Game 31: Flyers at Canucks; 12/15 @ 10

Howie58

Greetings:

This is a meeting of two sub-par squads, but the Canucks are a mild favorite.  This take on the game is interesting--we continue to cough up four or more goals making a win virtually impossible:

https://sportschatplace.com/nhl-picks/2018/12/15/vancouver-canucks-vs-philadelphia-flyers-12/15/18-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

Our new GM might be wondering if this was such a good career move.  I think Mr. Hakstol will be redoing his resume very shortly.  

Our D gets the most attention in terms of lousy performance.  But my eye-test and heatmaps tell me our offense is a contributor. Yeah--we take a bundle of shots.  But most of them are from face-off dot or beyond.  Our opponents' shots are within 15-20 feet.  

It is no fun watching this squad.  It isn't just losing.  It's how they lose with limited effort.  About the only plus has been Stolarz.  He may be a keeper.  As for our offense.  The first line is OK. After that, it's iffy. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Subject to change)

FLYERS (Friday's starting lines)

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
17 Wayne Simmonds - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 22 Dale Weise
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 44 Phil Varone

9 Ivan Provorov - 8 Robert Hägg
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 47 Andrew MacDonald 
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

34 Alex Lyon / 41 Anthony Stolarz

Scratches: 40 Jordan Weal (healthy), 15 Jori Lehterä (healthy), 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 30 Michal Neuvirth (family leave of absence), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

CANUCKS

17 Josh Leivo - 40 Elias Pettersson - 6 Brock Boeser
77 Nikolay Goldobin - 53 Bo Horvat - 18 Jake Virtanen
26 Antoine Roussel - 60 Markus Granlund - 21 Loui Eriksson
59 Tim Schaller - 83 - Jay Beagle - 64 Tyler Motte

23 Alexander Edler - 8 Chris Tanev
27 Ben Hutton - 44 Erik Gudbranson or 51 Troy Stecher
5 Derrick Pouliot -55 Alex Biega or 51 Troy Stecher

25 Jacob Markström
[31 Anders Nilsson]

Scratches: One of 44 Erik Gudranson (day to day) or 55 Alex Biega (healthy), 4 Michael Del Zotto (healthy),88 Adam Gaudette (illness), 47 Sven Baertschi (IR, upper body), 20 Brandon Dutter (IR, upper body).

Hak's failure to pull Stolie for an extra attacker at the 3 minute mark last night has gotten a lot of attention. It is seen as throwing in the towel on a game and evidence of being asleep at the wheel.  I don't see how Fletcher keeps him with repeated sleepwalks and losses by 3+ goals.  

Lyon didn't look so bad last year.  I am glad he is getting another look.  If he isn't NHL caliber, let's find out sooner than later.  Stolie has looked competent and composed even if the team around him is floundering. At this juncture, the entire squad is auditioning for the rest of the season and beyond.  Weise is the only one I can think of who's improved over last year.  Yikes....that is a tough thing to say. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seems like it is going to go down to many folks are talking about it.

I just hope they take Knoblach and Lappy with them.

bdej8A1z?format=jpg&name=600x314

Panthers coach left to catch his own cab after being fired at 

AP

Then my guess is Monday morning, they'll announce his firing, and the hiring of Quenneville.

And now, Meltzer just tweeted this:

EG8742ar_bigger.jpg Bill MeltzerVerified account @billmeltzer 6m6 minutes ago

• Add to other Moment

Oskar Lindblom is a healthy scratch tonight, along with Phil Varone. Jori Lehterä and Jordan Weal return to the lineup.

WTF is going on??  Does Hak think burning Stolie to the ground and benching the kids will save his job?

1 hour ago, darthbal said:

And now, Meltzer just tweeted this:

EG8742ar_bigger.jpg Bill MeltzerVerified account @billmeltzer 6m6 minutes ago

• Add to other Moment

Oskar Lindblom is a healthy scratch tonight, along with Phil Varone. Jori Lehterä and Jordan Weal return to the lineup.

WTF is going on??  Does Hak think burning Stolie to the ground and benching the kids will save his job?

Well hopefully it's his last game and it won't matter after tonight.

Well, I guess they should have started Lyon.  Maybe they should alternate by period.  A first goal by a guy who hasn't scored in 59 games.  Then a softee.  I have the HNIC feed on Center Ice.  They discussed the goalie carousel since Hextall's days...yikes. 

Archived