Seguin and Benn - "Not Good Enough"

hf101

Dallas Stars CEO Jim Lites has A LOT to say on the lack of production by it's stars Seguin and Benn.  WOW -- Lite the fireworks....  He apparently asked The Athletics writer Sean Shapiro to put it all in print.  

“We are a stars-driven league, and our stars aren’t getting it done,” Lites said. “It’s embarrassing, and no one writes it. Write it!”

“These guys are not good enough. They’re not good enough for me, they’re not good enough for the owner, and they’re certainly not good enough for the general manager, who I can’t speak for, but it’s not good enough for the job he’s done,” Lites added. “But we’ve had meeting after meeting after meeting. The accountability on the ice is not there. These guys were signed to big contracts because they were the third- and sixth-leading scorers in the National Hockey League over the past five years. They get their money, we expect them to not be outplayed every game we play in. And if they were as good as they’ve been in the past we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Dallas Stars CEO Jim Lites has A LOT to say on the lack of production by it's stars Seguin and Benn.  WOW -- Lite the fireworks....  He apparently asked The Athletics writer Sean Shapiro to put it all in print.  

Yikes. I can't say he's wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

Just one question though- why is the owner sending the CEO those texts? Surely the GM and coach, who actually have an impact on the on-ice product, should be getting them?

I'd say that ownership and the GM are on the same page.  The Wild have been through a number of coaches.  Lindy Ruff, Ken Hitchcock, and now Jim Montgomery.  At some point the blame goes onto the team leadership.  

It just isn't usually done publicly in this manner which basically states to me is this a ploy to have Benn and or Seguin ask to be traded.   Benn has 6 more years of $9.5M and Seguin has 7 more years of $9.85M   

Well, I can't say I blame ownership for wanting more bang for their buck......and sometimes, honesty IS the best policy....

However, I am still trying to figure out how ownership thinks calling out the two best players on the team PUBLICLY, and in this manner, will help matters any.

Oh, I get it.... "shame guys into taking accountability...etc, etc".
But humans being who they are, does that REALLY work???

Yea, let me publicly embarrass my two best players.

Lots of other ways I think this could have been handled if ownership wants to level the entire blame of the team's failure on just two guys...even if those two guys are the team leaders.

Stat-wise, neither Benn or Seguin are up to their standards, but I still wouldn't count them as being "terrible" either.
Just not performing to what their contracts are paying them...and this is where I can fully understand ownership's stance here.

I don't like the whole public shaming thing. I don't think it is particularly effective, and I don't think it fixes the basic problem with the team:
They DON'T have much else beyond Benn and Seguin on the top line (and other teams KNOW THIS!)...and thus are easier to shut down than if they had some secondary scoring.

Ask the Avalanche. Easy to shut down MacKinnon's line...until guys on other lines started to produce as well.

I also think, that while their goaltending with Ben Bishop is head n shoulders above the sideshow that was Niemi and Lehtonen, Bishop still has his days (as seen from a TB fan's POV) where he just is very much off his game and/or is injured, and isn't there doing his bit to stop sometimes easy shots going in.

Not trying to give Seguin or Benn a "pass" here.
Saying calling them out, using profanity laced tirades just seems more of an attention thing (or more likely a frustration thing), than an actual tool to help solve some problems with the team.

And even though those two guys are NOT performing to their standards or their contracts, I'd like to see how much worse the Stars would suck if they WEREN'T on the team.....

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I saw this during my break here at work and did not get a chance to post it ........

all I can say is ...wow ......  Talk about being thrown under the bus... OMFG.  In the immortal words of Frank Barrone..."HOLY CRAP!"   Its one thing to being honest and keeping it in the locker room...but being this honest in public....well this should light a few fires in some keesters .....

I cannot argue with that at all, especially Benn who is simply ordinary this year. I read that the players association is thinking of looking into this, but for what? Speaking the truth? Players should be held accountable for lack of effort/results. 

Archived