Game 33: Predators at Flyers; 12/20 @7

Howie58

Nashville is a mild favorite; they are the top defense in the league while we are 28th:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/985233/nashville-predators-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-2018-12-20/

Nashville has won in Philly the last two years and Rinne plays well against us (6-2-2).  

http://www.espn.com/nhl/preview/_/gameId/401044852

Hopefully, we are as engaged as Monday.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is another take:  This is an interesting matchup in terms of Nashville's poor road performance, particularly at the end of the stretch, versus the Flyers' poor performance at home.  

https://sportschatplace.com/nhl-picks/2018/12/20/philadelphia-flyers-vs-nashville-predators-12/20/18-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

I guess that's why the spread on this game isn't overwhelmingly tilted toward the Preds, despite a much better record.

PROJECTED LINEUPS (Subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS 

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
17 Wayne Simmonds - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl
23 Oskar Lindblom - 44 Phil Varone - 22 Dale Weise

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 8 Robert Hägg
47 Andrew MacDonald - 3 Radko Gudas

79 Carter Hart
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: 15 Jori Lehterä (healthy), 40 Jordan Weal (healthy), 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 41 Anthony Stolarz (IR, lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

Predators

38 Ryan Hartman - 92 Ryan Johansen - 22 Kevin Fiala
19 Calle Järnkrok - 8 Kyle Turris - 15 Craig Smith
36 Zac Rinaldo - 13 Nick Bonino - 51 Austin Watson
20 Miikka Salomäki - 89 Frederick Gaudreau - 23 Rocco Grimaldi

59 Roman Josi - 4 Ryan Ellis
5 Dan Hamhuis - 14 Mattias Ekholm
2 Anthony Bitetto - 7 Yannick Weber

35 Pekka Rinne
[74 Juuse Saros]

Scratches:One of 36 Zac Rinaldo (healthy) or Colton Scissons (lower body), 52 Matt Irwin (healthy) 9 Filip Forsberg (IR, upper body), 76 P.K. Subban (IR, upper body), 33 Victor Arvidsson (IR, broken thumb).

I still do not get the whole "sign a 30-goal scorer and put him on the third line" line of thinking.

IMO, JVR on a line with Raffl centered by Laughton isn't going to get you the results that signing a "JVR type" should.

Is there some underachieving defenseman we can trade him for? 👺😎

55 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Flyers must win on Hartnall night ....

not gritty night .

Think Gordon has hitched his saddle on Hart..

going to ride him as long as possible ...

I really hope they're not going to ride Hart. I'm fine with him being up for a few games...I hope they don't run the kid into the ground just because they have no clue about goaltending.

I think it's interesting that Hextall asked Gordon if Hart was ready when they called up Stolarz, and Gordon said no. I doubt that Gordon will ride him into the ground if that's the case. 

11 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think it's interesting that Hextall asked Gordon if Hart was ready when they called up Stolarz, and Gordon said no. I doubt that Gordon will ride him into the ground if that's the case. 

no especially his age and the inexperienced defense and goalies getting hurt because of it, i dont want to take a chance. if they had a good experienced defense around hart, different story, which is something fletch needs to address at the TD or in the offseason.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I still do not get the whole "sign a 30-goal scorer and put him on the third line" line of thinking.

That and to put Simmer on his off wing which i don't ever even recall him trying and doing well when JVR is a natural LW.

It would seem JVR, Patrick and Voracek would be the best line combo on the 2nd.

Raffl at LW with Laughton and Simmer at RW. Raffl has played both wings well.

Oh f**k it what do i know.....i need my coffee.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

Actually going tonight. Hoping the effort is good against a depleted Preds team.

I'm jealous i hope you get to witness a great team effort for the win.

This team could be soooooo much better if the could just consistently just score one power play a game i would take that as a good improvement. Yeah one pure game is asking a lot but they do need to get it going.

But on paper they have the talent to easily be a top 10 power play in this league....they just need to start finding the twine.

It actually seems like the PK has made some improvements. And a solid goalie can make the difference.

I would love to get Hart the win tonight.

53 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

they are depleted but they do what very good teams do.... they just keep winning. 

And they are coming off a loss to the Blackhawks...seems like they are struggling to score lately.

I hope it's a good game and the team comes to play for 60. 

Go Flyers!!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

This was the lineup at practice this morning....

Maybe he wants to get one more look at Patrick with Giroux?? Then he could deploy Coots in his defensive role maybe.

Gordon typically does not use the lines in games that he uses for practice.  Same with the Phantoms...   

46 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Gordon typically does not use the lines in games that he uses for practice.  Same with the Phantoms...   

Yeah I suspected this much I would be kind of upset with him to demote Konecny to the 3rd line kid has been a spark plug for the team offense.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This was the lineup at practice this morning....

Maybe he wants to get one more look at Patrick with Giroux?? Then he could deploy Coots in his defensive role maybe.

The lines were good last game, I thought. 

Why change up 3 of the lines?

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

Because Gordon always does this. He almost never runs practice with the lines he runs in game. Did it before the last game as well.

None of the lines, injuries, plot lines, or shuffling matter because Dedication Night is a guaranteed loss. 

On a side note, it would be really nice if we had one of those Teddy Bear donation-type nights, but being Hartnell Dedication night, everyone came with a pair of gloves and threw them onto the ice and they were then donated to a Philly shelters because it's cold out there. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Plus maybe it is so guys can work on chemistry in case of penalties mess stuff up a little and lines get jumbled.

Archived