JVR

Samifan

I wasn't a fan of the JVR signing but for all those complaining that Hextall didn't do anything to improve the team, this was the 2nd best FA available last summer. It just goes to show signing free agents just for the sake of it doesn't necessarily work either. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I wasn't a fan of the JVR signing but for all those complaining that Hextall didn't do anything to improve the team, this was the 2nd best FA available last summer. It just goes to show signing free agents just for the sake of it doesn't necessarily work either. 

And Neuvy technically is the second best goalie on the team.   Doesn't make him good or a good signing by Hexy...

Or doesn't make up for the fact he paid Jake in a RFA year to a way too handsome contract. 

Point is he along with everyone else needs to be better. I still think he is not 100 percent healthy but that contract term could be a real anchor in a few years. 

2nd best FA available.  Don't doubt it.  But it always seems to be what happens AFTER they come to this team that is so frustrating.  They hardly ever (I almost feel comfortable enough about that assertion to say never ever, ever never read my lips never, not gonna do it) live up to the billing.  In fact, I can't remember the last time a player picked up during FA did.  I'm too sick to do the research myself, but somebody on this board must know.  

On 12/16/2018 at 7:46 AM, flyercanuck said:

You say that as if there's a huge pile of case history. 

Oh wait

52 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

lil' Paul McCartney was money...

Yep damn I can't believe I could remember that but I just checked G had 21 points in 23 games that is amazing production for a 3rd line center!

Imagine if the Legion of Doom's 3rd line center had that kind of production back in 1997.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:46 AM, flyercanuck said:

It just goes to show signing free agents just for the sake of it doesn't necessarily work either. 

Curious statement.... so do you think Hextall signed him just for the sake of it?  Or did he really believe he was going to be a good player for the Flyers now and long term?

3 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Curious statement.... so do you think Hextall signed him just for the sake of it?  Or did he really believe he was going to be a good player for the Flyers now and long term?

I think he got pressured to make a move for THE NOW...by guess who.

JVR is NOT a Hextall type player. But he's still one of the better UFAs that have been available recently. Not many teams let good players in their prime go...unless they can't afford them. (yes I said good, and he is...barely)

Archived