Who is the veteran defenseman that the Flyers will trade for?

RonJeremy

I think Fletcher will make a Pronger style trade and grab a top minutes veteran defenseman to anchor the defense. We have some great young defenseman but its painfully obvious we need a veteran leader back there to mentor this defense much in the way Pronger did for us. The question is , are there any defenseman that can really help us that are available for trade and what's the cost. I dont see us sticking with this defense.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Pietrangelo defensively sound, we really need a guy who is gonna help in the defensive zone and cut down our GA. I dont get to watch many other teams, so I'm not sure of his defensive skills. I think a top defensive guy will elevate the play of the whole defense and obviously  help the goaltenders.

Stolarz has played well , he looks fluid in his movement and his mechanics are sound. If he can just play solid and not give up too many cheap goals it will be a huge lift until we decide what to do in the offseason. Stolarz should play 80% of the remaining games so we can see if he is the real deal or not.

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we made a trade like the old days when we gave up Ken Linseman and a pick for Mark Howe that would be great. Maybe we can trade Simmonds for a defenseman. 

I don't see them doing much besides moving guys like Simmonds, Weal, Lehtera and Folin guys on their way out.

Simmonds might could land you a defenseman.

But good ones are going to be costly.

I would hate to see them stock pile all this talent to move it out now to only blossom somewhere else.

They need to find a goaltender priority #1.

But if I had to name one vet type defenseman o like Jake Muzzin is only signed for next year for only 4 mill.

14 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

If we made a trade like the old days when we gave up Ken Linseman and a pick for Mark Howe that would be great. Maybe we can trade Simmonds for a defenseman. 

Sorry I should have put this in my last post but you want a defenseman?

I give you Jake Voracek move him for the defenseman...

...now who would it be for?

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't see them doing much besides moving guys like Simmonds, Weal, Lehtera and Folin guys on their way out.

Simmonds might could land you a defenseman.

But good ones are going to be costly.

I would hate to see them stock pile all this talent to move it out now to only blossom somewhere else.

They need to find a goaltender priority #1.

But if I had to name one vet type defenseman o like Jake Muzzin is only signed for next year for only 4 mill.

If Stolarz plays solid hockey, do you still see us trading for a goalie or do we wait until the offseason? With this defense , even if we got a great goalie,  we would only lose by 3 goals instead of 6. With the constant defensive breakdowns , I think they look for a  defensive defenseman first. I think you wait on the goalie and see how Stolarz does for a good 10-15 games. No point in trading for another Mrazk, Elliot, Neuvy, Bryz, Beezer ,Snow, Burke,Wregget, etc. To me getting another goalie wont help until you improve the defense. Maybe we can swing a 3 team deal, where we trade Simmonds to a playoff bound team and use those assets for a good defenseman. 

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

If Stolarz plays solid hockey, do you still see us trading for a goalie or do we wait until the offseason?

Depends on Elliott and how he looks/play when/if he comes back.

He shows he can help if just a backup....they may wait till the draft or end of the season.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

With this defense , even if we got a great goalie,  we would only lose by 3 goals instead of 6.

Well if they could reduce the goals against by just a goal per game it could help. Especially if they could ever get their PP going.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

With the constant defensive breakdowns , I think they look for a  defensive defenseman first.

Or they could wait to see where Morin is at by the end of January....he is already skating. He is very mobile yet is still a stay at home type.

I think Fletch may wait and see if he can help first.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

To me getting another goalie wont help until you improve the defense.

Maybe but they need a guy who can erase some of their mistakes and give them a chance.

I think Stolie has been an improvement for sure but there is a lot to be desired with his game still. However i think he needs to play to work on it....sitting on the bench at his age just ain't going to help. He needs to play.

I they were to target a goalie a team might be will to move who is still young i like Oscar Dansk, the Knights don't have room for him with Fleury and Subban in front of him.

Make them an offer...

Most underused defenseman in the NHL?

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/HockeyBuzz-Hotstove/Most-underused-defenseman-in-the-NHL/187/96484

Todd Cordell

Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers.

At 5v5, he leads their defense in points per 60, Corsi For%, Expected Goals For%, and is tied for 1st with a +4 goal differential. Despite this, he is seeing just 14:44 per game at 5v5 and 16:16 overall. 

Some will suggest he benefits from sheltered minutes. That is true – he doesn't spend much time against opposing team's top players. My counter to that: Sanheim doesn't get the luxury of playing with top players on the Flyers either. His primary partner is Radko Gudas. He has shared the ice more with guys like Scott Laughton and Dale Weise than Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. It's not like putting up great numbers is a walk in the park.

Sanheim is a plus skater who can move the puck and he has the size and strength to handle himself around the net. Given how well he's performed, and that Philadelphia's team defense isn't exactly stout, I think it's fair to say he should be playing more.

Honorable mention goes to Will Butcher. A lot of what I said about Sanheim applies to Butcher and the situation he's in with the Devils.

PHI's best three pairing options are:

Sanheim-Gudas

Sanheim-Gostisbehere

Sanheim-Folin

DuBdbXXUUAAaaAa.jpg:large

I think if the Flyers management believes they can salvage the season, then the coaching staff has to go now, we have waited long enough for the PK and PP to be consistently improved and that's not happening. So get it over with or the season is a total loss.

I am hoping Morin can help but he has barely played in the past 2 years. We can't expect him to step in and be a factor. Imagine if Sanheim had a seasoned skilled vet playing with him.

12 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I think if the Flyers management believes they can salvage the season, then the coaching staff has to go now, we have waited long enough for the PK and PP to be consistently improved and that's not happening. So get it over with or the season is a total loss.

I am hoping Morin can help but he has barely played in the past 2 years. We can't expect him to step in and be a factor. Imagine if Sanheim had a seasoned skilled vet playing with him.

Ill bet Tampa would trade Dan Girardi?  But would Philly want that used up old sack?  

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ill bet Tampa would trade Dan Girardi?  But would Philly want that used up old sack?  

Why would Tampa trade anyone right now? They are the best team in the league...besides Buffalo, of course.:ph34r: In addition, I think there's better options out there for the Flyers right now, if they choose to make a move for a d-man.

Trouba

Trouba is not part of the Jets' long term plans. It's just a question of when. They would likely want a D-man back, but they would perhaps settle for something else enticing, like toughness. The Jets today are not the big, bad tough team of a few years ago. They basically got smaller and more skilled. A guy like Simmonds might be of interest to them as they look toward another long playoff run. Would Simmonds and a 2nd be enough?

17 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I think Fletcher will make a Pronger style trade and grab a top minutes veteran defenseman to anchor the defense. We have some great young defenseman but its painfully obvious we need a veteran leader back there to mentor this defense much in the way Pronger did for us. The question is , are there any defenseman that can really help us that are available for trade and what's the cost. I dont see us sticking with this defense.

I like Gardiner, but he won't be available until the off season.  

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Why would Tampa trade anyone right now? They are the best team in the league...besides Buffalo, of course.:ph34r: In addition, I think there's better options out there for the Flyers right now, if they choose to make a move for a d-man.

Tampa's not trading anything we'd want.  We can feel free to Move along.  

This gets back into my concerns about them firing Hextall and moving on because he wouldn't make enough moves.

The fact is, most of the guys you'd want are on teams that have no interest trading them, so you'll get fleeced if you try.  Add to that the number of high quality players at almost any position becoming available in the summer, and you see why Hextall was waiting.  

There are definite improvements to be made and the team could use those improvements now, but trying to get those pieces right now from competitive teams is going to be brutal if not impossible.  

I'd sooner suck this year and get the players we'd want in July than give up potentially strong assets to get mediocre CRAP we'll only hate on for the next 6 years (cough cough... looking at you Mac)

You can upgrade on Defense in July and buy out MacDonald before camp if you need the room or just keep him around as the 7th or in the minors if  you don't.  

Gudas and Sanheim have been the team's most consistently good D men this year.  DON'T TRADE THEM.

We know Ghost and Provo are extraordinarily talented and are just having an off season.  DON'T TRADE THEM EITHER.

I'm not sure why one would trade Myers.  He's so young and is coming along just fine, these things take time.  Why are we okay with waiting so many years for a guy like Hagg and Sanheim, but Myers... SCREW HIM IF HE'S NOT READY AT 21.

I'm also extremely uncomfortable trading away Morin.  Everyone's given up on Morin because of his injuries.  The fact is, putting Hagg on the team (actually, I'm probably more angry about Manning than Hagg) over Morin last fall was one of the things I actually do criticize Hextall for and I believe not being on the big club played a part in not diagnosing his injuries quickly enough.

That said, I think of Morin similarly to the way I've thought about Stolie all this time... Why have people given up on him just because he's been hurt?  Aftr the little we saw, I still believe that with the right seasoning, he's going to be an incredibly NHL D man.  Like STolarz, I think he's probably going to surprise people next year... wherever he is.  

13 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Trouba

Trouba is not part of the Jets' long term plans. It's just a question of when. They would likely want a D-man back, but they would perhaps settle for something else enticing, like toughness. The Jets today are not the big, bad tough team of a few years ago. They basically got smaller and more skilled. A guy like Simmonds might be of interest to them as they look toward another long playoff run. Would Simmonds and a 2nd be enough?

Maybe throw in a B level prospect as well. I could see them coveting The Night Train.

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I like Gardiner, but he won't be available until the off season.  

Gardiner? Jake Gardiner? You like him? He's a less offensively talented Ghost with ZERO defensive capabilities. He's the guy who will turn over the puck over and over and it'll end up in your own net...then he'll make an end to end rush and THAT goes on the highlight reel. Most Leaf fans can't wait til he's gone.

Flyers need a bridge to Carter Hart.  Honestly, I'd kick the tires on Jonathan Quick if he's available.  He'd probably start next season and maybe the season after and then turn the reigns over to Carter Hart.  He could backup and mentor Hart for the last two or three years of his deal.  Hart would still be on his entry level deal, so the total spend on goalie is not crazy.  Would be pricey in terms of what it would take to get him for sure, though.  But rather do that than sign Bob to a ridiculous deal this summer.

1 minute ago, vis said:

Flyers need a bridge to Carter Hart.  Honestly, I'd kick the tires on Jonathan Quick if he's available.  He'd probably start next season and maybe the season after and then turn the reigns over to Carter Hart.  He could backup and mentor Hart for the last two or three years of his deal.  Hart would still be on his entry level deal, so the total spend on goalie is not crazy.  Would be pricey in terms of what it would take to get him for sure, though.  But rather do that than sign Bob to a ridiculous deal this summer.

Yeah I agree. I know people are worried about his injury history, but I figure you use that to drive the price down. 

Archived