Already know the team I must worry about with Skinner

Buffalo Rick

Keeping Jeff Skinner is likely going to cost Pegula and I am sure he will not mind paying him a big buck.  I do not think he deserves more than Jack Eichel and he is not as valuable as Jack as most of his goals have been the "garbage type" of in the crease pick up the mess and dump it in type.  Eichel is far more of a skilled player. And I am sure Skinner knows that.  Being said, a local writer has stated that Skinner likely came to Buffalo to have a short drive to his him in TORONTO.    Yikes.  So if the Leafs engage in a financial war to get Skinner, how far will Peguala go?  Of course he is not the only worry Toronto will have.  They have other big names to keep  so maybe it wont be as tough as expected to keep him with Eichel in Buffalo and he has really gelled with Eichel.  I doubt he wants to lose that?  But no doubt in my mind the Leafs are the team I likely have to worry about.

10 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Keeping Jeff Skinner is likely going to cost Pegula and I am sure he will not mind paying him a big buck.  I do not think he deserves more than Jack Eichel and he is not as valuable as Jack as most of his goals have been the "garbage type" of in the crease pick up the mess and dump it in type.  Eichel is far more of a skilled player. And I am sure Skinner knows that.  Being said, a local writer has stated that Skinner likely came to Buffalo to have a short drive to his him in TORONTO.    Yikes.  So if the Leafs engage in a financial war to get Skinner, how far will Peguala go?  Of course he is not the only worry Toronto will have.  They have other big names to keep  so maybe it wont be as tough as expected to keep him with Eichel in Buffalo and he has really gelled with Eichel.  I doubt he wants to lose that?  But no doubt in my mind the Leafs are the team I likely have to worry about.

Rumors are that they want Simmonds, too. Suddenly, everyone wants to go to Toronto.

Skinner isn't going to Toronto, because they've already put all their presents under the tree, and won't have enough left to pay the gas bill (Matthews) or the hydro bill (Marner) when they come due. I think you can safely check the Leafs from your teams that will go after Jeff Skinner.

42 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Rumors are that they want Simmonds, too. Suddenly, everyone wants to go to Toronto.

I can tell that you don't live in Canada. Watch sports media up here for a half hour, and you soon learn that EVERYBODY wants play in Toronto.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

I can tell that you don't live in Canada. Watch sports media up here for a half hour, and you soon learn that EVERYBODY wants play in Toronto.

Yeah. Just don't kill a pigeon on a throw to the infield. 

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Skinner isn't going to Toronto, because they've already put all their presents under the tree, and won't have enough left to pay the gas bill (Matthews) or the hydro bill (Marner) when they come due. I think you can safely check the Leafs from your teams that will go after Jeff Skinner.

I hope your are right?  I think they are my only worry because he will stay in Buffalo then.  Please go to chat box if you get this soon

First off, Jeff Skinner is going to go where the money is AND where he has a chance to win.
If it turns out that Buffalo is the place for that (viable option), then so be it.

For sure if you keep one player over the other, you'd keep Jack Eichel all day every day over Jeff Skinner...EVERYBODY I believe, can agree on that. But then, that point is moot seeing as how Eichel is locked up long term with Buffalo anyways...so moving on from that...

To say Jeff Skinner can't produce WITHOUT Eichel is ludicrous (and Jay Z, and Dr. Dre, and Fitty Cent :ph34r: ….and double word score for anyone who got THAT reference)...because Skinner has and likely will continue to be, a productive player for the forseeable.
The ONLY thing that has derailed him in his career has been health as he has been the victim of concussion issues in the past.

While Eichel certainly is a keeper over Skinner, that does NOT mean that Skinner isn't the type of player that can make linemates better, and in fact, produce DESPITE some of his linemates….. he proved that in Carolina when he played and produced (when healthy of course) despite having a dearth of productive players for the most part during his time there.

Jeff Skinner WILL have his share of suitors to choose from...make no mistake. Buffalo, of course, SHOULD be one of them, but again, I will reiterate.... Jack Eichel does NOT make or break Skinner...although, obviously, the two together work really well.

Toronto is up against the cap and while I suppose Skinner could end up there, fact is, they have other things they need to worry about first. Those have already been mentioned in this thread, so I won't go into them.

But bottom line is the Leafs won't be frontrunners for Skinner's services unless they are willing to just let some other players walk to give a bunch of money to him, which, of course, would be highly illogical on their parts.

Watching where Skinner ultimately ends up will be interesting for sure. 

But honestly, at this stage of the game, I don't think anyone really knows where that will be....except Jeff Skinner himself (and HE may still even be contemplating it), and unless he comes out and says anything, no one will have the scoop.

Buffalo IS a nice fit for him....they have the players, he has chemistry there with linemates, they are a team on the upswing, and they likely will have the cap space to accommodate him. He just needs to decide whether he actually wants to play there for the rest of his prime career, and whether Buffalo, in his mind, really can maintain a winning core moving forward.... or whether there is a better option to win a Cup somewhere else that will pay him what he is worth.

24 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

First off, Jeff Skinner is going to go where the money is AND where he has a chance to win.
If it turns out that Buffalo is the place for that (viable option), then so be it.

For sure if you keep one player over the other, you'd keep Jack Eichel all day every day over Jeff Skinner...EVERYBODY I believe, can agree on that. But then, that point is moot seeing as how Eichel is locked up long term with Buffalo anyways...so moving on from that...

To say Jeff Skinner can't produce WITHOUT Eichel is ludicrous (and Jay Z, and Dr. Dre, and Fitty Cent :ph34r: ….and double word score for anyone who got THAT reference)...because Skinner has and likely will continue to be, a productive player for the forseeable.
The ONLY thing that has derailed him in his career has been health as he has been the victim of concussion issues in the past.

While Eichel certainly is a keeper over Skinner, that does NOT mean that Skinner isn't the type of player that can make linemates better, and in fact, produce DESPITE some of his linemates….. he proved that in Carolina when he played and produced (when healthy of course) despite having a dearth of productive players for the most part during his time there.

Jeff Skinner WILL have his share of suitors to choose from...make no mistake. Buffalo, of course, SHOULD be one of them, but again, I will reiterate.... Jack Eichel does NOT make or break Skinner...although, obviously, the two together work really well.

Toronto is up against the cap and while I suppose Skinner could end up there, fact is, they have other things they need to worry about first. Those have already been mentioned in this thread, so I won't go into them.

But bottom line is the Leafs won't be frontrunners for Skinner's services unless they are willing to just let some other players walk to give a bunch of money to him, which, of course, would be highly illogical on their parts.

Watching where Skinner ultimately ends up will be interesting for sure. 

But honestly, at this stage of the game, I don't think anyone really knows where that will be....except Jeff Skinner himself (and HE may still even be contemplating it), and unless he comes out and says anything, no one will have the scoop.

Buffalo IS a nice fit for him....they have the players, he has chemistry there with linemates, they are a team on the upswing, and they likely will have the cap space to accommodate him. He just needs to decide whether he actually wants to play there for the rest of his prime career, and whether Buffalo, in his mind, really can maintain a winning core moving forward.... or whether there is a better option to win a Cup somewhere else that will pay him what he is worth.

They said he cam here because the drive home to Toronto is not bad at all.  A plus.  And he wants to play with Jack

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

They said he cam here because the drive home to Toronto is not bad at all.  A plus.  And he wants to play with Jack

He came to Buffalo because he was TRADED THERE!!
DohSmiley.gif.0134840adebcd0c364577f9537c9a3d3.gif

But, I already stated my opinion on Skinner and his fit. Go read again.

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

He came to Buffalo because he was TRADED THERE!!
DohSmiley.gif.0134840adebcd0c364577f9537c9a3d3.gif

But, I already stated my opinion on Skinner and his fit. Go read again.

And waved a no trade clause to go there and stated it was near home

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

I think it is dangerous to overpay for a winger, to me, you spend your money on

1D first

1C second

2C third

G fourth

Wingers, way down the list. 

WE have 3 guys outside of Skinner to me that we MUST KEEP.  Ristolianen, Dahlin and Eichel of course. Skinner we will pay.  

11 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I think it is dangerous to overpay for a winger, to me, you spend your money on

1D first

1C second

2C third

G fourth

Wingers, way down the list. 

I come from the Ken Holland school of paying goalies. You ONLY pay big money for a bonafide elite goaler, especially in a salary cap world.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I come from the Ken Holland school of paying goalies. You ONLY pay big money for a bonafide elite goaler, especially in a salary cap world.

There is none to pay here now.  Skinner is going to get paid.  He has earned it and we need him

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

THAT is exactly where I get it from. You can win with an Osgood on the cheap or win with a Vernon and refuse to overpay and allow him to move on. Goalies (and wingers) from year to year excepting the elite are inconsistent. To me you spend money down the middle for your forwards and on defense, then sort out the rest with what is left.

That is not me saying I dont like Skinner, I do but he is a 30-35 goal guy with no other skills, he does not play a 200 foot game, he cannot kill penalties, his 35 goals in a typical year is not worth 9 or 10 million. He is having the best start to his career in his UFA year which always scares me when that happens. In a million years no way would I pay that for that kind of player especially with long term. Someone will. I respect it, I just would not do it.

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

There is none to pay here now.  Skinner is going to get paid.  He has earned it and we need him

I think he's a key piece, and Buffalo should try to do everything they can to sign him, but his contract also represents risk.

-His shooting percentage, this season, is literally twice his career average. It will return to earth at some point, and you'd best sure that you're paying something in line with that and not what it is right now.

-The Sabres need to be careful about not over-paying Jack Eichel's wingers. This won't be the last guy who has a career year when he lines up next to him every night.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I think he's a key piece, and Buffalo should try to do everything they can to sign him, but his contract also represents risk.

-His shooting percentage, this season, is literally twice his career average. It will return to earth at some point, and you'd best sure that you're paying something in line with that and not what it is right now.

-The Sabres need to be careful about not over-paying Jack Eichel's wingers. This won't be the last guy who has a career year when he lines up next to him every night.

Well I guess I best worry about the Leafs and Edmonton who might pull a "Vanek" on us?  

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

Well I guess I best worry about the Leafs and Edmonton who might pull a "Vanek" on us?  

You can take the Oilers off your list of teams who might try to sign your guys. They're a cap team, paying through the nose for a generational talent, another outstanding forward, and a $6M fourth liner.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

You can take the Oilers off your list of teams who might try to sign your guys. They're a cap team, paying through the nose for a generational talent, another outstanding forward, and a $6M fourth liner.

I am sure McSavior cost plenty

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am sure McSavior cost plenty

$12.5M per year, and that's with him cutting the team a $2.5M/yr break. He costs a lot, but he's worth every cent to the organization, both on and off the ice.

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What does THAT mean??

You pay a guy a big contract with big expectations...then he floats for the life of the contract??
:ph34r:

When Edmonton made a ridiculous offer to Vanek forcing us to pay him more and kill our cap

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What does THAT mean??

You pay a guy a big contract with big expectations...then he floats for the life of the contract??
:ph34r:

He was signed to that big contract by Kevin Lowe when Vanek was an RFA.

Archived