Dumba Out Long Term

hf101

According to Michael Russo Dumba's UBI is significant and he could be out several weeks if not months if surgically repaired, which would be a huge loss.  My thinking this is a shoulder issue although that is completely speculative and the Wild aren't making any statements as of yet but it seems it happened in this fight with Tkachuk.    The Wild as they have dropped their last 3 games and now seem to now lack any offensive spark since the injury.  

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really where i couldn't tell and it didn't seem that way afterwards.

I'm thinking left shoulder which was torqued back at the 31 sec mark.

• hf101 changed the title to Dumba Out Long Term

Well, regarding Dumba, I have a top four D for ya...
Drat, Darn, Doh, and Dammit

Not sure what "significant time" is, but surgery in season is never a good sign, we are nearing the halfway point of the season, and this could very well sink the Wild's playoff chances.

I know Mat Dumba is not the be all end all to the team's success, but he sure is big, big part of it, and frankly, the Wild simply don't have the depth to absorb a loss of a player like Mat Dumba for very long.
I feel there are a few players on this team that Minnesota simply CANNOT do without for long stretches or important times (like playoffs!!) due to the team not being as deep as some others...

Devan Dubnyk, Zach Parise, Jason Zucker, Mikael Granlund, Ryan Suter, and yes, Mat Dumba.
Unlike teams like Winnipeg , Tampa Bay, Nashville.... the Minnesota Wild just don't have players that can step in and fill in reasonably well for long stretches for the above mentioned players. They  just don't.

I won't give up on the team this year, but I gotta say, I really don't like their chances to make the post season without Dumba on board...and should the Wild suffer ANOTHER big injury to one of the above mentioned players....you can completely forget any playoffs, or even a .500 record.

All because Mat Dumba got jumped for making a clean (albeit it big) hit on an opposing player......
What's next..... guys getting jumped for scoring backbreaking goals against the other team?
Seems that is where we are headed with the egos some of these players are toting around....

22 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

Major bummer! It'll be interesting to see if all the fans who dislike him will realize how significant this is.

I would think even people who AREN'T big fans of his would see that he is a big missing piece.

Can't see how missing the league's leading D-man goal scorer makes a team better.
Like I said before, the Wild simply do not have the depth to replace what Dumba has been bringing offensively this year.

As for defensively, yea, his game there still needs work, but anyone who has followed him from the time he was brought up and seen how his NHL game has matured knows that he is head n shoulders above where he started defensively...and given his age and work ethic to his craft, can only get better.... D-men don't mature till their mid to late 20's anyways.

Maybe if guys like Spurgeon and Suter step up their games to make up for some of MD's offense....but we already know what Suter and Spurge are..... and their skillset is quite different than MD's....and NOT likely to be able to make up for the missing numbers.

Jonas Brodin is the only other possible D-man with perhaps the offensive capabilities to make up the difference, and we all know he just isn't inclined that way.

Really, really tough break for the MD and the Wild.

I don't think the defense needs to step up to replace Dumba's offense. They just need to play tighter defense, cut down on allowing scoring opportunities for the other team. Make the safe, smart play rather than trying to force an offensive opportunity.

The guys that need to step up are guys like Coyle, Niederreiter, Zucker and Eriksson-Ek.

Coyle's on pace for 38 points. Last season missing a significant portion of the season Coyle had 37 points.

Niederreitter's on pace for 43 points. Last season he had 32 points, also missing a significant portion of the season.

Zucker is on pace for 47 points. Last season he had 64 points.

Eriksson-Ek is on pace for 12 points. Last season he had 16.

These are the guys that need to step up offensively in a big way, not the defense.

@IllaZilla

You make some good points, of course, however, the part about the team playing tighter defense FROM the defenseman, well, that should have been happening all along...with or without MD in the lineup!

My point was that Dumba has been the catalyst on offense from the blue line and that there are very few options Minnesota has to replace what he was bringing to the team...the closest being Spurgeon, Suter, or Brodin.

Well, Brodin simply is NOT going to bring the kind of offense Dumba offered....Spurgeon has an outside chance to do so (he has been an offensive type defenseman in the past...not sure what is going on with him this year), while Suter should continue to be the all around defender, perhaps chip in with assists, but not expecting consistent goals from him either.

And NONE of those guys are going to bring the combination of offense, physical play, and that 'attitude and swagger' that Dumba brought to the rink each and every game.

That the team has to make smart, tight defensive plays is ABSOLUTELY important....but not because of Dumba's absence.... that is supposed to be a staple of the team no matter WHO is in or out on the blue line.

As for the forwards, yes, the guys you mentioned, it would be nice if they finally got their Minnys out of their St. Pauls and got to work finally!

I mean, if the Wild aren't going to have that added dimension of offense from the defense like they had when MD was in there, at least they could offset it by having the guys you mentioned come alive....particularly Zuck, Nino, and Chawwwlie.

EEK? I don't have hopes, at least not this year, that he is suddenly going to wake up offensively. He may never be a consistent scoring threat in his career....he just hasn't shown me that in his game.

Not saying he can't be a valued member of the Wild moving forward, but I think ultimately, his value will be measured in other things like winning face offs, possessing and KEEPING the puck out of the hands of the opposition, applying pressure on the goalie and defense by constantly peppering with shots (even though many may not go in...always a chance for rebounds for teammates)… basically more defensive oriented type stuff.

He is tough to judge still because he is only 21.....maybe in 3 or 4 years we could see a very different, much better player...but I just don't see him "stepping up" suddenly this year to help offset Dumba's loss.

22 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@IllaZilla

You make some good points, of course, however, the part about the team playing tighter defense FROM the defenseman, well, that should have been happening all along...with or without MD in the lineup!

My point was that Dumba has been the catalyst on offense from the blue line and that there are very few options Minnesota has to replace what he was bringing to the team...the closest being Spurgeon, Suter, or Brodin.

Well, Brodin simply is NOT going to bring the kind of offense Dumba offered....Spurgeon has an outside chance to do so (he has been an offensive type defenseman in the past...not sure what is going on with him this year), while Suter should continue to be the all around defender, perhaps chip in with assists, but not expecting consistent goals from him either.

And NONE of those guys are going to bring the combination of offense, physical play, and that 'attitude and swagger' that Dumba brought to the rink each and every game.

That the team has to make smart, tight defensive plays is ABSOLUTELY important....but not because of Dumba's absence.... that is supposed to be a staple of the team no matter WHO is in or out on the blue line.

As for the forwards, yes, the guys you mentioned, it would be nice if they finally got their Minnys out of their St. Pauls and got to work finally!

I mean, if the Wild aren't going to have that added dimension of offense from the defense like they had when MD was in there, at least they could offset it by having the guys you mentioned come alive....particularly Zuck, Nino, and Chawwwlie.

EEK? I don't have hopes, at least not this year, that he is suddenly going to wake up offensively. He may never be a consistent scoring threat in his career....he just hasn't shown me that in his game.

Not saying he can't be a valued member of the Wild moving forward, but I think ultimately, his value will be measured in other things like winning face offs, possessing and KEEPING the puck out of the hands of the opposition, applying pressure on the goalie and defense by constantly peppering with shots (even though many may not go in...always a chance for rebounds for teammates)… basically more defensive oriented type stuff.

He is tough to judge still because he is only 21.....maybe in 3 or 4 years we could see a very different, much better player...but I just don't see him "stepping up" suddenly this year to help offset Dumba's loss.

And that's just it, isn't it? The rest of the defensive corps is what it is. Suter has some offense as does Spurgeon. But now your asking these two to increase on 50 point and 35+ point seasons. Brodin is on pace for his usual 20-25 points. Maybe there is some room for him to pick up the slack, but I'm not holding my breath. When the Wild drafted him a ton of Swedish fanboys came on the old Wild boards and were singing his praises and telling us how lucky we were to have drafted the next Niklas Lidstrom. Based on what he's done so far the only "Nik" I'd compare him to is Nick Schultz. And I wouldn't count on anything from Pateryn, Seeler or Prosser. To me, those guys are in the "even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally" bucket. I just don't think the defense can really "step up" any more.

Which is why it is imperative for Coyle, Nino and Zucker to start burying all these chances Dumb and Dumber claim the Wild have been having. And they're just not doing it. You know what Parise, Staal, and Koivu are going to contribute. Coyle, Nino, and Zucker simply aren't pulling their weight.

I threw Eriksson-Ek in there because he's one of the younger players. But he'll never be a scorer. He's never scored 10 goals at any level of play. Not sure what the Wild saw in him beyond their usual "He's a boy playing among men and holding his own" mantra.

I've been out of the loop a bit - but Mikko with 4 goals and 17 assists - whoa...  And Nino with 7 goals but a -14... What the hell...

Shame about Dumba...  With Zach on fire - wonder how much more pounding he can endure before something goes wrong prior to playoffs like the past couple...  

I watched them a few games back against Montreal - and they looked very very good...  

18 hours ago, Confrontational said:

I've been out of the loop a bit .......

I watched them a few games back against Montreal - and they looked very very good...  

Maybe you have the right idea. Just back away for a while. :D 

I feel bad for Dumba and yet a bit pissed at him and really the whole 'incident', AKA the clean hit.. It wasn't his job.

Sure he knew he was going to get into it with someone, But did he think he could get some shots in and look good?

Sounds a bit cocky to me and he needed to understand he's more important to the team than doing that.

Fenton has an interesting problem which I'll bet he wasn't looking for any big D signings before this.

A ruptured pectoral muscle.  That doesn't sound fun and I think the 3-month prognosis is kind of optimistic.  The funny thing; at least at this point the Wild don't seem to be in any hurry to call someone up from Iowa.  But the fact no defenseman on Iowa is really burying many goals this season might have something to do with that.  They probably figure it won't matter enough to make the move worthwhile.  We're probably hoping for some waiver-wire pick up.  Yet there is a lot of right-shot defenseman on the farm...just saying.  

31 minutes ago, 63firebird said:

How would you arrange the PP?

Wild's lack of shooters has been blatantly obvious for a long time. Now the best shooter is out. One has to replace Dumba's cannon and (plus movement and puck handling skills). Via trade? Someone of our current forwards taking his place?

1 hour ago, 63firebird said:

How would you arrange the PP?

Get Koivu off the ice during PP's. I've seen puck hogs before but no one wastes more PP time on the ice than the Captain. Suter is #2. No one on the PP moves any slower than he does.

Don't be putting Brodin out there either. He's like a Suter clone during his first year here with zero clue how to be effective on the PP.

Spurgeon & Granlund on the blueline.

Zucker - Staal - Fehr. About the only three guys on the roster not afraid of their own shadow. They don't get INTIMIDATED! If a player seems timid or gets intimidated easy; send their asses to grandma's so she can stuff their faces with milk and cookies. Hell, do anything with them just keep their asses off the ice. The short-list includes: Koivu, Suter, Coyle, Nino, Greenway, Ek, Kunin & Hendricks.

Hell, put Brown out there (at least he doesn't sh!t his pants when an opponent tries to check him - he skates through it) and deserves a shot. I'd play just about anyone else on the roster before those yellow turds (listed above.)

Post the sh!t list in the locker room and dare the players on it to get off the pot and prove they aren't chicken sh!ts. Make them wear a yellow ribbon.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:23 PM, rottenrefs said:

Get Koivu off the ice during PP's. I've seen puck hogs before but no one wastes more PP time on the ice than the Captain. Suter is #2. No one on the PP moves any slower than he does.

Don't be putting Brodin out there either. He's like a Suter clone during his first year here with zero clue how to be effective on the PP.

Spurgeon & Granlund on the blueline.

Zucker - Staal - Fehr. About the only three guys on the roster not afraid of their own shadow. They don't get INTIMIDATED! If a player seems timid or gets intimidated easy; send their asses to grandma's so she can stuff their faces with milk and cookies. Hell, do anything with them just keep their asses off the ice. The short-list includes: Koivu, Suter, Coyle, Nino, Greenway, Ek, Kunin & Hendricks.

Hell, put Brown out there (at least he doesn't sh!t his pants when an opponent tries to check him - he skates through it) and deserves a shot. I'd play just about anyone else on the roster before those yellow turds (listed above.)

Post the sh!t list in the locker room and dare the players on it to get off the pot and prove they aren't chicken sh!ts. Make them wear a yellow ribbon.

I read this like Audra Martin was asking Wes Walz this. :P Those answers would make for a finally decent between periods bit.

#4 I agree, This would force the PP to change since Granny is the QB along the wall currently. Even tho I want him to shoot more, This would give him more options to set up others since he's about the only one who can do so.

Archived