We do not owe anyone anything after 06, 99, and 75

Buffalo Rick

I have seen my Sabres robbed of Cups and Cups going to warm weather  cities that do not deserve them.  Carolina stole one from us as did Dallas. So if Botterill can make a move to give us a run earlier than expected, take not of this, especially you TFG, WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY OUR DUES, WE ALREADY HAVE!!!!  GOT IT?

I do not know if we have a goalie that is good enough?  I do not know if we have enough seasoned kids on the second and third lines to hang in there with the likes of Tampa and Toronto, but if we were to upset one of them, good for us. This pay your dues mentality I agree with in some cases.  It was total BS that Quebec had to give their Cup to the city of Denver.  What a joke.  Quebec Nordiques.  Remember them?  That team actually won the Cup back when Colorado was raising the flag to the rafters. The Cup belongs to Quebec City.  And if and when the Sabres win, and I believe they will, I will not feel guilty no matter the timing, the circumstances or the victim.  The Leafs deserve to win one also IMO.  They have certainly paid their dues and have won many but people born since the baby boom era do not remember it. I remember bits and pieces of the 67 feed on a black and white zenith with rabbit ears. I can name practicallyt the entire Montreal team of those days but not the Leafs and their Sawchuck teams. 

LET GO BUFF A LO!!!!!  

9 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I have seen my Sabres robbed of Cups and Cups going to warm weather  cities that do not deserve them.  Carolina stole one from us as did Dallas. So if Botterill can make a move to give us a run earlier than expected, take not of this, especially you TFG, WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY OUR DUES, WE ALREADY HAVE!!!!  GOT IT?

I do not know if we have a goalie that is good enough?  I do not know if we have enough seasoned kids on the second and third lines to hang in there with the likes of Tampa and Toronto, but if we were to upset one of them, good for us. This pay your dues mentality I agree with in some cases.  It was total BS that Quebec had to give their Cup to the city of Denver.  What a joke.  Quebec Nordiques.  Remember them?  That team actually won the Cup back when Colorado was raising the flag to the rafters. The Cup belongs to Quebec City.  And if and when the Sabres win, and I believe they will, I will not feel guilty no matter the timing, the circumstances or the victim.  The Leafs deserve to win one also IMO.  They have certainly paid their dues and have won many but people born since the baby boom era do not remember it. I remember bits and pieces of the 67 feed on a black and white zenith with rabbit ears. I can name practicallyt the entire Montreal team of those days but not the Leafs and their Sawchuck teams. 

LET GO BUFF A LO!!!!!  

Your head coach Phil Housley played 1495 games in the NHL and never won a cup. It may not happen this year, but,

He's certainly paid his dues....

So has the city of Buffalo(remember the Bills)...

Go Sabres!

43 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

LET GO BUFF A LO!!!!!  

Let go of what? 

I'd say let it go Rick. 

As for Buffalo not owing anyone...I ordered some wings last time I was there and I'm pretty sure I got a lame count. So ya, Buffalo owes ME...big time!

PS. TFG, stop being such a meanie. :sarcasm:

Great rant, HJ.

I really don't think anyone is discounting what the Sabres are building there, however, this belief they can just "step in" and win a Cup without the growing pains that normally goes along with having very young players and many unproven players playing significant minutes is simply near sighted.

Sure, the Sabres CAN go into the playoffs, upset some teams, and hell, who knows, maybe even "steal" a Cup.... oh but wait, you aren't on board with teams "stealing" Cups. That is a no-no for you...how dare those Carolina Hurricanes outplay everyone else and "steal" that Cup in 06!

The Buffalo Sabres for sure have a gripe with the 99 Finals but really....what does that situation and that Buffalo roster have to do with your current one?
So, because the 99 Sabres could have possibly been Cup champs, that means the 18-19 Sabres magically inherit their standing and spirit, their experience, and therefore it is nonsense that they have to "learn to win" in today's NHL?

Look, believe it or not, I actually LIKE Buffalo...have for many years.
But given their rebuild and the fresh batch of faces on the team (talented as they may be), they STILL have to "pay their dues" in learning to win to properly be considered a yearly contender.....otherwise, if Buffalo just up and steals one, according to your logic, they'd be no better than those 06 Hurricanes who had the AUDACITY to win a Cup when they ran through everyone.

I mean, really, if you are gonna go on about past disappointments for the city of Buffalo, and say "dues have already been paid", well, then you will have to include the Philadelphia Flyers in that as well....they may actually have paid MORE dues than the Sabres seeing as how they have iced better hockey teams more consistently than the Sabres have over the years with STILL nothing to show for it since the 70's.
And I feel THEIR new group has to pay their dues as well.

You are a super fan, I get it...hell, you've been calling for a Buffalo - St. Louis Finals as long as I have been on this site....and keep doing it, eventually you will be right... :bigteeth:

But yea, no matter how you slice it, no matter what past disappointments Buffalo has had, it really has no bearing on this current group of players on the Sabres.
They are talented, they can play, they are for real......BUT, they are NO exception to the rule where they still have to learn to win, and learn to win on the big stage... I.E. the playoffs.

And if somehow, Botteril can keep the main core together while continuing to add and/or keep winning veterans, then a Cup becomes a realistic goal.
Until then, yea, your team's gotta pay dem dues...….. you don't want to be like those "pathetic" 06 Carolina Hurricanes, do ya? :shifty:

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Let go of what? 

I'd say let it go Rick. 

As for Buffalo not owing anyone...I ordered some wings last time I was there and I'm pretty sure I got a lame count. So ya, Buffalo owes ME...big time!

PS. TFG, stop being such a meanie:sarcasm:

Look, I grew up with three brothers, all much bigger than I am, who taught me if I didn't want to end up with the crumbs, I better stop being so nice...
So I am a product of my environment, ok??? 😎

7 hours ago, sweetshot said:

Your head coach Phil Housley played 1495 games in the NHL and never won a cup. It may not happen this year, but,

He's certainly paid his dues....

So has the city of Buffalo(remember the Bills)...

Go Sabres!

Amen brother!!!!

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Let go of what? 

I'd say let it go Rick. 

PS. TFG, stop being such a meanie. :sarcasm:

My problem with her is something she said near the end of our 10 game win streak.  Like to the effect that "you have to pay your dues" and the Sabres are too young and not battle tested enough to even think about a kick at the can so soon.  Well I understand what she is saying, and I would normally agree, like with Las Vegas last year.   But not with Buffalo.  A hockey town in every sense of the word.  A true hockey town.  Unlike Tampa. Tampa is not a hockey town.  Minnesota, where she lives, IS.  I doubt we have the horses or at least horses that are developed enough yet to actually get it done. And the goalie is a big question. But if by some miracle they pull off a "Vegas", I am not going to feel guilty.  Especially after jerks like Hull go around carving pumpkins of the "in the crease" goal that he sucked out.

Archived