Cory Schneider aproaching one year without a win

yave1964

Cory Schneider won on December 27th of last year beating my Red Wings 3-1 to run his personal winning streak to five games and running his overall record to an outstanding 17-5-4 and he was in the conversation for the Vezina. Everything was coming up roses for both he and the Devils.

He has not won a single game since that time in almost an entire calendar year.

He missed time an injury he suffered against Boston in January came back in March and was not himself he lost his starting job to Keith Kinkaid down the stretch. This season he missed the seasons first month and since he has come back has remained winless since that late December game of last year. Overall since that victory he has went 0-15-3 with a .883 save percentage. He overnight became a running joke and a shadow of his former self.

The Devils would dearly love to find someone, anyone to take his contract off of their hands, he is owed four more years at 6 million a season while Kinkaid is an UFA at seasons end. Kinkaid after a hot start has slowed to a crawl as well but losing 6 of his last 7 and giving up 3 or more goals in every single one of those starts but even 1-4-2 from Kincaid is better than the crap sandwich that Schneider has been putting out there. New Jersey currently sits with 26 points dead last in the East and only 2 points ahead of the Kings for the worst record in the game after making an improbably playoff run last year.

Schneider vows to turn it around and with an unmovable contract and an 18 game personal losing streak on the line he goes tonight against Vegas which is not ideal as the Knights have been red hot (although not as good on the road as at home).  I give him credit that he stands in there and talks to the media and faces the music after every loss like a true pro. 

He is bound to win sooner or later. He has four years left on his contract that says they have to keep throwing him out there one way or the other.

I honestly, truly, dearly feel sorry for Cory Schneider.
No, I am no Devils fan...not even a closet one.... but this is more about the player for me, not the team.

I've always found him to be a likeable guy, even going back to his days in Vancouver, when he could have easily griped about the "goaltending controversy" up there between he and Luongo. Always said the right things to the media, always had a smile on his face.
No...he just was a good soldier and played whenever they put him out there (and did it well).

Then, he gets traded to a woeful NJ Devils team, and despite the holes all over the team, manages to at least make them respectable by playing lights out goal there, prompting many to say, "Man, if this guy only had some help in front of him....he could be a Vezina candidate!"

Well, the Devils finally start getting better (ok, not this year...EVERYONE and their mother wearing a deviled NJ is doing everything wrong it seems), then the injuries start showing up, and it's as if the guy...………………. just FORGOT how to play goal.
Either that, or he STILL has some nagging issue that he or his team isn't coming clean about!

I just don't understand how a guy who played as well as Schneider goes from that to being a guy who teams seemingly salivate over when they see he is getting put in net.
Just unbelievable.

But yet, here we are.
From Vezina hopeful to an expensive carcass in net!
What a fall!

I've seen guys struggle after injuries, but this is just insane.

I really don't know what can be done here, except a massive buyout by NJ (they eat a crapload of that money), Schneider gets cut loose, still with a nice chunk of change being paid to him, to try and find his game elsewhere...……..if another team would be willing to give him a shot.
And even if one does, you can bet it WON'T be a contender....

Big losers here would, of course, be the NJ Devils franchise, who would be shelling out some big bucks for Cory to go away, and the fanbase who will see some young careers start to erode if the Devils can't find a suitable replacement and start winning again..... or worse yet, the fans would be big losers by having to see NJ empty their roster of anything worth of value and start another 5-6 year rebuild!

Archived