Wild vs. Oilers 12/7/2018

CreaseAndAssist

Wild vs. Oilers Game Preview

Minnesota Wild (15-11-2)  32pts  5th in the Central

3.07 Goals For Per Game (14th in the NHL)

2.82 Goals Against Per Game (11th in the NHL)

22.6% Power Play (13th in the NHL)

84.4% Penalty Kill (4th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #64 Mikael Granlund ~ 11G 17A = 28pts

2. #11 Zach Parise ~ 13G 10A = 23pts

3. #20 Ryan Suter ~ 4G 17A = 21pts

4. #9 Mikko Koivu ~ 4G 17A = 21pts

5. #12 Eric Staal ~ 10G 10A = 20pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 23 PIM’s

2. #21 Eric Fehr ~ 20 PIM’s

3. #24 Matthew Dumba ~ 16 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #40 Devan Dubnyk (10-8-2)  2.68GAA  .911%SP

2. #32 Alex Stalock (5-3-0)  2.41GAA  .911%SP

Vs.

Edmonton Oilers (14-12-2)  30pts  5th in the Pacific

2.61 Goals For Per Game (26th in the NHL)

3.10 Goals Against Per Game (17th in the NHL)

20% Power Play (14th in the NHL)

76.1% Penalty Kill (26th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:

1. #97 Connor McDavid ~ 14G 22A = 36pts

2. #29 Leon Draisaitl ~ 13G 17A = 30pts

3. #93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ~ 7G 18A = 25pts

4. #77 Oskar Klefbom ~ 3G 12A = 15pts

5. #39 Alex Chiasson ~ 11G 2A = 13pts

Top 3 PIM’s:

1. #44 Zack Kassian ~ 60 PIM’s

2. #27 Milan Lucic ~ 32 PIM’s

3. #25 Darnell Nurse ~ 32 PIM’s

Top Goaltenders:

1. #19 Mikko Koskinen (8-3-1)  2.23GAA  .925%SP  2SO

2. #33 Cam Talbot (6-9-1)  3.19GAA  .892%SP

MNSOTA wrote up the game preview, I will be on the post-gamer.  This will be interesting to see how the Wild bounce back (if they do at all) after being so thoroughly frustrated last night by the Flames.  Calgary seemed to be able to create an odd-man rush almost at will against the slower Wild and I can imagine Edmonton will want to up their tempo with us playing the 2nd night of a back to back.  Possibly no Koivu...no call ups have been made yet.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A well written preview and good analysis of the goalie situation in both teams! Yeah, I fear too we see a scrambling Dubnyk and even bigger and inexperienced Koskinen stealing the show. Stopping Mac and Drai obviously isn't easy but that's pretty much all the Wild has as it's agenda tonight if wanting to win.

Some people say we have the best Wild roster ever and some say our losses haven't resulted from poor effort. IDK... recent loss made me very skeptical of those remarks.

Plus I'm about to start a thread of BB and resemblances between him and Yeo. Hint: use of the goalies, PP, unwillingness to bench a key player when clearly that player is seriously off.

37 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Some people say we have the best Wild roster ever and some say our losses haven't resulted from poor effort. IDK... recent loss made me very skeptical of those remarks.

Yeah, On paper it looks pretty good. I don't know about best ever. On ice the chemistry is hit and miss. They just don't seem to know what the other is doing considering some of the passing missing by 5' at times.

If Koivu doesn't play then stopping Mac and Drai will be that much tougher.

Also, If that's the case they'll probably split up 64-16-12 . I'd put in Foligno in Koivu's spot. Why not? he's been our most consistent player and makes smart decisions almost every shift.

53 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Yeah, On paper it looks pretty good. I don't know about best ever. On ice the chemistry is hit and miss. They just don't seem to know what the other is doing considering some of the passing missing by 5' at times.

Also, If that's the case they'll probably split up 64-16-12 . I'd put in Foligno in Koivu's spot. Why not? he's been our most consistent player and makes smart decisions almost every shift.

Foligno isn’t a center. They’ll probably move Coyle to Koivu’s spot if necessary. 

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Yeah, about the chemistry: Koivu and Parise have been together for ages but do they really have some special connection? Looks pretty average to me, might as well split them. 64-16-12 is our best line and the one who can create chances even 5 on 5. I wouldn't split them. A slight reservation on Staal since he's by far the slowest on that line but he has other tools to make up for it and do we have someone to replace him? Not many... Um, actually Granlund- Coyle-Zucker doesn't sound too bad, has that ever been tested more than 2 periods á la Yeo?

Foligno's been better this than last season but as a center...? Or did you think Parise-Coyle-Foligno? I doubt that line could create much of offensive pressure, there'd be no puck distributor.

Oh @JR Ewing, I notice you're browsing in here:

You know I love you man and your very insightful posts which make this site much better but I'll be honest: gd I hope we beat the living thing out of your Oily boys!!  We really could use a break and absolutely hammer down some opponent.

@Hockey-78 I hear you. I don't really hate on other teams so much, but am always hopeful for a whooping from my team. The Oilers have mostly been on the bad side of that equation for so long it's not even funny anymore. We'll see how it goes.

Since the eternal rebuild began, there have been many nights where I've been ready to turn a table over. There have been nights where the game I was subjected to was like a red hot poker held sideways, and being shoved up my back passage. I've seen a lot of game which were just bowling shoe ugly, and after yelling at the TV, I had to settle for angry-eating a bag of chips. On the day of the Hall/Larsson trade, my wife was subjected to (literally) a ceaseless half-hour long promo on my part, about the stupidity of the team that I cheer for, and I'm not kidding about that. There have been some fun times and happy moments, and McDavid brings a smile to my face a lot, but much of the rest of has been the textbook definition of grim.

Sh|t...

Time to watch some cat videos and see if I can recharge my happy battery.

Tonight the lead chef's for roasting players are... Good 'ole lucky number 13 

Minnesota Wild at Edmonton Oilers – 9:00 EST

REFEREES

Dan O’Halloran #13 Trevor Hanson #14
  DO13.jpg TH14.jpg
Games 18-19 27 28
Career Games 1403 278
First NHL Game 10/1/95 10/24/13
Birthplace Essex, ON Richmond, BC
Goals/Gm 6.0 (24) 6.3 (14)
PP/Gm 2.9 (33) 3.2 (18)
Penl/Gm 3.5 (31) 4.0 (12)
PIM/Gm 8.2 (30) 8.8 (17)
% of Penl on Home 54.0% (1) 48.0% (20)
More Penl on Rd % -14.0% (35) 9.0% (15)
Home Win % 65.0% (7) 63.0% (8)
Home Rec. 17-9 17-10
OT/SO Games 12.0% (35) 30.0% (8)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2018-19 24% 42% 34% 36% 37% 27%
Team Records 18-19 17-18 16-17 18-19 17-18 16-17
MIN 0-1 1-6 2-3 0-1 3-2 3-3
EDM 0-0 2-1 2-1 0-1 0-4 3-3

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96 Ryan Daisy #81
  DB96.jpg RD81.jpg
Games 18-19 26 27
Career Games 1136 151
First NHL Game 10/11/00 10/13/16
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Mansfield, MA

@JR Ewing Fair enough! I have nothing against the Oils and since you've been swimming in the pool of poo for the last decade I actually like to see you guys progressing. But as always, I like to stir the pot and get something going in here. 😏

When mentioning "cat videos" I hope you're referring some Kate-Upton-in-tiny-clothes-dancing videos, otherwise don't look at me, pal.

We badly need points. Personally, for me, it should be a must win game for us. If we will play as we did last 10 games, then it will be very difficult to reach Nashville, Colorado, Winnipeg, and even Dallas. From a solid 2nd place at Western Conference, we are now at a 9th place there. Still, I am worried about the outcome of that game, because Oilers doing now a better performance with a new coach.

9 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

A well written preview and good analysis of the goalie situation in both teams! Yeah, I fear too we see a scrambling Dubnyk and even bigger and inexperienced Koskinen stealing the show. Stopping Mac and Drai obviously isn't easy but that's pretty much all the Wild has as it's agenda tonight if wanting to win.

Thanks......I really appreciate your kind words.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

There's one for Leon. All alone.

Whenever I hear him called Leon, I think of the college football sketches by Key and Peele.....Leoz Maxwell Jilliams.

Archived