It's Time for the Retrofit

Howie58

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I really want a good prospect out of the draft but i really hate this mock draft...yet wouldn't it be the Flyers luck to get f**ked like this??

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

Skip To Round:  1  •  2  •  3  •  4  •  5  •  6  •  7
1 Los Angeles logo Los Angeles Jack Hughes C USNTDP (USHL) 5' 10" 152
2 Chicago logo Chicago Kaapo Kakko RW TPS Turku (SM-liiga) 6' 1.25" 187
3 Philadelphia logo Philadelphia Dylan Cozens C Lethbridge(WHL) 6' 2.5"

I am totally in favor of Kaapo Kakko!

SUOMI! 🇫🇮

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say i am concerned with Hughes size and durability in the NHL at 5-10 a buck fifty.

However this kid man can bring some immediate size to the Flyers RW and could come over and at least play 2nd or 3rd line to start in 2019-20.

My vision for 2019-20-----------Get r done Fletcher!!!!!!

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 61 Mark Stone
25 James van Riemsdyk -  19 Nolan Patrick  - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom  - 27 Morgan Frost - 24 Kaapo Kakko
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 13 Nicolas Aube Kubel 

Some more reinforcements are coming in next year but most will need some seasoning in the AHL.

Wade Allison 

Tanner Laczynski

Isaac Ratcliffe  

Maksim Sushko 

Olle Lycksell

Matthews Strome

Should be added to the current group of AHLers to develop. Patience is still required with these kids.

Not to knock on the kid but Strome maybe given one more year of juniors to still work on his skating.

I think Morgan Frost will be given every opportunity to lock down at least the 3rd center job next preseason/camp.

Allison could be a nice power forward (6-2 205) who could stand out and be given a shot at one of the RW spot maybe.

No matter that is a nice set of forwards coming eventually to the aid of the flailing current Flyers.

It would be even sweeter to add a Hughes/Kakko type to the group.

Sure i know not much to help them right now but it is what it is right now...a lost season...but you can still utilize it to get some of the kids some development time in the NHL.

NAK, Vecchione, Vorobyev, Myers and Friedman are a few  i would maybe give some minutes in the NHL sometime this year.

Guess we'll see i hope and pray Fletcher doesn't trade away some of these kids for magic beans.

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Weird promo...

...someone needs to use the paddles on the Flyers!!!!!!!!!

“A loss in sudden death means a child dies.”

The Flyers should really stop killing children. 

3 minutes ago, brelic said:

“A loss in sudden death means a child dies.”

The Flyers should really stop killing children. 

Yeah no sh it....if you thought lives were on the line JVR, Simmer and Jake would back check...

SMFH!!!!!!!!!!

While we are "retrofitting"....let's waive Mcdud and give a kid a shot on the blueline...they are at the bottom nothing left to lose...

You could go with Friedman who scored the game winner yesterday...a solid two defenseman...

Or a big fast offensive defenseman who also scored yesterday...

Both are right handed shots....WTF not?? If not just send Hart back to LV so he can play on a good team and continue the tank.

So here's a list of expiring contracts on the Flyers... 

Lehtera (UFA), $4.7M

Simmonds (UFA), $3.975M

Raffl (UFA), $2.35M

Weal (UFA), $1.75M

Varone (UFA), $0.65M

Folin, (UFA), $0.8M

Neuvirth (UFA), $2.5M

McKenna (UFA), $0.7M

Elliott (UFA), $2.75M

Knight (UFA), $0.65M

TOTAL UFA SPACE - $20.825M

Laughton (RFA), $0.962M

Konecny (RFA), $0.895M

Provorov (RFA), $0.895M

Sanheim (RFA), $0.863M

Stolarz (RFA), $0.761M

TOTAL RFA EXPIRIES - $4.376M

Assuming we resign all of our RFAs, here's what the lineup looks like next year for what we have under contract...

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/???/???

Weise/Laughton/???

Provorov/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/MacDonald

Hart / Stolarz

So basically, barring any trades of course, there are only three roster spots opened up by the expiring contracts, and they're all in the bottom 6. 

What would you do? Who would you resign from that list? Who would you move? 

On 1/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, radoran said:

Vancouver had two in the Sedins and won none. Philadelphia had Lindros. There are other examples.

Meaning that "having" a player like that doesn't mean you win a Cup.

If we're at the point where they are not going to seriously compete in the next 3-5 years, what's the point in standing

pat?

The point being if there's a trade to ve made that makes the team better long term and involves Giroux, you have to seriously consider it.

I don't know what that looks like, but it's not inconceivable.

Having a player like that doesn't mean you win a Cup. I agree. 

But I'm struggling to come up with a team that won a Cup that didn't. 

My mind goes to Carolina. But do Francis or Brindy count?  Outside of that, any examples? 

17 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lehtera (UFA), $4.7M

Simmonds (UFA), $3.975M

Raffl (UFA), $2.35M

Weal (UFA), $1.75M

Varone (UFA), $0.65M

Folin, (UFA), $0.8M

Neuvirth (UFA), $2.5M

McKenna (UFA), $0.7M

Elliott (UFA), $2.75M

Knight (UFA), $0.65M

Laughton (RFA), $0.962M

Konecny (RFA), $0.895M

Provorov (RFA), $0.895M

Sanheim (RFA), $0.863M

Stolarz (RFA), $0.761M

Assuming we resign all of our RFAs, here's what the lineup looks like next year for what we have under contract...

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/???/???

Weise/Laughton/???

Provorov/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/MacDonald

Hart / Stolarz

So basically, barring any trades of course, there are only three roster spots opened up by the expiring contracts, and they're all in the bottom 6. 

I would resign Raffl for sure and likely all of those RFAs. Varone and Knight might be resigned mostly for LHV, and that's fine. Simmonds should have been traded last season be traded at the deadline for the best offer we can get.

From there it becomes more challenging. On the one hand, I couldn't care less about any of the remaining UFAs. On the other, someone needs to play. Mostly it would be a question of who might be ready from LHV to be given a shot. I'm not sure bringing up three such players at once is the best idea, but in many ways it's not like the team can get much worse. Lehtera and Weal are pretty interchangeable with any LHV stalwart at this point. I see no point in keeping either of them.

So, for the sake of discussion let's go with:

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/Vorobyev/Laughton

Weise/Vex or Rubstov/NAK

That said, I can't say that line up would be much better than what we have now. The top six are dragging us down more than the bottom six imo, and those lines are largely unchanged if we limit the exercise just to call ups and resigns. If we carry the same top six we have now into next season, I see no reason to suggest the outcome will be different. That extends to the d-corps as well, which remains unchanged if we go with what you've noted above.

Still, it gives us some understanding of what our bottom six may look like. That's not nothing.

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

My mind goes to Carolina. But do Francis or Brindy count?  Outside of that, any examples? 

With Carolina, I’d say Staal and then the playoff run for Ward. 

Brindy and Williams are excellent top pieces as well. 

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if you can believe him Eklund says Mark Stone is available so Fletcher.

GO.GET.HIM!

I would love to have Stone on the roster, but I highly doubt Stone would want to be a Flyer right now. He's going to have plenty of options. I just can't see the Flyers being on top of his list. It makes no sense to trade for a UFA who's just going to opt for the market in a few months because he'd rather play for a contender.

That said, he might have agreed to be a Flyer prior to this season. Hexy should absolutely have had a convo involving Simmer or Voracek for him, but he did not. Maybe he would have come over and signed a contract right away. That was conceivable then, but now... Yeah no.

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I doubt there are any examples.

My point is/was that just holding onto Giroux with the idea that you need "a player like that to win a Cup" is great... But (there's always a "but") does anyone seriously think that the Flyers are "winning a Cup" in the next three years?

If you do, then you obviously hold onto Giroux. If you don't then IMO you have to at least entertain the idea of maximizing the value of your asset - and while that may mean keeping the asset, it could also mean improving your team with assets that would help for the next 5-10 years.

I don't have the answer but just asserting that they "need" to keep Giroux is, for me, like Vancouver holding onto the Sedins through the past seven seasons, getting three rounds of playoffs and a nice retirement ceremony.

The other thing, of course, is the No Movement Clause which could make this whole discussion moot from the jump (not that we're above having it anyway).

I don't know that I'm advocating for this, but I wonder about Ottawa for Giroux. He might waive his NMC because close to home and hey, nice cop butt. 

Giroux for Duchene Anderson, and maybe a pick. Need to be sure we can resign Duchene with it. 

I think I'd want the center coming back, but maybe Stone instead. 

39 minutes ago, radoran said:

I doubt there are any examples.

My point is/was that just holding onto Giroux with the idea that you need "a player like that to win a Cup" is great... But (there's always a "but") does anyone seriously think that the Flyers are "winning a Cup" in the next three years?

If you do, then you obviously hold onto Giroux. If you don't then IMO you have to at least entertain the idea of maximizing the value of your asset - and while that may mean keeping the asset, it could also mean improving your team with assets that would help for the next 5-10 years.

I don't have the answer but just asserting that they "need" to keep Giroux is, for me, like Vancouver holding onto the Sedins through the past seven seasons, getting three rounds of playoffs and a nice retirement ceremony.

The other thing, of course, is the No Movement Clause which could make this whole discussion moot from the jump (not that we're above having it anyway).

I think the answer, again, comes down to how Fletcher plans to replace a guy like Giroux - because he surely knows as well as we do that you need a player like that to win a Cup. 

So if he's replaced with secondary tier players, he needs to find another way (e.g. draft) to get one. 

There are a few Flyers/Oilers rumours flying around. Simmonds has been linked to them since last year. He has a NTC, but really, it's only for 3-4 months if he chooses to test free agency, and it sounds like he would be playing with McDavid at least to start. I mean, I'd sure waive my NTC for that kind of an opportunity.

https://oilonwhyte.com/2018/11/18/edmonton-oilers-holiday-gift-guide/

That one talks about a Simmonds for Puljujarvi or Yamamoto trade.

https://www.beerleagueheroes.com/edmonton-oilers-rumors-fresh-rumors-for-the-new-year/

This one is a bit more substantial and, I suspect, a non-starter for Fletcher. 

Simmonds and Patrick for Talbot, Puljujarvi, and lottery-protected 1st.

Dreger saying the Flyers haven't yet made a decision on Simmonds.

https://www.tsn.ca/countdown-to-tradecentre-simmonds-sweepstakes-to-heat-up-1.1238553

While many teams may wait until closer to the trade deadline to make decisions with their pending free agents, where are Wayne Simmonds and the Philadelphia Flyers headed?

Simmonds, who has 13 goals and 19 points in 43 games with a $3.975 million cap hit this season and TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports the team has not decided on their plans for his future.

Dreger also said Tuesday on Insider Trading that Simmonds could look for the Flyers to make their decision on keeping or trading him sooner rather than later.

"There are a handful of but you’re talking about Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds," Dreger said. "The Flyers haven’t made a decision yet on the direction they want to go with Simmonds. They know that he’s a big part of the culture in Philadelphia and has been for a long time, but he’s also a highly valued commodity.

"If you look at some of the contending teams - the Toronto Maple Leafs, Winnipeg Jets, and Calgary Flames from a Canadian perspective - why wouldn’t they have interest in Simmonds? He could help the power play and he’s a grit guy.

"Then you throw in the other element, I don’t think Simmonds wants to wait around for too long to determine his direction moving forward. I think we’ll be talking a lot more about Simmonds in the days and weeks ahead."

An 11-year NHL veteran, Simmonds, 30, has spent the past eight seasons in Philadelphia after being traded from the Los Angeles Kings in 2011. He posted back-to-back 30-goal seasons in 2016 and 2017 before scoring 24 goals last season.

The Flyers sit last in the Metropolitan Division this season and fired general manager Ron Hextall in November. Chuck Fletcher has since been named Hextall's replacement.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Lehtera (UFA), $4.7M

Simmonds (UFA), $3.975M

Raffl (UFA), $2.35M

Weal (UFA), $1.75M

Varone (UFA), $0.65M

Folin, (UFA), $0.8M

Neuvirth (UFA), $2.5M

McKenna (UFA), $0.7M

Elliott (UFA), $2.75M

Knight (UFA), $0.65M

Laughton (RFA), $0.962M

Konecny (RFA), $0.895M

Provorov (RFA), $0.895M

Sanheim (RFA), $0.863M

Stolarz (RFA), $0.761M

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Patrick/Voracek

Lindblom/???/???

Weise/Laughton/???

Provorov/Sanheim

Ghost/Gudas

Hagg/MacDonald

Hart / Stolarz

None of the UFAs.  They are all part of the problem.

Resign all of the UFAs except Stolarz and possibly Laughton (depending on what he's asking).

I make every effort to trade Voracek, Simmonds and MacDonald.  I am open to trading (and maybe even shopping) Ghost and Gudas.  I'm not opposed to trading Hagg or Lindblom (or practically anyone) in the right deal.  Would move JVR as well, but doubtful that's happening.

I'd be tempted to buy out Weise to open a spot and rid myself of that dead weight. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know that I'm advocating for this, but I wonder about Ottawa for Giroux. He might waive his NMC because close to home and hey, nice cop butt. 

Giroux for Duchene Anderson, and maybe a pick. Need to be sure we can resign Duchene with it. 

I think I'd want the center coming back, but maybe Stone instead. 

We could get far more out of another team. Ottawa doesn't have anyone of note on the roster aside from Chabot imo, and I'm not sure adding another young dman is the best we could do by trading away a guy like Giroux.

I agree it's not a bad idea to think about trading Giroux though. You're absolutely right in that we're not a contender and likely won't be between now and when Giroux hits the decline. If we entertain that idea though, my question becomes what's the best we could get for a guy like G. Virtually any team will want him, so we can basically take our pick. What are we looking for in a trade like that? My sense is clearly an elite potential prospect or rookie, if not two, and probably a pair of first round picks to go with that.

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

We could get far more out of another team. Ottawa doesn't have anyone of note on the roster aside from Chabot imo, and I'm not sure adding another young dman is the best we could do by trading away a guy like Giroux.

I agree it's not a bad idea to think about trading Giroux though. You're absolutely right in that we're not a contender and likely won't be between now and when Giroux hits the decline. If we entertain that idea though, my question becomes what's the best we could get for a guy like G. Virtually any team will want him, so we can basically take our pick. What are we looking for in a trade like that? My sense is clearly an elite potential prospect or rookie, if not two, and probably a pair of first round picks to go with that.

Colorado? I'm on my phone so can't look up prospects at the moment, but get Ottawa's first rounder plus?  We'd end up with two top 5 picks

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Colorado? I'm on my phone so can't look up prospects at the moment, but get Ottawa's first rounder plus?  We'd end up with two top 5 picks

GET OFF YOUR PHONE RUX!

41 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

GET OFF YOUR PHONE RUX!

I'm still in my phone, but the first rounder is really the only thing exciting on the prospect level. I guess Kaut. 

So, moving on. 

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Virtually any team will want him, so we can basically take our pick.

The extra factor here is Giroux's NMC. He's going to have to want to go where he ends up if he is traded.

Archived