2019 World Junior Hockey Championship

flyercanuck

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

I was going to mention Lafreniere and Anton Lundell (C/LW) from Finland as 2020 draft eligible at the end of my post, but got sidetracked.  lol.  

Thanks for mentioning Lundell. Kakko was gone so I took Lundell in my keeper in Sept. He could surprise.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Well Frost looks like he's ready to go against the lesser teams anyway...3 g 2 a. Player of the game...Canada routs the Danes 14-0

Was happy to see Frost get the player of the game award over Comtois.  The Danes were completely outmatched in this one.   

That Schenn trade is looking pretty solid to me right now...can't wait till the Flyers start reaping the benefits which could be as soon as next year...Coots Patrick Frost Varone??? Could be a very nice center depth...

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That Schenn trade is looking pretty solid to me right now...can't wait till the Flyers start reaping the benefits which could be as soon as next year...Coots Patrick Frost Varone??? Could be a very nice center depth...

Farabee was a nice addition to that trade as well. Both look like they're developing very well. 

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Farabee was a nice addition to that trade as well. Both look like they're developing very well. 

Absolutely but i figured he has at least to more years of college and that will give him some time to maybe put some more height and weight maybe on his 6 foot 185 pound frame.

My fingers crossed he could have a Carson Wentz like growth spurt....Wentz went from 5-8 190 his freshman year to 6-5 235 by middle of his junior season....wouldn't that be nice....sure unlikely but it has happened...

...i could see him getting to 6-1 195.

I've watched most of the games thus far and I have to say Canada made a big mistake choosing Comtois as Captain, what a punk.  Skilled, but a dirty, diving punk.

That said, the speed and battle of the Canada - Russia game was entertaining.  Russia played a much smarter game than they did against the Swiss as they came out with all 4 lines committed to defense.  They won the battles, conserved their energy and put on the jets when needed. 

The USA - Finland game was far different than the Canada - Russia game. A slower controlled game with both teams sticking to their game plans, Finland seemed to have an off night in net and USA made the most of it with a balanced game.  USA will need the same focus vs the Czechs.  

Should be a great rest of the Tournament.

Wednesday, Jan. 2

Denmark vs. Kazakhstan (2 p.m. ET)
Sweden vs. Switzerland (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Canada vs. Finland (6:30 p.m. ET, TSN)
United States vs. Czech Republic (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Russia vs. Slovakia (10:30 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

Friday, Jan. 4

Denmark vs. Kazakhstan (12 p.m. ET)
Semifinal 1 (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Semifinal 2 (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

Saturday, Jan. 5

Relegation Game 3, if needed (12 p.m. ET)
Bronze-medal game (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Gold-medal game (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

53 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I've watched most of the games thus far and I have to say Canada made a big mistake choosing Comtois as Captain, what a punk.  Skilled, but a dirty, diving punk.

That said, the speed and battle of the Canada - Russia game was entertaining.  Russia played a much smarter game than they did against the Swiss as they came out with all 4 lines committed to defense.  They won the battles, conserved their energy and put on the jets when needed. 

The USA - Finland game was far different than the Canada - Russia game. A slower controlled game with both teams sticking to their game plans, Finland seemed to have an off night in net and USA made the most of it with a balanced game.  USA will need the same focus vs the Czechs.  

Should be a great rest of the Tournament.

Wednesday, Jan. 2

Denmark vs. Kazakhstan (2 p.m. ET)
Sweden vs. Switzerland (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Canada vs. Finland (6:30 p.m. ET, TSN)
United States vs. Czech Republic (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Russia vs. Slovakia (10:30 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

Friday, Jan. 4

Denmark vs. Kazakhstan (12 p.m. ET)
Semifinal 1 (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Semifinal 2 (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

Saturday, Jan. 5

Relegation Game 3, if needed (12 p.m. ET)
Bronze-medal game (4 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)
Gold-medal game (8 p.m. ET; NHLN, TSN)

I have to agree with you on Comtois and his diving. I've seen every one of his dives. I count 4. It's unbecoming as a Canadian player. I don't necessarily think he is a dirty player as well, he's certainly a guy who likes to hit. 

I blame the Q. And Lindros, of course.

Great game last night vs Russia. Great pace and some nasty. They played a smart and disciplined game to deserve the win. I'd like a rematch.

25 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't necessarily think he is a dirty player as well, he's certainly a guy who likes to hit. 

There's been a number of stick infractions, most not called. He models his game too much like Brad Marchand imo.  Which is great, but just not the player Canada should have stitched the C on his sweater.

18 minutes ago, hf101 said:

There's been a number of stick infractions, most not called. He models his game too much like Brad Marchand imo.  Which is great, but just not the player Canada should have stitched the C on his sweater.

Ok I will take your word for it. I dislike the diving more than his chippiness. Together though it's a particularly bad look. I hope the coaches pull him aside, show him the clips of how foolish and pathetic it looks, and tell him to stop it. For one thing, the refs (hell, the whole world) are into him and his next dive could cost them the game.

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

For one thing, the refs (hell, the whole world) are into him and his next dive could cost them the game.

One can hope. Rooting for Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Czech, and Slovakia. 

On 1/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, AJgoal said:

One can hope. Rooting for Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Czech, and Slovakia. 

not Switzerland?  

Amazing win by the Swiss today over Sweden.  2-0 and just like that top-ranked Sweden out of group B is eliminated. 

Hollenstein was terrific in net.

51 minutes ago, hf101 said:

not Switzerland?  

Amazing win by the Swiss today over Sweden.  2-0 and just like that top-ranked Sweden out of group B is eliminated. 

Hollenstein was terrific in net.

Eh, I like our Swedish goalie prospects. But definitely in it for the Swiss from here on out.

Curious to see what several others north of the border here have to say.  Heartbreaking loss.

I know I mentioned earlier that choosing Comtois captain was a mistake.  There's other questions too as to why Frost wasn't used in OT which is on Hunter.

but how incredible is this for us Flyer fans...

Speaking of Hunter... I saw this from the Hockeynews and I think Ryan Kennedy nailed it.  https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/world-juniors-canada-plays-it-safe-and-finland-takes-advantage

I believe they played too safe. Owen Tippett (Florida) was aggressive in his rushes, but he didn’t have a lot of company. Chip-and-chase hockey is dead and while it’s not a sexy storyline, coaching matters a ton in this tournament and Canada didn’t get any. Most disappointingly, coach Tim Hunter didn’t want to address these faults after the game. For example, Canada scored just once in the New Year’s Eve loss to Russia and once against the Finns. Could he think of anything the team could have done differently on offense?

“I wish I could,” he said. “I’m not going to reflect on what went wrong. That’s over, we’re moving on.”

Wow so I was right about Frost not getting any ice time in OT.

I had heard it wasn't sure.

That is strange not to let one of your best players in the tourney play at all.

Maybe he was hurt?

If not Lucy got some splainin ta do!!!

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so I was right about Frost not getting any ice time in OT.

Yup, I have a dent in the wall to prove it. Nada. Leason had 2 shifts! Out coached by a Finn!

I don't think the Finns could have asked for a luckier sequence that led to the tying AND winning goals. Dipietro deserved better and should take top goalie.

That said, this version of TC was very vanilla and didn't leave a whole lot to cheer for apart from the Czech game. I hated Comtois' diving as well, though he seemed to stop doing it toward the end. I disagree that he's a dirty punk though. Brad Marchand? I didn't see him spear, lick, slewfoot or submarine anyone. He definitely can bodycheck. 

This team didn't seem to have much chemistry going, apart from that one game (I'm not counting the Denmark game for anything). I thought Bouchard was just terrible throughout the tournament. In both ends. 

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think the Finns could have asked for a luckier sequence that led to the tying AND winning goals. Dipietro deserved better and should take top goalie.

That said, this version of TC was very vanilla and didn't leave a whole lot to cheer for apart from the Czech game. I hated Comtois' diving as well, though he seemed to stop doing it toward the end. I disagree that he's a dirty punk though. Brad Marchand? I didn't see him spear, lick, slewfoot or submarine anyone. He definitely can bodycheck. 

This team didn't seem to have much chemistry going, apart from that one game (I'm not counting the Denmark game for anything). I thought Bouchard was just terrible throughout the tournament. In both ends. 

Yeah pretty much my view. And not just Bouchard. The D were exposed in general at key moments. Phillips gets burned vs the Ruskies on the game winner. Last night it was Smith(?) beat to the outside when it really mattered. For all the talk of their mobility, for most of the game vs FIN they couldn't get the puck out of our end. The Finns were pinching like crazy and when we really needed mobile D to maneuver their way out of that they couldn't. 

9 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah pretty much my view. And not just Bouchard. The D were exposed in general at key moments. Phillips gets burned vs the Ruskies on the game winner. Last night it was Smith(?) beat to the outside when it really mattered. For all the talk of their mobility, for most of the game vs FIN they couldn't get the puck out of our end. The Finns were pinching like crazy and when we really needed mobile D to maneuver their way out of that they couldn't. 

Ya their passing stunk. All around effort for large stretches just wasn't there. Wasn't much to like about this version of TC right from the get-go. And by get-go I mean actual hockey teams they played.

Archived