The Hitch Effect

JR Ewing

TSN made a quick video showing some of the changes which Ken Hitchcock has made since becoming Oilers head coach. By eye, this is the most structure I've seen on the ice since Craig MacTavish's earlier days on the job, and it's nice to again see a coach who shows a strong desire to get the best matchup for his team.

None of Renney, Krueger, Eakins or McLellan really did that, and tended to just roll all 4 lines, which I consider to be behind the times.

NOTE

Dramatic music included at no cost to the viewer...

20 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

TSN made a quick video showing some of the changes which Ken Hitchcock has made since becoming Oilers head coach. By eye, this is the most structure I've seen on the ice since Craig MacTavish's earlier days on the job, and it's nice to again see a coach who shows a strong desire to get the best matchup for his team.

None of Renney, Krueger, Eakins or McLellan really did that, and tended to just roll all 4 lines, which I consider to be behind the times.

NOTE

Dramatic music included at no cost to the viewer...

I have not seen anything that resembles a big turnaround in the most important category, wins and loss's.  long way to go for this team with the Mr savior McDavid.  He does not have the surrounding support that Jack Eichel has.  Its going to take time as Hitch said.  Do you remember that press conference?  

31 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I have not seen anything that resembles a big turnaround in the most important category, wins and loss's.

The Oilers are 6-2-1 since Hitchcock took over.

The "Hitch Effect" is the reason he was brought in to begin with.

His track record speaks for itself.  Not so sure how good he will be for the franchise LONG term (if there is a long term with him that is), but in the short term, as far as getting the team turned around and players "buying in"? Absolutely.  Hitchcock is a master at that.

Perhaps if he can leave enough of an imprint on the team, whomever comes in after him can just continue his style of work....of course, the FO would need to have the sense to HIRE a guy who isn't going to completely undo everything and start over in the same ol ground treaded by previous failed head coaches...

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

76% exiting the d-zone on dump ins is the stat that jumped out to me. That's a recipe for success.

Pretty much. That sort of turn-around is eye popping, where they went from near the bottom in dump-ins and recovery, to the top, without a change in personnel. It means you don't defend nearly as much, and you spend a lot more time at the other end of the ice. And what do you get? They're giving up 1 less goal per game now.

We'll see how it goes as the games pile up, but this isn't the sort of thing which is built on riding lofty percentages or elite talent. It's just good old fashioned smart hockey.

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Pretty much. That sort of turn-around is eye popping, where they went from near the bottom in dump-ins and recovery, to the top, without a change in personnel. It means you don't defend nearly as much, and you spend a lot more time at the other end of the ice. And what do you get? They're giving up 1 less goal per game now.

We'll see how it goes as the games pile up, but this isn't the sort of thing which is built on riding lofty percentages or elite talent. It's just good old fashioned smart hockey.

Yup. As a center-turned Dman, I've always believed that the game was won or lost in the neutral zone. That's what I like about the focus of the change.

But of a cliche, but also true.

@Podein25

I'm not a coach, and they've all forgotten more about it than I will ever know, but one thing was sort of evident to me for a long time: the Oilers forwards were out of the zone early, very high in the netural zone, while their D had the puck. It sort of forced them to make a home run pass (and there isn't a single plus passer in the group) or flip it out, but the problem was that the opposing forwards were often between the D and the Oilers forwards, so there were LOTS of neutral zone turnovers.

Thing is, McLellan would know that; he knows way more about hockey than I do. I don't know if it was an issue where he just didn't know how to get them to stop doing or he did have different instructions for the players but they just weren't buying in. My guess, after his last press conference, and he gave the media a big shrug and said "I dunno", when asked some of these questions, is that it was both of these things.

A *very* good item for the Oilers...

2018-19 Oilers goals for percentage under Todd McLellan
McDavid On Ice: 59%
McDavid Off Ice: 39%

2018-19 Oilers goals for percentage under Ken Hitchcock
McDavid On Ice: 64%
McDavid Off Ice: 47%

If Hitch can get a group like that bottom 6 above 50%, the city had better unveil a statue for a hometown boy who done good.

Update on the Hitchcock era after two additional games:

Oilers record under Hitch: 8-2-1

2018-19 Oilers goals for percentage under Ken Hitchcock
McDavid On Ice: 65%
McDavid Off Ice: 52%

These are major improvements from:

Oilers record under McLellan: 9-10-1

2018-19 Oilers goals for percentage under Todd McLellan
McDavid On Ice: 59%
McDavid Off Ice: 39%

That non-McDavid group were never going to be big scorers, but they HAD to start reducing the goals against; it was killing them. Previously, in their own end, the wingers were stationed along the boards and high. They were able to cut off some pucks around the boards, but the most dangerous areas of the ice were open, and it led to ten-bell scoring chances against. Hitch has moved them in and down to layer the defensive coverage, and the results have been an immediate reduction in those quality chances against.

That group is now outscoring the competition. I hope it continues.

Archived