It's Demko time!!

yave1964

thatcher.jpg.e7cb19c6575781315dd110adf7eab589.jpg

Small deal between the Canucks and the Senators today with possible large implications for both.

Vancouver gets: Taylor Pyatt, a 13th forward not much of a player. McKenna, an AHL goalie pressed into duty because of injuries to the Ottawa net and a 6th round pick.

Ottawa gets Anders Nilsson who in two years as a backup in Vancouver went 10-27 and Darren Archibald who has been a meh prospect forever now and who looks like he is just a body to even out the players involved.

A bunch of hot garbage in other words but it may be a sign of things to come for both.

First Ottawa seems almost certain to trade Craig Anderson at some point now and ride out the season with Nilsson in net. A contender wanting a veteran goalie will take a shot at him. 

Vancouver likely will ship McKenna to the AHL and call up top prospect Thatcher Demko to share the net at the least and possibly become the primary starter after two very successful seasons with Utica in the AHL. Demko is a California boy, a big surfer looking dude who Benning has shown surprising patience with as he developed. Moving Nilsson clears the way for him to get his shot probably moving Markstrom to the backup role for the remaining of the season to see what Demko can do.

So a trade of junk for junk has implication for an aging brittle goalie and for a kid chomping at the bit wanting a shot.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
added photo
  • Like 1

Good post as always @yave1964

When I saw the deal that went down, my first thought was Ottawa needed an NHL experienced guy to fill in for Anderson while he recovers from whatever ails him currently.
But yea, Anderson on the move is very plausible..... as is the imminent firesale I think the Sens will have at or around the trade deadline.
I expect players to be shipped left n right for younger almost NHL ready players or lots of picks while they take a bunch of middling to low rent players off contenders' hands.

Besides...they have a certain Mr. Hughes they may want to try and go for in the draft...….  :shifty:

As for Vancouver, if this Demko dude is the real deal, then it's about time!

The team, despite all sorts of holes on the team, has still managed to play respectable hockey, even though I still think they miss the playoffs this year.
And they have some nice young players too and their current goaltending situation is the one big eyesore there.
Neither of Markstrom or Nilsson were ever going to be long term solutions in net for the team, so Thatcher time it is.

What's interesting is, Vancouve DOES seem to play a rather defense first style right now (likely out of necessity), so Thatcher should find himself in a situation where the team in front of him may actually limit Grade A scoring chances against him, even if they don't score a ton for him.

We seem to be seeing quite a number of transitions league wide from veteran netminders to young up n comers so I guess we can add Thatcher Demko to that list as well.

Just now, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Ottawa traded their first rounder for Duchene so Colorad would get Hughes if Ottawa were to win the lottery which is really painful when you consider that Duchene and Stone are UFA at seasons end as well. Let the tire fire continue.

Wow.
Talk about hindsight still being blind for Ottawa... lol.

Oh well....who comes after Hughes....they got a Matthews, Drouin, or Hanfian in there somewhere for the Sens?
No?
How about a Leino?  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Giving this a thread ***BUMP*** because even though it is an older thread, it does have bearing on what is going on with the Vancouver Canucks today!
And thanks to one mr. @yave1964 who always seems to have a nose for what is interesting and relevant in the NHL for more than just any given day.

Forgetting all the Ottawa Senators stuff (they aren't relevant here....nor, sadly in the NHL landscape at the moment)….but we can talk about Thatcher Demko.

Just recently, Jacob Markstrom needed to take some personal time and Demko was given the net...……….and didn't play badly at all.
Well, Markstrom is back and he is still the number one, but it seems the Canucks are very open to doing something of a timeshare with Demko and Markstrom and that probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

The Canucks still have some growing pains to go through, but they play a decent enough brand of hockey where Demko in the nets wouldn't exactly be "thrown to the wolves".
Markstrom can still draw the tough assignments and shoulder the scrutiny (he actually is playing better than I thought I would ever give him credit for), but getting Demko into more games "safely" seems like a good long term approach.

Markstrom is in contract year to go along with his stellar play so far (take that for whatever you will), so if this season is somewhat of an audition year for Demko, the Canucks may sneakily have their number one in place for NEXT season.

I have taken an interest in the Canucks this year (some of you may already know I morph into a pseudo-fan of certain teams every year based on what that team may have done in a given off season or who is playing on there), and will definitely be following the exploits of guys like JT Miller, Alex Edler, Brock Boeser, Bo Horvat, and yes, Thatcher Demko.

Is it Demko time?
Hmmm....probably not a full-on yet, but we might be getting close!

• Like 1