Blues blowing it up?

flyercanuck

The St. Louis Blues have informed teams that all players are available, including Vladimir Tarasenko, per Jeremy Rutherford. #STlBlues

On paper, they have a pretty good team. But it's like there's this invisible force, year after year, stopping them from reaching their potential. Divine intervention? Plain bad luck? Or just a guy in a Lumina?

They must of heard me say "Blow Up The Blues...NOW" in the shoutbox the other day!  :biggrin:

A St. Louis firesale WOULD cause an NHL wide frenzy though.

It's like a blue whale dying out in the middle of the ocean...… and all the sharks, eels and other predatory fish are circling waiting to take their big bite....

Hell, even the birds are waiting around to pick at it...…  :blues::blues:

I'd wonder what Brayden Schenn would look like wearing Bolt blue.

Maybe a one for one swap for him and JT Miller.
Not as far fetched as it sounds.  Miller and Schenn are actually very similar players, Miller being two years younger, however, Schenn represents a bit of cap relief in the short term, and since he has less years on his contract, can represent long term relief for TB if he and the Lightning choose to part ways after next season.

Blues get the versatile Miller who is signed for 5 more years and is less injury prone than Schenn.

Why would the Bolts do this?
Simple. Brayden Point. Bolts are gonna need to pay him and the faster some big contracts come off the books (I.E. Schenn way before Miller, as well as Ryan Callahan's 5.8M...both are done after next season), the easier it will be to get Point signed to a long term contract.

In the meantime, maybe TB convinces (and he gets it in writing) to take a smaller 2 yr bridge contract while those other two expire.

Schenn would also go towards the Bolts' "win now" mentality.
The only big problem I see with Schenn in TB is, where, exactly he slots in.

He is a 2C in St. Louis, but the Bolts alternate 1c and 2c between Stamkos and Point.
Anthony Cirelli is a very good 3C for them, and Cedric Paquette is fine with his linemate as the 4C.

I've never seen Cirelli play anything other than C, so not sure if he'd make a good winger.....that would put Schenn as a 3C and that should give TB three legit scoring lines.
Or, Schenn can play in the top six if he can play the wing.....not sure if he can, or more importantly, if he can do it well.

Anyways, just something that occurred to me.
Rumors have been floating around that JT Miller may be shipped at the deadline or in the off season for cap relief purposes....otherwise they run the risk of losing Point.....not to mention having to worry about contracts for both Vasilevskiy and Sergachev in two seasons also.

So I thought, why not Schenn? Makes financial sense for TB and they get a player who does pretty much what Miller does, the Blues still get a good player in Miller, and TB and Schenn can then worry about what to do with each other later on.

Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing wearing Bolt blue from St. Louis would be Joel Edmundson....but he is a young solid defender and would likely cost the Bolts a lot more to acquire....something they likely wouldn't want to do if they don't want to disrupt their own defense core, which is playing really well this season.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Ok Jake and Gudas.

LMAO. That's the wrong way. Lol  might have to take on other cap.   Being a little silly here, but Voracek for AP and Fabbri?  Fabbri is RFA at the end of this season. Don't extend him if the change of scenery doesn't help. 

I'd imagine if St. Louis really is gonna go into some sort of rebuild, they'd want to try and recoup as many picks and young almost NHL ready players as possible.

Have a look at their draft board.....pretty bare with no 1st round pick, and only a 2nd and 3rd to possibly get a significant player in 2019.
A "quicker than normal" turnaround for this team will likely require multiples 1st, 2nds and 3rd for the next three years.
Blues.thumb.jpg.2294734adc48787a9fbf30674b3a094f.jpg

They DO have the players on the roster to get those types of picks and prospects, however, as often is the case with a team like the Blues who basically "sold out" to win now, many of their more desirable players have either NTCs or NMCs attached......and high cap hit numbers..... so they will have to bank on teams that want to win now to take on some of those and part with the picks and prospects.

NONE of this would endear the StL front office to the fanbase...even if they get good picks and prospects, the fact that the Blues will absolutely REEK for the next three to four years or so is something that will leave a very bad taste in the mouths of Blues fans.

I was on my way in here this morning to do a write up on what the Hell went wrong in St. Louis this year and saw this so instead I will jump in here.

Last season at the end of the year Armstrong traded Stastny away at the deadline and they missed the playoffs on the seasons last day but then he went all in during the offseason adding

O'Reilly who has been as good as advertised as a point a game player and arguably the games best faceoff man. The cost in terms of on ice talent is very little, none of Sobotka, Berglund or Thompson is doing much with the Sabres the problem is the first round pick, it is a protected pick so if the Blues finish in the bottom ten they keep it and give up next years which is unprotected. Kind of like Duchene to the Senators.

Perron in his millionth tour in St. Louis is 2nd on the team in goals and third in points.

Maroon has been DREADFUL with 1 goal and a minus 15. The hometown boy has discovered you cannot go home again.

Bozak has been exposed as a third line center at best and is overpaid, over termed and they are stuck with him.

Chad Johnson has been Ocho Stinko and released, claimed by the goalie desperate Ducks.

The kids, Rob Thomas has been anything but smooth looking lost most nights Barbashev has been meh at best, Dunn on the blueline has really looked like the real deal, even better than advertised Fabbri, Blais, Kyrou and Sanford have all gotten significant ice time none have made a case for why. So in all, seven count them SEVEN rookies or second year players have gotten significant chances to grab a job and only Dunn and possibly Thomas have done anything to prove they belong.

So new faces and kids make up half the roster of them Perron, O'Reilly and Dunn have steped up, the rest have bombed, many if not most miserably.

But to me it comes down to the following players all having a collective rotten season: Taresenko, Steen, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Parayko, Bouwmeester and Allen the core of the team have all been bad or at least have not played up to previous expectations or even close. To a man they have all failed the organization. Taresenko is whispered to be frustrating the team by taking multiple shifts off, playing disinterested defense. Pietrangelo has been playing through some undisclosed injury which has slowed him all year. Allen it could be argued is the games worst starting goalie and is signed long term. Bouwmeester and Steen time has caught up with them, Parayko, I have no idea what is going on with him but he has regressed badly.

Notice I didn't mention Schenn, he hasn't been bad, he hasn't been good he simply has just been, 25 games, 18 points, he is not the reason they are in this mess but he is not the answer for lifting them up out of it either. 

Armstrong has to go, as one of the leagues lognest tenured GM's his team has regressed to the point of absurdity, no team is more disappointing this season and I include the Kings and Pens in this. After going out and landing a linemate for all four lines in the offseason hopes were through the roof in St. Louis but it has failed miserably. You can only fire the coach so often, Armstrong needs gone and new eyes need to look at the team. I like a lot of the kids so they have some building blocks and they do have some juicy pieces to put in play in Taresenko and possibly Pietrangelo and even Schenn and I like a lot of their near ready kids in Dunn, Kyrou, Kostin and Thomas so they need to unclog the aging slow veteran forwards to make room. Steen and Bouwmeester have little if any value, just getting out from under them is all they can hope for. The big thing is this team is going nowhere until they take Allen out back at dawn and offer him a cigarette and blindfold and find a real NHL goalie. 

Sorry this went so long, I am simply stunned at how it went so bad for a team that had so much promise entering the season.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would only do it if it is Jake for AP!!!!!!!

They ain't trading Tarasenko.

Lots of whispers about the Blues brass putting a lot of this tire fire blame squarely on Taresenko who has been awful. 9 goals and minus 13 in 29 games there is even talk he wants out of St. Louis, he still has five years remaining on what is in todays market a very affordable contract. He clearly has the most value of any player on the team.

Would I trade him? No, I like his contract, he averaged 37 goals a year for the past 4 seasons but clearly something isn't right as of now. His value is by far the highest of any potential piece so I think they have to at least listen as they are a mess right now.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Lots of whispers about the Blues brass putting a lot of this tire fire blame squarely on Taresenko who has been awful.

The scuttle-buck that I’ve heard is that a couple general managers around the league have said that they’re hearing the big names are on the block. Everything’s open. Even Vladimir Tarasenko. A GM said, ‘I heard Vladdy’s available.’

Yes i had just read that this morning so it sounds like they are serious.

HHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

LMAO. That's the wrong way. Lol  might have to take on other cap.   Being a little silly here, but Voracek for AP and Fabbri?  Fabbri is RFA at the end of this season. Don't extend him if the change of scenery doesn't help. 

Ok so since i read that Tarasenko is on the table i will play....

Vladimir Tarasenko

Colton Parayko

Tyler Bozak

for 

Jake Voracek

Shayne Gostisbehere

Wayne Simmonds

Thoughts??

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Vladimir Tarasenko

Colton Parayko

Tyler Bozak

for 

Jake Voracek

Shayne Gostisbehere

Wayne Simmonds

Thoughts??

Just names and without any cap consideration, I'd kick those tires.  

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Vladimir Tarasenko

Colton Parayko

Tyler Bozak

for 

Jake Voracek

Shayne Gostisbehere

Wayne Simmonds

Thoughts??

The Blues are going to kick off a rebuild by bringing in guys who are 29, 25, and 30?

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It isn't a rebuild per Armstrong....it's a roster shake up....so yeah not a bad shake up.

He said that he wants to keep his core together. So, aside from the fact that Parayko would be in that group, I can't see him having interest in swinging a blockbuster deal where the average age of return is 28. If he does, then he's a damn fool.

The players you're talking about giving up are good; I'm not sh|tt|ing on that. It's the age. He can call it a shake-up, a re-tooling, or whatever he likes. When name like Tarasenko and Pietrangelo are available, it's at least a minor rebuild. That means good prospects in return.

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The players you're talking about giving up are good

So are the Flyers.

Jake is coming off a 85 point season and is just 29 Tarasenko is 27.

Ghost is 25 coming off a 65 point season. Parayko is 25 he has  scored 70 points.....over the past two years.

Simmer is 30 and has score 65 goals over the last 3 years. Bozak is 32 and has scored 32 goals over the last 3 years.

So yeah thanks for pointing that out to me the Flyers will need some draft pick compensation to give that away...

Archived