Hyman gets 2 games ..

BluPuk

LOL. Absolutely unbelievable. I'm speechless. 😯

ps - I think Hyman should go through the full appeal process. I don't see how given he's a first-time offender, and looking at the other 2-games suspensions of the past, that anyone could consider this a fair judgement. Yah, I'm a Leafs fan, but even so....

Was THIS the hit that led to the suspension?

If so that's crap.  It's a bit of a late hit but come on. This is just good physical hockey. It's a clean hit that's a tad late. This should be a 2-minute penalty for interference at the most and no suspension.

Don't hit guys towards the boards from behind, period.

I get it and I'm sure if Hy were hit in the same way, he'd expect whoever did it to face retribution, both from his teammates and the league.

It's not just a good check, it's total disrespect for fellow players just like the constant slashes towards players hands. The players know what's right and wrong, they know late checking from behind can result in serious injury, they know that hand slashing can result in broken hands, these were all tolerated in the past but they should never have been.  

Oddity was Kappy was hit pretty well in the same way Sat. I think, the ref was 10 feet away and nothing happened, no penalty, no fine, no review, no  nothing?   

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 2:34 AM, hobie said:

Don't hit guys towards the boards from behind, period

He hit him sideways though. It was shoulder on shoulder. He didn't hit him from behind. It's just the way he fell.  It's two for boarding or interference and that's all.  Maybe I'm old school but 10-15 years ago this isn't even a penalty.  :)

On 12/17/2018 at 2:34 AM, hobie said:

Oddity was Kappy was hit pretty well in the same way Sat. I think, the ref was 10 feet away and nothing happened, no penalty, no fine, no review, no  nothing?   

I think it's because nobody knows the standard any more. They seem to have legislated hitting out of the game now. You can't throw a bodycheck any more without wondering if the hand is going to go up. It's as though there's a penalty for everything now.

You used to be able to hit players into the boards without a penalty. It was only a penalty if you did it from behind. What happened to crunching a guy into the boards? That's a staple of the NHL. Did I miss something?  :(

I don;t think the NHL has gone far enough, I constantly see players, d-men mostly, cross checking players that are in front of their net. Not just a push but a deliberately harsh blow to players backs. These are the types of actions that shorten players careers, I'm thinking Bossy and Vaive off the top of my head.

There have been lots of things that were allowed in the past, like applauding Stevens hit to the head of Lindros, but they shouldn't have been. There is all kinds of ways to hit players, all kinds of reasons, but hits should only be tolerated if they're intended to separate a player from the puck. For years hits were encouraged for intimidation purposes, those hits were intended to hurt or maim and player safety was never a consideration.

I love watching a highly skilled player being able to play hockey, not kill the puck holder and often kill the player who isn't even involved in the play, Marner might literally be too small to play in the old NHL, that would be a crime, a loss for people who really want to watch hockey. In no way is it reasonable to condone, encourage Orrs at the expense of real players. 

The rules have always been there and had they been properly implemented we might have had Bobby Orr entertain us for 10 more years, the old NHL wasted Orr so what's going on now is long past due.

5 hours ago, hobie said:

I don;t think the NHL has gone far enough, I constantly see players, d-men mostly, cross checking players that are in front of their net. Not just a push but a deliberately harsh blow to players backs. These are the types of actions that shorten players careers, I'm thinking Bossy and Vaive off the top of my head.

To be honest, I don't think the refs can see it when it happens most of the time because it's typically during a mad scramble in front of the net and they're busy watching the puck and watching for goalie interference. They just can't see everything. If you're trying to watch 10 players at the same time and one guy happens to hit another guy, it's really hard to tell... particularly if they're not the puck carrier. 

5 hours ago, hobie said:

There have been lots of things that were allowed in the past, like applauding Stevens hit to the head of Lindros, but they shouldn't have been.

So you don't subscribe to the "NFL model" of checking where the onus is on the player to pay attention or suffer the consequences. The hit on Lindros (this is going a ways back) was a clean hit if I recall. The only thing in question would be charging. The NHL's problem before was that they had a penalty for charging and they never called it on anyone. The charging penalty was specifically designed to protect players from massive hits by limiting how many strides a player could take before hitting. The NHL messed up by not enforcing it, and so you had players taking runs at other players from 100+ ft away and laying guys out. That was 90's hockey for you in a nutshell basically. 

You could always hit players into the boards -- provided they weren't hit from behind. It was the player's responsibility to know where they were in relation to the boards and prepare accordingly for a hit that may be coming. The 5-minute penalty used to be called "checking from behind" and somehow it morphed into "boarding",  boarding mysteriously got added, or boarding was never enforced previously. I'm not sure which. 

I think there's a reasonable balance to be had. Call charging and hits from behind. Call hits to the head and other dirty hits. But there's no need to outlaw hitting altogether.  :)

I seen lately a player merely push another player who was protecting the puck but had his head towards the boards, by the way boards is a misnomer now, and that light push resulted in the player having to go thru the concussion protocol. The pusher knew that he was vulnerable and probably knew the potential outcome of his push. There was a penalty but only after the player was laying on the ice so it is and always was a penalty.

Players have more and more layers of protection but the head can't be adequately protected. Before a player would weigh the consequences of a hit on himself before hitting but now without the consequences checks are more lethal but pretty well only to the head or joints. In the old days shoulder pads, elbow pads, chest you name it were thin and consequences was a 2 way result.

The real biggie, have you ever seen games from the '60s, '70s, '80s in real time played on the same TV screen against games now, like split screen. You's swear the games from the past were being played in slo mo. Tiger Williams couldn't make today's NHL and he was a 30 goal scorer in his day. Today's speed of play means no time to think, only react.

Anyway open ice hits are fine but as a hockey play dum.

I would think if the refs aren't seeing what's going on then they shouldn't be refs, one ref follows the play the other should keep tabs on the rest.   

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

Was THIS the hit that led to the suspension?

If so that's crap.  It's a bit of a late hit but come on. This is just good physical hockey. It's a clean hit that's a tad late. This should be a 2-minute penalty for interference at the most and no suspension.

It's more than a tad late, IMO. Hyman saw that McAvoy relaxed after getting rid of the puck and obviously didn't see him coming, so Hyman nailed him. That's a cheapshot plain and simple--worthy of a suspension.

Archived