Flyers Announcement: Brent Flahr new assistant GM

pilldoc

http://www2.philly.com/sports/flyers-brent-flahr-chuck-fletcher-general-manager-assistant-gm-20181212.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/chuck-fletcher-reportedly-will-hire-brent-flahr-flyers-assistant-gm

So who exactly is Flahr and what his main duties be with the Flyers?

"Flahr has worked with Fletcher in Florida, Anaheim and Minnesota and was Fletcher's right-hand man from 2009 until last May. Flahr took over as interim GM after the Wild fired Fletcher. This season, he's strictly been amateur scouting while maintaining his title of senior vice president of hockey operations, according to The Athletic.

"Brent is one of the top talent evaluators in the NHL and was an integral member of Anaheim's scouting staff on their 2007 Stanley Cup team," Fletcher told NHL.com in 2009 after hiring Flahr as his AGM in Minnesota.

The 44-year-old is expected to head the Flyers' amateur scouting department, which Pryor oversaw as director of player personnel and assistant GM.

During his time with the Wild, Flahr was responsible for drafting Matt Dumba, Alex Tuch, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, among others. That's just a short view into Flahr's background.

With Flahr reportedly on board, the Flyers' front office under Fletcher is now taking shape, which is good timing because the holiday roster freeze is eight days away.

There have already been heavy rumors the Flyers would like to a veteran defenseman, a goalie and a top-nine forward."

Thoughts?

To our new Wild members ...any insight?

DZuWbr-UQAABzts.jpg

Yeah right now i have no opinion on this move.

Pryor stacked some nice talent in the systems for sure.

Tough act to follow.

Let's see if Fletcher will hold onto the picks so he can do something with them.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

All joking aside, Flyer fans shouldn't be surprised.

It's the same ol story we've all seen and heard a million times before:  New GM comes in, wants his own staff...and it's usually people he has worked with before.

That said, I can't say, even as a Wild fan, that I have the complete low down on this Flehr (other than he is a jet flyin, scout wheelin, pick stealin, wanna-build-a-champion sonavagun :shifty:), but as @pilldoc already listed in his opening post, he DOES have some nice players that are credited to him either finding or scouting, which the GM ultimately drafted..

Perhaps now being away from the Scandinavian culture that is Minnesota, the horizons on who they draft will extend more beyond just Swedes and Fins...although again, some of the names Flehr is associated with are good ol North American talents.... maybe he gets the green light to look at some promising Russian and Czech players as well? We will see.

Anyways, yea....
Fletcher, for better or worse, is going to go with familars.
This is nothing new.
I think most GMs since the beginning of time do this....some bring a winning culture with them, some fall flat.

I think we all agree Chuck Fletcher is a well educated smart individual....so any mistakes he made as Wild GM you would think he would learn from. Hopefully for Flyer fans, this will filter down to the people he ultimately ends up hiring.

And yea, wait for it..... new head coach (with naturally a new staff behind the bench) will be forthcoming....whether that is now, later in the season, or in the off season, I do believe Dave Hakstol's days as bench boss are numbered...again, par the course when a new face takes over the front office.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

We've never felt Fletcher/Flahr were that adept at drafting. I looked back at the Wild's success in drafting (skaters only). I set the "success" level at 100 games in the NHL. It's an arbitrary number. I figured that meant a skater had stuck with the Wild for about a season and a half. They came in slightly above the league average. They're not terrible at it, but I wouldn't say that they are drafting guru's either.

Yes, they did draft Matt Dumba, Alex Tuch, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jordan Greenway, and Luke Kunin. But I wouldn't exactly toot my horn over Eriksson-Ek, though. They guy has never scored 10 goals in any league. Especially when Brock Boeser was available...and they also drafted Zach Phillips, Gustav Olofsson and Raphael Bussieres.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

:  New GM comes in, wants his own staff...and it's usually people he has worked with before.

Am i am sure he isn't done....i am looking at you Lame Duck Hakstol....i imagine he will ride out the year and then the Flyers will make a run at Q...who had been rumored to be in no hurry to get back and take the rest of the year off.

Will they land him i will not even venture to guess...but the job will be an attractive one no doubt.

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

We've never felt Fletcher/Flahr were that adept at drafting.

That is fine but remember the Flyers still have all their scouts still in place.

Dave Brown, John Chapman, Fitzpatrick, McCauley, Wade Clark, Al Hill, Mark Greig, and all the numerous guys who were part of the great scouting team are still here.

Only Hextall and Pryor are gone so no worries (at least for me right now) Fletch and Flahr have a great staff and won't be doing all this alone.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is fine but remember the Flyers still have all their scouts still in place.

Dave Brown, John Chapman, Fitzpatrick, McCauley, Wade Clark, Al Hill, Mark Greig, and all the numerous guys who were part of the great scouting team are still here.

Only Hextall and Pryor are gone so no worries (at least for me right now) Fletch and Flahr have a great staff and won't be doing all this alone.

But that is also saying Fletcher wants to keep all the scouts. Fenton cleaned house with the Wild scouting staff after he took over...

You asked what we thought, and we've not been real impressed with Fletcher/Flahr. 

They're your problem now. 😉

• Like 1

But that is also saying Fletcher wants to keep all the scouts. Fenton cleaned house with the Wild scouting staff after he took over...

You asked what we thought, and we've not been real impressed with Fletcher/Flahr. 

He has already said there will be no changes to the current staff.

And I thank you for your opinion it is always welcomed.

Luckily my wife didn't judge me on my past mistakes.

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

"Brent is one of the top talent evaluators in the NHL and was an integral member of Anaheim's scouting staff on their 2007 Stanley Cup team," Fletcher told NHL.com in 2009 after hiring Flahr as his AGM in Minnesota.

The 44-year-old is expected to head the Flyers' amateur scouting department, which Pryor oversaw as director of player personnel and assistant GM.

During his time with the Wild, Flahr was responsible for drafting Matt Dumba, Alex Tuch, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, among others. That's just a short view into Flahr's background.

When a GM refers to work his assistant did with another team prior to him hiring him for what...8 years? that's not exactly a ringing endorsement on his current work.

And then when you see that list of draft picks in all those years...that's all they came up with? It's not horrible, but it's far from great. Put it this way...Holmgren, who'd rather trade picks away than actually use them came up with about as much quality, if not more over his tenure.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

When a GM refers to work his assistant did with another team prior to him hiring him for what...8 years? that's not exactly a ringing endorsement on his current work.

"He used to suck hard so we hired him!"

40 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Holmgren, who'd rather trade picks away than actually use them came up with about as much quality, if not more over his tenure.

We have to think (and pray) that despite how it ended with Hextall, he has to look at the surplus of cap space, 9 picks in the draft and prospects brimming i the system and know that it was a great idea to keep the picks and turn them into prospect who can be kept and still moved if need be as they still are all assets to be valued.

Basically changing his ways......we won't know for certain for a while maybe...

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We have to think (and pray) that despite how it ended with Hextall, he has to look at the surplus of cap space, 9 picks in the draft and prospects brimming i the system and know that it was a great idea to keep the picks and turn them into prospect who can be kept and still moved if need be as they still are all assets to be valued.

Basically changing his ways......we won't know for certain for a while maybe...

I'm really hoping he's changed...for the better. :skeptic:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

:bigteeth:

"Who am I? WHO AM I??  You don't wanna ask that question...
YOU....are looking at..... a drafting ...and front office...…… GOD!!"

"Whether you love it.......... or hate it..... you better LEARN to love it because I am....Brent BY-GOD FLAHR!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!  WOOOOOOOOOOO"

woo.jpg.9b75c8f54013acc406a346e741ff610b.jpg

The Nature GM!

• Haha 2