It's Hakstol. Sorry.

King Knut

Very plainly this team is just being coached extremely poorly.  

They have the talent.  Last night is a prime example of how that talent is just being misused and mismanaged to terrible effect.

Simply put, they stop pressuring and fall back to collapse into their own zone, but they simply don't have the size, strength or footspeed that might make that approach remotely effective... AND THEY LOSE.  

This team succeeds when it's attacking.  It falters when it stops .  There is almost no more clear an explanation of that is wrong right now than that for me.  Add to that the occasional game when they're just utterly unprepared and simply don't show the hell up for the first 15 minutes and go down 4 goals (but even then they kinda wrestle control of the flow of the game later... it's just too late to matter usually). 

Alex Appleyard had some eye opening numbers on Twitter that really sum this up for me:

under Hakstol 5v5:

Trailing: 56.3% CF (10th in NHL), 53.1% GF (11th in NHL)

Tied: 50.4% CF (15th in NHL), 49.5% GF (18th in NHL)

Leading: 44.1% CF (21st in NHL), 45.5% GF (24th in NHL)

So: Great when trailing. Middling when tied. V.Poor when leading.

THEY NEED A NEW COACH.  

My only fear is that playing this way for so long has created a confused and misguided understanding of the game that will take a long time to undo in guys like Hagg and Provo and Ghost and Sanheim (who really seems to have found his stride-pun intended- in joining the play with that blistering speed of his, huh?... FLETCHER, PLEASE DOn"T TRADE SANHEIM!!!!!!

Don't care what the coach says, with 7 seconds left you find a red shirt and you knock it on its ass. This team is soft. That comes from inside the players hearts. Also, there is no accountability in that room. I could show several clips of #28 being extremely lazy in his own end and never being held responsible. Captain, highest paid, supposed leader, that all filters down to the younger players. SOFT SOFT SOFT.

I agreed he needs to go. He did mistake yesterday he thought puck deep in offence and he changed players, when it was not Flyers puck !. he lost a game with his bad players changes. It's not happening for first time.  it was 20 sec to go only . 

And of course he can't win in overtime ever ! 

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

This team succeeds when it's attacking.  It falters when it stops .

In fairness, this is true of every hockey team, ever.

The team is especially fragile though, you're right, but I think that has more to do with shoddy goaltending than anything. Don't get me wrong: I want Hak gone too. I've tired of him.

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

In fairness, this is true of every hockey team, ever.

The team is especially fragile though, you're right, but I think that has more to do with shoddy goaltending than anything. Don't get me wrong: I want Hak gone too. I've tired of him.

Yeah, but it matches what we see so consistently with their approach.  They fall back into their zone and try to shell around the goal, but their approach to that is highly ineffective and frankly in today's NHL, I'm pretty sure the shell is just a thing of the past.  the players are all too skilled and too good at moving themselves and the puck.  

Think about it, (though it's been better recently) for four years or more this team's biggest weakness has been the PK... so when they get the lead, they essentially put themselves in the position of playing like they're killing penalties.  

It's just dumb.  It's one thing if the other team getting motivated to catch up just starts beating your forecheck or breaking through the neutral zone, but the Flyers get the lead and they just automatically cede both the forecheck and the neutral zone.  It's strange that it STILL happens all the time.  

38 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Very plainly this team is just being coached extremely poorly. 

Sure no argument there but yeah he is the bum who keeps putting Mcdud in the lineup and then out there to start over time.

Time and time again. How many times do we have to watch Mcdud turn the puck over like he is handling an egg on the ice.

Then just play soft useless defense only to screen his own goaltender....now this is far from the only thing wrong with this team but this is the vet you are leaning on to teach these kids and he doesn't even know what the f**k he is doing...i guess that top pick is looking good.

25 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Amac never hit the ice in the last two ot's .

#9 was on the ice both games ot..

He is over played.

and its what happends when you have such a young D ....

period.

It ain't their youth, it's their usage.

They're just being coached to go to the wrong places.  Provo was better his first season playing on pure instinct.  Two years of Hak have made him confused and out of position CONSTANTLY.

Probo is overplayed, and Sanheim and Gudas should be getting more minutes, but the fact of the matter is, a new coach needs to come in and re-teach these guys how to play defense in this league.  Anything else is almost definitely going to be a colossal waste of time.  

Bringing in some overpriced "mature" vet D-Man and asking him to do what Hakstol is having these guys do will result in the EXACT same problem.  

This team is crying for help.  

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They're just being coached to go to the wrong places. 

I don't think this is really how coaching works, notwithstanding Shero's famous line about taking the shortest route and arriving in ill humor. 

I certainly don't think its "systems" or Xs and Os, but he might be utilizing players poorly, I will grant you that.

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Don't care what the coach says, with 7 seconds left you find a red shirt and you knock it on its ass. This team is soft. That comes from inside the players hearts. Also, there is no accountability in that room. I could show several clips of #28 being extremely lazy in his own end and never being held responsible. Captain, highest paid, supposed leader, that all filters down to the younger players. SOFT SOFT SOFT.

did he knock your daughter up or what ?

the way you drag 28 here seems almost personal. 

everything that's wrong with the team is on 28 ?

please.

I do think a team where 28 is your 2nd best player wearing an A is a better team.

However, is there a better player on the roster ?

Is there a guy in the room that is a better leader ? 

"signs point to no"

Leaders, lead in all kinds of ways. If there are other guys in the room with better leadership abilities, then most likely they aren't just sitting around doing nothing. They must be awful and soft too.

My theory about why this team is so hard to watch has 28 way down on the list of problems. 

Start with the coach

Pre Stolarz it was the goaltending, maybe now that will stabilize? 

Tough to go forward when you can't trust the guy behind you...

All that to say, the "soft" argument is not 100% invalid, but it is also tired, intellectually convenient but mostly played out. 

For example, Zac Rinaldo.

Thank you ! good night, tip your servers...

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Pre Stolarz it was the goaltending, maybe now that will stabilize? 

Tough to go forward when you can't trust the guy behind you...

I mean, I want Stolarz to succeed, and he has played well in some games, but no matter how you slice it, a 3.80 GAA and .889 save % is not good enough. 

Sure, he made some great stops last night. But the SHG was weak - he had a clear view, dude was 25 ft out, and it went in short side. That's a stop you need your goalie to make. 

There was another goal that he should have had too. I can't remember which one because there were so many. 

You can't allow that many goals with a sub .900 save % and expect to win many games. 

Of course I say all this while not at all convinced that a better goalie would really make a difference if that's the only change. 

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

I mean, I want Stolarz to succeed, and he has played well in some games, but no matter how you slice it, a 3.80 GAA and .889 save % is not good enough. 

Sure when you look at the number you could think that without knowing how they got that way.

The great Marty Brodeur would struggle with this team.

I mean just standing out front letting other forwards just set up on top of the crease to screen in coming shots and get to all the loose rebounds...

...or the Flyers defensemen screening the goalie themselves...and then last night in the 3rd period all the brain dead penalties 4 alone and one that should have been called that wasn't...hard to put this on Stolie he has maybe at most given up one softy a game.

Those trips to the box keeps from any rhythm from being established at all.

I will take it Elliott was good for 2 or 3 softies a game....so moderate progress when you think about it.

And the PK has gotten better in the last several games for one major reason...Stolie has stood on his head keeping the Keystone Kops in these games so i have to say Stolie right now is the least of my worries.

33 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

everything that's wrong with the team is on 28 ?

please.

I am so tired of people blaming every ill on G.  He is a great player and literally the last player on this team I would fault.   People just like to use the tired argument b/c it is easy and takes no thought.

Mojo you gotta come out of your basement more often. The issue with 28 is accountability, of which there is none on this team. I am not blaming him for nothing, he is what he is. A one dimensional player. He is very good at his one dimension, unfortunately the pro game is a 200 foot game today. I will repeat something I said a few weeks back on this site. Bobby Clarke was not on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal against until January in 1976. Thats leadership. Thats accountability. Thats the bar for a Flyer captain. And i would be honored if he knocked my daughter up. I have a sense of humour, you should find one.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I don't think this is really how coaching works, notwithstanding Shero's famous line about taking the shortest route and arriving in ill humor. 

I certainly don't think its "systems" or Xs and Os, but he might be utilizing players poorly, I will grant you that.

Isn't "where to go in what situation" lessentially what systems are?

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Mojo you gotta come out of your basement more often. The issue with 28 is accountability, of which there is none on this team. I am not blaming him for nothing, he is what he is. A one dimensional player. He is very good at his one dimension, unfortunately the pro game is a 200 foot game today. I will repeat something I said a few weeks back on this site. Bobby Clarke was not on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal against until January in 1976. Thats leadership. Thats accountability. Thats the bar for a Flyer captain. And i would be honored if he knocked my daughter up. I have a sense of humour, you should find one.

getting personal again i see, awesome.

my basement floods too frequently to spend a whole of time down there.

Actually  i do have a pretty good sense of humor.

You, however, aren't funny.

It is now 2018. REC retired over 40 years ago.  Playing his game gets a player suspended, or labeled a cheapshot artist today.

Can't keep banging that 1975 drum bro, find some new material.

Your posts more often than not lack any real insight about anything other than "these kids today".

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

getting personal again i see, awesome.

my basement floods too frequently to spend a whole of time down there.

Actually  i do have a pretty good sense of humor.

You, however, aren't funny.

It is now 2018. REC retired over 40 years ago.  Playing his game gets a player suspended, or labeled a cheapshot artist today.

Can't keep banging that 1975 drum bro, find some new material.

Your posts more often than not lack any real insight about anything other than "these kids today".

Mojo you took it personal with the daughter comment.

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

mojo and your posts reek of someone who never played the game.

Oh jeez, this is the kinda thing I usually write on this forum,  and it makes me look like a giant arse. I've stopped doing it, hopefully, since it's not a good look. I humbly suggest you do the same. 

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Oh jeez, this is the kinda thing I usually write on this forum,  and it makes me look like a giant arse.

🤣

HA i fixed it for you!!!!!!!!!

😂 

Sorry i couldn't resist.....i know REPORTED!!!!!

Archived