Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
vis

Chuck Fletcher it is...

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, Mad Dog said:

Hard to get excited about this.  Fletch has never built an elite team.  People don't change... usually.  To me, this is a clear massage from the Flyers: we are content with just being a mediocre NHL team.  Sorry, but I don't see this any other way.

How is bringing in a new GM an indication of complacency???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sweetshot said:

How is bringing in a new GM an indication of complacency???

Where did he say anything about complacency? 

Bringing in a gm that will sell his soul to make the playoffs only to lose in the first round or an occasional serving round only to placate the blind food bar addicts is a return to the same myopic groundhog day we've suffered through for 40 years.

Rather than go through the pain of a full rebuild and have the patience to see the garden grow now that the seeds are planted. 

We are content with the short term gratification and delusion that is forever chasing rainbows. It is the very definition of "content with mediocrity." 

Which is what he said. Different from simply, "complacency."  

Edited by ruxpin

What Hextall tried to taketh away Fletch gives...  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

What Hextall tried to taketh away Fletch gives...  

Hey they deserve it.

Seems like Hextall's way wasn't working any way.

The boys-brew-wings the way it was meant to be!

Bring on the Jets!

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Where did he say anything about complacency? 

Bringing in a gm that will sell his soul to make the playoffs only to lose in the first round or an occasional serving round only to placate the blind food bar addicts is a return to the same myopic groundhog day we've suffered through for 40 years.

Rather than go through the pain of a full rebuild and have the patience to see the garden grow now that the seeds are planted. 

We are content with the short term gratification and delusion that is forever chasing rainbows. It is the very definition of "content with mediocrity." 

Which is what he said. Different from simply, "complacency."  

IMO the Flyers are mediocre now--my point was keeping the status quo would to me show complacency. Being content with mediocrity is complacency isn't it?

They may or may not have been on their way to rising above mediocrity under Hextall. They may or may not be under Fletcher. I don't see Comcast ownership accepting mediocrity.

I don't think that short term gratification and forever chasing rainbows is in any way being content with mediocrity. You may end up where you started, but it's done with the intent of putting a better product on the ice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sweetshot said:

IMO the Flyers are mediocre now--my point was keeping the status quo would to me show complacency. Being content with mediocrity is complacency isn't it?

They may or may not have been on their way to rising above mediocrity under Hextall. They may or may not be under Fletcher. I don't see Comcast ownership accepting mediocrity.

I don't think that short term gratification and forever chasing rainbows is in any way being content with mediocrity. You may end up where you started, but it's done with the intent of putting a better product on the ice.

I'm content with our disagreeing.  :)

But I think maddog (and me, for that matter) were talking about something entirely different...or I *thought* we were.

I'm changing to "thought" because I wholly disagree with the proposition that either Comcast or a significant portion of our fan base doesn't accept mediocrity.  So long as there is a round and/or maybe a second of the playoffs and they've made their money (because they've successfully deluded their myopic fan base), they're quite content.  The point of maddog's (IMO) accurate post.

If you think Comcast won't accept mediocrity, I would like to introduce you to their Xfinity customer service department.   

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not changing into a fan of Fletcher any time soon.

And I was obviously starting to clamour for Hextall to be fired because I thought he was failing to address certain obvious gaping holes in the team--the coaching staff among them.

But is it possible that an in-season change in GM is going to have way more positive an effect on the team than I ever thought it could--or even should for that matter?   If it does, I think it actually stands to prove what Holmgren and Scott were saying.  If he really was ruling with an iron fist--i.e., shadow coaching, have an inept guy on the staff just because he was a reliable spy, controlling diet, bed time, bowel schedules, etc.--maybe the team just loosening up and the coach being able to move people around or adjust approach as he sees fit could be a world of difference.

I know I'm writing after a 6-2 drubbing of the Bwhataload Sabres and that's clearly affecting the question, but it's astounding to me if a change makes a huge difference even before any move is made (there'd be some affect just from players playing better to prevent being the one moved, but still).

31 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And I was obviously starting to clamour for Hextall to be fired because I thought he was failing to address certain obvious gaping holes in the team--the coaching staff among them.

But is it possible that an in-season change in GM is going to have way more positive an effect on the team than I ever thought it could--or even should for that matter?   If it does, I think it actually stands to prove what Holmgren and Scott were saying.  If he really was ruling with an iron fist--i.e., shadow coaching, have an inept guy on the staff just because he was a reliable spy, controlling diet, bed time, bowel schedules, etc.--maybe the team just loosening up and the coach being able to move people around or adjust approach as he sees fit could be a world of difference.

I know I'm writing after a 6-2 drubbing of the Bwhataload Sabres and that's clearly affecting the question, but it's astounding to me if a change makes a huge difference even before any move is made (there'd be some affect just from players playing better to prevent being the one moved, but still).

Yeah too soon to tell. Interesting theory. I do think that the iron first stuff, if true, is a thing that can really screw up an organization to the point where it can't be healed. In which case Flyers' brass may have felt they simply had no choice.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

this is pretty much like last year when we were beating really good teams and we sucked in the playoffs, it's nothing new. i'll put it this way unless hak wins us a stanley cup, he's out the door because he wants his own guy, only reason he's still here is because he wants to go to the playoffs. they know what he is, he's not good enough, they want us to get a winning a record so when the new coach comes in, it will take the team to a new level.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I'm content with our disagreeing.  :)

But I think maddog (and me, for that matter) were talking about something entirely different...or I *thought* we were.

I'm changing to "thought" because I wholly disagree with the proposition that either Comcast or a significant portion of our fan base doesn't accept mediocrity.  So long as there is a round and/or maybe a second of the playoffs and they've made their money (because they've successfully deluded their myopic fan base), they're quite content.  The point of maddog's (IMO) accurate post.

If you think Comcast won't accept mediocrity, I would like to introduce you to their Xfinity customer service department.   

So you think the move to replace the GM was a means to ensure "mediocrity"? I'm not going to disagree with that. Almost a blueprint of what Liepold(the owner) and Fletcher did with the Wild.

I think the last time I called Comcast for technical help I ended up talking to somebody in Bangladesh!

• Haha 1

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but it is a decent interview.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hf101 said:

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but it is a decent interview.

I couldn't see it here at work can't access twitter here so don't know if this part of the interview or not but I like his mindset here...

“I think it’s so important that you call up the right guy,” said Fletcher, whose inconsistent team plays in Calgary against the Pacific Division-leading Flames on Wednesday. “By that, I mean if somebody is clearly the best player down there, it’s really important to reward that. You want a meritocracy, you want the players in Lehigh Valley to think, ‘Hey, if I play well, it doesn’t matter my age or what round I was picked in, I have a chance to get called up.’ I saw Phil play last week and he played really well. He’s had a great start to the season, and Scott couldn’t say enough good things about him to Dave, so for us, it was a very simple decision.”

...this was one thing that Hextall was reluctant to do is bring the best guys up even if it was a guy who was older yet had been in the AHL awhile.

I have seen enough of Weal to know there has to be a better option in LV than him.

Good to see Varone get rewarded and this send a positive message to the other kids down there that hey if I play well I might get called up.

I think Mark Friedman should be the next call up to see if he can inject something into this blueline.

Folin for whatever reason has fallen out of favor so try Friedman in place of Mcdud he is a solid all around defenseman and I think this is his last year of being waiver exempt. Give him a shot nothing to lose but another game but maybe he can help.

Friedman is also a solid PK guy too.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Can't help but think "things" are going to start happening soon.

For my money, any core group that doesn't include 6 is invalid. I would prefer to keep him over nearly everyone else on the roster, he should be untouchable. 

Watching him skate with the fast guys, use his reach, deke goalies, we haven't even really "seen" his shot, which is overwhelming...He's the best player on the blueline for this team, this year, and it isn't close. I don't care that 9 plays all the heavy minutes, he's struggling.  I find no fault 9's effort or abilities, I think 6's ceiling is higher. Keep those two for the core group.  

I also think move for a defenseman is coming. I hope it's a good young guy, think Drew Doughty...and it doesn't rip a hole through the line up.

Edited by mojo1917

I think the dangerous thing right now is that we are 4 points away from dead last in the NHL and the best odds for Hughes or Kakko.

We are also 4 points out of 3rd in the Metro and an automatic playoff spot. 

I don't envy Fletcher. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

4 points away from dead last in the NHL

Finally, some good news!

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Finally, some good news!

I thought maybe Holmgrens car ran into Fletchers at high speed.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:
8 hours ago, brelic said:

4 points away from dead last in the NHL

Finally, some good news!

image.png.218c3c9fe412bafdc899fdc3ac3d5c2d.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

image.png.218c3c9fe412bafdc899fdc3ac3d5c2d.png

Man oh man that would be an acceptable outcome to this season.

Patrick and Huges as the heir to the center throne...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man oh man that would be an acceptable outcome to this season.

Patrick and Huges as the heir to the center throne...

Would that outcome suddenly make Patrick moveable?  I'm not throwing him out of town or anything, but just wondering.

54 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Would that outcome suddenly make Patrick moveable?  I'm not throwing him out of town or anything, but just wondering.

I guess it could so what position would you move him for?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess it could so what position would you move him for?

You know, I was going to include a position in my initial post but ended up thinking "damned if I know."

Because we're talking at the draft (wouldn't do it before knowing how the ping pong balls fall, anyway). It seems silly to trade him away for picks, though maybe).  If we haven't figured out goalie, I guess some kind of package for Dubnyk. Or similar. 

The best move, probably, is to keep him. Because if he gets back on track, that would be great down the middle. 

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Trading him, and watching him blossom on another team....what could be more Philadelphia than that?

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

No.

Patrick stinks right now, but he's still a #2 overall pick and just 20 years old. 

Yes, it sucks that others in his draft year and adjacent to it are leaps ahead of him, but it's far too early to give up on him. 

The smarter move is to reduce his role to something more appropriate for where he is right now - like 3C.

I think the same is true of Provorov et al, btw. A true veteran top pairing defenseman would do wonders for our young corps. It will cost us, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

I would look for this new GM to possibly try and make a deal with the team he was with formerly.  That has been a trend like Botterill getting Sheary from Pittsburgh as an example.  So its the Wild right?  Lets get that Minny fan going with this post.  LOL.  Chuckie?  Yo Chuckie!  Who is good and expendable on your team?  Certainly you guys need to better yourselves also.  You cant win the West with your current roster.  No way..  Parise is untouchable right?  So who else is there?

1 hour ago, brelic said:

No.

Patrick stinks right now, but he's still a #2 overall pick and just 20 years old. 

Yes, it sucks that others in his draft year and adjacent to it are leaps ahead of him, but it's far too early to give up on him. 

The smarter move is to reduce his role to something more appropriate for where he is right now - like 3C.

I think the same is true of Provorov et al, btw. A true veteran top pairing defenseman would do wonders for our young corps. It will cost us, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

Are you sure? We could trade him for a slow, stupid overpaid defenseman. We'll get him back and pay through the nose for it in 8-10 years. 

Nah, never happen. Too crazy.