon to this club.

On a side note, I love the Rick Wilson hiring. If there's one guy that can straighten out the defense and PK, it's him. Just that move alone should help Provorov and Gostisbehere get back on track and really elevate Sanheim to another level. I'm hoping that he'll be able to work with Myers and Friedman as well.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes the 1st two years of that he could be useful to help teach Hart then hopefully the last two he could be a nice backup yeah sort of expensive i know that no argument there but they should have some decent cap space by then with all these kids coming in on entry level small bridge deals.

No thanks. Missed 59 games last year to injury, missed a bunch of games this year when he was injured from the get-go. Was injured in the seasons before too.

Have we not learned from Elliott and Neuvirth? 

The last thing I want is another injury-prone goalie under contract for FOUR MORE YEARS.

In all honesty and *depending on how the year goes*, I would go with Stolarz as starter if he can steal it, and re-sign Elliott as backup for one or two years. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I say ride out Stolarz to see what happens. Let Elliott work his way back to health and then re-assess the goaltending at the end of the year.

he best course of action is to do nothing drastic until the season is over.

I think Fletcher should let teams come to him and not him chase teams. 

All due respect @BobbyClarkeFan16, but nothing in the rhetoric from Flyers brass like Scott or Fletcher's comments or past actions suggest this type of restraint will be shown. I hope you're right and the only move he makes his find a new coach. But no coach can solve our goaltending problems which have gone from tragic to pathetic to laughable. Isn't it naive to think that Fletcher won't go find a goalie? And when he does go looking,  every GM will know he is desperate. Isn't it naive to think that he won't get scorched?

32 minutes ago, brelic said:

In all honesty and *depending on how the year goes*, I would go with Stolarz as starter if he can steal it, and re-sign Elliott as backup for one or two years. 

Does this count as "fixing" the goalie position - which by all accounts is a directive from above to the GM?

Because, I mean, that worked out so well last time.

image.png

Why you heff be so mad?

I'm on board with the concept, but it remains to be seen whether The Powers That Be in the Organization feel the same way.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Does this count as "fixing" the goalie position - which by all accounts is a directive from above to the GM?

If 'fixing' = better, then I'd say yes. 

But I agree with you that they seem to have their purse strings set on spending up to the cap. I've seen it and heard it way too many times over the past week to truly believe they will use honest and sound judgment over a free license to spend spend spend. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

If 'fixing' = better, then I'd say yes.  

I would agree with you. And I'm pleased that Fletcher has said he will look inside the organization for fixes before he goes outside.

But those same options were available to his predecessor and it seems that The Powers That Be didn't think that there was a good enough "fix" inside the organization (aside from, perhaps, Hart, but that's still A Few Years Away or something).

I find us perilously close to the 2011 mandate to get a legit #1 starter in here, dammit!

image.png

46 minutes ago, brelic said:

No thanks. Missed 59 games last year to injury, missed a bunch of games this year when he was injured from the get-go. Was injured in the seasons before too.

Have we not learned from Elliott and Neuvirth? 

The last thing I want is another injury-prone goalie under contract for FOUR MORE YEARS.

Fair enough.

If he was on a shorter deal i would be down with this without doubt regardless of the past knee injury because he isn't injury prone.

But 5.8mill for a 37 year old does scare me.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

But I agree with you that they seem to have their purse strings set on spending up to the cap

I'm cool with that too if it's for the right players at the right length of a deal...

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

All due respect @BobbyClarkeFan16, but nothing in the rhetoric from Flyers brass like Scott or Fletcher's comments or past actions suggest this type of restraint will be shown. I hope you're right and the only move he makes his find a new coach. But no coach can solve our goaltending problems which have gone from tragic to pathetic to laughable. Isn't it naive to think that Fletcher won't go find a goalie? And when he does go looking,  every GM will know he is desperate. Isn't it naive to think that he won't get scorched?

I get it. At the same time, I think the last thing Fletcher is going to do is scorch the earth to find a goaltender. I expect that he's going to rely on his scouts and his personnel people first. I also think Flyers upper management is going to be hands off in terms of letting him find his footing. As mentioned, usually when a GM takes over during the season, the last thing they're doing is blowing everything up or moving the heavens and earths just to establish themselves. I expect that Fletcher will be calculating in his moves and I expect that he's not going to mortgage away the future of this club just to find a goalie. I'm also thinking if Stolarz really gets on a roll (and it's looking like he's getting himself there), then that might cool off the goaltending talks.

I know others pointed to Bryzgalov, but that was an Ed Snider ultimatum. Even Snider admitted that and pretty much negotiated that contract. I still think Holmgren was burnt by that and the last thing he's going to do is step on anyone's toes. As long as Fletcher keeps the lines of communication open with Holmgren and Scott, they'll stay off his back. 

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I get it. At the same time, I think the last thing Fletcher is going to do is scorch the earth to find a goaltender. I expect that he's going to rely on his scouts and his personnel people first. I also think Flyers upper management is going to be hands off in terms of letting him find his footing. As mentioned, usually when a GM takes over during the season, the last thing they're doing is blowing everything up or moving the heavens and earths just to establish themselves. I expect that Fletcher will be calculating in his moves and I expect that he's not going to mortgage away the future of this club just to find a goalie. I'm also thinking if Stolarz really gets on a roll (and it's looking like he's getting himself there), then that might cool off the goaltending talks.

I know others pointed to Bryzgalov, but that was an Ed Snider ultimatum. Even Snider admitted that and pretty much negotiated that contract. I still think Holmgren was burnt by that and the last thing he's going to do is step on anyone's toes. As long as Fletcher keeps the lines of communication open with Holmgren and Scott, they'll stay off his back. 

Oh how I hope you are correct.  Stolarz really is the wild card in all of this. What an opportunity for him. 

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Stolarz really is the wild card in all of this.

He is the wild card in all this. I know he knows this he went from being the forgotten man to maybe having a chance to be the saving grace for the club. 

He is literally playing for his next contract.

He plays well he can at least steal a chance at a spot for next year no less. Lyon is already under contract for next year.

He doesn't take this an run with it could be on the outside looking in this offseason and looking for a job somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is the wild card in all this. I know he knows this he went from being the forgotten man to maybe having a chance to be the saving grace for the club. 

He is literally playing for his next contract.

He plays well he can at least steal a chance at a spot for next year no less. Lyon is already under contract for next year.

He doesn't take this an run with it could be on the outside looking in this offseason and looking for a job somewhere else.

That's a lot of pressure when you put it that way!

I just hope he doesn't own a Porsche.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

That's a lot of pressure when you put it that way!

Oh no doubt it has to be.

But he has fought the good fight to battle back from his injury/surgery not playing last year except one AHL game and 3 ECHL games last year. 

To having no spot on the Phantoms before the injuries to starting role on the Flyers.

That has to be amazing. I think he takes this and runs with it.

I hope he plays well and puts Elliott on the bench.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Not even a morsel? I'd settle for a morsel.

Should I find some new material?

Pro Tip: Avoid jokes about Porsches, Pelle Lindbergh, Hitler and The Holocaust. Those types of things. MIGHT not be popular.

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Pro Tip: Avoid jokes about Porsches, Pelle Lindbergh, Hitler and The Holocaust. Those types of things. MIGHT not be popular.

Ok thanks.

(Tries  out: "Hitler and Lindbergh walk into a bar in Auschwitz...)

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So would you be willing to part with something for a guy who is younger and is closer to being NHL ready??

Like Oscar Dansk?

You think they would trade Dansk?

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Our first trade will be Sanheim, Frost, and a 2nd for Luongo. 

Who will immediately get a 5 year extension for $32M.

Yeah true. And that's the *injured* Luongo price.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So would you be willing to part with something for a guy who is younger and is closer to being NHL ready??

Like Oscar Dansk?

Sure. If there’s a good deal out there for a promising guy that is younger (mid to late 20s) and is maybe stuck in a bad situation, that could make sense. Get a guy on the rise but also ahead of his development compared to our guys. Gives them the time they need while hopefully giving the big club some stability and good to pretty good goaltending. 

Someone like a Stolarz actually. And he has a great opportunity right now to show us if he can be that guy. Man, I really want him to seize it. 

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

Sure. If there’s a good deal out there for a promising guy that is younger (mid to late 20s) and is maybe stuck in a bad situation, that could make sense. Get a guy on the rise but also ahead of his development compared to our guys. Gives them the time they need while hopefully giving the big club some stability and good to pretty good goaltending. 

Someone like a Stolarz actually. And he has a great opportunity right now to show us if he can be that guy. Man, I really want him to seize it. 

He's not in a bad situation he is 24 and has MAF and Subban blocking him.

So I was just thinking what if you offered them Sandstrom it would give them something for a guy who has no where to go to play up.

For a guy who would come over and need a two or three years to develop while MAF contract plays out and opening a room for him in a few years.

I don't know just thinking aloud how to fix the goalie problem that is happening.

Archived