yave1964

2 games right or not?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Was two games enough? Too much?

• 2 games seems about right
    • not enough
    • about right
    • He's a Bertuzzi! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

About a day late and a dollar short on this one, sorry, holiday crap overtaking my life. The wife and daughter gone to New Mexico I was looking forward to a peaceful week at home but everyone discovered I am here by myself and managed to attach their honeydew lists to me. Next time I am changing my name and number, lol.

Any way, sigh, Tyler Bertuzzi.

Fun game a few days ago between the Avalanche and Wings, got a bit out of control in the third, Mantha broke his hand on Nemeths head, Bert got into a fight but his suspension came from a play where Mike Green drove Calvert into the Wings bench on a clean play, Rasmussen grabbed Calverts stick to slow him down, Calvert thought it was Larkin and butt ended him a bit with the stick at which point Bertuzzi shook off his glove and swung from five aisles back and sucker punched him.

My feelings.

If you leave the bench to get into a fight you get ten games. Frankly I see little if any difference between Bertuzzi suckering Calvert FROM the bench versus LEAVING it. 

Two games seems light and I feel he got off light. He has been a very fun player this season, more skilled than I ever thought he would be, he is kind of Marchand lite in every way. 

I love the fighting, I love players policing their own such as when Mantha went after Nemeth for a cheap hit on Larkin but Rasmussen grabbing the stick was bush and this was the result. IMHO the Wings got lucky that he only got two games.

You know, I can't believe I am defending a BERTUZZI here, but I like what Kevin Weekes on NHL Tonight said about it...

Yes, what Larkin and Bertuzzi did was kinda crappy (grabbing a guy's stick from the bench), but Weekes also pointed out that, Calvert, COULD have just let the stick go and possibly have drawn attention to what the Wings players did, perhaps even get a call against Detroit...

But Calvert, a bit of an agitator himself, opted to go after the guys on the bench, and wrong or not on the Wings for starting it, once a guy goes into the opposing bench, NO TEAM will be letting him come out in one piece.

Calvert didn't exactly go into that bench area bearing gifts either....if let to his own devices, he likely slugs a Wings player too.
Bertuzzi, hopefully nothing like his uncle, certainly wasn't going to let that happen, so he opted to sucker punch first before Calvert did.

Suspendable?
I don't know. Again, what would Calvert had done if no one socked him?
Then again, Tyler carries the cursed family name now, so he is gonna have to work that extra mile to stay out of trouble with the league offices...

At the very least I would have given game misconducts to:

Michael Rassmussen and Luke Glendening for grabbing (and holding) Calvert's stick, from the bench. They have no business interfering with a player on the ice.

Dylan Larkin for holding Calvert, from the bench. Again, any player on the bench has no business interfering with an active player on the ice.

Luke Witkowski for throwing a punch from the bench. Yet another player on the bench interfering with an active player on the ice.

Given the nature of how cheap this was, I'd seriously considering giving them all a 1 game suspension. If the league really wanted to rid the NHL of the cheap shots like this, in this type situation, then send a message.

-

Tyler Bertuzzi isn't alone in all this. I'm on the fence about a 2 game suspension for Bertuzzi, only because others (along with him) on the bench each took an active part. I'm not against it, I just think others needed to receive some type of punishment as well.

Two games wasn't enough. 100% intentional, only purpose was to hurt the opponent in a non-hockey related way. What a d-bag... 👎

And yeah, in that situation some of the Wings' players got some wings under their brains which flew out of the arena... so if someone didn't understand, I agree with rotten.

Archived