It's Time for the Retrofit

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is a good take on the team's status:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/1/1/18163153/the-flyers-should-be-selling

The chances for the playoffs are next to nil. It's clear we don't have much talent.  Somewhere between blow-up and do-nothing is to start retooling, starting with the "good guys" like Weise who don't do much (Weise as example).  It's also time to bring on the youngins. This summer may be the time for sizable trades. Food for thought.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Food for thought.

What is obvious to me is they're best, most aggressive hungry forwards, they just aren't good at scoring and that is Laughton and Raffl.

Those two guys bring it and play hard all the time and are never afraid to go into the corners to do the dirty work a lot of guys in the team don't want to do.

The only down side is they are not very good at scoring.

This whole team could learn so much if the just come to work ready to grind like them.

Is it no chemistry, lack of play making abilty, zero finishing skills or all of the above? We just cannot complete a decent sequence to score a goal. Is this team really that bad .Its time to draft or acquire a pure goal scorer , enough with constantly drafting 2 way centers. We need a pure finisher on the wing.

I think at the deadline you move Simmonds, JVR and Voracek. We should get 3 NHL players and a mix of picks and top prospects for those guys , much like when we traded Carter and Richards.

Hopefully Neuvirth plays great and stays healthy , and right at the deadline , some team loses a goalie to injury and we can get a little something back in an trade.

Once he is back, play Stolarz and Neuvy the rest of the way let Hart go to Phantoms and unload at the deadline. If we trade those guys at the deadline, we will solidify our shot at a lottery pick.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is obvious to me is their best most aggressive hungry forwards just aren't good at scoring and that is Laughton and Raffl.

Those two guys bring it and play hard all the time and are never afraid to go into the corners to do the dirty work a lot of guys in the team don't want to do.

The only down side is they are not very good at scoring.

This whole team could learn so much if the just come to work ready to grind like them.

Raffl should certainly be re-signed, he is perfect for the 4th line with Laughton. With the proper coaching, they should be an excellent PK duo.

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Here is a good take on the team's status:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2019/1/1/18163153/the-flyers-should-be-selling

The chances for the playoffs are next to nil. It's clear we don't have much talent.  Somewhere between blow-up and do-nothing is to start retooling, starting with the "good guys" like Weise who don't do much (Weise as example).  It's also time to bring on the youngins. This summer may be the time for sizable trades. Food for thought.

With you

I mean, the Flyers are 13 points out of 3rd in the Metro, 12 points out of the last wildcard spot.

They ain't making the playoffs. A few weeks ago, when they were 5 points out, yeah, I could definitely see that as a possibility.

Not anymore.

So what to do?

Our goaltending is as awful as it has been - the only goalie above .900 is Elliott. Our team save % is .885. That's just not good enough for an NHL team. Period.

On this, I would wait until the offseason when you can either sign a free agent or make a trade with a significant asset to get one. Teams would be more likely to deal a goalie in the offseason than right in the thick of things. 

Let both Elliott and Neuvirth walk. Not sure what to do with Lyon and Stolarz. I'm not convinced either one has an NHL future other than spot duty. Of the two, Stolarz has the most chance of actually sticking in the NHL. It's just really hard to evaluate them when all of our goalies have been bad.

Next year you could have New Goalie/Hart or New Goalie/Stolarz, and then have Hart/Sandstrom in the AHL. Include Lyon in a trade package.

Defense needs an overhaul, but I don't know what that would look like. 

As free agents, there's Karlsson, Myers, Bouwmeester, Edler, Stralman, Gardiner, Coburn, Girardi.

If Fletch makes a trade for one, I'm pretty sure it would involve current pieces on defense going the other way. 

Up front is kind of a mess too. I'm discouraged about this season because the more it goes on, the more it really does look like we just don't have the talent or they were overvalued.

In my mind, two moves that must be made are Simmonds at the deadline and Voracek in the offseason.

The one guy they absolutely need more from moving forward is Nolan Patrick. He's been very underwhelming - the top 4 picks from this past draft, all picked a year later than Nolan and younger than him, have basically doubled his production in their rookie years, which includes three teams that were not expected to be good at all.

And all those guys are NOTICEABLE on the ice. So something's gotta give, and Nolan needs to find another gear, because once Fletch starts to move big pieces, he becomes that much more important for the future of this team.

I'm not worried about our bottom six because they've been fine. It's the top six that needs to step up, G excluded.

First, get Giroux away from center. He's been atrocious there. He wasn't great there before and he's been God awful since going back. I realize that move was largely due to necessity, but it ain't working. Bring Vorobyov back up at least until Patrick is ready. What are you hurting at this point by letting the kid have a shot? 

At the deadline, I'm with those who move Simmer and Voracek. Try to get young players or prospects rather than picks (or both).  

If either are healthy at the deadline, try to move either or both of Neuvy and Elliott. You're not getting a lot for either, but you're getting more than either playing out the string on a sinking ship. 

If you can get some idiot to take JVR, do it.  He may be an offseason move because of his contract, though. Not that the contract is a disaster, but it will be hard to move at the deadline. 

Our defense is still simply growing pains mixed with lack of quality veteran leadership.  Find a quality top 4 vet. Easier said than done, sure, but find a way.  

I feel like this season was tossed by design, and it ticks me off.  Unless we get Hughes. 

Size youth speed. If you are going to put Frost, Farabee, Hart in the lineup in the next few years you best have somebody to protect them from the Wilsons and Holmquists of the world. Not goons, big guys who can kill penalties and be a presence. 

So...um, yeah.

ha ha, this season has been fun so far, amirite ? Gritty ? Ha...ha along with the new black sweaters and JvR...hmm ? yes -awesome, amirite?

What was the mirage of last year ? really ? I am having a tough time understanding how essentially the same group of players minus Filpulla is so bad ?

Over the summer, we were thinking upgrade the 3C , add a top 4 defenseman , improve on the PK and we'd be good right ? Like winning a round in the playoffs good...what the hell happened ?

Definitely time to make some changes, There are some pieces to move, I know some guys have been calling for a complete rebuild, can't really say "but we're so close" anymore can we ?

Raffl is a good player but he's not top line material...Scott Laughton is okay too, but is he really 2nd line talent ?  I've really gotten tired of watching JvR take his stick for a skate 10 minutes a night...

plus how many posts have been hit this year? there were 4 in two periods last night. this group is both under performing and unlucky.

gah...

Haven't watched any of the last three games in full, but it seems the results speak for themselves. 

Also, just looking at some stats/game logs:

- Konecy has 0 goals and 2 assists in his last 10 games.  He's -4 in his last two games.

- JVR has 2 goals in his last 10 games and none in his last 5.  He's -3 in the last two games.

- Couturier has 2 goals in his last 10 games and none in his last 5.  He's -7 over those 10 games.  Saw his ice time was down to 18:00 last game.

- Ghost has 3 points in his last 10 games and is a -4.  That -4 is amazing considering he's played some brutal defense this year.

- Simmonds has 1 goal in his last 10 games, 2 goals in the last 15 and 4 goals in the last 20.  He's a -6 in the last 10 games and -10 in his last 20.

Nolan Patrick's stats are too depressing to list.  Dude hasn't scored since November 10 (yes, I know he's injured now).

Obviously the team should be looking to move assets.  That said, I'm so glad Fletcher hasn't made any trades yet.  Would have been bad if he traded some of the youth/prospects for a band-aid and quick fix.  This team needs surgery.  Everyone - with the exception of Carter Hart - is available, imo, for the right price.  

Realistically, I don't see them moving Giroux, Voracek, Couturier or JVR.  So, they should focus on clearing out the UFAs and trading Ghost.  From there, it would take an awful lot for me to move Provorov or Sanheim (though both need to be resigned).  I'd also have to think hard about moving Konecny (who also needs to be resigned).  I'm not sure how I feel about Hagg.  Other than that, everyone else can go from this roster.  Feel bad about Patrick, but at this point I'm real concerned about his future (or lack of).  I would do just about anything to move on from Voracek and/or JVR.  Those contracts absolutely suck.

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Do a firing squad. Easier clean up.

Yeah, fair enough. But it doesn't make the same kind of impression on the onlookers who may or may not be spared the blade.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Yeah, fair enough. But it doesn't make the same kind of impression on the onlookers who may or may not be spared the blade.

So they get the Ned Stark haircut? A little off the top?

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

So they get the Ned Stark haircut? A little off the top?

For sure. A little Game of Thrones is what this Flyers teams needs.  They bore the living hell out of me. Needs some spice, some sex, some ultraviolence.

Morin's injuries have really stunk.  (yeah that was random) -- But I can't help wonder how much our D and team would be improved with a healthy, sized d-man with some speed from the 2013 draft.    Provorov and Ghost are just too small to be a #1 defensive pair.  

I think in retrospect Hextall's biggest mistake was not to have made a prospect trade acquiring size, skill and speed on the back-end as a Morin replacement.

Hopefully we win the trades when trading the assets we got when we won the trades.

Is it really possible that they are further away from the playoffs then they were when they made the move to "win now"?

Who's in charge here? Holmgren?

🤕👹

1 hour ago, vis said:

Realistically, I don't see them moving Giroux, Voracek, Couturier or JVR.  So, they should focus on clearing out the UFAs and trading Ghost.  From there, it would take an awful lot for me to move Provorov or Sanheim (though both need to be resigned).  I'd also have to think hard about moving Konecny (who also needs to be resigned).  I'm not sure how I feel about Hagg.  Other than that, everyone else can go from this roster.  Feel bad about Patrick, but at this point I'm real concerned about his future (or lack of).  I would do just about anything to move on from Voracek and/or JVR.  Those contracts absolutely suck.

Voracek, JVR, Simmonds, Couturier, Giroux

Before the start of the 2019-2020 season, I think they have to move 3 of the 5 to make any significant difference on this team .   Ideally, it would be 3 with Couturier and Giroux the last ones standing.   And even then, both need to be advised that if the same **** continues they are on a short leash.   This should provide a significant shake-up to the core.

Archived