Trades: Manning/Norell for Caggiula/Garrison...Petrovic for Wideman + 3rd Rounder

Brewin Flames

• Oilers acquire Manning from Blackhawks for Caggiula

TSN.ca Staff

Brandon Manning is headed to the Edmonton Oilers.

The team acquired the 28-year-old defenceman and blueliner Robin Norell from the Chicago Blackhawks on Sunday in exchange for forward Drake Caggiula and defenceman Jason Garrison

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

TRADE ALERT: The #Blackhawks have acquired forward Drake Caggiula (AAV of $1,500,000) and defenseman Jason Garrison (AAV of $650,000) from Edmonton in exchange for defensemen Brandon Manning and Robin Norell.

A native of Prince George, BC, Manning has appeared in 27 games for the Blackhawks this season, scoring a goal and adding two assists. He averaged 15:28 of ice-time a night with the team.

Manning signed a two-year, $4.5 million deal with the Blackhawks in the summer.

Undrafted out of the Western Hockey League’s Chilliwack Bruins, Manning signed with the Philadelphia Flyers in 2011 and spent the past six seasons with the club.

In 234 career games, Manning has 12 goals and 34 assists.

Manning already has history with the Oilers, despite never having played for them.

On November 3, 2015 Manning hit Connor McDavid, breaking the then-rookie’s collar bone and sidelining him for 37 games. When Manning’s Flyers met the Oilers in December of 2016, McDavid alleges that Manning told him he intentionally tried to hurt him the prior season.

"I did all I could defending him last year in the media," McDavid said after the game. "Everyone wanted to make a big deal saying he did it on purpose, and he wanted to say some comments today about what went on last year. I thought it was one of the (most) classless things I've ever seen on the ice.”

Manning denied the allegations.

"I think anybody who knows me or who has played with or against me along the road here, knows that I am not that kind of player,” Manning said in response. “I am not out there intentionally trying to hurt people. I'm a guy who plays the game hard and I take pride in that. I think going back to last year, it was a total accident, I mean, there were three players involved and there was never any intention on hurting anyone."

During the team’s next meeting in February of 2017, Manning fought then-Oilers forward Patrick Maroon, seemingly settling the matter between the player and the Oilers.

“Connor didn’t say a word on the ice [during the game],” Manning said following the fight. “Even their guys, Patrick said ‘good job’ afterward. We would do the same thing if one our superstars got hurt. I understand it.”

Going the other way, Caggiula, 24, is in his third pro season, having signed with the Oilers in 2016 out of North Dakota after a standout NCAA career including leading the Fighting Hawks to the 2016 Frozen Four title in which he was named the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. He is scheduled to make $1.5 million this year.

The native of Pickering, Ont. has seven goals and four assists in 29 games this season. He missed time earlier this month on injured reserve with a hand injury.

In 156 career games, Caggiula has 27 goals and 22 assists.

Garrison has one goal in 17 games so far this year for the Oilers. He is owed $650,000 this season.

This was the second trade of the day for the Oilers, who traded Chris Wideman and a third-round pick to the Florida Panthers for Alex Petrovic earlier on Sunday.

Was going to start a topic before I saw this one...

Drake Caggiula traded away from Edmonton.
I am not all knowledgeable on the Oilers, however, I HAVE to believe that Edmonton trading away Caggiula had more to do with acquiring Robin Norell than Brandon Manning.

Because if Manning was the "main piece" here for the Oilers, the Hawks fleeced them, IMO.
Sure, Manning MAY help toughen the Oilers a bit, but I think long term, Drake Caggiula is the better player.....at the very least, the Oil could have gotten more for Caggiula.

That said, Robin Norell.
Young defenseman, who perhaps can turn into something for Edmonton. Probably won't be much help this year, but starting next year, that is likely the key.

Jason Garrison is a non factor..aging defenseman with a decent shot but not much else beyond that...he never DID play to his physical capabilities (by all accounts he is a big strong man who just played "small"), so to me, this comes down to the Oilers getting a young futures defenseman for the still promising Caggiula….Brandon Manning is just a short term "fix it" for now.

As for the other trade, sounds like re-arranging the furniture to me. Maybe Petrovic is a bit more physical, but overall, I have a hard time seeing any real upgrade from Wideman to Petrovic.
The fact that Edmonton also gave up a draft pick means Petrovic better be REAL physical and help the team NOW.

If you cross pollinate the trades (a little plant biology reference...hehe), maybe Petrovic is an improvement upon Garrison (plausible), and losing the draft pick and Caggiula is just the cost of business of acquiring two defenseman who can perhaps help now (Manning and Petrovic), while still having one for later (Norell).

We need @JR Ewing to weigh in on this.
Your opinion, Sir....

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I am not all knowledgeable on the Oilers, however, I HAVE to believe that Edmonton trading away Caggiula had more to do with acquiring Robin Norell than Brandon Manning.

Because if Manning was the "main piece" here for the Oilers, the Hawks fleeced them, IMO.
Sure, Manning MAY help toughen the Oilers a bit, but I think long term, Drake Caggiula is the better player.....at the very least, the Oil could have gotten more for Caggiula.

That said, Robin Norell.
Young defenseman, who perhaps can turn into something for Edmonton. Probably won't be much help this year, but starting next year, that is likely the key.

Jason Garrison is a non factor..aging defenseman with a decent shot but not much else beyond that...he never DID play to his physical capabilities (by all accounts he is a big strong man who just played "small"), so to me, this comes down to the Oilers getting a young futures defenseman for the still promising Caggiula….Brandon Manning is just a short term "fix it" for now.

As for the other trade, sounds like re-arranging the furniture to me. Maybe Petrovic is a bit more physical, but overall, I have a hard time seeing any real upgrade from Wideman to Petrovic.
The fact that Edmonton also gave up a draft pick means Petrovic better be REAL physical and help the team NOW.

If you cross pollinate the trades (a little plant biology reference...hehe), maybe Petrovic is an improvement upon Garrison (plausible), and losing the draft pick and Caggiula is just the cost of business of acquiring two defenseman who can perhaps help now (Manning and Petrovic), while still having one for later (Norell).

Your opinion, Sir....

So these trades have happened or are just ones you expect?  So much for Hitchcock and his magic.  They have been awful

59 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That said, Robin Norell.

Your opinion, Sir....

Placeholder post for when I'm not ready to throw my TV across the room...

51 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So these trades have happened or are just ones you expect?  So much for Hitchcock and his magic.  They have been awful

The team was 9-2-2 and then he lost 3 of his 5 best defensemen, and has been forced to run some cardboard cut-outs and bantam players in their place. Think about it.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The team was 9-2-2 and then he lost 3 of his 5 best defensemen, and has been forced to run some cardboard cut-outs and bantam players in their place. Think about it.

Manning is a downgrade from the cardboard cutout.

2 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Manning is a downgrade from the cardboard cutout.

Here's the thing which has me scratching my head. Caggiula and McDavid are said to be very close. We all know about McDavid and Manning. I wouldn't suggest keeping a player because he's a good friend of your star player, but trading him for a guy with whom he's had big issues seems an odd move to me.

Chiarelli is really on the hot seat now, and he's in the home stretch of his time in Edmonton, which has been marked by one terrible wound (Hall) and then death by a thousand cuts. The injuries on the blue line absolutely crushed the team. If they had remained healthy, they could have hung in there, but they don't have the horses to catch back up. They'll surely miss the playoffs now.

If/when that's the case, management would be far better off to fire Chiarelli before the deadline, or else not allow him to make further deals. The absolute last thing they need is to have him making a desperation trade where he tried to save his job but further phuks up the team worse than he already has.

I'm very serious when I say this: they were better off with Steve Tambellini. He was crippled by fear/unwillingness to make a big trade and be burned by it, but at least he was never burned in these deals. ChiaPete traded off a Hart Trophy winner and Matthew Barzal in an attempt to improve the blueline, and they're not really better for it (though Larsson IS a good defender).

Time to angry-eat a king-sized Bounty Bar.

If they let Chiarelli finish out the year, he may very well set Edmonton up in a position where they don't have a chance to compete until McDavid is leaving his prime. I said it at the time, and it hasn't changed. Chia was a terrible hiring.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

Your filthy rotten Oilers are not costing me another dime

Petrovic will make Larsson look like Bobby Orr, absolutely ZERO offensive acumen. Loves to hit, responsible defensive player but no clue what to do when the puck is near his stick. He could play for me as a third pair penalty killer shut down guy mated with an offensive partner but is he worth the third? Seems a bit much to me.

Drake is Desharnais lite, no big loss fans loved him because he brings hustle but not much of a player really, the big thing is Manning is subtraction by addition. 

Archived