Chuck Fletcher it is...

vis

3 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Google Chuck Fletcher

Then Google Martin Havlat (the first FA signing), Niklas Backstrom (re-signed - oh good lord why?), Dany Heatley (slug), Thomas Vanek (slug) and Jason Pominville (dwindling / declining rapidly slug.) Note their price tags coming in, their duration of play in a Wild sweater... And the NTC's (No Trade Clause) he gave them. Add up the Millions he tied up with the team and the buyouts he gave to send them packing.

Then you'll have a clue why he acquired players like Matt Moulson, Cody McCormick, Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, Chris Stewart (twice), Jordan Leopold, Teemu Pulkkinen, Chris Porter, Torrey Mitchell, Zenon Konopka, Robbie Earl, Sean Bergenheim, Keith Ballard, Matt Cooke, Zac Dalpe, Jake Dowell, Tyler Ennis, Tom Gilbert...

thanks for turning that knife handle even more ......

4 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Those of you hoping Fletcher hires Joel Quenneville at some point... Mike Yeo is available.

surely you jest ...... :HahaNO:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lonkkis said:

Oh gods, don't torture them!

I'm just being honest. Yeo and Fletcher got along very well. Fletcher damn near had tears when he fired him... Which everyone believes it was either fire Mike Yeo or slit his own throat and fall on his own sword; which Fletcher would never do.

Who said he already hired Wilson?? There you go.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

thanks for turning that knife handle even more ......

surely you jest ...... :HahaNO:

Sorry. Just being honest.

Surely you couldn't have googled all those players who came here being handed $6-7.5 million dollar deals only to retire happily on some nice fishing grounds here in Minny. In many of our humble opinion Fletcher handed out No Trade Clauses, or No Movement Clauses to players like candy... Along with big money and a sweet retirement package. Hell, Heatley went from making $7.5 million a year logging huge minutes with horsecrap production... Only to be traded to Anaheim. And in a game and a half they sent him to their AHL affiliate earning a mil a year. 

With all the "Chuck Fletcher Negativity" going on around here, I think it's time I said a little something FOR the man.
I did have something to say about him when his name was still a rumor, as seen here... Post #4...and I stand by all of that.

I will say, I DO get Flyers fans frustrations here.
Honestly, not many choices on the spot to replace Ron Hextall with so much of the season still to go.
But, if I am a Flyer fan, I am more angry about the Hextall FIRING than the Fletcher hire...

The fact that Philly even needed to go searching for a GM when the one they had was doing quite a nice job already and just needed more time to complete his work, was IMO extremely short sided.
Ya'll can thank Holmgren for that.  But you guys know that already, dontcha?

I think Fletcher is experienced enough to know what he is stepping into. If HIS boss is the one calling the shots on drafting and personnel, then Fletcher should fully expect to take ALL the backlash (even if all of it isn't his fault) due to the position he is in now. GM and VP....who knows...maybe with both titles, he will have more control over what goes on and Holmgren can fade further into the background...though ideally, "Homer" should be elsewhere doing something else NOT related to Flyers hockey...again, telling you guys something you already know.

But back to Fletcher...
Even though this is frustrating for Flyers fans and it seems some people want to focus on his errors during his Minnesota tenure, let's not lose sight of the fact that he DID take a boring, almost NO high end talent team that played trap and in three short seasons turned them into a playoff contender every year.

I know the goal is to win a Cup, and I won't dispute that, but from where the Flyers are now (always on the edge of a competitive cliff), I would think turning the team into a perennial playoff team would be a very big step in the right direction. 
What happens after that, Flyers fans can worry about then.....but first things first.

Moving into the role as Philly GM, IMO, Fletcher has MUCH more to work with than when he took the reigns as Minnesota GM. The Flyers have some nice forwards, some dynamic, if still green defensive core pieces on the team already, and some down in the minors who may be ready within the next season or two.
A big, big, difference from all the plugs and grinders he had to start with in St. Paul.

His drafting strategy, while it COULD have been a bit more charged, was at least competent, and he DID come away with some nice players that formed the core that made Minny a playoff team just about every year.
Granlund, Zucker, Dumba just off the top of my head were guys that were drafted under his tenure.

He also is credited with getting guys nobody wanted and gave them a chance to be key pieces on the team as well.... Dubnyk is the obvious one, but also Eric Staal and even Jared Spurgeon, whom NOBODY gave a damned about till Fletcher picked him off some scrap heap and said, "Hey, you are gonna be a part of this team"

The Flyers are already ahead of what the Wild were (minus the goaltending of course....Yes, I realize Philly has a big problem there....more than the Wild had), so I think, if you give the guy a chance, I think he could do well for the organization in the short term for sure.
Long term will remain to be seen, but again, baby steps....and having a guy who knows how to turn things around from the GM's chair is a good place to start.

So basically, what I am saying is, while Fletcher certainly has stepped on his own ^%$# a few times while Minnesota GM, I think it would be fair to try and give the guy a chance and see what he can do over the course of this season and next.

I still feel Ron Hextall should have been left in his seat as GM, but given that is now in the rear view, fans can only focus on what is to come.
Nothing is guaranteed, but if Fletcher really is the smart guy he likely is, then not only will he be good for the organization given the current circumstances, BUT, even better, he SHOULD learn from past mistakes...especially when he has lots of talent, both vets and young players, to work with, lots of cap room, and with some albatross contracts soon to come off the books in Philadelphia.

And things could go even BETTER if Paul Holmgren keeps his nose out of the GM's and VP's business....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rottenrefs said:

Sorry. Just being honest

Oh you have nothing to be sorry about.... I'm not mad at you at all.  Many of use just don't keep up with events for teams in the other conference.  I am sicken to death at whom this franchise choose to replace Hexy.  Homer wants to keep is grubby paws all over this franchise.  It reeks just like Jerry Jones keeping tabs on his beloved Cowboys.   Garrett is the perfect puppet and yes man.  That is the primary reason the Cowboys have failed to advance.  (Eagle fans will hate that I made that comparison, but it is just so eerily similar.) Homer wants this team to be run a certain way....and what better way to do it is to find a clone of himself and wont' ruffle the company feathers.   Now it is true, we have not given him a chance and he could have changed his ways, but I'm not betting on it.  That is why I am so ticked off at this signing.  The dude has a history of doing things a certain way and I don't see a change in habits coming anytime soon.

We have all seen this moving called Groundhog Day before and we didn't like the ending...........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icehole said:

Unfortunately there would be people on here saying "that's such a Homer move.  You cant go handing out second round picks like candy.  That pick could turn out amazing in 5 years."

Ghost was a third round pick,  just sayin'

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Oh you have nothing to be sorry about.... I'm not mad at you at all.  Many of use just don't keep up with events for teams in the other conference.  I am sicken to death at whom this franchise choose to replace Hexy.  Homer wants to keep is grubby paws all over this franchise.  It reeks just like Jerry Jones keeping tabs on his beloved Cowboys.   Garrett is the perfect puppet and yes man.  That is the primary reason the Cowboys have failed to advance.  (Eagle fans will hate that I made that comparison, but it is just so eerily similar.) Homer wants this team to be run a certain way....and what better way to do it is to find a clone of himself and wont' ruffle the company feathers.   Now it is true, we have not given him a chance and he could have changed his ways, but I'm not betting on it.  That is why I am so ticked off at this signing.  The dude has a history of doing things a certain way and I don't see a change in habits coming anytime soon.

We have all seen this moving called Groundhog Day before and we didn't like the ending...........

No, I know... I'm sure people wouldn't be mad at me for shedding light.

I actually do have hopes Fletcher learned a thing or two while being the Wild's GM. He's not an idiot but I do think he sank his own boat and had no way to recover once the players were granted free access to his cell to bend his ear. Once that occurred there was no turning back because everyone knows players are paid more than coaches and GM's... And they, if given the chance, can be hell on either of them if they can't have their way.

When Mike Yeo was fired, as an example... I knew while people were hoping he learned a thing or two as head coach for the Wild and when he became the Blues head coach... That he didn't learn a damn thing and would drive that team into the ground like a bad habit. Yeo isn't very bright and he doesn't know how to handle players.

As much as I despise Fletcher, with him there is some hope. Not that I'd give him much but in a more driven market like Philly a bigger light will be shining on him and he'll not get as much wiggle room to do stupid things. People there (fans) have a bigger voice than they have here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:
  2 hours ago, icehole said:

Unfortunately there would be people on here saying "that's such a Homer move.  You cant go handing out second round picks like candy.

But Homer DID trade many of 2nd round picks....So if Fletcher starts trading 2nd rounders the comparison will happen......we can't erase the past ....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

So so we fired Hextall for not signing Grabner and Halak because he likely had his eyes on Panarin & Varlamov. SMART MOVE Homer smart move.  

No, they fired Hextall for being a big, bad meanie who (and this is important) didn't win enough games to keep the per cap at the BBB high enough.

The first part didn't really matter.

True story.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

They fired Hextall because they found out he has Fios.

I would say call the Flyer headquarters to complain about Hextall's firing, but you're likely to get some Indian dude at the other end asking you if you are calling bout Interwebs or cables on teevees…

Then they will put you on hold, while you listen to the Backstreet Boys, then come back on the line and tell you to reset your cable box while asking your for your information so they can send a tech out in case their customer service wasn't quite up to par because they actually don't know what the hell they were talking about and English isn't their primary language...

And no, I am not bitter about Comcast..... its not about me...it's about firing Hextall…..  Hold please...………………………………………….. :huh:

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

You may actually have a good idea.  If I call Comcast customer service, by the time their tech comes to my house, we'll be two general managers, 4 coaches and 17 goalies into the future.

There ya go....the power of positive thinking....  :biggrin:

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Some on here can attest to the public part of this on Facebook.

When Villanova was in the National Championship game for men's basketball in 2016, there was less than 2 minutes to go in the game and my cable box went out.  It had been fritzing on occasion but my work schedule and laziness had kept me from taking it to Comcast to get replaced.  It was just the one television, but it was taking forever to boot, so I finished watching on the computer.   But I barely made it to see the very end.

So, on facebook, I posted something about hating Comcast and that I hoped all their pets died and smelled up their house or something to that effect.

A high school classmate of mine (didn't know where he worked and also completely had forgotten he was on my Facebook friends list anyway) PMs me:  "What's going on with your Comcast?"

I told him it was my own fault anyway for not taking the box in, yadda yadda.   He says, "what's the model number on it?"   Now I'm wondering, so I look at his profile expecting to see "Comcast sales" or "Comcast tech" or "Verizon Spy" or something.   Nope.  "Vice President, National Customer Operations."   Crap.

Got a new, upgraded one next-day aired to me, 6 months free everything.

Really pretty cool.     My kids laugh at me because I'll b#### on Facebook about something and suddenly get a free coupon or something.  When my daughter was visiting colleges and had decided which one she wanted to go to, she asked me, "can you b#### about them on Facebook so maybe I can get a half-scholarship or something?"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Likely the Flyers top Top Brass would never buy into Mike Yeo. But being a realist Quenneville isn't the only guy out there. Knowing the ties Fletcher had... Ugh.

I don't actually think you're wrong.  And yeah...Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Fletcher does know how to spend to the cap. And he let's his coaches coach. Those are his plusses.

I don't think Mike Yeo was behind all the call-ups from the AHL during the regular season (at all.) I firmly believe it was done by Fletcher in hopes of saving a few hundred thousand bucks each game to create more available money for late season trades, while they called it 'evaluating our younger talent.' Some of their line changes and rotations were absolutely hideous. 

• Like 1