Just blow it up.

Jam1986

Well if his answer would be to put Yeo in Hak's place I would rather just ride it.

Last thing I would want is Yeo to come in have some minor success to were as they would think hey let's hire this guy for next year.

HELL NO!

Quenneville or bust.

We might get your wish.  But you know the old saw about getting what you wish for.  It is a bad scene. I had a tough time staying awake for the third period last night but not sure if it was fatigue or disgust/boredom.  I am not sure about watching tonight's super-late start.

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

This is just my opinion, and I've made $0 in the hockey business, but "blow it up" and "who is the big UFA?" don't belong in the same sentence.

Asking on the UFA guys for next summer.

1 hour ago, Jam1986 said:

Asking on the UFA guys for next summer.

I guessed that. To be more specific, my problem with blowing it up / rebuilding / re-tooling and bringing in a big UFA at the same time is

-The big UFA doesn't really fit the new window for competing that a rebuild brings. It mismatches his age from your new cluster, and his prime years are now gone right when you need him to put you over the top. He is, by that stage, an expensive and possibly spent asset.

-Because you don't really know which (or how many) of your prospects will turn out, your positional needs, when you go from collecting and developing talent to competing, could be very different. The UFA signing from the beginning could be a boat anchor at the end, and/or superfluous.

-Signing the UFA early can wreak havoc on the signing of your young RFA players. For an example of this, be sure to watch the hell that Kyle Dubas is only beginning to experience in Toronto. He bought shiny toys (Marleau and Tavares) but won't have money left for Matthews, Marner, etc.

TLDR; you sign the UFA towards the end of the "blow it up" cycle, not at the beginning, when you're sure of organizational need, cap space and the ages and expected play of the player match up with your window to compete.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I guessed that. To be more specific, my problem with blowing it up / rebuilding / re-tooling and bringing in a big UFA at the same time is

-The big UFA doesn't really fit the new window for competing that a rebuild brings. It mismatches his age from your new cluster, and his prime years are now gone right when you need him to put you over the top. He is, by that stage, an expensive and possibly spent asset.

-Because you don't really know which (or how many) of your prospects will turn out, your positional needs, when you go from collecting and developing talent to competing, could be very different. The UFA signing from the beginning could be a boat anchor at the end, and/or superfluous.

-Signing the UFA early can wreak havoc on the signing of your young RFA players. For an example of this, be sure to watch the hell that Kyle Dubas is only beginning to experience in Toronto. He bought shiny toys (Marleau and Tavares) but won't have money left for Matthews, Marner, etc.

TLDR; you sign the UFA towards the end of the "blow it up" cycle, not at the beginning, when you're sure of organizational need, cap space and the ages and expected play of the player match up with your window to compete.

You right. What will be the plan?

27 minutes ago, Jam1986 said:

You right. What will be the plan?

-Pure guesswork; I'm not in the room... It seems like the coach has lost his players. Management needs to look very specifically at the types of players they have, the style which would suit them best, and find a coach with NHL experience who can apply that. I think that addresses more than a few their current issues, such as Stationary PP Min/GP,  and Sh|ts Given/60 minutes.

-I like the young core of the team (very much), and I think management does as well, unless there's some "they don't play Flyers hockey!" voices in the room. If that's the case, be afraid, because that attitude has siphoned a lot talent away from a lot of hockey teams in the last 100ish years.

-Here's something which has been said once or twice in the last 25-30 years: the Flyers need a goalie.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-Pure guesswork; I'm not in the room... It seems like the coach has lost his players. Management needs to look very specifically at the types of players they have, the style which would suit them best, and find a coach with NHL experience who can apply that. I think that addresses more than a few their current issues, such as Stationary PP Min/GP,  and Sh|ts Given/60 minutes.

-I like the young core of the team (very much), and I think management does as well, unless there's some "they don't play Flyers hockey!" voices in the room. If that's the case, be afraid, because that attitude has siphoned a lot talent away from a lot of hockey teams in the last 100ish years.

-Here's something which has been said once or twice in the last 25-30 years: the Flyers need a goalie.

The whole plan was a disaster if you think about it, from the very start -a fairly inexperienced team save Giroux, Couturier and a few others, a totally inexperienced and frankly inept defense, and shoddy goaltending. Couple that with the fact that you had an inexperienced GM, and a basically inexperience coach...and it was and is a recipe for disaster.

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The whole plan was a disaster if you think about it, from the very start -a fairly inexperienced team save Giroux, Couturier and a few others, a totally inexperienced and frankly inept defense, and shoddy goaltending. Couple that with the fact that you had an inexperienced GM, and a basically inexperience coach...and it was and is a recipe for disaster.

Not that the Oilers are anything but a cautionary tale, but I watched them run through a pair of rookie General Managers (Tambellini and MacTavish) during the rebuild, as well as (among others) 2 rookie head coaches (Krueger and Eakins). It's simply not the situation where you give the reins to an inexperienced hand.

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

@JR Ewing

I think the bolded portion of your post is the most important.  Good points all, but this is so very true!!!!  We need some of that on this team at this point!!!!!

Archived