Seattle expansion tops Board of Governors agenda

wild.source

Meeting, starting Monday, could see NHL add 32nd team

NEW YORK -- The NHL Board of Governors is scheduled to vote on the Seattle expansion application Tuesday, the second of its two days of meetings in Sea Island, Georgia.

Twenty-four of the 31 NHL teams need to vote "Yes" for Seattle to become the 32nd team. If so, the NHL is expected to make an announcement immediately following the vote.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said the expansion process has gone according to plan.

Here is the rest of the article if you want to read it: https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-expansion-topic-on-agenda-for-board-of-governors/c-302503152

2 hours ago, DevinWieser said:

You meant 2021-22 season right? And the whispers of the Coyotes moving keep getting louder and louder, the team is having financial problems.

looks like the Coyotes are moving to the central division from what I just heard.

5 hours ago, bbgarnett said:

looks like the Coyotes are moving to the central division from what I just heard.

Means the Coyotes best be ready to compete by then because the Central division is a rough place to be floundering!

I find it interesting though.....
Arizona being moved to the Central means every division would then have 8 teams.

Coincidence that Kansas City has wanted an NHL team and VOILA..... there is Arizona in the Central...possibly moved to KC (who would be naturally in Central time).
Then back East, you have the attendance struggling Florida Panthers and what with Quebec City still jonesing for an NHL team....would it be out of the realm of possibility that the Panthers get moved there? And they wouldn't even have to switch divisions or anything.... Florida/Quebec would already be there with Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, etc...

The NHL may be done expanding for awhile after Seattle, but that DOESN'T mean they are done shuffling franchises around.
We will see.

In the meantime, I welcome Seattle to the NHL family. 
My husband and I have considered moving to the West Coast of the US and Seattle would be one of our choices ( Portland, OR would be another), and I jokingly told him if we DID move to Seattle, I would need to start drinking heavily to deal with the saturation of Vancouver Canucks news...  :biggrin: 

Nice to know that if we ever did get out that way, I'd have a nice new Seattle franchise to perhaps be my third string team and can root HEAVILY against those darned Canucks.  :shifty:

Well, for those wondering, it appears that Seattle will receive the SAME ruleset for expansion drafting as the Vegas Golden Knights did.
For reference here is a link to NHL dot com so that you can re-familiarize yourself with the Vegas rules....cuz yer gonna see them again.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

But for a quick snapshot, here is what the established teams need to understand regarding whom they can protect....again, just like last go round.
29555887_expansionrules.jpg.fc2867e1ffd5345bce1ce5a95e033c90.jpg

The kicker though, is that Vegas will be EXEMPT from this draft!!
That's right...I am guessing the NHL would be deeming it too soon for Vegas to have players plucked from their roster...although given how strong the team is, I don't see how they can be treated with the usual "expansion kid gloves".... not like they have a team full of 4th liners and back up goalies......

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

DtltH5tX4AAIDXR.jpg

So this could be fun...I liked the las vegas golden showers team name  this forum came up with...

I am pretty okay with this color scheme..it's very "now".  I think a nod to the indigenous people's art from the region is cool and decent from a pr perspective.

I think the name is stupid. That said I love the sock-eye shoulder patch...

I guy on twitter wants to call them the Barristas and have them spell the visiting team's names wrong...pretty funny. I can't find the link but I laughed.

the Jets are taken, the Grunge ? not timeless enough, same with anything affiliated with any of the corporate entities out there, the Grinders(starbucks)...the Boots (nordstroms) ? 

The Sounders has been taken. The super sonics...I don't think the NBA gives that up.

@TropicalFruitGirl26 has been in there with the Kraken...lots of promotional tie-ins with the rum. The Pilots isn't bad either.

I'm hoping we approach the awesomeness that was the 

LV Black Aces- LV Golden Showers LV Snake Eyes...

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Could Dave Tippett bring Ron Hextall in as their new GM to lead the way??

Not sure if they would want to touch him once the story about Hextall makes it's round...if it's true that is.

Based on Hextall's track record of trying to undo much of "Homer's" disastrous work, I think he may actually make a FANTASTIC GM for the Seattle WhateverTheyGonnaCallThemselves.

Think about it.... 
Hextall was trying to preach patience in a market with not only fans who want to win NOW, but with a boss above him who, from the sounds of it, really didn't want to let Hextall call the shots.

Imagine if you will, Ron Hextall, being given complete reign to take a brand spankin new team in front of a brand new NHL fanbase (not new hockey fanbase, as I understand the people there should know hockey at other levels pretty well), with a bunch of fresh picks in the draft, not to mention an albatross-free player contract environment (unless he creates some of those himself!), AND a competitive team right out of the gate because the rules for Vegas where the team would get good players to start with will apply to Seattle as well!

I think the man could really realize the plan he started in Philadelphia.

Granted, all this is neither here nor there, because the Seattle group could already have someone in mind, but unless Hextall is vehemently opposed to relocating his family to the West Coast, if he is available, and if it turns out he really was the victim of Holmgren's narcissistic impatience, then I think he might fit perfectly with that new franchise.

34 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Think about it.... 

So i have a question who is guy who is standing to the left of Bettman?? Guy looks like he crawled out of a garbage can??

DtlsmdgWsAEVDgI.jpg

Like a bum they slapped in a suit...

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So i have a question who is guy who is standing to the left of Bettman?? Guy looks like he crawled out of a garbage can??

DtlsmdgWsAEVDgI.jpg

Like a bum they slapped in a suit...

Good question...
I don't know....but I SHOULD know because he was being interviewed the other day but I was distracted by kiddies screaming in the house.  😄

I think he was a former player....would explain his hair...… probably still like that from a hit he took back in 1995....

Archived