And just like that...the ruff stuff is back!

hf101

It seems like fighting in the NHL was nearly extinct earlier in the season.   It definitely appeared as if there was a league influence to get fighting out of the game -- too many concussions - too many injuries.  Then along came the complaints that stick checking was boring that this new brand of hockey was unwatchable, ticket sales started to fall.  Add to that the NHL settled it's concussion lawsuit in November with a minimal amount of damage in league payout.   Ironically it is the same day Gary Bettman was announced to the NHL Hall of Fame.   

Did the quick turnaround take place because John Tortorella made a comment recently pointing out that the intensity was gone from the game or was that a part of a league influence from above to bring it all back?  How odd was it that the Flyers hadn't had a fight all season until Nov 21st, and now it seems that there is one every game.  

So what exactly happened here?  What was accomplished?  The intensity and anger is definitely back, along with the concussions and injuries.  Is that ok now that there isn't a pending lawsuit?   Will we now see the league soft on suspensions too?   

Is there a viable balance as us fans want the intensity at the risk to the players?

And the counterpoint - https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/12/21/18092086/dan-carcillo-nhl-concussions-cte-interview

Fighting NEEDS to be a part of the game. It will actually reduce the number of injuries and all of the cheap shot stuff that should ideally be what is reduced in the game. The players have to be allowed to police themselves to some degree. 

Loving it. Glad that the fighting has not been completely removed from the game. I am not a knuckle dragging goon loving guy but fighting has always served a purpose and should. Without fighting guys like Neal and Cooke and Torres were able to do their nonsense without on ice retributions. 

So yeah, I guess I am a bit of a knuckle dragging fan at that.

Archived