Nylander Signs

hobie

6 years at $6.9 mil. per for cap calculation for years 2 thru 6, he will count as $10.2 mil against the cap this year.

Glad it's over because we know the sports channels would be talking about this ad nauseam until he was either signed or traded.

I'm also glad because I think he's a good player and TO needs as many as possible.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think Nylander will be a help this season, but I do believe he will be the first to go when they need to sign Matthews and Marner long term.

Why?  You don't think the Leafs have the money?  They could sell out 3 arenas every night within the Toronto, Hamilton, Buffalo area

42 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think Nylander will be a help this season, but I do believe he will be the first to go when they need to sign Matthews and Marner long term.

You must be aware there's a salary cap. 

I fully expect them to move him this summer. It's a very moveable contract, so go for it this year, resign your guys, trade Nylander and plug in cheaper. 

There's other ways to free up money, moving a 23 year old, who's true potential is yet to be realized, to become cap compliant seems dum.

Matthews

Marner

Tavares

Nylander

Rielly

Gardiner

Andersen

These are TO's core and I expect Dubie to do his best to build a team around them, pay them reasonably and proceed from there. Build the team around the core.

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

You must be aware there's a salary cap. 

I fully expect them to move him this summer. It's a very moveable contract, so go for it this year, resign your guys, trade Nylander and plug in cheaper. 

Salary cap will be Dubas' biggest nightmare very soon, yes. I don't know if they'll move WN but someone obviously. They need to sign before the next season Matthews, Marner, Gardiner, Kapanen. A lot of high-end talents, scored goals and points. Many of them wanting a long term contract. Just like WN. And how much cap space is there available? Add to that Hainsey, an aging but a very good D-man. Toronto will for sure lose 1-2 key players.

Dubas made a strategic choice in signing WN. Might be good, we'll see. I don't think so though I'm no salary cap expert.

1 hour ago, hobie said:

There's other ways to free up money, moving a 23 year old, who's true potential is yet to be realized, to become cap compliant seems dum.

Matthews

Marner

Tavares

Nylander

Rielly

Gardiner

Andersen

These are TO's core and I expect Dubie to do his best to build a team around them, pay them reasonably and proceed from there. Build the team around the core.

With the way they're playing I can't see how Dubas can pay them "reasonably". Matthews is a superstar, Marner is better than WN, another 1st round pick Kapanen having a very strong season, Gardiner probably sees himself worth more than the current $4 mil. a year, Tavares has a NMC so that $11 mil. a year contract isn't going anywhere.

Matthews, Marner, Gardiner combined will probably cost you closer to $25 mil. a year. Does that leave any space for Kapanen? Will you acquire a decent #2 goalie? If you don't re-sign Hainsey those are pretty big skates to fill and it won't be cheap.

Hobie, what other ways do you have to free up money? Get rid of Marleau?

7 hours ago, hobie said:

Matthews

Marner

Tavares

Nylander

Rielly

Gardiner

Andersen

Let me do some quick math here:

Matthews  is going to make more than Nylander $6.963M and less than Tavares $11M

Marner  is going to make at least $6.9M

Tavares  $11M

Nylander  $6.963M

Rielly   $5M

Gardiner  a UFA  will make more than $ 5M if signed

Andersen  $5M

For an estimate,  I expect this group next year will make at least a combined $50M  which leaves about $30K if the cap increases to sign the other 16 players.  3 of those players, Marleau, Kadri and Zaitsev make $15.25M which then leaves 13 players making an average of $1.13M.  That's going to be tough.

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

Especially when Marner insist on no less that Eichel money there will be problems ahead.

Kapanen and Gardnier to need a contract.

Fire sale will come.

Chicago had the same type of problems after their first Cup so they moved out some pretty good players and even then managed to win 2 more Cups. How, they kept their core and paid them properly.

Buyout candidate Marleau, overpaid players Brown, Hy and Zaitsev so the money is there. These are good players but replaceable and replaceables should always be paid as such.

TO's Marlies won the AHL Cup last year so there are quality players waiting for their chance to shine.

I've never had a problem with the idea that TO pay players what they're worth and it's now more than ever that TO needs to observe the restrictions of the cap, not overpay..

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

Matthews  is going to make more than Nylander $6.963M and less than Tavares $11M

Tavares  $11M

Nylander  $6.963M

Rielly   $5M

Andersen  $5M

For an estimate,  I expect this group next year will make at least a combined $50M  which leaves about $30K if the cap increases to sign the other 16 players.  3 of those players, Marleau, Kadri and Zaitsev make $15.25M which then leaves 13 players making an average of $1.13M.  That's going to be tough.

So you think they best win the Cup this year?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2018 at 6:03 PM, FD19372 said:

I think that THEY think they'd better win the Cup this year.

It's sad to say but the "window" is indeed closing rapidly on Toronto.  If they can't keep the current group together moving forward, then they won't be a legitimate contender. It's not enough to have Matthews and Marner under contract. They need everybody they have now and they (arguably) need to flip one of their forwards for defensive help to put them over the top.  They're still in the building phase in terms of winning a Cup and we're already looking at the possibility of the team being torn apart. 

With two more teams in the NHL now (Las Vegas and Seattle), every NHL team gets weaker -- losing a player off their roster to each of the expansion teams. It's almost to the point now where the only way you can build a Stanley Cup winner is to luck out on entry level contracts to players who become superstars early (trapping them into long term, low paying contracts) and then luck your way into a few Cup wins before the contracts come due and you have to blow the whole thing up. 

If every player gets paid what they're worth according to market value, then all 32 teams in the NHL will be completely even in strength and every season will come down to luck on who wins because top players will be scattered evenly across all NHL teams. 

On 12/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, hf101 said:

Tavares  $11M

Nylander  $6.963M

Rielly   $5M

Andersen  $5M

I think (when it happens to Toronto) this may finally open the conversation about the NHL's current economic system and how it can be "tweaked" to allow rich teams to spend more money.  There has to be some angry NHL owners out there. They can't possibly be united on this issue. 

It doesn't need to be anything radical. Just widen the GAP between the ceiling and the floor. If the NHL were a house, it would be built for Hobbits. Let's create some room so that teams can stop "bumping their head" on the low ceiling. 

I know I know.... I'll zip it.   :bonkingheadonwall:

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I think (when it happens to Toronto) this may finally open the conversation about the NHL's current economic system and how it can be "tweaked" to allow rich teams to spend more money.  There has to be some angry NHL owners out there. They can't possibly be united on this issue. 

It doesn't need to be anything radical. Just widen the GAP between the ceiling and the floor. If the NHL were a house, it would be built for Hobbits. Let's create some room so that teams can stop "bumping their head" on the low ceiling. 

I know I know.... I'll zip it.   :bonkingheadonwall:

I hate to go there, but this is just the most Toronto thing to say.    lol...

We've never heard a peep of complaint from ownership about the cap. To the contrary, the NHL burned down the crops and salted the earth, via lockout, in order to get the players to give in to a cap. But now that Toronto will feel the cap crunch, well then NOWWWWWWWWWW the cracks in the foundation will break open, releasing all of the pent-up hate for the cap.

I'm sure that some talking heads on the Tavares Sports Network will make some noise, but in the other 31 markets it will be crickets. Nobody told Dubas to sign UFAs before making sure that he had enough to cover the bills that were coming up.

39 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I hate to go there, but this is just the most Toronto thing to say.    lol...

Well let's look at the figures:

Jun 21, 2018 - The NHL salary cap will be $79.5 million with a salary floor of $58.8 million for the 2018-19 season the league announced on Thursday.

That's a difference of 79.5 - 58.8 = 20.7 million between the TOP and the BOTTOM. 

Also, if you consider that teams leave room (don't spend to the cap) in order to possibly add to their roster at the deadline, the gap is even less than that. 

Just how much is $20.7 million dollars in hockey terms and what does that buy you? Well, it's a difference of two good players basically. A difference of only TWO players on a roster of 20... between TOP (#1) and BOTTOM (#31). The gap is so narrow you can't slide a sheet of paper through it.

Would it break the NHL to have a salary cap of $100 million dollars?  Would the players object to being paid more? Would owners object to being able to sustain a championship calibre team for more than two years and cash in on more playoff revenue? 

50 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

We've never heard a peep of complaint from ownership about the cap. To the contrary, the NHL burned down the crops and salted the earth, via lockout, in order to get the players to give in to a cap. But now that Toronto will feel the cap crunch, well then NOWWWWWWWWWW the cracks in the foundation will break open, releasing all of the pent-up hate for the cap.

I think it's different in Toronto. Toronto is in a unique situation. They're the Chicago Cubs of the NHL... before the Cubs recent World Series win. What kind of roster did the Cubs have recently? Were they neutered, or could they spend money? Telling Toronto fans that after 50 years of futility and 50 years of having the highest ticket prices in the NHL that there won't be any payoff now that the team is good is the kind of thing that brings people with torches and pitchforks to the NHL head office. 

I remember when the Rangers won in 1994.... ending the (then) longest drought going. They were a STACKED team. They had it all. They made sure it was going to be a victory in 1994. Ditto for Detroit in 1997 and 1998. They were "un-neutered". I think Toronto fans want to see the same thing.  Now that it's "our turn" (potentially) we want to be the 120 point team in the NHL that blows everyone else out of the water. We want to be the team that is three lines deep with superstar power everywhere. The team that everyone else fears.

I really hate the fact that Toronto is in a similar position to the Rangers in 1994 or the Red Wings of 1997/98 and now we can't put ourselves over the top in the same way that those teams did because of artificial limitations on spending. This is the ONE time where it actually makes sense for the Leafs to spend more and now they can't.  :(

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm sure that some talking heads on the Tavares Sports Network will make some noise, but in the other 31 markets it will be crickets. Nobody told Dubas to sign UFAs before making sure that he had enough to cover the bills that were coming up.

Plus, I don't see why other markets would be opposed to it. If you keep the floor where it is, nobody else is harmed by raising the cap. How many teams actually operate at the salary floor (Arizona) and how many of those teams are always at the salary floor because they can't afford to spend more money anyway?  It doesn't matter where you set the cap if some teams are always at the minimum anyway. 

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Well let's look at the figures:

Jun 21, 2018 - The NHL salary cap will be $79.5 million with a salary floor of $58.8 million for the 2018-19 season the league announced on Thursday.

That's a difference of 79.5 - 58.8 = 20.7 million between the TOP and the BOTTOM. 

Also, if you consider that teams leave room (don't spend to the cap) in order to possibly add to their roster at the deadline, the gap is even less than that. 

Just how much is $20.7 million dollars in hockey terms and what does that buy you? Well, it's a difference of two good players basically. A difference of only TWO players on a roster of 20... between TOP (#1) and BOTTOM (#31). The gap is so narrow you can't slide a sheet of paper through it.

Would it break the NHL to have a salary cap of $100 million dollars?  Would the players object to being paid more? Would owners object to being able to sustain a championship calibre team for more than two years and cash in on more playoff revenue? 

You've described what's in it for the Leafs, and not the 31 other owners in the NHL.

I think it's different in Toronto. Toronto is in a unique situation. They're the Chicago Cubs of the NHL... before the Cubs recent World Series win. What kind of roster did the Cubs have recently? Were they neutered, or could they spend money? Telling Toronto fans that after 50 years of futility and 50 years of having the highest ticket prices in the NHL that there won't be any payoff now that the team is good is the kind of thing that brings people with torches and pitchforks to the NHL head office. 

Every year, one team wins the Stanley Cup, and without having to exceed the salary cap. Tell me again how the Leafs are singularly punished by the rules which apply to all teams?

I remember when the Rangers won in 1994.... ending the (then) longest drought going. They were a STACKED team. They had it all. They made sure it was going to be a victory in 1994. Ditto for Detroit in 1997 and 1998. They were "un-neutered". I think Toronto fans want to see the same thing.  Now that it's "our turn" (potentially) we want to be the 120 point team in the NHL that blows everyone else out of the water. We want to be the team that is three lines deep with superstar power everywhere. The team that everyone else fears.

It's been Toronto's turn every single year, just like it is for every other team in the league. Just because they haven't gotten it done for 50 means less than nothing. The cap hasn't hurt the Caps, Lightning, Preds, etc, from getting to the 120-point mark, so why would it stop the Leafs?

On 12/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Yes if we could get rid of the cap.  

Tyler Ennis has really been a good player for you guys.  Raised and molded in Buffalo during the days of Miller and Vanek, he was good early on in his career for us.  He is a seasoned vet now.  That is what always happens to us. But I am hoping we can hang on to the key guys on this team for years.  

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

You've described what's in it for the Leafs, and not the 31 other owners in the NHL.

What's in it for the owners is...

• greater payroll flexibility
  • ease of player movement / ability to make trades again
  • ability to keep championship teams together longer

Even a "poor" NHL franchise can afford to go over-budget for a few years if it means winning some Stanley Cups. You suffer through the lean years with a reduced payroll so that you can spend when the opportunity presents itself.

Every year, one team wins the Stanley Cup, and without having to exceed the salary cap. Tell me again how the Leafs are singularly punished by the rules which apply to all teams?

The Leafs are punished because fans in Toronto pay much higher ticket prices. It would be like paying for a "platinum" seat and then being forced to sit up in the nosebleeds. If you pay more for something, you deserve better.

It's been Toronto's turn every single year, just like it is for every other team in the league. Just because they haven't gotten it done for 50 means less than nothing. The cap hasn't hurt the Caps, Lightning, Preds, etc, from getting to the 120-point mark, so why would it stop the Leafs?

Just get on board. My movement needs support!  😁

It starts with a forum thread and then hopefully a Hot Stove discussion on CBC's HNIC. (And then hopefully a massive wave of support which forces a change.)

4 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Tyler Ennis has really been a good player for you guys.  Raised and molded in Buffalo during the days of Miller and Vanek, he was good early on in his career for us.  He is a seasoned vet now.  That is what always happens to us. But I am hoping we can hang on to the key guys on this team for years.  

Hey HJ. Would you support a higher salary cap?  🙂

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Hey HJ. Would you support a higher salary cap?  🙂

Well now that Pegula is running the ship, let the sky be the limit.  Of course.  But is it really fair?  It has worked against us for decades. Now that we have an owner with deep pockets that has promised this town multiple Cups, HELL YES.    Pegula is not going to let guys like Skinner or Jack Eichel walk.  After Wieters and Machado walked from my Orioles, my wife is dead against me buying another jersey with a name even though yesterday to raise money for charity, Jack Eichel signed a bunch of jerseys and I would buy one in a minute if I could. He is going no where. And they were priced very decently.  Usually an authentic is around $270.  $202 with Eichels own signature is a steal and they had replica's for $157 or so? I am sure they are gone.  I feel like the kid in Christmas Story when the teacher gave him a C+.  They will shoot my eye out.   No Eichel jersey for me.YES, I would raise the cap, but ten years from now I might kick myself for saying that.

Archived