Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL
pilldoc

2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hmm, forgot about the actual draft rankings. If Vilardi was #3, then maybe Hextall drafts him?

Was Heiskanen #4?

It was: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson. Vilardi was taken 11th.

Edited by elmatus
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

It was: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson. Vilardi was taken 11th.

That was the actual draft, right?

I meant the final rankings pre-draft.

Just found them - 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

According to that, the NHL Draft Final Rankings were

Patrick

Hischier

Heiskanen

Mittelstadt

Makar

Glass

Vilardi

Pettersson

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, brelic said:

Was Heiskanen #4?

yeah ... I think so ....... he might have been #3 .....

EDIT: Nevermind .... @elmatus answered the question above ..thanks! :)

Edited by pilldoc

21 minutes ago, vis said:

Would you trade JVR (i.e., his contract) for Luke Schenn (i.e., his contract) right now?

Not gonna lie...I'd be pretty tempted.

I dont have a clue about JvR.   He was hurt and this team is a disaster.   His line mates are not helping the matter either.   I think JvR is what he is - a big body that can score in front of the net and has great hands.   Never been a huge fan but he puts up goals like he did in Tronno I can live with him.  

Or, if he were traded I wouldn't lose sleep :)

ISS Final Rankings June 2017  Actual Draft Order
1 Patrick, Nolan C 1 Nico Hischier (C)
2 Hischier, Nico C 2 Nolan Patrick (C)
3 Vilardi, Gabe C 3 Miro Heiskanen (D)
4 Heiskanen, Miro D 4 Cale Makar (D)
5 Tippett, Owen RW 5 Elias Pettersson (C)
6 Glass, Cody C 6 Cody Glass (C)
7 Mittelstadt, Casey C 7 Lias Andersson (C)
8 Liljegren, Timothy D 8 Casey Mittelstadt (C)
9 Makar, Cale D 9 Michael Rasmussen (C)
10 Rasmussen, Michael C 10 Owen Tippett (RW)
11 Nick Suzuki   11 Gabriel Vilardi (C)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:
ISS Final Rankings June 2017  Actual Draft Order
1 Patrick, Nolan C 1 Nico Hischier (C)
2 Hischier, Nico C 2 Nolan Patrick (C)
3 Vilardi, Gabe C 3 Miro Heiskanen (D)
4 Heiskanen, Miro D 4 Cale Makar (D)
5 Tippett, Owen RW 5 Elias Pettersson (C)
6 Glass, Cody C 6 Cody Glass (C)
7 Mittelstadt, Casey C 7 Lias Andersson (C)
8 Liljegren, Timothy D 8 Casey Mittelstadt (C)
9 Makar, Cale D 9 Michael Rasmussen (C)
10 Rasmussen, Michael C 10 Owen Tippett (RW)
11 Nick Suzuki   11 Gabriel Vilardi (C)

If I recall, the knock on Vilardi was speed/skating.

I don't know if there was a clear #3.

Props to the Canucks' staff for selecting Pettersson.

Edited by vis
  • Like 2

So getting the thread topic back on topic, I think most of us all agree to some extend that the Flyers need some type of dynamic player.  I think most of us agree that it is too soon to call Patrick a bust, BUT it would have better served him AND the Flyers had he gone back to his junior team after he was drafted. 

So that brings us back to the original thought ......  if not Hughes...then who?  My biggest concern about Hughes is 1) his size ..5'10" and 170 lbs and 2) taken from someone's opinion who has seen both players in person ....

Although Jack Hughes is a superbly talented stick handler and a very shifty skater, I find that he tries to avoid contact whenever he carries the puck; when he skates and dekes around opposing players, he isn't pushing his way past them so much as he is trying to squeeze his body around them. There is a difference between the two, as one requires precision and no obstacles to slow one down; the other -- active, powerful maneuvering -- is to be elusive, but to be able to push past obstacles. Both players can cut around opponents and drive to the net, but Kakko has a much more powerful frame. Kakko has gained some speed this year, and is impressively agile on his skates. As a stick handler, Hughes is very poised and is always in control, but he is physically weaker on the puck than Kakko; whenever he is clipped by an opposing body, the puck starts to get away from him. Kakko, like Hughes, possesses quick hands, but controls the puck better in traffic, especially along the boards. This is aggressive maneuvering, not passive.

Hughes is a pass-first playmaker with a shot that lacks power.

I will admit that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to judging hockey talent in a 17 and 18 year old.  I try to read up on as much information for each player listed above, then I will draw my own conclusions.  (I have no idea if I am right or not but will try to trust others who know more than me). 

I am NOT stating Hughes may or may not become an elite player, but from what I am reading above from everyone's comments is that they want the Flyers to draft a "Dynamic" player.  Hughes may or may not fit that bill.  Note... Hughes is a very slick player with a high hockey IQ, but his small frame really worries me.

I'm personally leaning towards Kaapo at this point.  Kaapo Kakko is doing very well with  Liiga as a 17-year-old player with 20 points (9G, 11A) in 27 games against Finland's top professional players.

@pilldoc

From that write up, it sounds like both are very close in terms of ranking. I don’t know how much debate there is about the #1 prospect for the upcoming draft. 

It definitely sounds like we need a Kakko more than a Hughes at this point. If Patrick can become a #1 C, having Kakko on the wing would be a great duo.

On the other hand, Hughes/Patrick/Couturier/Frost down the middle sounds pretty good.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brelic said:

@pilldoc

From that write up, it sounds like both are very close in terms of ranking. I don’t know how much debate there is about the #1 prospect for the upcoming draft. 

It definitely sounds like we need a Kakko more than a Hughes at this point. If Patrick can become a #1 C, having Kakko on the wing would be a great duo.

On the other hand, Hughes/Patrick/Couturier/Frost down the middle sounds pretty good.

I'm honestly not sure Patrick is 1C material. I mean, I certainly hope he becomes that, but it seems more likely to me right now that someone else will take that spot by the time he's considered "ready". He's not outplaying Couturier, and Couts isn't really an elite 1C either. I feel like if he was to be a true 1C, we would have seen some flashes of that already. We really haven't. We haven't seen much of anything from him in fact. We've seen enough to say he's probably an NHL level player, and that's about it.

As far as Hughes vs Kakko vs whoever, this feels like a wash to me. As of this moment, it seems largely certain that Hughes will go no.1. Of course, we've mentioned before that getting the no.1 pick requires substantial luck above all else (

Hidden Content

). This is a lot like the Hischier/Patrick debate. At the end of the day, we'll pick whoever we end up with. Chances are firmly against that being Hughes. If Kakko is no.2, chances aren't great there either.

If we extend our look to players who may be in the 1-5 range, and focus most especially on those who might be 3-5, that would make much more sense. Put another way, unless the team goes on a surprising tear, chances are very good we'll have a pick somewhere between 3-5 in this upcoming draft. Who do we get in that range?

Edited by elmatus

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, elmatus said:

chances are very good we'll have a pick somewhere between 3-5 in this upcoming draft. Who do we get in that range?

From the ISS Current Rankings I would say 1 of the following 3 players .....

image.png.08bffafb314d5af21c4b8ce56c35019b.png                

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

We will take the Mike Ricci type guy and pass on the Jagr guy.

Hidden Content

Ran about 20 simulations.... Hughes came up on the 1st try and then twice after. Kakko came up about 3-4 times as well.

Most common pick for the Flyers was (4th overall) Kirby Dach followed by (3rd overall) Dylan Cozens. 

That kind of surprised me, but then I realized that there's a greater chance the Flyers pick outside of the top 3 according to the odds (50.6%).

I'm starting to lean towards prying that Colorado pick with a bold move - Voracek + or Giroux.

Two top-4 picks would be pretty sweet, even if it sets things back a few years. 

I can't imagine Giroux NOT being ok to go to the Avs.

• Like 2

It's like 2007 all over again. 

So.... I guess Flyers/Hawks in the SCF next year?

QUICK! Get Leighton on the phone!

ugh.JPG

1 hour ago, brelic said:

So.... I guess Flyers/Hawks in the SCF next year?

QUICK! Get Leighton on the phone!

ugh.JPG

I think this draft is better than that one though.

God I HOPE it is...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I would be ok with Kakko at #2 this time unlike i wasn't happy with JVR back in 2007.

And look here he is again.

Kakko i have seen being compared upside to Laine. And i would like like that.

Plus he is already NHL size. 6-2 185. I would be ok with that.

Then this offseason if they don't move him during the season maybe they can ship Jake outta here.

• Like 1

FWIW.... I’m leaning towards Kakko myself. Considered a dynamic player, he is doing very well in the top Finnish League....

• Like 1