Rick Jeanneret taken out of arena

Buffalo Rick

10 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/22/rick-jeanneret-taken-from-arena-during-sabres-broadcast/

Ruxpin's report was accurate.  I hope the old boy is OK.  

Prayers going out for Rick and his loved ones. In this very boring era of sports broadcasters, he stands out large, a good thing.

4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Prayers going out for Rick and his loved ones. In this very boring era of sports broadcasters, he stands out large, a good thing.

Thanks for that as I agree totally.  Though of course he is biased and a die hard Sabres fan, he is a Canadien citizen and lives in Ontario and is not a resident of Buffalo as are many of past and present Sabres and Bills.  But he is close to all of them and us.  I hope things are OK but I wonder how they can be with the lack of any word?  At Christmas time makes it even more to think about.  Sports is sports, and life and faith are far more important.

Had the opportunity to meet him about 8-9 years ago. We talked hockey of course and he has some great “stories from the road”.

RJ is a true icon in WNY and he has all of our thoughts and prayers!

good news - 

BUFFALO, N.Y. (December 23, 2018) --- Sabres broadcaster Rick Jeanneret, who was hospitalized at Buffalo General Medical Center last night, is resting and doing well. On behalf of Rick and his family, we’d like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Rick looks forward to being back in the booth after the break.  http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/a-health-update-on-rick-jeanneret?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Had the opportunity to meet him about 8-9 years ago. We talked hockey of course and he has some great “stories from the road”.

RJ is a true icon in WNY and he has all of our thoughts and prayers!

I do not get how the Sabres could not say something on the air last night?  They ignored Tweets I hear and gave no news, but I could see Dunn who took over the broadcast duties after play stopped and Rob Rays 3 minute broadcasting career came to an end, was a bit shaken. .  He tried to call the play by play.  "Well, Anaheim has the puck"  No kidding.  Ray was at rink side when he was told to take over the play by play.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Finally news that he is doing well 

Here is another link.... says pretty much the same that the link posted by @hf101 posted...perhaps with just a bit more detail.
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Sabres-broadcaster-doing-well-after-being-13487263.php?src=rss

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I do not get how the Sabres could not say something on the air last night?  They ignored Tweets I hear and gave no news, but I could see Dunn who took over the broadcast duties after play stopped and Rob Rays 3 minute broadcasting career came to an end, was a bit shaken. .  He tried to call the play by play.  "Well, Anaheim has the puck"  No kidding.  Ray was at rink side when he was told to take over the play by play.

Probably a privacy issue.
That, and I am sure they wanted to get the facts correct before making any public announcements.

No sense in someone putting out that "He had a heart attack, or a stroke", then it turns out to be false.
You know how the media is...not all of them, but some will just roll with whatever they think will sell them readers or clicks or whatever...some just have no scruples and will print or post whatever sounds "read worthy".....so understandable that the Sabres organization would want to treat this and handle this the right way.

And again, could simply be a privacy issue and the Sabres are respecting Jeanneret's family's wishes that things be kept hush until they feel the time is right to say anything.
He may be a public figure, but the family still has a reasonable right to privacy.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Here is another link.... says pretty much the same that the link posted by @hf101 posted...perhaps with just a bit more detail.
From the San Francisco Chronicle:

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Sabres-broadcaster-doing-well-after-being-13487263.php?src=rss

Wow you know how to surf the internet very well.  SF.  Hard to believe they are on top of East coast events

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Probably a privacy issue.
That, and I am sure they wanted to get the facts correct before making any public announcements.

No sense in someone putting out that "He had a heart attack, or a stroke", then it turns out to be false.
You know how the media is...not all of them, but some will just roll with whatever they think will sell them readers or clicks or whatever...some just have no scruples and will print or post whatever sounds "read worthy".....so understandable that the Sabres organization would want to treat this and handle this the right way.

And again, could simply be a privacy issue and the Sabres are respecting Jeanneret's family's wishes that things be kept hush until they feel the time is right to say anything.
He may be a public figure, but the family still has a reasonable right to privacy.

I was thinking that the lack of news was bad in this case.  IE, if he had not made it, have to inform family first. I wonder if they will have reservations about putting him on in the future?  I now his status in the community and with the team but I doubt they liked last nights Rob Ray debacle.  I mean, Rob is a good commentator but not play by play man.

You know I think hockey is the toughest of all sports to  call the play by play in for sure.

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Wow you know how to surf the internet very well.  SF.  Hard to believe they are on top of East coast events

Meh, in this day and age of open information, you can be on top of anything just about anywhere in the world.

I have tickets to the German paper Luftwaffe parade in February...… taking the kids. 
Found out about it in a North Dakota newspaper, for instance...….   :ph34r:

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Meh, in this day and age of open information, you can be on top of anything just about anywhere in the world.

I have tickets to the German paper Luftwaffe parade in February...… taking the kids. 
Found out about it in a North Dakota newspaper, for instance...….   :ph34r:

True.  Its incredible the sites you can go to. Overseas and such.  Helps if  you can read German or Chinese I guess.

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I was thinking that the lack of news was bad in this case.  IE, if he had not made it, have to inform family first. I wonder if they will have reservations about putting him on in the future?  I now his status in the community and with the team but I doubt they liked last nights Rob Ray debacle.  I mean, Rob is a good commentator but not play by play man.

You know I think hockey is the toughest of all sports to  call the play by play in for sure.

According to the bits n pieces I have read, including the link I showed you, he is actually quite anxious to get back on the air.
And if I remember right, pre-season, he was talking about wanting to do play by play for at least another two seasons before retiring.
Granted, he will be doing a reduced schedule....not 82 games....somewhere in the 40 or so range.

Guy loves what he does!

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

True.  Its incredible the sites you can go to. Overseas and such.  Helps if  you can read German or Chinese I guess.

I was kidding about the Luftwaffe, HJ... lmao...
NOT kidding about being able to be on top of things worldwide in the internet, but yea...….the kids wouldn't enjoy a Nazi Germany airshow....  :bigteeth:

51 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

According to the bits n pieces I have read, including the link I showed you, he is actually quite anxious to get back on the air.
And if I remember right, pre-season, he was talking about wanting to do play by play for at least another two seasons before retiring.
Granted, he will be doing a reduced schedule....not 82 games....somewhere in the 40 or so range.

Guy loves what he does!

I think he is sticking around to see if the Sabres get another kick at the can before he leaves.  He knows they are getting better fast.  But will it be soon enough?

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I was kidding about the Luftwaffe, HJ... lmao...
NOT kidding about being able to be on top of things worldwide in the internet, but yea...….the kids wouldn't enjoy a Nazi Germany airshow....  :bigteeth:

I did not see the post.  Have a million things going on here to get ready for Xmas.  

@Hockey Junkie

Am watching a New York Rangers game and during one of their intermissions, they said Rick Jeanneret has checked out of the hospital, he is home, and may even be back in the broadcast booth after the Christmas break.

Thought you'd like to know.

They still haven't said anything about causes, but at least it looks like he will recover from whatever it was.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Hockey Junkie

Am watching a New York Rangers game and during one of their intermissions, they said Rick Jeanneret has checked out of the hospital, he is home, and may even be back in the broadcast booth after the Christmas break.

Thought you'd like to know.

They still haven't said anything about causes, but at least it looks like he will recover from whatever it was.

Thanks and you were right about the Blues.  I just felt we would not be ready for that game. It could have been much worse.  The score I mean

@Hockey Junkie

Rick Jeanneret back in the booth for tonight's home game against the Bruins, and I gotta tell ya...seems the guy hasn't lost any lung power.
Sabres scored short handed on the B's and his patented 'SCORRRRRRRRE" call didn't sound any the worse for wear.
He still got it apparently.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Hockey Junkie

Rick Jeanneret back in the booth for tonight's home game against the Bruins, and I gotta tell ya...seems the guy hasn't lost any lung power.
Sabres scored short handed on the B's and his patented 'SCORRRRRRRRE" call didn't sound any the worse for wear.
He still got it apparently.

Rob Ray asked him if he goes out on New Years Eve.  He said "Im too old".  Ray said what do you do?  "I go to bed" he replies.  Rob says, do you watch the ball drop?  "Not in 30 years says Rick".  "I watch the replay".

19 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Rob Ray asked him if he goes out on New Years Eve.  He said "Im too old".  Ray said what do you do?  "I go to bed" he replies.  Rob says, do you watch the ball drop?  "Not in 30 years says Rick".  "I watch the replay".

I heard that line... I actually laughed at that one... especially the replay part... 😃

Archived