Soooo.... no Quenneville this season ??

hf101

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently not.  

Honestly, so why bother firing Hakstol? 

What do they expect from Gordon?

They should have let Hextall and Hakstol ride out the season.  Its beyond salvageable.  Pray they get a top 5 pick who can step into the lineup next year.

Aside from Hughes, who we won't get, who rounds out the top 5?

Dude is skiing in Colorado enjoying some leisure time before he gets back to work...he has 6 million still coming to him no way he is in a hurry to get back maybe....i think he takes the rest of the year and finds the right place for maybe his last coaching gig of his career.

And let's be honest now after the way they have boggled this crap would he really want to be a part of this circus???

And if he still does now i would be concerned with his mental capacity....

7 hours ago, vis said:

Apparently not.  

Honestly, so why bother firing Hakstol? 

What do they expect from Gordon?

They should have let Hextall and Hakstol ride out the season.  Its beyond salvageable.  Pray they get a top 5 pick who can step into the lineup next year.

Aside from Hughes, who we won't get, who rounds out the top 5?

This.  What's the point of doing all this?   It makes no sense. 

So this is per Eklund so take it for what is worth but with leaky Homer in charge it could be true...doesn't make much sense but what do I know???

While Coach Q wants to come to Philly, I am hearing the Flyers may hire Quenneville in a different capacity for the rest of this season and then transitioned to coach next year....This allows Quenneville to spend time with and not move his family...

Also...for those concerned that Quenneville could be having second thoughts because he has seen the Flyers somewhat awkward handling of everything over the last month...Quenneville isn’t going to NOT come to Philly because of this craziness. Understand he knows this craziness has more to do with the Flyers catering to what he want than how they would normally handle personel moves..

I know @vis is gonna kick me for bringing this up, but Charlie made a great point on BSH radio this morning. Basically, he said that them turning around and saying "Gordon is the coach, we expect him to coach for the rest of the year..." Is at least as likely to be them just wanting him to not have the cloud hovering over him the same way Hakstol had over the past three weeks, as it is the absolute truth. That the players have to believe that he's the guy, and that he's going to remain the guy in order to stabilize things a little bit. So Gordon's the coach until he isn't, but I'm not necessarily going to be surprised if he isn't sooner than the org seems to be saying.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Understand he knows this craziness has more to do with the Flyers catering to what he want than how they would normally handle personel moves.

I'm confused who the 'we' is in this sentence. It's certainly not the more vocal folks on this board. (I'm assuming that's a we not a he)

34 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I know @vis is gonna kick me for bringing this up, but Charlie made a great point on BSH radio this morning. Basically, he said that them turning around and saying "Gordon is the coach, we expect him to coach for the rest of the year..." Is at least as likely to be them just wanting him to not have the cloud hovering over him the same way Hakstol had over the past three weeks, as it is the absolute truth. That the players have to believe that he's the guy, and that he's going to remain the guy in order to stabilize things a little bit. So Gordon's the coach until he isn't, but I'm not necessarily going to be surprised if he isn't sooner than the org seems to be saying.

Guess I am on the other side of the fence here...   I do think he will finish out the season as the Head Coach unless Coach Q comes knocking on the door.  Gordon might be the best fit to get this team settled.  The season is over and the fact is they are not making the playoffs unless Messier and Gretzky somehow time warp to this season and play for the O&B.  

Right now I think the positive is that Gordon knows most of these players so hopefully he can fine-tune some of the lineup decisions that Hak could never get right.  

This season is a total ****-show so I have no expectations about anything.  My guess Q does not even consider offers until later this season.  And frankly, I am not sure he would like to come to Philly with everything that is going on here.  We don't even know what this team will look like come the trade deadline...

18 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'm confused who the 'we' is in this sentence. It's certainly not the more vocal folks on this board. (I'm assuming that's a we not a he)

Ok I see now at first when I read that I forgot all about the quote from Eklund because I'm thinking I don't remember writing that.

It's Eklund and ya never know what he means.

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Guess I am on the other side of the fence here...   I do think he will finish out the season as the Head Coach unless Coach Q comes knocking on the door.  Gordon might be the best fit to get this team settled.  The season is over and the fact is they are not making the playoffs unless Messier and Gretzky somehow time warp to this season and play for the O&B.  

Right now I think the positive is that Gordon knows most of these players so hopefully he can fine-tune some of the lineup decisions that Hak could never get right.  Like getting Lundy off the 4th line and playing meaningful minutes...

This season is a total ****-show... with that said I wouldn't be shocked if Homer called up "one of the greatest hockey minds" and offered Berube his old job back.   This team is a disaster from top to bottom....   

I don't know if he is the right fit.

I am concerned how he likes to play vets like Hak did over the kids.

He did it all the time on the Phantoms.

And I think he will do it here.

Hey I hope to be wrong but he has to prove me wrong first.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't know if he is the right fit.

I am concerned how he likes to play vets like Hak did over the kids.

He did it all the time on the Phantoms.

And I think he will do it here.

Hey I hope to be wrong but he has to prove me wrong first.

Completely understand your hesitation.   At this point I am not sure what to expect other than being a lost season.  

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Completely understand your hesitation.   At this point I am not sure what to expect other than being a lost season.  

I found this a posted this earlier in the year but no one responded. Could this help?

http://insideahlhockey.com/article/could-scott-gordons-unorthodox-penalty-killing-system-work-in-the-nhl

What the hell maybe it could.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I found this a posted this earlier in the year but no one responded. Could this help?

http://insideahlhockey.com/article/could-scott-gordons-unorthodox-penalty-killing-system-work-in-the-nhl

What the hell maybe it could.

Interesting.... can't get much worse!!! LOL....

16 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Interesting.... can't get much worse!!! LOL....

That is what I am saying they are already dragging the bottom.

Might as well try it.

I wonder if he has enough time to teach them this new way.

I have to say I will be going home and turning in tonight because I just want to see if all this is going to make a change.

Or is it just more rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I would love nothing more than to see Hart seize this opportunity and show yeah great goaltending does help a lot.

#fingerscrossed

The fact that Quenville has not been hired yet by either the Flyers or Blues is quite telling.  To me its either him wanting too much damn money, which I am sure of.  And many do not think he is the right guy now days.  Put me in that category.  Other guys will be available later, and love him or hate him, Ruff is one name that to me is a solid one. If not Philly then St Louis. Ted Nolan to me would be another. I am sure the AHL has plenty of good candidates also

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So this is per Eklund so take it for what is worth but with leaky Homer in charge it could be true...doesn't make much sense but what do I know???

While Coach Q wants to come to Philly, I am hearing the Flyers may hire Quenneville in a different capacity for the rest of this season and then transitioned to coach next year....This allows Quenneville to spend time with and not move his family...

Also...for those concerned that Quenneville could be having second thoughts because he has seen the Flyers somewhat awkward handling of everything over the last month...Quenneville isn’t going to NOT come to Philly because of this craziness. Understand he knows this craziness has more to do with the Flyers catering to what he want than how they would normally handle personel moves..

Kind of a reasonable explanation/approach, actually.  Makes some sense.  I seem to recall that at least one of the early tweets/posts said that it wasn't clear in what capacity Quenneville would join the Flyers.

Edited to add: On second thought: doesn't this seem like a bit of a mess?  Bring Quenneville in as an "executive coach" or "senior advisor"?  I suppose it ties him up now, which is good, but how does that functionally work?  I suppose I don't care as long as he is coaching next year and not Gordon.

2 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Actually, of that crew, he is often the one that has the most reasoned point of view.  While I think he's a little too heavy on fancy stats, at least he thinks before he opens his mouth.  I also think he's gotten better since moving to the Atlantic.

That said, he's not breaking new ground.  I think "Gordon is the coach and we expect him to be" is GM speak.  He can't really say anything else at this point for the reasons you suggest.  But, given the other discussions re: Quenneville, I do think they believe he will end up coaching the rest of the year.

14 hours ago, hf101 said:

As per Dave Issac...

I don't understand what the H.E. double hockey sticks this team is doing now.   They canned Hextall becasue he wouldn't commit to "winning now" and making moves to do so... but then they have no replacement set up for him and they have to start interviewing them.  WTF?   

So they finally get a guy in place whose most exciting qualification is that... well he's done it before.

And after a few weeks he finds a few things:  1) that the coach is a problem (which we could have told him) but ONLY THE HEAD COACH.  NOT THE GUYS IN CHARGE OF THE FOUNDERING PK AND PP UNITS????

So he decides to replace that coach (yay!) but once again... THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PREPARED.  So they bring up the AHL coach on an interim basis.

Great, so Gordon will take over while they iron out a contract with Q or with some other grade A awesome coach (I still like Keefe), right?  Nope. He's here through the rest of the season on a 51 game try out.  

Which says to me they're writing off the year at this point after the horrendous road trip. 

WTF?  What happened to the "win now" philosophy that got Hextall fired?  

2 hours ago, vis said:

Actually, of that crew, he is often the one that has the most reasoned point of view.  While I think he's a little too heavy on fancy stats, at least he thinks before he opens his mouth.  I also think he's gotten better since moving to the Atlantic.

That said, he's not breaking new ground.  I think "Gordon is the coach and we expect him to be" is GM speak.  He can't really say anything else at this point for the reasons you suggest.  But, given the other discussions re: Quenneville, I do think they believe he will end up coaching the rest of the year.

I agree on Charlie.  The other three have become almost unlistenable at this point.  

In fact, I guess i'm realizing I've kinda stopped listening.  It's like they're all annoyed they have to be there and forget their reasoning from a week prior pretty regularly because they're so pissed at the team. 

The whole thing just kinda stinks of spastically poor management.  Just chaos and no one thinking anything through before pulling very big triggers.  

God, I really truly hate Homer.  I really do.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I don't understand what the H.E. double hockey sticks this team is doing now.   They canned Hextall becasue he wouldn't commit to "winning now" and making moves to do so... but then they have no replacement set up for him and they have to start interviewing them.  WTF?   

So they finally get a guy in place whose most exciting qualification is that... well he's done it before.

And after a few weeks he finds a few things:  1) that the coach is a problem (which we could have told him) but ONLY THE HEAD COACH.  NOT THE GUYS IN CHARGE OF THE FOUNDERING PK AND PP UNITS????

So he decides to replace that coach (yay!) but once again... THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PREPARED.  So they bring up the AHL coach on an interim basis.

Great, so Gordon will take over while they iron out a contract with Q or with some other grade A awesome coach (I still like Keefe), right?  Nope. He's here through the rest of the season on a 51 game try out.  

Which says to me they're writing off the year at this point after the horrendous road trip. 

WTF?  What happened to the "win now" philosophy that got Hextall fired?  

So apparently the plan was not to fire Hak at this time. That's what Boruk (iirc) said this morning. However, Hak asked Fletcher yesterday morning for a vote of confidence, and Fletcher could not give him one, so he was left with no choice but to let him go, hence no ready replacement or a press release.

What a joke.

In any case, if that is true, good for Hak. He pushed the issue and basically told them, "You either want me here or you don't, and I don't have time to be your patsy until you get all your ducks lined up." Seriously, he was a dead man walking the moment Hexy was fired, and then all these leaks come out, and the team on the ice is displaying the most pathetic hockey in the National Hockey League, but Fletcher had no plans on canning him yesterday? 

That is in direct conflict with everything else we have heard over the past 48 hours. 

Something stinks, and I'm just really disillusioned with the organization's management right now. 

Honestly, nothing they've done has made any sense. Greenberg was saying that Hextall was apparently all in on Tavares - max offer - and tried to sign Stastny. And when that didn't work, he went for JVR and stayed the course with the rest of the team in the absence of a deal that made sense. 

The more this goes on and the more that comes out, the more I can see that Hextall was the only thing in this organization that brought any sense of stability and coherence. He certainly wasn't perfect, but my goodness, he was at least professional.

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

So apparently the plan was not to fire Hak at this time. That's what Boruk (iirc) said this morning. However, Hak asked Fletcher yesterday morning for a vote of confidence, and Fletcher could not give him one, so he was left with no choice but to let him go, hence no ready replacement or a press release.

What a joke.

In any case, if that is true, good for Hak. He pushed the issue and basically told them, "You either want me here or you don't, and I don't have time to be your patsy until you get all your ducks lined up." Seriously, he was a dead man walking the moment Hexy was fired, and then all these leaks come out, and the team on the ice is displaying the most pathetic hockey in the National Hockey League, but Fletcher had no plans on canning him yesterday? 

That is in direct conflict with everything else we have heard over the past 48 hours. 

Something stinks, and I'm just really disillusioned with the organization's management right now. 

Honestly, nothing they've done has made any sense. Greenberg was saying that Hextall was apparently all in on Tavares - max offer - and tried to sign Stastny. And when that didn't work, he went for JVR and stayed the course with the rest of the team in the absence of a deal that made sense. 

The more this goes on and the more that comes out, the more I can see that Hextall was the only thing in this organization that brought any sense of stability and coherence. He certainly wasn't perfect, but my goodness, he was at least professional.

Seriously. Aside from firing the coach, I really don't know what management wanted him to do 20 games in that wasn't going to cost them more than they'd get in return. If he really went after Tavares and Statsny, I don't know what more he could have tried in the offseason. 

Re: the mess of a firing, I can totally see the Flyers planning to can him, then not being able to square away the details. They then pull back on the plan, but the news has already leaked out. Hak's getting phone calls about it on the plane, goes in to Fletcher and says, "I can't deal with this anymore. Either keep me or fire me, but this is nuts," and then finally they pull the trigger. Makes sense from the dots that have been laid out.

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I agree on Charlie.  The other three have become almost unlistenable at this point.  

It's like a live reading of the comments on the worst Flyers message board. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

The whole thing just kinda stinks of spastically poor management.  Just chaos and no one thinking anything through before pulling very big triggers.  

God, I really truly hate Homer.  I really do.

Agree, but not sure if it's Homer or Dave Scott.  There were kind of this way with Snyder around as well.  After Snyder's passing, I think Comcast was probably content leaving the hockey guys (i.e. Holmgren and Hextall) alone until this year when the fan sentiment and financial performance took a downturn - especially after shelling out big $$$ to refurbish the Wells Fargo Center.  I don't mean to absolve Holmgren, though.  I don't get the sense that he is able to push back against the business guys.

Archived