Goalies... Dubnyk & Stalock

rottenrefs

On 1/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, ClusterChuck said:

Goalie comparison with Dubnyk and Hellebuyck prior to last game .

Hellebuyck (19-12-1)  2.86GAA  .909%SP

Dubnyk (16-14-3)  2.56GAA  .915%SP  

Jets on doorstep for 1st while we're trying for a PO spot.

Not a goalie problem here in the state of Hockey.

(*Not saying we're perfectly fine in that dept, Just not the issue currently)

Chuck, there are all kind of stats to compare. Come the playoffs...

Devan.PNG

Connor.PNG

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/18/2018 at 2:44 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Want a killer stat about Dubnyk?  Killer as in bad, Dubnyk is 44th out of 48 NHL goaltenders in 3rd period save percentage..sub .900%.  He needs to sit more...

Probably didn't improve that stat against the Wings: 8 SOG, 2 GA...

@Hockey-78 Oh I know how Dubnyk's stats are along with the overall team come playoff time.

The only thing I was going for with my comparison of Dub and Hell was to show their stats ( up to the game date ) while then seeing where the teams were in the standings.

This told me that our problem wasn't in goal (by that comparison). 

Again, Not saying Dubnyk is fine, But that comparison could have been Stalock, Kuemper, or Backstrom, It doesn't matter who.  

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

@Hockey-78 Oh I know how Dubnyk's stats are along with the overall team come playoff time.

The only thing I was going for with my comparison of Dub and Hell was to show their stats ( up to the game date ) while then seeing where the teams were in the standings.

This told me that our problem wasn't in goal (by that comparison). 

Again, Not saying Dubnyk is fine, But that comparison could have been Stalock, Kuemper, or Backstrom, It doesn't matter who.  

Relax Chuck. 🙂My point was there are all kind of stats. Based on some stats Dubnyk probably doesn't stand out as a regular season problem. It's the grand scheme of things that's wrong, both with him and this organization's decisions to manage the goalie situation. I don't have to compare his stats to anyone. His history and failure to pass (my) eye test is enough for me.

I really don't understand why people have such difficulties to digest different opinions in here. Express, argument and tolerate'em. Even Patrick Roy has divided opinions, a lot.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, IllaZilla said:

I don’t think they’ll have to spend a ton on Kahkonen. The big lynch pin is the offense. Every single year the offense goes in the tank around the Holidays. This more or less forces the coach to overplay Dubnyk to stay in the Playoff hunt.

Part of the problem is the owner. He wants to win a Cup. Now. So in order to get into the Playoffs, you need to play the goaltender that will give you the best chance of making it into the Playoffs. And that ain’t Stalock. So the coach is under pressure to get into the Playoffs. If the offense isn’t scoring, you have to play the goaltender that will allow the least amount of goals. Again, that ain’t Stalock. If the offense could keep scoring on a regular basis, it probably would allow the coach to play the backup more. But because the offense goes in the tank every Holiday season it forces the coach to overplay Dubnyk, because the owner wants to be into the Playoffs in order to get a Cup. It’s a vicious cycle that won’t stop until the owner recognizes that he doesn’t have a great team. He’s got a good team, but not a great team. 

Perfectly said. The Wild are really a bad mix right now. A owner who wanted to buy a cup and wants it now and wiling to mortgage the future. Issue being is we have no real game changers or players able to take a slumping team on his shoulders and carry them. Now the "key players" are getting into their twilight of their careers with contracts we can't move. We given up on young talent who went elsewhere and take the next step on another team. Guys that should have been at least serviceable are going in full speed in reverse. They are a good team who is a WC contender but not a great team who can make the deep run. And it's really put the Wild in a bad spot. Drafting isn't good and part of that is due to where we pick in the draft. And the most frustrating thing is our Owner is so blinded by the want to win and so stubborn that he sees making the playoffs as us on the edge of breaking through so he refuses to allow anything but minor changes. I think the only way any major change happens is if the Wild miss the playoffs a couple years in a row.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:23 AM, Lonkkis said:

Interesting read, especially the part of Cup-winning goalies average about 46 games starts during regular season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-ideal-workload-for-starting-goalie-on-playoff-bound-teams/c-303785014?tid=278388320

Basically this article completely counters what the Wild are doing. Only one time since 2009 has a goalie had 60 games in a season and gone in to win the Cup. And Dubnyks comment makes me extremely worried.

"It's probably good for the body and mind to be at that 60-game mark," he said. "I don't think I'm going to sit here and tell you that I felt way better in one scenario than I did the other."

This points to it appears Dubnyk is making the decision to play and not the coaching staff. And since the 2015-16 season Dubnyk has played at least 60 games in the regular season and the Wild were first round punching bags. Dubnyk has had a total of 4 wins in all these playoff games since then. His save percentage overall drops in the playoffs. His first season he got 4 playoff wins for us and only played 39 games in the regular season before we ran into the Wild's Kryptonite, Blackhawks. And right now we are looking at Dubnyk playing another 60 and it's very possible we don't make the playoffs. The Wild need some major change.

20 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Relax Chuck. 🙂My point was there are all kind of stats. Based on some stats Dubnyk probably doesn't stand out as a regular season problem. It's the grand scheme of things that's wrong, both with him and this organization's decisions to manage the goalie situation. I don't have to compare his stats to anyone. His history and failure to pass (my) eye test is enough for me.

I really don't understand why people have such difficulties to digest different opinions in here. Express, argument and tolerate'em. Even Patrick Roy has divided opinions, a lot.

Lol, No problems, I just thought my original post was misinterpreted. That's all. 

I'm here for different info, Ideas and opinions and the discussions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I wonder if Dubnyk would be worth trading. It surely doesn't seem like the Wild is going to need him for a playoffs run in the near future.

Welcome back Lynxrattle. I missed your messages at least for 2 years.🙂

Agreed regarding Dubnyk. We need to recognize, unfortunately, he is not good enough for a long playoffs run. Like in a last game we received 3 goals in 2 minutes into our net which are too much for a competitive goaltender. Lack of consistency in his performance as well as a lack of team’s consistent offensive performance , probably, are the main problems team is dealing now. Team’s strong chemistry and winning mentality are also weak so far.  Some players mentioned about a lack of a team's leadership. I do not think the team's leadership is important a lot in professional hockey, because hockey is a huge business. When the player is making a one million plus more dollars a year then he should work hard like a dog to prove that he merits these money. Personally I do not understand some players, when they sign a contract and after that they practically stop playing in full. I also do not understand/do not accept in a professional hockey when the entire team  stops playing for a personal coach. We can find good examples when a player is able to put for decades more than 30 goals per season under 3-4 different coaches (like players - Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Marchand ...). And lack of talent is important in a professional hockey.

Thanks Alexandron, I have felt the same way about your messages 😃 

Just another day in the office isn't taking us anywhere. I think we can see effects of this in the way Niederreiter is suddenly scoring, and the way Granlund seems to excited to be playing for a cup contender. One should be devastated after a trade, the player's production should take a momentary hit because of the effect of losing one's team and home of many years - instead of the other way around. They seem to be relieved to have gotten out.

Considering Dubnyk, I also can't be thinking about how the Coyotes' Antti Raanta kept ripping his team mates if they defended poorly. Do we ever see a furious Dubnyk making absolutely clear what he needs from his teammates, pointing out the ones who were responsible for the defensive lapses? We need to replace him with a Foligno - type character.

Wish there were more posters like Illazilla, Antti, lynx and others who knew more about the game and posted credible insights and opinions instead of the constant long winded manifestos filled with bitching and whing and everything SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!  For phuck sake, you don't have to constantly whine about Nino-Rask, Barker-Leddy, Mikko/Suter/Parise contracts, etc.  WE'VE ALL HEARD IT A HUNDRED TIMES! Lindberg baby, to steal an Antti-ism...

6 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Wish there were more posters like Illazilla, Antti, lynx and others who knew more about the game and posted credible insights and opinions instead of the constant long winded manifestos filled with bitching and whing and everything SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!  For phuck sake, you don't have to constantly whine about Nino-Rask, Barker-Leddy, Mikko/Suter/Parise contracts, etc.  WE'VE ALL HEARD IT A HUNDRED TIMES! Lindberg baby, to steal an Antti-ism...

Amen brother

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Alexandron said:

Welcome back Lynxrattle. I missed your messages at least for 2 years.🙂

Agreed regarding Dubnyk. We need to recognize, unfortunately, he is not good enough for a long playoffs run. Like in a last game we received 3 goals in 2 minutes into our net which are too much for a competitive goaltender. Lack of consistency in his performance as well as a lack of team’s consistent offensive performance , probably, are the main problems team is dealing now. Team’s strong chemistry and winning mentality are also weak so far.  Some players mentioned about a lack of a team's leadership. I do not think the team's leadership is important a lot in professional hockey, because hockey is a huge business. When the player is making a one million plus more dollars a year then he should work hard like a dog to prove that he merits these money. Personally I do not understand some players, when they sign a contract and after that they practically stop playing in full. I also do not understand/do not accept in a professional hockey when the entire team  stops playing for a personal coach. We can find good examples when a player is able to put for decades more than 30 goals per season under 3-4 different coaches (like players - Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Marchand ...). And lack of talent is important in a professional hockey.

Consistency, hardworking and heart are probably the biggest issues the Wild have. We have seen teams overcome not having a deep talented team or just lacking big talent. Those teams had players that were consistent, hardworkers and had heart. Parise is a hard worker but this has probably been his most consistent season with the Wild he runs into big droughts a lot. Suter, lacks heart and rarely works hard. Dubnyk lacks consistency. Dubnyk seems to have no middle ground. He's the high of highest and low of lowest. He either helps the team or hurts them and not just there to control.

There is a lot of work to be done. Yes it might not seem like much but at least one A and one C should be switched. No matter what, if two guys are rewarded with this honor and you are busy busting your butt well they putz around it will affect the mentality somewhat.

17 hours ago, Fargocase said:

instead of the constant long winded manifestos filled with bitching and whing and everything SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!  For phuck sake, you don't have to constantly whine about Nino-Rask, Barker-Leddy, Mikko/Suter/Parise contracts, etc.  WE'VE ALL HEARD IT A HUNDRED TIMES!

No offense but that's hilarious considering you wrote it and addressed to others.

9 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Are you having withdrawal symptoms?  It's been almost 24 hours since you've posted ANOTHER HATE DOOBIE diatribe.   

No. Do you enjoy living in denial that much? It's been 2 hours since I mentioned him in a reply to your HATE Hockey-78 diatribe.

duty_calls.png

So you think my hating on Haters is personal against you?   It's not.  You're just a minnow in the Hater school.  My frustration is the lack of reasonablel, informed discussion about the team, players, organization, etc.  So you HATE Doobie.  Good for you.  How many times do you need to post that? I don't look at posts for weeks, come back and it's SOS for the most part.  From you - Hate Doobie, Hate MiG-Fiala trade, silly player dictating to team who plays conspiracy theories...  deja Veilleuxxxx.

Archived