It's Time for the Retrofit

Howie58

HHHHmmmmm out of that list of guys i would ask for Zachary Senyshyn so maybe he could be a nice replace for Simmer on the 3rd and could pair with former teammate Frost. 

28 Claude Giroux- 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom- 18 Morgan Frost -10 Zachary Senyshyn
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 13 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

I like this lineup. But i would love to flip Jake for Mark Stone too.

28 Claude Giroux- 14 Sean Couturier - 61 Mark Stone
25 James van Riemsdyk - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom- 18 Morgan Frost -10 Zachary Senyshyn
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 13 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

A good start for 2019.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, OccamsRazor said:

You know i have seen the Wild fans say that Fletcher has an affection for Scandinavian players.

Maybe that is what the Flyers are lacking. Some of that skill set from those countries to mix with the north americans they have.

I mean i look at some of the top guys and there are some of those players out there that are playing very well.

Laine

Landeskog

Pettersson

Aho

Lindholm

Rantanen

Forsberg

Barkov

Just to name a few off the top of my head at forward.

Defensemen

Karlsson

Ekholm

Hedman

Gustafsson

Ristolainen

Dahlin

Klingberg

Heiskanen   

Lindholm

Vantanen

Like i said just to name a few. And this isn't too say they in any way are better than North American players.

I mean Finland just beat USA in the finals

Sweden last to Canada the year before.

Finland won it in 2016 and 2014 beating Sweden too.

Sweden won it in 2012 and lost to USA in 2013. Placed bronze in 2010 and lost in back to back years of 2008-09 to Canada.

Point being this area put out some very good players and the key is finding them and integrating them into the lineup too.

The Flyers lack these type of guys. They have Lindblom and Hagg.

So maybe a better blend couldn't hurt. And no let's not go all Scandinavian and such but let's get a good mix of skill in here.

Just two sense let's not put ourselves in a box. Let's think out side of it and looks everywhere there is talent.

I think it's getting better they have some inthe talent pool it just needs to get bigger.

I have no problem with adding players from anywhere if it improves the team. But you don't add players just because they're from Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland. 

Besides, Fletcher didn't exactly build anything special in Minnesota. (no offence intended to Wild fans...we're stuck with him)

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

DuYetbPW0AAt-Ht.jpg:large

Well i have a forward offer for them....and they can choose which they want...

Wayne Simmonds for Jesse Puljujarvi

or 

Jakub Voracek for Jesse Puljujarvi

Thoughts...

I think the package would need to be adjusted somewhat... but as the center pieces, I'm kind of undecided.

On the one hand, Puljujarvi has been underwhelming to say the least. On the other hand, he's a 20 year old 4th overall pick who is a big boy (6'4", 201#) that probably needs some more development time / experience before knowing what you've got. It's a bit like the Patrick situation - and I would never trade Patrick. 

If you can get Talbot out of that deal too, then maybe that solidifies our goaltending for next year (though Talbot is a UFA).

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

or 

Thoughts...

I think we can definitely get better than that for Voracek. Simmonds for Pul isn't terrible though. Given Simmonds is a UFA and all. Even there, we may be able to get someone better elsewhere.

Not that there's anything wrong with Pul. It seems entirely possible his lack of success is owing quite a bit to the fact he plays for a franchise with a track record of failing to develop high caliber prospects. I'd give him a shot for Simmonds I think.

Oh, it's Chiarelli though. It should be fairly easy to get two first round picks in the swap too.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think the package would need to be adjusted somewhat... but as the center pieces, I'm kind of undecided.

On the one hand, Puljujarvi has been underwhelming to say the least. On the other hand, he's a 20 year old 4th overall pick who is a big boy (6'4", 201#) that probably needs some more development time / experience before knowing what you've got. It's a bit like the Patrick situation - and I would never trade Patrick. 

If you can get Talbot out of that deal too, then maybe that solidifies our goaltending for next year (though Talbot is a UFA).

Well the Jake trade could work unless some more salary was coming back the Flyers way.

How about this...

Jakub VoracekNolan Patrick for Ryan Nugent-HopkinsJesse Puljujarvi and a pick?

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well the Jake trade could work unless some more salary was coming back the Flyers way.

How about this...

Patrick for Nuge is pretty much a wash imo. May as well keep the younger guy who still may develop a bit further in years to come. Voracek should be worth more than Pul in a trade.

I'm not opposed to getting either of those guys, but I wouldn't want to trade Voracek and Patrick for them. Simmonds I could see.

I still think the better options would be contending teams though. Contenders overpay, and they're more likely to move the types of assets the Flyers currently need. Nuge would be fine and would give us some nice center depth, but he's also a known commodity. He's a 2C at best, and he's not the best one at that. Sure, he has recently played well with McDavid, but that's not exactly because of Nuge. I don't think we can rely on that.

We should be talking about what teams like Calgary, SJ, and Winnipeg have to offer. That would be sending him far away, and all of those teams are very much in the mix to make a run at the cup. That's the kind of team I could see wanting a Simmonds or Voracek. They're also the ones who would likely give us a young gun that is probably too good to be buried in their depth chart and a nice pick or two. Those are what we need more right now than a Nuge imo.

That said, if a Simmonds for Nuge and picks were to happen, I could get behind it. I'm not sure they'd offer that much for a UFA mind you, but it is Chiarelli.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

How about this...

No, I don't trade Patrick. 

Of course, there might be one jersey # in between RNH and Puljujarvi that I'd trade anyone for.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But you don't add players just because they're from Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland. 

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone would take that from this conversation.

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner.

SMFH

:bonkingheadonwall:

10 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

But you don't add players just because they're from Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland. 

I hope that wasn't what I came across as saying. What I'm saying is that I think pro scouts often spend far more attention on North American skaters -- for plenty of valid reasons we could consider -- and as a result it's easier for young players in Scandinavian leagues particularly to slip under the radar, or at the very least to be considered less than an NA player. It seems entirely possible there's another Pettersson out there who will end up ranked far lower than he should because he plays in Europe. 

This is nothing new of course. Detroit used this rather simple fact to win the drafting race for years. NA players are traditionally regarded as better. The CHL leagues are considered better leagues. So if you do well there, you must naturally be better. While that probably is true to some extent, I do think the dynamics have been changing for some time, and I'm not sure all NHL scouting teams have truly adjusted to the extent they might want to.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Coffers are full...

DxCugrdX4AAk4mJ.jpg

After this draft it will be ready to overflow...

Find it interesting that Strome is low on Appleyard's list and doesn't even appear on Silver's or O'Connor's lists.  Also, somewhat surprising that Morin is low.  No Laberge, which I guess isn't surprising given his injuries.

That Zamula kid has put up some real nice numbers in junior this year.

39 minutes ago, vis said:

Also, somewhat surprising that Morin is low. 

Do you think that's related to the injury/ies and not knowing how he's going to look when he comes back?

IIRC, there were concerns about foot speed before the ACL injury.

The good part of the situation is that the organization has the time to let him fully heal and still have time on his deal to evaluate.

Also good to see some consistency amongst the rankings for the Top Six Or Seven. Not sure where Zamula fits in given the discrepancy, but Hart is a clear keeper and then Myers/Frost/Farabee are good to have in the pipeline. If they can get something out of Rubstov/Vorobyev they're ahead of the game.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Find it interesting that Strome is low on Appleyard's list and doesn't even appear on Silver's or O'Connor's lists.  Also, somewhat surprising that Morin is low.  No Laberge, which I guess isn't surprising given his injuries.

That Zamula kid has put up some real nice numbers in junior this year.

Might have forgot about him I guess, Strome that is.

Silver also doesn't have Sandstrom on there but he has Ersson.

So i imagine a whoops.

There is no Ginning on there either and he is 18 and playing in the SHL.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Do you think that's related to the injury/ies and not knowing how he's going to look when he comes back?

Not sure.  Honestly, I feel like guys like Morin don't rate well for guys like Appleyard and O'Connor for a few reasons.  First, their positive contributions (i.e., physicality/intimidation/emotion) aren't easily quantifiable, but yet their supposed shortcomings are quantifiable and I feel like quants like Appleyard & Co. don't give them a fair shake.  Second, there seems to be a pendulum shift to "big is bad" when it used to be "big is good."  Aside from what I perceive as bias against players like Morin, I'm sure uncertainty regarding the injury and his lack of foot speed play a big part in where he falls.  However, I will say this: I'm more excited to see what Morin can do than someone like Vorobyev.  If Morin can reach his potential, I think he will have a bigger impact on the team than Vorobyev.  Maybe they don't rate Morin highly because they have doubts about his ability reach that potential because of the injury (which I think would be a little shortsighted).

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Also good to see some consistency amongst the rankings for the Top Six Or Seven. Not sure where Zamula fits in given the discrepancy, but Hart is a clear keeper and then Myers/Frost/Farabee are good to have in the pipeline. If they can get something out of Rubstov/Vorobyev they're ahead of the game.

Yeah, there is definitely consensus about the top 4 prospects.  That's not really surprising.  Might be hard to judge the Zamula kid at this stage.  Again, I think guys like Appleyard and O'Connor love the idea of unearthing an undrafted gem and may be quick to rate him high.  That said, he did put up good numbers in junior this year.

Rubtsov was taken 22 overall.  It shouldn't be a question of "if" they can get something out of him.  He better project as a contributing NHL player.  He had a rough junior year a season or two ago, IIRC, and the injury isn't helping him obviously.  But if he doesn't hit, I think that's a bit of an issue.  They're lucky they got Patrick and Frost is looking so good.  Otherwise, their first two picks in 2016 (Rubtsov and Laberge) could come back to really haunt them.

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Might have forgot about him I guess, Strome that is.

Seems doubtful.  These guys live and breathe prospects.  His size and speed work against him, though.

Silver also doesn't have Sandstrom on there but he has Ersson.

Maybe not.  I thought something was up with Sandstrom?  Disappointing year(s)?  Or maybe an injury?

There is no Ginning on there either and he is 18 and playing in the SHL.

Yeah, that's kind of interesting.  Dude was a second rounder, no?  Then again, he's a pretty big guy who is touted as a shutdown dman.  Noticing a pattern?

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Would you trade Ghost for Kapanen?

I'd have to think long and hard about that.  Would more coming back.  How has Kapanen been doing since Nylander returned?  Who is he playing with?  I thought he was paired with Matthews earlier this year and was doing well offensively back then.

Would trade Simmonds for Kapanen.  Probably need another pick/roster player as well.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:04 AM, OccamsRazor said:

or 

Thoughts...

I like Simmonds for Puljujarvi but, in regards to Voracek for Puljujarvi, I would at least ask if we could include Talbot in the deal.

Has Karlsson signed with SJ ? If he doesn't would it be worth it to back the truck up and pay that guy all the money ?

Everytime I watch him play, when he's on the ice, he's setting the pace of play. It's unbelievable. His skating and stick handling are phenomenal. Just finished watching him toy with the Coyotes, the Sharks didn't score on the posession but 68 skated past everyone, put 2 passes on guys tape as they were breaking to the net...jeez, he's great.

If he's looking for a deal, I wonder how long ? 

If we suck he won't want to sign here for sure, but comcast has the moneys and thanks to Hextall some cap space. 

Probably not going to happen but he would stabilize some the defense. 

Archived