Chuck Fletcher it is...

vis

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I really really hope not.  

He's got cap room.  If it's me, I don't trade anyone but  Weal, Raffl, Lehtera, Weise, Mac, Folin, Neuvirth, Lyon and maybe Simmonds depending on how the team is looking and what his agent is asking for at the deadline.  

The fact of the matter is (and Hextall friggin' knew this) everything the Flyers need becomes available this summer (a year the Flyers just happen to have $32 million to spend.  If it's me, I target, Panarin, Gardiner, Varlamov or maybe Duchene (we still need a 2C/3C) and Nilssen (if you can't get Varlamov) are UFA's to target this summer.  It really doesn't make sense to trade actual assets like Sanheim and Myers for anything like that now.   

You can't get all of them this summer because you have to resign Provo, Sanheim, Laughton, Konecny and Stolarz (I'm gonna go ahead and pull an I told you so on that one so far) to bridge deals.  Luckily Provo is having a god awful season and ruining his bargainnng ability in the process, but Konecny is going to get PAID, especially if he keeps it up and in light of the Nylander deal.

If the Flyers DO manage to sign a Gardiner type D man (I really don't want to spend the Karlsson money because I want a Fwd and a G too) I'd be willing to talk about trading Sanheim in a potential Nylander deal to address the 3C dilemma.  

I would not be thrilled with anything big trades right now unless it's literally squat for a potential UFA like Panarin, but Columbus isn't giving up on this season most likely.  A Nylander deal in season is still most likely IMHO and I don't like what it'll cost.  

But I still have some faith in Morin when he's able to return (not sure it should be this year necessarily) and Myers, so if they need to trade Sanheim, I won't get too upset.  He would win cups in Toronto if he goes there though.  

As far as the coach goes, I'm still not sure if Quennville is the right guy for this team, but I won't have a fit if he's brought in now.

I'd rather see Keefe or someone a little more forward thinking at least considered first and most of those types are Mid-season somewhere.  

It's for that reason I won't throw a hairy cat fit if Hakstol isn't replaced right now, and we'll see what the defense can do when Murphy is replaced (which I would like to see happen because good lord Ghost and Provo look lost out there), but frankly, I'd just as soon see Stevens brought in as an interim to finish the season and publicly call it a "Favor to the organization".  Consider letting him stay on as an Asst. under the new regime if he's up for it.  

I'd rather bring in a squirrel on a bender as head coach than Stevens...even as an interim. What happens if they squeak into that 8th spot with Stevens and they go "That was a good decision...let's keep him on board as head coach". No thank you.

Edited by FD19372

12 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

A few things...and what I'm about to say might surprise you.  

I don't hate Chuck Fletcher.  But here are a few things you should know and what should concern you.  

Obviously the decision from Flyers' higher ups to cut loose Ron Hextall was the thought his ideas were not enough about winning now.  Chuck Fletcher was given the same 'win now' mantra too; especially after we signed Ryan Suter and Zach Parise to their big, super long term contracts which are looking more and more like an albatross by the game.  But I won't blame Fletcher too much on that one, as that mandate to bring those two in came from the owner hoping to net the Winter Classic...instead we got a Stadium Series game.  But I digress..

Fletcher sold off picks and prospects looking for players that would help push the Wild from playoff contender to Stanley Cup contender.  Ultimately we never reached that true Stanley Cup contender status because this team was too old by the time he started making such moves.  Also, the big salaries diminished what was left in cap space and even though we spent to the roof the younger promising core didn't quite all turn out as awesome as some in our management expected them to.  

So, one big advantage for your Flyers have, for the moment is that Chuck Fletcher did not draft these crop of prospects you have in your system and in development.  That is a good thing.  However, the bad thing is...don't get too attached because they might be shipped for 2nd tier players in the quest to add depth to your club.  See Martin Hanzal, see Matt Moulson, see Jason Pominville for how that all turned out. 

He also might ship a star player with the hope of getting a slightly cheaper almost good guy like he did with the Brent Burns trade here.  We got Devin Setoguchi, prospect Charlie Coyle (who we're still waiting to see realize his potential) and a 1st round pick that was a total bust.  Not that great of a return for trading away a Norris trophy defenseman.  Fletcher also dealt Nick Leddy and at the time our best veteran defenseman (former Flyer Kim Johnsson) to Chicago for Cam Barker.  But he had some fairly good moves too; the trade of Cal Clutterbuck for Nino Niederreiter was pretty good from a points perspective.  Dealing a 4th round pick for Devan Dubnyk also seems like a pretty nice steal.   Signing Eric Staal for a 3-year deal at $3.5 million has certainly been a savvy move.  

Yet, on the positive.  Chuck Fletcher wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.  He wasn't afraid to try to swing a deal, and his moves were far more bold and risky than the moves of his predecessor Doug Risebrough.  Risebrough's favorite move was the waiver wire.  While we drafted some tougher character guys at times in Fletcher's tenure, many of them failed to be an impact.   Fletcher may swing and miss, but rarely is he going to stand by and watch the pitch. 

One other thing I'd point out is, get used to rushing young players.  Especially if its win-now.  The Wild burned a year of Dumba's entry level deal, giving him too many games before sending him back to junior anyway.  Prospects seasoning in the minors will get called up instead of letting them develop at their own, natural pace.  I think this is another area the Flyers would be wise to be wary of Fletcher's record because while it may seem to help fill holes in the short term in more or less guts your farm team.  Since the Wild moved their AHL affiliate to Iowa, they've never been in the playoffs.  Fletcher gets canned...prospects stay put and suddenly they're a winner and that means your prospects get meaningful time to develop in the AHL playoffs.  The AHL playoffs is a great place to let the prospects get tons of meaningful ice time, in high pressure situations.  Fletcher didn't seem to care as much about that and felt that a youngster could just get better through osmosis even if he was a regular healthy scratch with the big club.  IMO, that's not a good plan.  

The Wild tried to win now, and ultimately it was probably 2-3 years too old to make it happen.   But how much pain will the Wild be in...saddled by those big contracts.  Fletcher's decision to grant them No Movement Clauses which further ties up your flexibility under the cap.  I know the agents wanted those, but they didn't have to give those out.  Great and painful example.  We extended then 35-year old center Mikko Koivu (a player who has never had 22 goals in an NHL season even though he's been our #1 center most of the time) to two more years AND gave him a no movement clause.  Sorry...but that's just awful.  

And now Fletcher's yours...good luck!  

Oh, I saw a comment about trading for Bryzgalov.  That actually was a pretty necessary move.  Especially with our goaltending issue the way it was with Harding's Multiple Sclerosis, Kuemper's mental fragility, and Backstrom's phantom wrist injury to force the club to have keep him another season.  He didn't stay much longer, but all in all...he was fun add for us.  

@CreaseAndAssist

Thanks for those thoughts, btw super clever name. 

After reading through that I don't understand why you don't hate him.

He killed your farm team, he rushed young guys, he didn't seem to care about salary controlled young players (Dumba) he extended old guys, Kiovu, he signed great players to franchise crippling contracts with NMCs...

I almost hate him for you. (Sports hate- not, you know, real hate).

We had all those things and more ! 15 years of paying Ilya Bryzgalov to not play for us from Homer, no one in their right mind is looking forward to Homer 2.0 the Ivy league addition. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

I pretty much agree with  @CreaseAndAssist (and good point about the AHL with its playoffs point of view).

Not a Chiarelli or a Bergevin, but not a Poile either... He did some good moves, some bad ones and some terrible ones. I still have the Barker and the Burns deal stuck in my throat, but the last signings showed some improvements, however too late.

@CreaseAndAssist

Thanks for the info.

I will give him time.

A clean slate for me now that he has been hired.

I am interested who will be the assistant GM and more importantly who will be head coach if he choses to move on from Hakstol.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

A few things...and what I'm about to say might surprise you.  

I don't hate Chuck Fletcher.  But here are a few things you should know and what should concern you.  

Obviously the decision from Flyers' higher ups to cut loose Ron Hextall was the thought his ideas were not enough about winning now.  Chuck Fletcher was given the same 'win now' mantra too; especially after we signed Ryan Suter and Zach Parise to their big, super long term contracts which are looking more and more like an albatross by the game.  But I won't blame Fletcher too much on that one, as that mandate to bring those two in came from the owner hoping to net the Winter Classic...instead we got a Stadium Series game.  But I digress..

Fletcher sold off picks and prospects looking for players that would help push the Wild from playoff contender to Stanley Cup contender.  Ultimately we never reached that true Stanley Cup contender status because this team was too old by the time he started making such moves.  Also, the big salaries diminished what was left in cap space and even though we spent to the roof the younger promising core didn't quite all turn out as awesome as some in our management expected them to.  

So, one big advantage for your Flyers have, for the moment is that Chuck Fletcher did not draft these crop of prospects you have in your system and in development.  That is a good thing.  However, the bad thing is...don't get too attached because they might be shipped for 2nd tier players in the quest to add depth to your club.  See Martin Hanzal, see Matt Moulson, see Jason Pominville for how that all turned out. 

He also might ship a star player with the hope of getting a slightly cheaper almost good guy like he did with the Brent Burns trade here.  We got Devin Setoguchi, prospect Charlie Coyle (who we're still waiting to see realize his potential) and a 1st round pick that was a total bust.  Not that great of a return for trading away a Norris trophy defenseman.  Fletcher also dealt Nick Leddy and at the time our best veteran defenseman (former Flyer Kim Johnsson) to Chicago for Cam Barker.  But he had some fairly good moves too; the trade of Cal Clutterbuck for Nino Niederreiter was pretty good from a points perspective.  Dealing a 4th round pick for Devan Dubnyk also seems like a pretty nice steal.   Signing Eric Staal for a 3-year deal at $3.5 million has certainly been a savvy move.  

Yet, on the positive.  Chuck Fletcher wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.  He wasn't afraid to try to swing a deal, and his moves were far more bold and risky than the moves of his predecessor Doug Risebrough.  Risebrough's favorite move was the waiver wire.  While we drafted some tougher character guys at times in Fletcher's tenure, many of them failed to be an impact.   Fletcher may swing and miss, but rarely is he going to stand by and watch the pitch. 

One other thing I'd point out is, get used to rushing young players.  Especially if its win-now.  The Wild burned a year of Dumba's entry level deal, giving him too many games before sending him back to junior anyway.  Prospects seasoning in the minors will get called up instead of letting them develop at their own, natural pace.  I think this is another area the Flyers would be wise to be wary of Fletcher's record because while it may seem to help fill holes in the short term in more or less guts your farm team.  Since the Wild moved their AHL affiliate to Iowa, they've never been in the playoffs.  Fletcher gets canned...prospects stay put and suddenly they're a winner and that means your prospects get meaningful time to develop in the AHL playoffs.  The AHL playoffs is a great place to let the prospects get tons of meaningful ice time, in high pressure situations.  Fletcher didn't seem to care as much about that and felt that a youngster could just get better through osmosis even if he was a regular healthy scratch with the big club.  IMO, that's not a good plan.  

The Wild tried to win now, and ultimately it was probably 2-3 years too old to make it happen.   But how much pain will the Wild be in...saddled by those big contracts.  Fletcher's decision to grant them No Movement Clauses which further ties up your flexibility under the cap.  I know the agents wanted those, but they didn't have to give those out.  Great and painful example.  We extended then 35-year old center Mikko Koivu (a player who has never had 22 goals in an NHL season even though he's been our #1 center most of the time) to two more years AND gave him a no movement clause.  Sorry...but that's just awful.  

And now Fletcher's yours...good luck!  

Greatly appreciate your input..... I’m going to look upon this turn of events extremely cautiously......I’m not excited about this at all.....

Not happy about this, but will give the guy a chance. 

But if he trades away any or all of Provorov/Konecny/Ghost/Sanheim/Frost/Farabee/Hart/Myers I'm gonna punch him in the face and stop watching NHL hockey.

PS...Rick Wilson? Why? 

Nothing against him but....why?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Not happy about this, but will give the guy a chance. 

But if he trades away any or all of Provorov/Konecny/Ghost/Sanheim/Frost/Farabee/Hart/Myers I'm gonna punch him in the face and stop watching NHL hockey.

PS...Rick Wilson? Why? 

Nothing against him but....why?

This. 

I don't have time at the moment to go into full rant and don't want to disappoint anyone. 

Let's just say I'm disgusted by both hires. I swear to God the criteria was "what is the worst pieces of #### I can possibly find."  i swear to God it's like picking cabinet members. 

Let me just be the first to say:  FIRE FLETCHER AND WILSON AND HOLMGREN! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Dale Weise and a second for McJesus.... you heard it here first!

Unfortunately there would be people on here saying "that's such a Homer move.  You cant go handing out second round picks like candy.  That pick could turn out amazing in 5 years."

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This. 

I don't have time at the moment to go into full rant and don't want to disappoint anyone. 

Let's just say I'm disgusted by both hires. I swear to God the criteria was "what is the worst pieces of #### I can possibly find."  i swear to God it's like picking cabinet members. 

Let me just be the first to say:  FIRE FLETCHER AND WILSON AND HOLMGREN! 

LOL...look at the bright side Rux...this guy has never had his team past round 2 in his career, and he has Parise and Suter signed for SEVEN MORE YEARS! 

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I like it for your guys. He is not afraid to go for it, to try for the home run

He is not a stand still GM which IMHO is why he was brought in. 

I personally think he will hit the ground running putting his stamp on the team within the first 30 days with a big splash.

That is very exciting and would be a nice change of pace.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

@CreaseAndAssist

Thanks for those thoughts, btw super clever name. 

After reading through that I don't understand why you don't hate him.

He killed your farm team, he rushed young guys, he didn't seem to care about salary controlled young players (Dumba) he extended old guys, Kiovu, he signed great players to franchise crippling contracts with NMCs...

I almost hate him for you. (Sports hate- not, you know, real hate).

We had all those things and more ! 15 years of paying Ilya Bryzgalov to not play for us from Homer, no one in their right mind is looking forward to Homer 2.0 the Ivy league addition. 

You can blame the Minnesota Wild for my name actually.  DM me and I'll tell you the story.  

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

LOL...look at the bright side Rux...this guy has never had his team past round 2 in his career, and he has Parise and Suter signed for SEVEN MORE YEARS! 

No kidding! I don't know what to say right now other than disgusting. I hope no one 50 years old or older is hoping to see another Cup in their lifetime.