Berglund likely finished with the Sabres

Buffalo Rick

7 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

But there is likely more to this than we know

We know that STL basically screwed him on his No Trade Clause and by inference that apparently Buffalo would have been on a no-trade list.

Be interesting to see if anyone picks him up. The contract isn't terrible and he can be a 20-goal scorer. His attitude might cost him, though. And it should.

Housley obviously had issues with him. Not sure what they were. Doesn't really matter now.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

Crazy, wow - gave up a ton of cash.

Like Rick said there's likely more to this story.

I don't get running away from a team sitting in a guaranteed playoff spot (at the moment) AND effectively paying $12M to do it, while the team you were upset you left is next to last in the division and third to last in the Conference.

But, to each their own, eh?

33 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He'd be a good pick up...and trade for picks at the deadline!

Yeah, I'm waiting for something like Arizona or a real bottom feeder like the Blues to pick him up off waivers.

😎

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/patrik-berglund-walks-away-from-12-5-million-as-his-rocky-buffalo-sabres-tenure-ends/

I believe Housley made a big mistake on this.  Berglund could have helped us. He will help someone else. Regardless of the money.  

TECHNICALLY, you should be right.
Berglund SHOULD have been able to help the Sabres.

However, if, like you say, there is more to the story (and I think there is too), and he really didn't want to be there, or if for whatever reason he wasn't getting along with the coach, teammates, whatever..... then "help" coming from him was very unlikely at that point, and the team actually did the best thing it could, and that is "remove the contaminant" before any of the toxic stuff permeates the locker room.

Buffalo has a good thing they are building and the LAST thing they need to derail things are a disgruntled player or a player that just isn't buying in.
I expect Berglund would be able to help another club if they give him a fair shot and if he is interested in actually playing hockey.

Personally, I don't think he is a top six NHL'er, but he'd make an almost elite 3rd liner and that wouldn't be a bad thing for most teams.

As for Housely...look...you criticized him, yet here he is getting all your boys rowing in the same direction. Guys are working together, gaining experience as a group, realizing they can only go UP from here, and actually winning games during the process.
If Berglund was a square peg in a round hole, and Housely realized that, then kudos to the coach for keeping him away from the lineup.

Sometimes success in hockey is all about "the right fit" even moreso than raw skill.....and whatever the reasons for it are, Berglund doesn't seem to be a fit with the Sabres.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:28 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

TECHNICALLY, you should be right.
Berglund SHOULD have been able to help the Sabres.

However, if, like you say, there is more to the story (and I think there is too), and he really didn't want to be there, or if for whatever reason he wasn't getting along with the coach, teammates, whatever..... then "help" coming from him was very unlikely at that point, and the team actually did the best thing it could, and that is "remove the contaminant" before any of the toxic stuff permeates the locker room.

Buffalo has a good thing they are building and the LAST thing they need to derail things are a disgruntled player or a player that just isn't buying in.
I expect Berglund would be able to help another club if they give him a fair shot and if he is interested in actually playing hockey.

Personally, I don't think he is a top six NHL'er, but he'd make an almost elite 3rd liner and that wouldn't be a bad thing for most teams.

As for Housely...look...you criticized him, yet here he is getting all your boys rowing in the same direction. Guys are working together, gaining experience as a group, realizing they can only go UP from here, and actually winning games during the process.
If Berglund was a square peg in a round hole, and Housely realized that, then kudos to the coach for keeping him away from the lineup.

Sometimes success in hockey is all about "the right fit" even moreso than raw skill.....and whatever the reasons for it are, Berglund doesn't seem to be a fit with the Sabres.

Housley did not give him a shot.  He put him in at limited ice time even early on.  Stupid move. Housley has gotten away with many stupid moves because he has talent on this team.  And guys that can play without him telling them what to do.  They did not just learn the damn game. They played in good leagues before this. I guess Botterill has more money to play with now in the FA dept?  I just hope Berglund goes back West. Or he may come back to bite us.  I loved him as a player and when that trade came down he was the guy I really was excited about.  NOW THIS CRAP.   Way to go Housley. One thing I will not forgive Housley for. If he finds a way to alienate Ristolainen.  Because of his pampering of Dahlin. Risto is just as good and is invaluable to the success of this team moving forward.  Must make up for the stinker in St Louis with  a home win over Boston tonight.

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, hf101 said:

Good read indeed.

Just goes to show you...no matter HOW MUCH certain "smart fans" think they are in the know, they know nothing.
That goes for so-called journalists, piss ant podcasters, bumbling bloggers, know-it-all pie faced forum posters, and anyone else who thinks just because they follow a team close enough, they know EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes....as if they sat down to dinners with team owners and got information first hand.

Anyways, there you have it.
Berglund himself said he lost his passion for the game (and NOT because Housely wasn't playing him) and needed time away from the game....maybe for good, who knows.... to straighten himself out.

I suspect St. Louis may have started to see that in him too and thus had no problem including him as part of that sizeable package for Ryan O'Reilly.

When you start not showing up for practices and just going through the motions on the ice when you do get a chance to play, well, that never ends well for any player.
No one can fault Phil Housely for disciplinary actions after things like that....discipline that even Berglund himself, according to this article, knew was right in line with what he deserved.

When a man walks away from the kind of money Berglund did, then the fact that he no longer had "passion" really can't be questioned.
Saw something similar in baseball when the Minnesota Twins got a guy from Japan (he was a batting champion in the Nippon Leagues when they signed him)….he played terribly, then started to "miss home" and just lost his enthusiasm for the game of baseball.

He ended up walking away from big money the Twins still owed him to go back home.

Hey, it happens.