The Best Stickhandling Skills

Alexandron

I recently watched a 12 min. video on YouTube (almost 1 million views) about the King of Stickhandling - Pavel Datsyuk. And it came to a question after. Who is among our Wild team players having the best stickhandling skills and who is for the all current players in NHL? I will not say yet for our team, but among current NHL players, I think McDavid has the best stickhandling skills.

Here is a video to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHxlzJPevxQ

In my opinion, for our team is Mikael Granlund. I still remember, how, about 4-5 years ago, he upset the Russian team when he carried the puck on a stick and put it into their net. Those are the high skills of doing that.

Awesome video! Loved Datsyuk--he was a fantastic player with the best hands and body control I've ever seen. The sheer number of his highlights is unbelievable. It amazes me how much time the puck is not on his stick(but still moving with him) while making some of these moves, especially splitting defenders.

IMO the closest currently in the NHL is Crosby.

15 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Awesome video! Loved Datsyuk--he was a fantastic player with the best hands and body control I've ever seen. The sheer number of his highlights is unbelievable. It amazes me how much time the puck is not on his stick(but still moving with him) while making some of these moves, especially splitting defenders.

IMO the closest currently in the NHL is Crosby.

I agree Sidney Crosby easily fits into this magic level too , but at this moment, I like Connor McDavid slightly more.😊

Regarding Pavel Datsyuk, personally for me, I think he was a MAGICIAN in hockey who was capable to control the mind first of all, the body language, the hands, the hockey stick and the puck at the same time. Not every player capable to control that so magically, like kind of to hypnotize the puck with the mind. This is why we had the feeling that the puck is moving with him but not on his stick. I do not think anyone ever did as he did it in a past. 

Probably Granlund in the Wild although it's kind of odd not to see him participate in the shootouts. Dumba could be a close second, I'd even throw Spurgie there ahead of many forwards.

Speaking of which, Florida's Barkov seems to have 10 different moves in the shootouts and his hands are fast as hell.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, ruxpin said:

Oh, I thought this thread was about something else entirely.   I'll just be moving along.  :searching:

This is my first and maybe the last one thread which I started in 18 years, and you are moving out of it passively without any emotions?🤐 Who do you think has the best stickhandling skills for your preferred teams (in Flyers as well as in a Jets team)?:thinking: For our team we found so far Glanlund , Dumba and Spurgeon. The other members of the big club still need a progressive improvement, especially Suter and Seeler after the last game against of Toronto. 🤭As better stickhandling skills the team has as more solid it looks in general, especially for defense.

36 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

This is my first and maybe the last one thread which I started in 18 years, and you are moving out of it passively without any emotions?🤐 Who do you think has the best stickhandling skills for your preferred teams (in Flyers as well as in a Jets team)?:thinking: For our team we found so far Glanlund , Dumba and Spurgeon. The other members of the big club still need a progressive improvement, especially Suter and Seeler after the last game against of Toronto. 🤭As better stickhandling skills the team has as more solid it looks in general, especially for defense.

It was a joke. Referencing an entirely different kind of stickhandling. Just a joke. 

I have no real opinion on the actual subject,. I guess it's a fair question but in today's game really isn't high on my list of priorities.  Maybe Giroux or Ghost, although I think Voracek seems to think he's the best ever. 

• 1 month later...

Oh, my content will need to be approved by a moderator. Well THATS something new on a Wild message board. 

Datsyuk should be the player every parent encourages his kid to emulate. He was juggling the puck around, popping it in crazy little ways, in warm ups before that became a thing. He does everything extraordinarily well, and at top speed. Review the clip where he baits Weber in for the reverse check -that’s uncanny presence and command of time and space. If you hit Datsyuk, he’d embarrass you. He could fend off Chara in the corner. His edgework and deception were before their time. His defense was larcenous. 

Yeah... Granlund. He can stickhandle.

Some would say Kane, by I might argue Giroux beats him at his game. For me Crosby is the best though. He’s the one who best integrates it with edgework in the style of Datsyuk. For me, Karlsson’s dekes are the most satisfying to watch though: keeps it simple. 

@Bardonshky

Content is only moderator approved for the first several posts...after that, you can post as normal.
We do this to keep spam/troll/advert content to a minimum.

Welcome to our boards, hope you enjoy yourself here.

And yes, you can't go wrong with Pavel Datsyuk as a role model for how you should learn to stick handle!

Archived